** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Hyundai Tournament Of Champions > January 9th - 12th

Aidymac

Re: Hyundai Tournament Of Champions > January 9th - 12th Brian Harman E/W @ 46 Bet365 1/4 1-4 Going very low is required here and for this reason it's little surprise to me that there is an excellent correlation between this event and the John Deere Classic, which is regularly amongst the lowest winning scores each season. Last year's ToC winner Zach Johnson has won John Deere once and finished twice there a further two times. 3x John Deere winner Steve Stricker and 1x time winner Jonathan Byrd join Zach Johnson in winning 3 of the last 4 editions of the Tournament of Champions. 2013 John Deere winner was Jordan Speith, and he finished 2nd in the ToC last year. For me there's a genuine foundation for this correlation as both courses require players to hit a lot of birdies and Harman, winner of the John Deere last year, fits the bill nicely. So precise was his approach play in winning the John Deere Classic he actually ended the tournament with a negative different for Strokes Gained Putting, almost unheard of amongst Tournament winners. Whilst the beginning of the new year may mean not all players are at the top of their games, I feel the value here is strong. If Harman can replicate his great approach play from his John Deere win, or even just putt better, I think he'll be in contention on Sunday.

Re: Hyundai Tournament Of Champions > January 9th - 12th Well, here we go, the start of the golf season again ! Two for me in the Tournament of Champions. 2 pts win Matt Kuchar @ 9/1 Bet 365 Kuch has an excellent record round here, on a course where it is a big plus to have course form to your name. His record reads 3-T6-T9-T6 and he'd have finished a lot closer last year had it not been for the one bad round, where he shot 75. He rallied well in the final round, to move up from 16th to a share of 6th, and you were very much left wondering what could have been. He's generally a laid back character, and I can see him going close again this year. 1 pt e/w Chris Kirk : 20/1 Coral (1/4 odds, 4 places) Kirk had his best ever year on the PGA tour last year with 2 wins to his name, and he was another who would have finished closer in this event last year had it not been for one poor round. He was actually leading after the first round, and a poor 2nd round then put him out of contention. If he can make the same kind of start this year, I feel he is much better equipped to hold the form through to the finish. Add to that his remarkable consistency, making 28/30 cuts throughout the year, I think he's a good bet for the first tournament of the year at 20/1.

Re: Hyundai Tournament Of Champions > January 9th - 12th Very best of luck guys. Hideki Matsuyama - 5 Points each-way @ 16/1 Boylesports There are 12 players making their Kapalua debuts this weekend and Hideki is one of those, and he is the highest ranked of those. The 22 year old is a huge talent and is already ranked 16th in the World. He was playing very well before the Christmas break, with a third place finish in the Fry's, a Top 10 in the Shriners and 13th in the World Challenge when last seen. He won the Memorial in a play-off last year and he will be improving with age. I can see him getting involved this weekend. He finished last term 6th on tour for strokes gained. Kevin Streelman - 4 Points each-way @ 33/1 Paddy Power I think we all know how talented Streelman is, and we all remember his win in the Travelers last season. To birdie the last seven holes in a row and win the tournament was an incredible achievement. He showed solid form again before the Christmas break when 2nd in the Shriners, shooting a low -18 over the four rounds. He loves it in this event too and was T3 here last year, shooting -17 over the four rounds. He is very capable with the putter and has to enter the equation. JB Holmes - 3.5 Points each-way @ 50/1 Paddy Power I, like many, thought JB Holmes would no longer be seen on tour after he had to have brain surgery. Not only did he get back on tour, he won the Wells Fargo last May, which was an incredible achievement considering the pain and misery the man must have went through. He is a very talented player and should have won a lot more than what he has done, but he is in a happy place right now, just glad to be back playing golf. He hits it long and straight off the tee and looks a bit of value this weekend to put in a good showing.

