Flat Racing ~ Saturday 5th July

3.50 Sandown: Coral Eclipse (Group 1) (1m2f7yds) Tremendous renewal of the Coral Eclipse and The Fugue will be popular after her brilliant performance at Ascot last month. The ground is the key with her and she needs it quick to reproduce her best. The 3yo brigade is a strong one with Kingston Hill representing the Derby form and Night Of Thunder the Guineas. I’m not sure about the 10f for the Hannon horse at this stage but we do know it suits Kingston Hill so at the prices he looks the better bet at this stage. Aidan O’Brien has a lively runner in Verrazano, he’s improving all the time since his switch from the States and shouldn’t be too far away. Selection: Kingston Hill EW 7/1 >Betfred http://www.punterslounge.com/coral-eclipse-betting-kingston-hill-can-uphold-the-derby-form

Re: Flat Racing ~ Saturday 5th July 2.55 Haydock Park: Bet365 Lancashire Oaks (Group 2) (Fillies & Mares) (1m3f200y) You cant ignore trainer John Gosden here having won this twice recently and especially has he’s been in cracking form lately. I’m interested to see how Pomology goes as I think she could be very good although it’s a worry that her comeback has been delayed until now. Maybe his other runner Sultanina is wise choice of the pair today. The two experienced mares are at the head of the market and I just prefer Talent to get her revenge over Seal Of Approval for her Ascot defeat. Her 5th in the Coronation Cup will have put her spot on for this. Selection: Talent 11/2 >William Hill http://www.punterslounge.com/lancashire-oaks-betting-haydock-talent

Re: Flat Racing ~ Saturday 5th July 3.30 Haydock: Bet365 Old Newton Cup (Class 2) (1m3f200y) An impossible puzzle to sort out and plenty in with chances and you cant ignore that Luca Cumani has won this race three times in the last ten years and gone close on other occasions. His Havana Cooler is respected after a solid run at Ascot last time but hasn’t got much to spare at the weights with either Mighty Yar or Salutation. My idea of the winner is Magic Hurricane who is a course and distance winner, wont mind any rain and is a progressive type who has won his last two and doesn’t look over burdened with 9st 2lbs. Selection: Magic Hurricane 7/1 >BetVictor http://www.punterslounge.com/old-newton-cup-betting-fanshawe-can-land-haydock-s-big-handicap

Re: Flat Racing ~ Saturday 5th July 2.05 Sandown: Coral Charge (Group 3) (5f) It’s a terrific renewal and it’s slightly disappointing that one or two of the principals have been unlucky with the draw. Stepper Point and Dinkum Diamond would be of interest if they were nearer the far rail and I have to go with Steps in this grade who is drawn one and although will need to make his own luck should be well positioned for his customary late burst. Kingsgate Native may do best of the rest but has only won once in 25 starts and is not getting any younger. Selection: Steps 6/1 Coral http://www.punterslounge.com/coral-charge-betting-steps-can-pounce-late-on-to-scoop-coral-charge

