** April Poker League Result : 1st Rav, 2nd kevsul, 3rd McG **
** April Naps Competition Result: 1st Craig bluenose, 2nd BBBC, 3rd LEE-GRAYS. KO Cup Winner dj.orange. Most Winners Johnrobertson **

UEFA Champions League Qualifying > August 19th & 20th

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifying > August 19th & 20th

Good luck to all on Zenit but I can never trust Russian sides away from home. People mention guys like Hulk but he is purely there for the cash' date=' and the questionable motivation could maybe be backed up by results Russian teams tend to come up with, like Zenit's defeat in the last round. Anzhi were a good example of this too. Watched them a few times when they had their money, and some of their performances were appalling.[/quote'] In fairness Zenit are a far different proposition to Anzhi who signed over the hill players like Eto and Carlos on crazy wages then had Russian players making up the rest of the side. Zenit have built up over a number of years and have a first rate team, Garay, Criscito, Danny, Garcia, Witsel, Hulk, Rondon would get in most Premiership sides. The game against AEL was a freak result for me, AEL had 1 shot on target whereas Zenit had 22 on and off target. It is a simplistic argument to say these guys are only motivated by money, all of them would be on 70k+ a week regardless of where they were playing, so I don't really buy it. Like all the top players they want to be playing in the Champions League, and if they are only motivated by money they will certainly be trying to get those win bonuses won't they..;)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifying > August 19th & 20th Napoli - Ath. Bilbao Two strong teams who both want to be on the Champions League Group Stage. Napoli wants something more this year and a good champions league presence is certainly one of their goals.Last year they didn't make it to the 16 round although they gathered 12 points at the group stage Athletic on the other hand is a complete team which has shown what they are capable of last year by finishing 4th in the Primera Division.They want to return to the Champions League group stage after 16 years. My picks for tonight's match : HW at 1.89 @ Marathonbet U 2.5 at 1.86 @ Marathonbet

In fairness Zenit are a far different proposition to Anzhi who signed over the hill players like Eto and Carlos on crazy wages then had Russian players making up the rest of the side. Zenit have built up over a number of years and have a first rate team, Garay, Criscito, Danny, Garcia, Witsel, Hulk, Rondon would get in most Premiership sides. The game against AEL was a freak result for me, AEL had 1 shot on target whereas Zenit had 22 on and off target. It is a simplistic argument to say these guys are only motivated by money, all of them would be on 70k+ a week regardless of where they were playing, so I don't really buy it. Like all the top players they want to be playing in the Champions League, and if they are only motivated by money they will certainly be trying to get those win bonuses won't they..;)
I hardly ever disagree with you Hastgill but I think I agree with Alexc myself. They should win, but they have always flattered to deceive in my opinion and given the quality they have in their squad they have always done a lot worse than what they should do in Europe. Hulk definitely only went there for money, how could he turn that deal down? What Brazilian wants to go to Russia and play in freezing cold temperatures on poor surfaces? I put Zenit on my black list last year. In saying that, they should win this game.

image.jpg

Definitely the most interesting duel of the play off round will be played at San Paolo in front of over 50,000 fans under a clear sky. Both teams have a similar style of play with quick counter attacks and both of them were behind the top clubs in their respective countries last year, it's interesting with identical performance at home (13-4-2). So it's clear why Napoli was named as the favorite tonight. In fact they have won six of seven games at home against some of the top continental clubs (Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Dortmund) in their previous two CL participation. On the other hand, Athletic is also very motivated because it has been over 15 years since their last placement in the CL group stage. Rafael will be in goal, since Pepe Reyna moved at Bayern. Defenders F. Fernandez and P. Armero left the team, C. Zuniga and Henrique are injured, so then defensive line will consist of Maggio, Albiol, Koulibaly (newcomer) and one of Britos or Ghoulam. The Basques will have available the same defenders as last season so it should look like this: Iraizoz; De Marcos (Iraola), Gurpegi (San Jose), Laporte and Balenziaga. In front of "the last wall" both sides will have two defensive midfielders (Inler or Gargano & Jorginho vs Rico & Iturraspe). In the offensive part of the team will be a lot of very good players on both sides with one striker (Callejon, Hamsik, Insigne or Mertens; Higuain or Michu vs Susaeta, Benat, Muniain; Aduriz), but it should be noted that the Neapolitans won't have a few regulars from last season (Dzemaili, Behrami, Pandev), while everyone knows that Bilbao have lost their young star A. Herrera who moved to Man Utd.