Re: Hyundai Tournament Of Champions > January 9th - 12th The annual return to Kapalua always marks the start of the golfing year (calendar if not season). The Hyundai Tournament of Champions is always a relaxed affair, with the winners from the previous year, gathering for a birdie-fest on the island of Maui. 34 of 38 qualifiers play in 2015 with Zach Johnson and Geoff Ogilvy the only competitors who have previously won here. There is much talk about the 'Kapalua Curse' where the winner of the ToC doesn't win again that season - it's been the case across Zach, Dustin, Steve, Jonathan and Geoff in recent years and it's also noticeable that reigning Major Champions haven't had much success here. Indeed only TW and the Big Easy have won on Maui after capturing a Major the year prior - the last time that happened was 2003. Winners here tend to have course experience and at least a single T10 here as the course is quirky - a Par 73 with lot's of hills, blind drives/approach shots and large undulating greens that have plenty of grain. In the main, approach play and putting is they key - and with low scoring likely with hardly any wind forecast, expect low scoring. Therefore I'm looking at Matt Kuchar to go extremely close at 9/1 - I'm going Win only on Kooch. Of the longer prices Tim Clark (40/1), Russell Henley (40/1), Ben Martin (66/1) and Scott Stallings (80/1) - all deserve real attention - I'm thinking at least one will contend.

Re: Hyundai Tournament Of Champions > January 9th - 12th Tournament preview: 1pt ew G.Ogilvy to win Hyundai Tournament of Champions 40/1 Betfred (1/4 1-4) One man who will be delighted to be back at Kapalua is Geoff Ogilvy and I think he has a great chance this week. His high ball flight should see him able to get closer to these pins which could be important and we know he loves the place because he has won on his only two starts here. In fact he hasn’t shot a round above 69 in the eight rounds that he has played here and he has mentioned this week how comfortable he feels on the golf course. After a resurgence in form in the back end of 2014 the Australian looks overpriced to me here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/hyundai-tournament-of-champions-betting-geoff-ogilvy-can-rule-in-hawaii-once-again

Re: Hyundai Tournament Of Champions > January 9th - 12th Top American preview: 1pt ew R.Henley Top American 28/1 Stan James (1/4 1-4) One man who has had success in Hawaii already in his career is Russell Henley and I think he can go well again this week. We know he will be fine with the atmospheric conditions and when the short stick is working he can be a match for anyone, as he has shown a few times in his career. He has finished in the top five in his last two starts so that shows his game is in good shape and he can go well at a big price here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/hyundai-tournament-of-champions-betting-russell-henley-could-be-the-best-american-here

Re: Hyundai Tournament Of Champions > January 9th - 12th Billy Horschel EW 22/1 Betfred; 1/4 1,2,3,4 The 2014 Fed-Ex cup winner returns to the fray in this limited players tournament. At first glance the field would appear fairly moderate. No Mc Ilroy, Woods, Stenson or Mickleson. Then we notice, Watson, Kuchar, Day and last years winner Zach Johnson and it's not so weak after all. The tournament in fact is fairly open and a case can be made for the majority of the field in this limited format as reflected in the diversity of the selections above. I will add another to the list in the form of Billy Horschel. The Floridian was highly impressive in his charge towards the Fed-Ex title last year and a player who firmly believes in himself. Two wins and a second place in three weeks in September was blistering stuff. Horschel signed off for Christmas with a 3rd place in the Frank Templeton Pairs shootout. A bit of a fun tournament, but he was still hitting the ball well. Horschel played kapalau for the first time last year and after carding two 72's in the opening rounds he went on to finish T6 at -14. Maybe Billy used the first couple of rounds to map the course before launching an all guns attack. He should know his way around the venue now. Plenty of dangers to the selection. To many to detail. GL with your wagers.