Re: Flat Racing ~ Saturday 5th July 15.20 Greyville - Durban July: South Africa's greatest and most prestigious race is almost upon us! R3.5 Million are on offer when the 16 starters are set to thunder down the home straight of Greyville racecourse tomorrow afternoon. A distance of 2.200 meters they all have to master, with the chance to become a racing legend as soon as they cross the winning post. Te field is brutally deep this year, with a bunch of super impressive three year olds and some good older horses. All in all this kind of "Super Handicap" promises to be spectacular! The main contenders: Louis The King, 4/1 - 3yo, Triple Crown winner. Won the Gauteng Guineas, the SA Classic and the SA Derby over trips from 7f-12f. Finished 3rd behind Legislate and Rake's Chestnut in the Daily News 2000 lto (10f). Not quite having the run of the race, coming from well off the pace and having to come through the whole field. Stayed on nicely. Should come on for that run and will relish the additional furlong. Class act. However will need an awful lot of luck from his likely position well off the pace and the likely slow pace will count against him. If he wins it, he's the real deal. Can't have him for his short price. Legislate, 11/2 - best 3yo in RSA. winner of the Cape Derby, KRA Guineas and the Daily News recently. Has beaten all fancied July runners in that most recent race. Usually races off the pace and has a wide draw. But has the ability to quicken even off a slow pace like no other horse in the country right now. Brutally impressive in all his races this year, the turn of foot is from another world and the only real concern is the trip. Never raced that far and almost caught in the Daily News, be it because he was idling or ran out off steam. But he's a son of a July winner and the way he produced his turn of foot coming from last and around the home field in the Daily News suggests he has every chance to get the trip. The horse they all have to beat. Futura, 13/2 - 3yo colt, just made it into the final field and that under controversial terms. The dark/hype horse ad talked up always since winning a Conditions race in brutally impressive style. Was 40/1 for the July at some stage, is now one of the favourites. However he finished only 3rd in a July trial, need to improve allot to be competitive here. That says he easily could do so over this trip with the right pedigree and a nice light weight. His public gallop was mightily impressive. Not my type of horse I like to get involved with for this price. Tomorrow will show if all the hype is justified. Rake's Chestnut, 15/2: 3yo colt, Lightly raced, only win came over 6f to date. But right pedigree for July and extremely unlucky in the Daily News when close 2nd behind Legislate. Hampered at crucial stage, found his stride again and finished super strongly. Should relish additional furlong. Unexposed and not quite clear if he is able to confirm that run but if he can he's a big runner. Opinions will be divided here. With only one minor win over sprint trip this is not for me. But he's certainly a very interesting contender and I can see why he has many supporters. Capetown Noir, 11/1 - 4yo colt, best miler in the country, stylish winner of the premier 1m Grade 1 contest the Queen's Plate earlier this year. Not as strong over further, 3rd in Daily News last year, 7th in last years July, no good recent form. First time blinkers, might have adverse effect. He looks to find it tough to stay this trip and be competitive in such a strong field, even more so as he has a huge weight to shoulder. Hard to fancy. Espumanti, 12/1 - 4yo filly, talented, De Kock runners always to take serious. Won Betting World 1900 in fine style. Fillies find it often tough in this race and as a 4yo it's not any easier. Big weight to shoulder and while she is classy, it's hard to see her being good enough beating top class 3yo's giving so much weight away. Place claims. Captain America, 12/1 - 3yo colt, classy individual, consistent and rarely disappoints, but very aggressive, finds it hard to settle and slightly below top class. Might be better gelding. Better in the weight now compared to the big fancies, but he would need to improve a good deal to win it. Certainly place claims and solid contender though. In The Fast Lane, 12/1 - 3yo filly, best three year old filly, multiple Grade 1 winner, stays 10f. Strong recent form, good draw and good weight. However she'll might find it tough against the males here and not sure if the additional furlong suit her entirely. A decent run is surly expected though. Halve The Defict, 16/1 - 5yo gelding, connections won the last two July's. Largely seen as the pick of the older horses. Not yet won a G1 but improved with age and nice prep run lto. should get the trip and has the champion on board. Won G2 over 10 nicely earlier this year. One of a few horses who like to be prominent and could easily get run of the race and quicken off a slow pace when it matters. His recorded gallop at home last week looked massive too. Big chance to finish at least in the top five with conditions in favour. Cherry On The Top, 22/1 - 4yo filly, Triple Tiara winner last year when in form of her life. Not quite as good this year, but distance will suit. Track might not quite suit as more galloping one is her game. Also as a 4yo filly she'll find it very tough in general against this opposition and it's hard to see her any better than running on strongly and finishing in the top five. King Of Pain, 33/1 - 4yo gelding, top class animal, won the Grade 1 Rising Sun Gold Challenge last month when attempting to make all and holding on super strongly. Stamina is his game and he will relish to go further again. He might well enjoy the run of the race from the front and can set a rather pedestrian, even pace which will suit him to wind it up turning for home. He's tough and genuine. Big negative: top weight, 60kg is a very big ask and he need to be at his absolute best with everything going for him. Not impossible, but a place in the top 5 is absolute within reach. Verdict: Louis The King might well turn out the be the real deal, but he has conditions not really favouring him. Legislate is the horse they all have to beat. If he stays, which seems likely, his turn of foot will probably kill them all. His last three performances raised the hair on my neck, and it is well worth to watch as it simply is what racing is all about. 11/2 seems quite generous, taking all into consideration. Halve The Deficit as the pick of the older horses could have a tactical advantage, has good form and I find it hard to see him out of the top five with a chance to quicken at a crucial time and left the rest for wanting. 16/1 too big in my mind. King Of Pain, despite his huge weight, makes each-way appeal as a 33/1 chance. He can go from the front and will give it his all. Super recent form, stays. Might find the way too much win but place claims at least and price is too big imo. Legislate @ 11/2 Sportingbet - 3pts win Halve The Deficit @ 16/1 Sportingbet - 1pt e/w King Of Pain @ 33/1 Sportingbet - 0.5pts e/w > More July in the respective thread here: http://forum.punterslounge.com/threads/151670-Durban-July-2014