1408418818_670584_1408419136_noticia_grande.jpg

From the above it can be concluded that both teams are currently weaker than last year, OK home team have lost more players (altough M. Fellaini and J. de Guzman are on the way to Naples), but still have more better back-up players than tonight's opponent. As I said, formations and their style of play are similar, and on the quality of teams I have nothing else to say. However, what might be most important thing right now is physical fitness level of teams since their domestic competition haven't yet been started, and here guests have the advantage, imo. Because Napoli had 12 players on duty at the WC, while Athletic had none and same time the Basques had twice as many friendly matches in the pre-season. Another interesting fact favors the guests: Of the last 14 meetings between Italian and Spanish sides in UEFA club competition, only one has been won by a Serie A club. Yet, we shouldn't forget that Rafael Benitez is more experienced coach and knows better the opposing team than Ernesto Valverde, but these home odds don't represent value to me at the moment, so my bet is Athletic Bilbao not to lose (@2 and higher at several bookies), but only with low stake as though this is the first competitive match for both teams this season. Hope for a good and exciting game for enjoying with few beers.

image_gallery_uuid_fc53466a_a4ac_4aa5_9d3a_12aba.jpg

I hardly ever disagree with you Hastgill but I think I agree with Alexc myself. They should win, but they have always flattered to deceive in my opinion and given the quality they have in their squad they have always done a lot worse than what they should do in Europe. Hulk definitely only went there for money, how could he turn that deal down? What Brazilian wants to go to Russia and play in freezing cold temperatures on poor surfaces? I put Zenit on my black list last year. In saying that, they should win this game.
I have to say I have been impressed with Zenit recently - Is Villas Boas a good fit there?

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifying > August 19th & 20th Zenit's PL opponents so far have been of very low qualify. Ufa, Torpedo, Arsenal, Ural - these are all bottom 4 material. Their annual budgets are equal to the annual salary of one Zenit player. With all the players that have left, Standard remain a quality opposition. Michy Batshuayi may have left, but I'm sure they have other great talents pushing throught. Well, who would have heard of Michy Batshuayi at this time last year? Zenit are notorious for underperforming. Last year they needed a victory away at Austria in order to qualify from their Champions League group, but got battered 4-1 by a team arguably weaker than Standard. Another example - Auxerre - Zenit.

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifying > August 19th & 20th I found another bet that looks like possible value to me. We all know that Redbull is a powerhouse in Austria but in Europe they failed us more than once except for the game against Ajax. Now I can't care less about the outcome tonight but Malmo to score looks like a cracking bet to me. If you watched a couple of Redbulls games than you would know they press up high in the pitch, choking their opposition with their backline 50m away from their own goal. Huge spaces to exploit if their opponent posesses a fast counter-attack and I do think Malmo is capable of scoring here like they did twice away at Sparta Praag also a great home side. Prices are useless for this game so I did some research about these two teams and find out that Redbull always concedes in The CL. Last 11 games only one cleansheet while Malmo scored in 9 of their last 10 CL games. Interesting stats to be honest. I'm sure we will see Redbull as the dominant side tonight but I surely won't exclude a Malmo goal here and odds around evens I just took are pretty good. Low stakes! Redbull likes to keep the pressure on for 90 minutes but that means there will be chances for Malmo to dive in the holes The home side leaves behind. Goodluck!

I'm sure we will see Redbull as the dominant side tonight but I surely won't exclude a Malmo goal here and odds around evens I just took are pretty good. Low stakes! Redbull likes to keep the pressure on for 90 minutes but that means there will be chances for Malmo to dive in the holes The home side leaves behind. Goodluck!
I watch Salzburg online quite a bit, and you're right, they are vulnerable defensively. In Austria they can usually get away with it because the standard is low and because they have so much strength in attack they normally score a few goals, so they can afford to concede one. In Austria, when they go a few goals ahead, it's much harder for the other team because Salzburg can keep possession pretty well. But they do sometimes lose the ball. I think your bet for Malmo to score at around evens is probably a good one.

