** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

UEFA Champions League Qualifying > August 19th & 20th

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifying > August 19th & 20th

I think that poor Zenit results in Europe in recent years mostly had to do with Spalletti's defensive tactics in the away games. Now that he's gone' date=' with the new coach I expect to see a team that better utilizes the strengths of its quality players, hopefully.[/quote'] I noticed they seemed a lot more positive when I saw them recently.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10580205_614410388677883_5176174217288870097_n_j.jpg

One is for sure, both teams are very motivated to qualify for the group stage - Maribor as they were eliminated in this round in the last two seasons (all four defeats against Dinamo Zagreb and Viktoria Plzen, 0:1 on both occasions at home) and are waiting placement in the CL group for 15 years. Celtic is too great club to not be very motivated after the big failure of Legia Warsaw in the previous round. The match will be played at small stadium Ljudski vrt (with less than 13 thousand fans) which can be an advantage for home side, but the weather conditions will be similar to those in Scotland these days so that acclimatization won't be an issue for the Bhoys. Maribor is the most successful Slovenian club and have won four-in-a-row in the Slovenian First League since the 2010-2011 season and they're without missings tonight. Handanovic (veteran goalie); Stojanovic (very young right back), Rajcevic, Suler (experienced centre backs), Viler (left back) make defensive line, while Filipovic (def midfielder), Dervisevic, Vrsic, Bohar (right winger) and Ibraimi (left winger) will play in midfield with Brazillian Tavares (club's all-time leading goalscorer) in the attack. The team left out without three regular midfielders Milec, Mezga and Cvijanovic in the transfer window, but Ibraimi (who was also Celtic's target this summer) returned from Caglairi and extended his contract. On the other side, the guests arrived without defender A. Matthews and midfielder J. Forrest due to injury, but midfielder D. Boerrigter and Nigerian defender E. Ambrose are avialible again (still I'm not sure that it's good news for the Celts). Also bad news are that club captain S. Brown is long-term injured and newcomer M. Wakaso wasn't signed in time to make the registration deadline on Tuesday night. Their possible line-up is Gordon; Lustig, Denayer, Van Dijk, Izaguirre; McGregor, Johansen, Mulgrew, Berget; Commons; Stokes. Both sides have already started with competitive games a month ago, but it's clear that the Violets are in better form and look much more compact than the Scottish giant at the moment. However, the Bhoys are slowly adapting to the new system and new coach R. Delia which resulted in a convincing league win 6:1 against Dundee last weekend (Maribor lost 1:3 against Celje in the last round). To summarize all: Maribor have all the "conditions" for a historic success, don't even have high pressure before tonight's meeting, but Celtic also can play without pressure cause they are unlikely to display poorer performance than the one from the last round. So we should see an interesting game (and maybe a lot of goals) where really better team should win because I don't expect Celtic underestimate anyone after a lot of bad stuff lately (referee will be P. Kralovec from the game Karagandy 2:0 Celtic last year). I really have respect for the Slovenians and I wish them luck, butthink it's time to wake up for Celtic before returning to Parkhead. Celtic to win (@2.60 and higher at several bookies), low stake since they'll be getting better as time goes on, maybe this is too early for a victory outside of Scotland.

ljudski_vrt_stadium_maribor_slovenia_by_nejcro.jpg

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifying > August 19th & 20th Celtic's Champions League record since 2001 (qualification, group stage and knock-out stage): Home - W28 D7 L8 Away - W9 D4 L30 Celtic's home form is drastically better than their away form. While their away form is not awful, one thing to keep in mind is that this is probably the worst Celtic side since 2003. Maribor's Champions League record since 2000 (qualification): Home - W9 D3 L4 Away - W4 D5 L7 Maribor's home form is also better. This is probably the best Maribor team since 2000. Judging by the statistics, Maribor 0 AH 2.10 Betvictor seems like a good bet.

Celtic's Champions League record since 2003 (qualification, group stage and knock-out stage): Home - W28 D7 L8 Away - W9 D4 L30 Celtic's home form is drastically better than their away form. While their away form is not awful, one thing to keep in mind is that this is probably the worst Celtic side since 2003. Maribor's Champions League record since 2000 (qualification): Home - W9 D3 L4 Away - W4 D5 L7 Maribor's home form is also better. This is probably the best Maribor team since 2000. Judging by the statistics, Maribor 0 AH 2.10 Betvictor seems like a good bet.
I don't think this team is as bad as Tony Mowbrays, we have a new manager and played Warsaw very early on in the season , before ours even started , the new boss needs time to get his own players in and he is starting to make his mark on the players going by the 6-1 win over dundee utd , it wasn't just the scoreline but we played excellent football, something delia stated he will bring to celtic. Ambrose is a liability so I'm hoping hes in the bench , the young defender we got on loan from man city looked very good at the weekend so I'd rather he partnered van dyke and lustig at right back. Forster has now joined Southampton and we have craig Gordon in goal, an adequate replacement if he stays injury free. I'd personally start griffiths up front so we have an outball with his pace , something we lacked away against legia Warsaw. I don't know much about Maribor apart from they beat and put out rangers a few years ago , so I'm taking both teams to score at 4/5 paddy power.