Re: Flat Racing ~ Saturday 5th July 1.30 Sandown Captain Bob has to be considered after he won well here last time staying on, and Royal Seal is certainly worthy of interest stepping back up to 7f (much more his trip) after making his handicap debut over 5f. However, Captain Bob's rise in the weights to 89 doesn't exactly look lenient, and I don't believe that Royal Seal's mark of 85 is that lenient either (best speed figure was 77 before his hcap debut). Therefore with that in mind, the selection falls to Hugo Palmer's Extremity. I liked the look of this horse last year and he quickly made his mark of 78 look lenient. I think he needed his seasonal debut at Newbury, but then recorded a figure of 90 at Leicester and followed that up with a figure of 93 at Kempton behind Idea. Those last two runs make a mark of 84 look very workable, and I feel he is well placed to take advantage today. 1 pt win EXTREMITY @ 4/1 2.05 Sandown The draw is certain to play a big part here, and it's key to be drawn low. However, I have to oppose Steps from stall 1 given his tendency to come late. Tagula Night suffered interference yesterday, and I fear the same feat may meet the Varian horse. With that in mind, I'm happy to look elsewhere at the lower drawn horses and three catch my eye. AHTOUG (drawn 6) ran some excellent figures across in Dubai and just got outpaced and probably outclassed at Ascot back in June. At his best, I have him running to a figure round 111, which puts him right in there (Steps ran 110 at Ascot and that looks generous IMO). Kingsgate Native (drawn 8) isn't exactly lowly drawn, but will be able to get a position in behind runners and try and thread his way through. The horse has really impressed me in his two runs this season, including running a good 3rd on ground that was too soft for him last time out. There has been some rain at Sandown, and that'll probably just be enough to see Kingsgate find one or two too good. The final horse to appeal to me is Olly Stevens' EXTORTIONIST. On figures, he doesn't quite match up to Ahtoug, but his 109 at Newmarket when running on at the death, and 106 at The Curragh where he showed good crusing speed make his price of 11/1 look too big. Ryan Moore is an interesting jockey booking, and he is one of the least exposed in the field. He should get a nice pace to run at, is superbly drawn in 4, and just has to be backed at 11/1. 1 pt e/w EXTORTIONIST @ 11/1 0.5 pt win AHTOUG @ 11/2