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifying > August 19th & 20th Napoli vs A.Bilboa Bet Napoli,what seen of both tems last season fancy Napoli,,unlucky in CL last season to not advance from group stage,Bilbao were poor away last season,there first involment CL since 98/99.Napoli won 6 last 7 home CL,and Benitez seems good coach in European competitions BET NAPOLI 17/20 Sky BET

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifying > August 19th & 20th Odds for Napoli keep on risingot in a drammatic way, but they are rising. This is probably dued to the fact that Benitez should field Britos at left back (instead of better choice Ghoulam, but he is out of form now) and Insigne instead of the better choice of Mertens (same reasoing also here for defence choice). Another factor is taht some Napoli players has few rest after WC, however to be honest I can see that only Mertens and Higuain played a primary role on WC. Others player did not partecipate, apart Inler (that exit very soon) and Insigne that plyed just a few berth of matches.IMO this should not be a determining factor tonight. At my eyes Napoli is stronger on paper than Athletic Bilbao tonight, while at reverse field, in the New San Mames it can be a very risky venue. Benitez knows better how to approach these kind of games and experience is more on Napoli side. Defense of Napoli is the only weak point tonight, and yes it is probably a very key factor in a knock out stage with so much money at stake. But crowd should play an important role and push Napoli for the win. Napoli to win at 1,90 WH stake 5 is my choice. 2 - 0 or 2-1 the score I expect Forza Napoli!!!

I am from Austria, and i can tell you that salzburgs team is going to smash malmö hardcore.
We will see we will see ;) Malmö is not same looser teams as your plastic club play vs in league, especially not at home infront of 22k fans. Ask Dinamo Zagreb and Sparta Praha. Btw Dinamo Zagreb was 10 times better than plasticburg imo. 2-0 Malmö Home.

Fun fact; the players and fans of Malmö despises Salzburg something fierce. Saw a pic on twitter from of their players featuring a smashed red bull can, says it all really! :lol .
He was just telling what will happen with Salzburg away hehe. Bugt1h0CMAEf-6g.jpg Why do this plastic team even have fans? Wheres the manner? Salzburg contains more plastic than random factory in China.

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifying > August 19th & 20th Well, guess had to happen sometimes. 12 wins in Champions league qualifiers for Arsenal but not tonight. Turks played very good with much more desire and probably should have won. In the end Ox could have saved most of us totally against the run of play, but it seems it wasn't meant to be. Nice pick with Malmo

We will see we will see ;) Malmö is not same looser teams as your plastic club play vs in league' date=' especially not at home infront of 22k fans. Ask Dinamo Zagreb and Sparta Praha. Btw Dinamo Zagreb was 10 times better than plasticburg imo. 2-0 Malmö Home.[/quote'] Where were you before the match was decided? Easy to have all the banter now...

Well' date=' guess had to happen sometimes. 12 wins in Champions league qualifiers for Arsenal but not tonight. Turks played very good with much more desire and probably should have won. In the end Ox could have saved most of us totally against the run of play, but it seems it wasn't meant to be. Nice pick with Malmo[/quote'] Yep, but it sucks that they failed this time cost me a lot. Sometimes I just don't get it. Arsenal were so convincing all these qualifying rounds before and they smashed city last week with 3-0, late winner in the BPL should have boosted them even more. How can you fail like this against a mediocre side like Besiktas. Beats the hell out of me. Just sad if you compare both teams.. With the skills Arsenal posesses they should easily cut through a defense couple of times but they were flat all game. Malmo saved the day a bit but can't be satisfied overall. Bets lost!

