** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

System based on past races' finishing time

Hi, I'm new to horse racing and was thinking to come up with a system to start with. Anyone tried before ranking the horses based on their past finishing time for a certain distance? e.g. past 5 races in a 4000 metres distance race Any such data available and where? By the way, by no means it is used to determine the winner but just to narrow down the choices and start from there in developing a system. Thanks!

Re: System based on past races' finishing time Hi Real, if you're new to racing I think this is a bit complex for a first time system, plus you'd probably encounter false data because some horses would be finishing off strongly and some others would be easing up. Nevertheless, if you did want to pursue it then I believe it would be beneficial to look at speed figures - you may have to do some calculations if you wanted to convert all races to 4000m. They are quite widely available on a number of sites. I don't know anywhere that lists individual finishing times but you can certainly get the winner's finishing time and work from that.

Re: System based on past races' finishing time

Hi Real, if you're new to racing I think this is a bit complex for a first time system, plus you'd probably encounter false data because some horses would be finishing off strongly and some others would be easing up. Nevertheless, if you did want to pursue it then I believe it would be beneficial to look at speed figures - you may have to do some calculations if you wanted to convert all races to 4000m. They are quite widely available on a number of sites. I don't know anywhere that lists individual finishing times but you can certainly get the winner's finishing time and work from that.
again, thanks for your suggestions. But I haven't think about going into that complex situations where I have to convert. Basically I just thought of gathering some of the fastest recent race finishing time of the horses, to know about their potential. Example: Horse A's fastest finishing time in his past 5 races in a 1200 metres distance is 1:09:33, while Horse B's fastest finishing time in his past 5 races in a 1200 metres distance is 1:11:23. From this stat, I can rule out Horse B in beating Horse A in a 1200m race due to the potential of Horse A, and of course if everything goes smoothly.