Re: Flat Racing ~ Saturday 5th July 15.50 Sandown: Trading Leather @ 18/1 Be365 - 1pt e/w The Fugue is a worthy favourite coming into this race with impressive form. She has conditions right in favour with the quick ground, but I do wonder if she is quite as effective at Sandown as she was at Ascot. Sandown as a track might not suit her entirely and for that reason I have to take her on. Kingston Hill dropping to 10f on quick ground makes absolutely no appeal to me. Night Of Thunder is not impossible that he gets the trip, but literally I would bet on it. Verrazano is slightly below European G1 class I think and 10f might stretch his stamina. We will learn allot about him today though I think. But he's not for me, even if I was a big fan of his in the US. War Command might get the 10f trip I suspect, given a chance by pedigree and the way he stayed on lto. But if he is good enough here, well he has to improve for the new trip. I do like him allot but feel there is a better chance in this race. Mukhadram and True Story both grand horses with chances to run their race - if that is good enough, I doubt it. I do really fancy Trading Leather though at 18/1. He needs fast ground to be seen at his best and he gets these conditions today. His record over 10f is more than decent, given that he won a Listed race over this trip and finished twice runner up in the Dante Stakes and later the Juddmonte last year, which is pretty good form after all. Obviously he gets further as an Irish Derby winner, but therefore Sandown might very much suit his racing style I feel. I wouldn't reed too much in to his recent flop at Newmarket. He didn't settle at all that day. I feel he is bound to run a big race. If that is good enough to win has to be seen, but he should be right there in the shake-up.

Re: Flat Racing ~ Saturday 5th July 5.00 Sandown These three year old races over longer trips really appeal to me, and it's evident today that a number aren't bred to stay the trip. Prince of Stars did well to win his maiden over the trip last time out, but preference goes to Clive Cox's charge RAISE YOUR GAZE. Bred to want around 10f, it wasn't a surprise to see him put his best run to date in last time at this track. He took a while to settle, didn't get the run of the race, and still ran on well to finish 3rd. He evidently relished the step up in trip, and he ran a figure of 82 that day despite the hard luck stories. Therefore, it's not unreasonable to fancy him off his mark of 77 today. Ryan Tate takes another 3 lbs off, and I feel he's the value bet over the favourite who looks short on the back of his maiden win. 2 pts win RAISE YOUR GAZE @ 11/2 LADBROKES 3.40 Beverley The NAP of the day for me has to be BONDI BEACH BOY. I remember backing this horse at Beverley last year from an excellent draw in 2, where he made all and quickened on gamely. He then went on a run, racking up another win at the track and then a win at Thirsk. He struggled a bit off a mark of 82 (although it must be said his worst performances came with claimer Jordan Nason on board), and the fact his mark has dropped back down to 77 is a big positive. I think he's a horse that can win off at least 80, and with George Challoner on board, he's essentially racing off 74 today (and George Chaloner is, IMO, a much more competent rider than Nason). To add further positives, Bondi's record at Beverley reads: 1-1-1-1-3, so a liking for the track is evident. He has a plum draw in 2 (should get inside Sleepy Blue Ocean early) and I can certainly see him being prominent throughout and quickening away on the rails to win. 5 pts win BONDI BEACH BOY @ 11/4 4.50 Beverley Another race which sees 3 year old's stepping up in trip and Richard Fahey's Miss Lucy Jane heads the market after a good win at Beverley last time. It's hard to argue with that success (she ran a figure of 72), but I feel there are others better in who haven't shown the handicapper their hand over this longer trip. The first of those is COIN BROKER for David O Meara. She hasn't raced over further than a mile yet, and was always outpaced at Thirsk last time our, running with immense credit to finish 3rd (running a figure of 64). Being by Montjeu, the step up in trip is almost certain to bring improvement, and if she does improve, she'll look very well handicapped off 64. Decent 3 lb claimer takes some extra weight off, and I make her much better value at 4/1 than the favourite at around 9/4. The second selection for me here is one at a longer price, but for a trainer who knows how to win these types of races. OFELIA goes for Brian Ellison, and is currently around 16/1. Like Coin Broker, she hasn't been tried at distances longer than a mile and her form figures are hardly inspiring. This has resulted in a lowly mark of 46. However, being by Teofilo, I think she needs at least 10f to show her best, so it is perhaps unfair to judge her purely on her efforts over inadequate trips. It's really interesting that Raul Da Silva picks up the ride here, and if she improves for the trip, she may be able to put in some sort of a run from a mark of 46. 1 pt E/W COIN BROKER @ 9/2 Hills 0.5 pt E/W OFELIA @ 20/1 Skybet 2.55 Haydock ASTONISHING isn't many people's idea of the likely winner here, but I think she's been under-estimated at 16/1. Granted, she really ran poorly in Group 3 company last time, but if you look back at her previous two runs, her listed race win at Newmarket towards the end of last season looked really good on paper (speed fig 110), and her seasonal return earnt her a figure of 109 in Group 3 company behind Cubanita. On figures alone, the only horse in the field to have run higher was Talent at Epsom last year. Now, obviously this doesn't mean they aren't capable of beating Astonishing as the figures aren't as reliable over longer trips, but it does show it isn't worth writing the Stoute horse off. There are horses in here more than capable of improving, but at 16/1, I think Astonishing is worth some sort of bet. 0.5 PT E/W ASTONISHING @ 16/1 Bet365