Salzburg v Malmo My comments on Salzburg previously made on here were that domestic and European form shouldn't be considered when it comes to them as they have disappointed a few times before in a similar situation, although this can be applied to a lot of sides. Having watched Malmo away to Sparta Prague in the last round I was surprised by how attacking they went in the away game even when they were 2-1 up (ended up losing 4-2). If they go this attacking Salzburg have the quality to pick them off with ease, but I imagine they learned from this when they played a more sensible game in the return leg winning 2-0. I can't see them going for the kill in this game, they will be happy to defend and play on the break, should be said they are a better home side than away. Are Salzburg good enough to be considered at this price? I wouldn't consider them heavyweights and 1.73 for Malmo +2.0AH appeals to me more. It's a hell of a big line to beat at this stage of qualifying and I feel Malmo are well capable of nicking a goal, then you need Salzburg to get 4 to cover the line. Austrian football isn't really providing them with any worthwhile opposition currently, they played a second team at the weekend and still won 3-0, their finances mean they will win that league by 20+ points again. Malmo +2.0AH - 1.73 - pinnacle - 4 Points WIN Besiktas v Arsenal I would love a play on Arsenal but will wait for the home leg I think, Besiktas are strong at home (listed as neutral venue but they have been playing there for a while) and Arsenal aren't at full strength even though they are by far a better side. I remember comments previously that the pitch is poor and sides often struggle to adapt to it. Arsenal will certainly go through but it wouldn't surprise me to see a draw or Arsenal victory by only a goal, there should be multiple options on them in the second leg and I will be backing them unless they win this game by 3 or 4. Turkish sides away from home are generally a far different proposition.
I watched the game and Salzburg were full of energy in the first half but pretty flat in the second. They scored from two set pieces but Malmo missed two open goals, the one in the second half was astonishing..I seem to struggle massively to predict how markets will go and I thought this price would go down closer to KO but the price closer to KO was 2.0! Although they only scored in the 90th minute Malmo could easily have scored before, the second leg should be very interesting. Was the right decision to avoid Arsenal, they didn't look interested to be honest and should have lost the game.

Kobenhavn-Leverkusen over 2,5 2,08 I' ll take this bet, only because Roger Schmidt is the coach of Leverkusen. I remember when he was at Salzburg and his team humiliate the Austrian league. Salzburg under his coaching skills, had a 62 consecutive games to score at least 1 goal. Last Friday qualified to next round in German cup, after a 6-0 win, over a lower division team, in a game that Kiessling scored 5 goals. Turkish international Calhanoglou could be the star of the team. He is very sharp in free kicks and corner kicks. Kobenhavn have two faces. One very poor and problematic, in domestic league, and one very strong and efficient in Europe. They have some very experienced guys, like Claudemir, Antonsson, Nilson, and a good youngster Cornelious. In this game they have to prove how good is the defending line, against the Bayer scoring machine. I expect an open game with many goals, and Leverkusen to give a high pace tempo in this one. I think the price 2,08 is big mistake by bookies. I have 200 dollars and a very promising date tonight. I 've plans for a nice and romantic restaurant, with red wine and tasty steak. I hope Kiessling continue to score, otherwise the plan is changing to McDonalds.
The game was over 2,5 at 14th min. So no stress, no nerves and relax on the couch to enjoy the game. This Leverkusen team is very attacking and creating chances team. Apparently the first signs of Roger Schmidt's job. But, if they have some other forwards to finish the plays, easily the final score could be 5 or 6-2. Kissling, Bellarabi and Son, they missed some chances, that i could scored with my 200 pounds and a lower back stiffness. Calhanoglou prove that he is the rising star in European football. Two out of three goals, came from his passes. Kobenhavn was pretty good after the 0-1 score, but when turned the game to 2-1, they went back and gave space to Leverkusen. That was big mistake. Everything is good, so I'm going forward to next game.