Judging by the statistics' date=' [b']Maribor 0 AH 2.10 Betvictor seems like a good bet.
Don't forget that Maribor played against F91, WIT, Zrinjski, Birkirkara and other similar clubs (difficult to guess from which countries are coming) at home, while Celtic played away against some top European clubs. Whatever, let's hope for a good game, and good luck to you and HastGill.
I'd personally start griffiths up front so we have an outball with his pace , something we lacked away against legia Warsaw.
...and it would be a birthday gift for him. ;)

Don't forget that Maribor played against F91' date=' WIT, Zrinjski, Birkirkara and other similar clubs (difficult to guess from which countries are coming) at home, while Celtic played away against some top European clubs. [/quote'] Well, eight of Celtic's nine CL away wins have been in the qualifiers. Their only victory in the group stage was against Spartak Moscow in 2012.

The game was over 2' date='5 at 14th min. So no stress, no nerves and relax on the couch to enjoy the game[/quote'] so the date didn't work out? Or football took priority? :rollin

• [h=3]LINE-UPS[/h] The big news is that playmaker Kris Commons is not included in the Celtic starting line-up, with Beram Kayal coming in to beef up the midfield. Maribor: Handanovic, Stojanovic, Rajcevic, Suler, Viler, Vrsic, Filipovic, Dervisevic, Bohar, Tavares, Ibraimi. Subs: Cotman, Mejac, Sallalich, Zahovic, Mendy, Arghus, Mertelj. Celtic: Gordon, Lustig, Denayer, van Dijk, Izaguirre, Johansen, Mulgrew, McGregor, Kayal, Berget, Stokes. Subs: Zaluska, Ambrose, Biton, Commons, Pukki, Griffiths, Henderson. Referee: Pavel Kralovec (Czech Republic) A good angle would be Maribor corner supremacy as winger Agim Ibraimi a 25-year-old Macedonian international, who spent last season on loan to Cagliari in Italy's Serie A, starts.

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifying > August 19th & 20th Well I have to admit I overestimated Salzburgs power, but they were also unlucky not to score the 3-0, which would ve sealed the deal, when Kevin Kampl only had the goalkeeper to beat. Of course Malmö had its chances aswell, but that last minute goal was more than lucky. After 90mins the +2 Malmö was a good bet of course, I lost quite an ammount of money last night :( Still think that Salzburg will go through, not because i am a fan of them, but because i think they re the way better side.

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifying > August 19th & 20th Celtic played very good game. They were in control most of the time and should have scored more goals but thanks to the misfortunate Johanssen (defended clear goal for Celtic at the goal line ,epic situation :), and missed one on one later in second half) they didn't. In some period of game the were too careful and with more direct approach the probably would have gained a better result. Anyway, Maribor should be the happier side with the the today's result

Celtic played very good game. They were in control most of the time and should have scored more goals but thanks to the misfortunate Johanssen (defended clear goal for Celtic at the goal line ' date='epic situation :), and missed one on one later in second half) they didn't. In some period of game the were too careful and with more direct approach the probably would have gained a better result. Anyway, Maribor should be the happier side with the the today's result[/quote'] Agree we played good stuff , away goal and should finish the job at celtic park on Tuesday. Plus my bet came in :D

