Waste Management Phoenix Open > January 29th - February 1st

Aidymac

Re: Waste Management Phoenix Open > January 29th - February 1st I'm a big believer this weekend in the prospects of Gary Woodland (40 - Betfair). With former winners here such as JB Holmes, Kyle Stanley, Kevin Stadler and Phil, this is a course where distance off the tee often goes a long way. What's interesting to note though is there has been quite a bit of work done on the course since last time and from what I've read this will put a bit more of a premium on hitting greens. Though length of the tee is no doubt Woodland's biggest strength, he does hit a lot of greens when on form. Woodland was 3rd in his last start at the Sony Open which was his 2nd Top 3 of the season after a 2nd in the CIMB. He is also a player that seems to back up strong results -- his maiden win came a couple of months after he lost a playoff in the 2011 Humana and in between that near miss and first victory he also managed a 5th and a 6th -- notable here as the 5th was at this event. Looking further on his career, his 2nd career win at the 2013 Reno Taho open was followed up by a 2nd place finished 2 weeks later in the Barclays. A few months later he lost a playoff to Ryan Moore in the 2013 CIMB Classic and was in contention again at last year's Farmer's Insurance, where a 10th placed finish fails to tell the whole story as he led going into Sunday. Whilst you could make a case that the follow up 3rd at the Sony Open was the instance of repeat good form to his 2nd at the CIMB, I feel that Woodland is still playing well enough to challenge again, and with the course seemingly perfect for his skillset, I'm very keen to have him on my side this week.

Re: Waste Management Phoenix Open > January 29th - February 1st Jordan Spieth - 5 Points each-way @ 16/1 Boylesports This promises to be a brilliant weekend with the famous 16th hole and the return of Tiger Woods, but it is the young prospect Spieth that interests me as a major bet this weekend. This will be Spieth's first time playing in this event and it should be the perfect warm up en route to the Masters, a tournament that he probably should have won last year to claim his first major. He finished 2nd which was still an incredible achievement and with good Ryder Cup experience under his belt, he can make this year a memorable one. He has had 18 Top 10 finishes since he turned pro in 2012 and as an amateur he won the 2009 and 2011 US Junior Championships. He is a star on the rise. Bill Haas - 4 Points each-way @ 30/1 Boylesports Hardly anyone fancied Bill Haas to win the Humana last weekend, he even told his wife pre-tournament that he didn't stand a chance and his game was all over the place. Well, whatever happened, he came out and he played sublime golf to win the tournament for the second time and I was particularly impressed with his final round display, which was pretty flawless from tee to green. This has to give him massive confidence coming here this week, he is hitting it long and straight off the tee and his putting was tremendous last weekend. I am generally not a fan of backing a golfer the week after he won, but I think he has solid credentials once more. He finished T6 here in 2013 and T19 in 2012 so he knows his way around here. Ryan Palmer - 3.5 Points each-way @ 33/1 Boylesports Palmer has to be one of the most frustrating players in the game at the moment. He is a player with bags of ability, but he always seems to throw away a winning chance when he gets into contention. He has now gone 122 events without a win on the PGA Tour but I genuinely think he has the game to win one soon, if he can just keep it together mentally. He had a great chance in the Humana last weekend, tied for the lead, then he puts the ball in the water and takes a double or triple to end his chances. He has been playing very well, no worse than T22 in his first four events of the season and he finished 5th here in Phoenix two years ago.

Re: Waste Management Phoenix Open > January 29th - February 1st So we get the return of Tiger Woods at TPC Scottsdale this week. The real story though is that we have got a top-draw tournament on our hands with known winners all over the golf course. Bubba Watson, Matt Kuchar, Patrick Reed, Hunter Mahan, Zach Johnson, Bill Haas and naturally Tiger's old foe Phil Mickelson, who happens to have the best career record around the Stadium Course. Throw in the "young bucks" Jordan Spieth and Hideki Matsuyama and outside Jimmy Walker and the best Europeans we have a seriously strong golf tournament, with a vast number of sub-plots. The re-designed course still suits ball-strikers who can hit plenty of greens and undoubtedly it also suits players who can stop the ball quickly with a high ball flight. Harris English and Ben Martin deserve respect this week and if trading is your game you could do worse than investing in a portfolio which could include Andres Gonzales, John Merrick, Mark Wilson, Aaron Baddeley, Pat Perez, Geoff Ogilvy, James Hahn or even Morgan Hoffmann (remember him in Denver at altitude in the FEC PlayOffs?). I have a sneaky feeling that Phil will go well from Friday onwards and my main bets are on Hideki Matsuyama 25/1 (33/1 first showing), Gary Woodland 28/1 (40/1 first showing) and Scott Piercy 40/1 (50/1 first showing).