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifying > August 19th & 20th Napoli did not deserve the win probably, but has a lot of chances the first 25 minutes and the last 25 minutes after the equalizer... that'soccer and also that's the fact I underestimate the general fitness level of the 2 teams, in fact Bilbao was really more fresh than Napoli. Italians outfit need now a miracle in the hell of san Mames. Bet lost

image.jpg

Definitely the most interesting duel of the play off round will be played at San Paolo in front of over 50,000 fans under a clear sky. Both teams have a similar style of play with quick counter attacks and both of them were behind the top clubs in their respective countries last year, it's interesting with identical performance at home (13-4-2). So it's clear why Napoli was named as the favorite tonight. In fact they have won six of seven games at home against some of the top continental clubs (Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Dortmund) in their previous two CL participation. On the other hand, Athletic is also very motivated because it has been over 15 years since their last placement in the CL group stage. Rafael will be in goal, since Pepe Reyna moved at Bayern. Defenders F. Fernandez and P. Armero left the team, C. Zuniga and Henrique are injured, so then defensive line will consist of Maggio, Albiol, Koulibaly (newcomer) and one of Britos or Ghoulam. The Basques will have available the same defenders as last season so it should look like this: Iraizoz; De Marcos (Iraola), Gurpegi (San Jose), Laporte and Balenziaga. In front of "the last wall" both sides will have two defensive midfielders (Inler or Gargano & Jorginho vs Rico & Iturraspe). In the offensive part of the team will be a lot of very good players on both sides with one striker (Callejon, Hamsik, Insigne or Mertens; Higuain or Michu vs Susaeta, Benat, Muniain; Aduriz), but it should be noted that the Neapolitans won't have a few regulars from last season (Dzemaili, Behrami, Pandev), while everyone knows that Bilbao have lost their young star A. Herrera who moved to Man Utd.

1408418818_670584_1408419136_noticia_grande.jpg

From the above it can be concluded that both teams are currently weaker than last year, OK home team have lost more players (altough M. Fellaini and J. de Guzman are on the way to Naples), but still have more better back-up players than tonight's opponent. As I said, formations and their style of play are similar, and on the quality of teams I have nothing else to say. However, what might be most important thing right now is physical fitness level of teams since their domestic competition haven't yet been started, and here guests have the advantage, imo. Because Napoli had 12 players on duty at the WC, while Athletic had none and same time the Basques had twice as many friendly matches in the pre-season. Another interesting fact favors the guests: Of the last 14 meetings between Italian and Spanish sides in UEFA club competition, only one has been won by a Serie A club. Yet, we shouldn't forget that Rafael Benitez is more experienced coach and knows better the opposing team than Ernesto Valverde, but these home odds don't represent value to me at the moment, so my bet is Athletic Bilbao not to lose (@2 and higher at several bookies), but only with low stake as though this is the first competitive match for both teams this season. Hope for a good and exciting game for enjoying with few beers.

image_gallery_uuid_fc53466a_a4ac_4aa5_9d3a_12aba.jpg

1:1 :ok:ok

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifying > August 19th & 20th Maribor v Celtic Anyone else think Maribor look a bit big tonight? Celtic have a few injuries to contend with and while I won't place too much emphasis on the Legia games, the fact is they lost to a superior side twice and shouldn't be here. The fact they are here is simple good fortune and Legia incompetance from an admin point of view. Captain Scott Brown is still out, Winger James Forrest and defender Adam Matthews are injured and Wakaso Mubarak has not been signed in time. Efe Ambrose has flown out late as they thought he was still suspended but he has been cleared to play. Maribor have no injury concerns and have managed to beat off competition from a number of clubs, including Celtic, to secure winger Agim Ibraimi. The 25-year-old Macedonian international, who spent last season on loan to Cagliari in Italy's Serie A, will be available tonight. They beat Maccabi Tel Aviv in the last round 3-2, I watched Maccabi in the previous round and didn't think they were anything special but I don't think Celtic are either tbh, new systems are being adjusted to and new players signed, I don't think they are settled. With draw cover and the odds over evens I will certainly have a play. Maribor 0AH - 2.06 - pinnacle - 3 Points

I have to say I have been impressed with Zenit recently - Is Villas Boas a good fit there?
Looks like he is. He has the team play attacking football and has a total record of something like 11wins-1draw-1loss in the Russian league so far (mostly against weak opposition though). How good he's in Europe, we'll see soon.

I think that poor Zenit results in Europe in recent years mostly had to do with Spalletti's defensive tactics in the away games. Now that he's gone, with the new coach I expect to see a team that better utilizes the strengths of its quality players, hopefully.