Standard Liege v Zenit I consider Zenit a good bet this week. I should say I backed them a couple of weeks ago away from home against AEL and they lost 1-0 despite dominating the game, I'm willing to consider that a bit of a freak result as they won the second leg 3-0 and have had another couple of weeks together since that game. They have added Javi Garcia to the side since that game - I'm assuming he is registered and can play in this game - from Man City and that would look a very good signing and a statement of intent, they sit top of the Russian league with 4 wins out of 4 so far. They have a fine array of talent in most positions and have added Garay and Garcia this season. Hulk and Rondon are dangerous attacking players and they look well equipped to win this game to me. Standard aren't a team I'm overly familiar with bar their Europa League adventures last season when they became a good side to back against losing 5 of their 6 group games and all 3 home games. They have lost 3 key players from last season in defensive midfielder William Vainqueur (Dinamo Moscow £5m 29 app 1 Goal last season) and strikers Imoh Ezekiel (Al Arabi £7m 48 apps 15 goals) and Michy Batshuayi (Marseille £5m 38 apps 21 goals), trying to replace those kind of goals with Tony Watt who couldn't get in Celtic's team isn't really good enough. They do have some good players but this is likely to be as far as they get and I would be surprised if Zenit don't make it through to the group stage. Obviously we have the problem that Zenit don't have to win this game to go through so I'm happy to place a meatier stake on the DNB at an acceptable price as well as a smaller stake on the straight win, I would probably have Zenit just under evens. Zenit DNB - 1.53 - coral - 10 Points WIN Zenit -0.5AH - 2.05 - pinnacle - 4 Points WIN
Maribor v Celtic Anyone else think Maribor look a bit big tonight? Celtic have a few injuries to contend with and while I won't place too much emphasis on the Legia games, the fact is they lost to a superior side twice and shouldn't be here. The fact they are here is simple good fortune and Legia incompetance from an admin point of view. Captain Scott Brown is still out, Winger James Forrest and defender Adam Matthews are injured and Wakaso Mubarak has not been signed in time. Efe Ambrose has flown out late as they thought he was still suspended but he has been cleared to play. Maribor have no injury concerns and have managed to beat off competition from a number of clubs, including Celtic, to secure winger Agim Ibraimi. The 25-year-old Macedonian international, who spent last season on loan to Cagliari in Italy's Serie A, will be available tonight. They beat Maccabi Tel Aviv in the last round 3-2, I watched Maccabi in the previous round and didn't think they were anything special but I don't think Celtic are either tbh, new systems are being adjusted to and new players signed, I don't think they are settled. With draw cover and the odds over evens I will certainly have a play. Maribor 0AH - 2.06 - pinnacle - 3 Points VOID
The first half was very one-sided Zenit should have scored at least two, they were all over them, Liege were staggeringly bad. Second half they were a bit better and Zenit were a bit sloppy but deserved the win with Liege creating little. Zenit hit the bar and the post and will almost certainly go through, thought Liege were very poor. The Celtic game was pretty poor between two average sides lacking quality. Celtic were the better side but sat back quite a lot as the game went, draw was probably fair and Celtic will be very confident of going through as Maribor offered little.

10580205_614410388677883_5176174217288870097_n_j.jpg

One is for sure, both teams are very motivated to qualify for the group stage - Maribor as they were eliminated in this round in the last two seasons (all four defeats against Dinamo Zagreb and Viktoria Plzen, 0:1 on both occasions at home) and are waiting placement in the CL group for 15 years. Celtic is too great club to not be very motivated after the big failure of Legia Warsaw in the previous round. The match will be played at small stadium Ljudski vrt (with less than 13 thousand fans) which can be an advantage for home side, but the weather conditions will be similar to those in Scotland these days so that acclimatization won't be an issue for the Bhoys. Maribor is the most successful Slovenian club and have won four-in-a-row in the Slovenian First League since the 2010-2011 season and they're without missings tonight. Handanovic (veteran goalie); Stojanovic (very young right back), Rajcevic, Suler (experienced centre backs), Viler (left back) make defensive line, while Filipovic (def midfielder), Dervisevic, Vrsic, Bohar (right winger) and Ibraimi (left winger) will play in midfield with Brazillian Tavares (club's all-time leading goalscorer) in the attack. The team left out without three regular midfielders Milec, Mezga and Cvijanovic in the transfer window, but Ibraimi (who was also Celtic's target this summer) returned from Caglairi and extended his contract. On the other side, the guests arrived without defender A. Matthews and midfielder J. Forrest due to injury, but midfielder D. Boerrigter and Nigerian defender E. Ambrose are avialible again (still I'm not sure that it's good news for the Celts). Also bad news are that club captain S. Brown is long-term injured and newcomer M. Wakaso wasn't signed in time to make the registration deadline on Tuesday night. Their possible line-up is Gordon; Lustig, Denayer, Van Dijk, Izaguirre; McGregor, Johansen, Mulgrew, Berget; Commons; Stokes. Both sides have already started with competitive games a month ago, but it's clear that the Violets are in better form and look much more compact than the Scottish giant at the moment. However, the Bhoys are slowly adapting to the new system and new coach R. Delia which resulted in a convincing league win 6:1 against Dundee last weekend (Maribor lost 1:3 against Celje in the last round). To summarize all: Maribor have all the "conditions" for a historic success, don't even have high pressure before tonight's meeting, but Celtic also can play without pressure cause they are unlikely to display poorer performance than the one from the last round. So we should see an interesting game (and maybe a lot of goals) where really better team should win because I don't expect Celtic underestimate anyone after a lot of bad stuff lately (referee will be P. Kralovec from the game Karagandy 2:0 Celtic last year). I really have respect for the Slovenians and I wish them luck, butthink it's time to wake up for Celtic before returning to Parkhead. Celtic to win (@2.60 and higher at several bookies), low stake since they'll be getting better as time goes on, maybe this is too early for a victory outside of Scotland.

ljudski_vrt_stadium_maribor_slovenia_by_nejcro.jpg

1:1 :eyes