Re: Waste Management Phoenix Open > January 29th - February 1st Tournament preview: 1pt ew B.Steele to win WM Phoenix Open 45/1 Skybet (1/4 1-5) This is always a good tournament to watch with the stadium arena around the famous 16th hole. One man who seems to enjoy it around here is Brendan Steele. He hasn’t been outside the top six in his last three trips to Scottsdale and further confidence comes from his record on the European Tour’s stadium course in Paris where he has two top 10s in two visits. He comes in here off the back of a runner up spot to Bill Haas in the Humana last week so the American ticks nearly every box this week. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/wm-phoenix-open-betting-brendan-steele-can-enjoy-scottsdale-surroundings-again

Re: Waste Management Phoenix Open > January 29th - February 1st Top player previews: 2pts F.Molinari Top European 9/2 William Hill Francesco Molinari may be a rookie here but I think he is a rookie with a difference. With the changes to this course in the last year course form might not be as essential as before but the course layout and design should suit him down to a tee. We know the rowdy atmosphere and stadium arena holds no fears because he has a wonderful record in the Open de France which is on a similar layout. If hitting fairways and greens is the way forward this week, and everything suggests it is, then Molinari is assured to go well and at 9/2 he looks the man to be with here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/wm-phoenix-open-betting-francesco-molinari-has-everything-in-his-favour-in-european-market 2pts S-M.Bae Top Asian 5/1 Bet365 Sang-Moon Bae opened up this season with a win in the Frys.com Open and I fancy him to go well here too given how well he hits the ball. Bae sits in the top 15 in ball striking this season and inside the top 10 in Greens in Regulation so he is going to give himself a number of looks at birdie this week which makes him look the value alternative to the classy Matsuyama in this one. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/wm-phoenix-open-betting-sang-moon-bae-can-prove-the-best-of-the-asian-dozen

Re: Waste Management Phoenix Open > January 29th - February 1st A player who i believe could go well this week is Martin Flores who shot an encouraging 65 in the second round of the Humana last week.He has previously shot a 65 in the first round of this tournament two years ago.For first round leader he is averaging around 200 to 1 and for outright he is as high as 500s but averaging 300s. I have been watching his progress over the last two seasons and am of the opinion that when he does achieve the breakthru win he can compete consistently in many tournaments.

Re: Waste Management Phoenix Open > January 29th - February 1st

Jordan Spieth - 5 Points each-way @ 16/1 Boylesports This promises to be a brilliant weekend with the famous 16th hole and the return of Tiger Woods, but it is the young prospect Spieth that interests me as a major bet this weekend. This will be Spieth's first time playing in this event and it should be the perfect warm up en route to the Masters, a tournament that he probably should have won last year to claim his first major. He finished 2nd which was still an incredible achievement and with good Ryder Cup experience under his belt, he can make this year a memorable one. He has had 18 Top 10 finishes since he turned pro in 2012 and as an amateur he won the 2009 and 2011 US Junior Championships. He is a star on the rise. Bill Haas - 4 Points each-way @ 30/1 Boylesports Hardly anyone fancied Bill Haas to win the Humana last weekend, he even told his wife pre-tournament that he didn't stand a chance and his game was all over the place. Well, whatever happened, he came out and he played sublime golf to win the tournament for the second time and I was particularly impressed with his final round display, which was pretty flawless from tee to green. This has to give him massive confidence coming here this week, he is hitting it long and straight off the tee and his putting was tremendous last weekend. I am generally not a fan of backing a golfer the week after he won, but I think he has solid credentials once more. He finished T6 here in 2013 and T19 in 2012 so he knows his way around here. Ryan Palmer - 3.5 Points each-way @ 33/1 Boylesports Palmer has to be one of the most frustrating players in the game at the moment. He is a player with bags of ability, but he always seems to throw away a winning chance when he gets into contention. He has now gone 122 events without a win on the PGA Tour but I genuinely think he has the game to win one soon, if he can just keep it together mentally. He had a great chance in the Humana last weekend, tied for the lead, then he puts the ball in the water and takes a double or triple to end his chances. He has been playing very well, no worse than T22 in his first four events of the season and he finished 5th here in Phoenix two years ago.
This is getting frustrating. :lol 4 weeks into the year, and 4 x 2nd's or 3rd's. Palmer played well so can't fault him one bit. Season Total Stake - 100 Points Season Total Returns - 120.05 Points Season Total Profit - +20.05 Points PS.. Unlucky with Matsuyama Bamford. I had him backed 4 weeks ago when he was placed. His swing loses rhythm when he is under pressure, that stall at the top of the swing is holding him back when he is in a winning position.