Re: Hyundai Tournament Of Champions > January 9th - 12th

Very best of luck guys. Hideki Matsuyama - 5 Points each-way @ 16/1 Boylesports There are 12 players making their Kapalua debuts this weekend and Hideki is one of those, and he is the highest ranked of those. The 22 year old is a huge talent and is already ranked 16th in the World. He was playing very well before the Christmas break, with a third place finish in the Fry's, a Top 10 in the Shriners and 13th in the World Challenge when last seen. He won the Memorial in a play-off last year and he will be improving with age. I can see him getting involved this weekend. He finished last term 6th on tour for strokes gained. Kevin Streelman - 4 Points each-way @ 33/1 Paddy Power I think we all know how talented Streelman is, and we all remember his win in the Travelers last season. To birdie the last seven holes in a row and win the tournament was an incredible achievement. He showed solid form again before the Christmas break when 2nd in the Shriners, shooting a low -18 over the four rounds. He loves it in this event too and was T3 here last year, shooting -17 over the four rounds. He is very capable with the putter and has to enter the equation. JB Holmes - 3.5 Points each-way @ 50/1 Paddy Power I, like many, thought JB Holmes would no longer be seen on tour after he had to have brain surgery. Not only did he get back on tour, he won the Wells Fargo last May, which was an incredible achievement considering the pain and misery the man must have went through. He is a very talented player and should have won a lot more than what he has done, but he is in a happy place right now, just glad to be back playing golf. He hits it long and straight off the tee and looks a bit of value this weekend to put in a good showing.
Matsuyama really struggled when it mattered the most last night. It seems his long pause at the top of his swing sometimes causes him to delay his body and he leaves the club behind him, which forces the ball out to the right. This is a problem he needs to address if he is to be a "superstar".. Putter also let him down bigtime, he missed a few putts inside 10 feet that were very makable, and he had a dead straight 7 footer to get into the play-off which he pulled. Total Stake - 25 Points Total Returns - 21.67 Points Total P/L - Minus 3.33 Points

Top American preview: 1pt ew R.Henley Top American 28/1 Stan James (1/4 1-4) One man who has had success in Hawaii already in his career is Russell Henley and I think he can go well again this week. We know he will be fine with the atmospheric conditions and when the short stick is working he can be a match for anyone, as he has shown a few times in his career. He has finished in the top five in his last two starts so that shows his game is in good shape and he can go well at a big price here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/hyundai-tournament-of-champions-betting-russell-henley-could-be-the-best-american-here
Nice place money Kev. :)

Ulucky Aidy. The putt on the 18th was a reflection of a guy who was melting under the pressure. Nice EW call Kev
Without doubt Jackie, in fact he seemed to melt the entire way round, everything was a struggle.. Surprised at the way Walker folded, given his performance at the Ryder Cup and winning 3 times last term... His biggest mistake was being happy with his 3 shot lead.

Without doubt Jackie' date=' in fact he seemed to melt the entire way round, everything was a struggle.. Surprised at the way Walker folded, given his performance at the Ryder Cup and winning 3 times last term... His biggest mistake was being happy with his 3 shot lead.[/quote'] Yes Aidy, there were more melters in Hawaii on Monday than in a Madame Tussaud's fire. One more for the club was Moon-Bae. I backed him after the 1st round. I couldn't believe his front nine last night, then he shoots -4 on the back nine to rub salt in the wounds. I guess he was probably watchin out for the military police hiding in the mangroves and ready to pounce. It's difficult to dodge the draft and play good golf at the same time!

Well, here we go, the start of the golf season again ! Two for me in the Tournament of Champions. 2 pts win Matt Kuchar @ 9/1 Bet 365 Kuch has an excellent record round here, on a course where it is a big plus to have course form to your name. His record reads 3-T6-T9-T6 and he'd have finished a lot closer last year had it not been for the one bad round, where he shot 75. He rallied well in the final round, to move up from 16th to a share of 6th, and you were very much left wondering what could have been. He's generally a laid back character, and I can see him going close again this year. 1 pt e/w Chris Kirk : 20/1 Coral (1/4 odds, 4 places) Kirk had his best ever year on the PGA tour last year with 2 wins to his name, and he was another who would have finished closer in this event last year had it not been for one poor round. He was actually leading after the first round, and a poor 2nd round then put him out of contention. If he can make the same kind of start this year, I feel he is much better equipped to hold the form through to the finish. Add to that his remarkable consistency, making 28/30 cuts throughout the year, I think he's a good bet for the first tournament of the year at 20/1.
Shame Kirk didn't let the handbrake off until Monday Steward. The talent is there. Should be one to follow.