Re: Flat Racing ~ Saturday 5th July 2.30 Beverley - 1pt win L'Artiste @ 16/1 (PP) This isn't a very good race and I think excuses can be made for John Quinn's runner on both starts this season. Strictly speaking the form of his c&d maiden win leaves him on a healthy mark here if taken literally and can be excused for bombing out on soft ground on seasonal reappearance. Wasn't disgraced when beaten under 6l in a class 4 0-80 handicap when last seen and now should be spot on for this. Conditions suit and drops back down into a 0-70 race which should help. Looks a big price in a weak race. 2.40 Sandown - 2pts win Velox @ 5/1 (Bet365) Won't be the only one to have seen this horse be a bit unlucky when squeezed out at Epsom last time and shapes to me as if a stiff mile is going to be absolutely perfect for him. Has been consistent in his career so far with his only poor run really coming on his seasonal reappearance over 1m2f. The form of his handicap efforts last year over the same trip is solid and just looked like the drop back to a well-run mile will suit. Almost justified that belief at the downs last time when running a big race behind Abseil and can gain compensation today. 3.30 Haydock - 1pt win Pallasator @ 9/1 (Bet365) Sir Mark Prescott's horses have only just returned to the track but running fresh is no concern for this one who has regularly gone well after a break and is still relatively unexposed with a stop-start career. Is a big galloping type who relishes cut in the ground and that will prove especially crucial dropping back down in trip. Has run well here more than once in the past and is still off a fair mark. Will want this to be a stiff test which looks very plausible with some pace horses in the race and should be finishing better than most. Hopefully he can be close enough turning in and his stamina can kick in at the death. 3.40 Beverley - 3pts win Bondi Beach Boy @ 11/4 (PP) Looked like he was going to regain the winning thread when last seen - setting off like a scalded cat and looking to have slipped the field prior to falling in a hole at the death. Just went off at a furious gallop that day (first two came from miles back) and although positive tactics are no bad thing I don't think they will be going quite so fast today. Gets 3lbs taken off his back today so he's off a fair mark and shaped like he was very much ready to strike on that run. If saving a bit more energy for the finish today can take some pegging back at a course he's won at and from a good draw.

Re: Flat Racing ~ Saturday 5th July

15.20 Greyville - Durban July: ... Verdict: Louis The King might well turn out the be the real deal, but he has conditions not really favouring him. Legislate is the horse they all have to beat. If he stays, which seems likely, his turn of foot will probably kill them all. His last three performances raised the hair on my neck, and it is well worth to watch as it simply is what racing is all about. 11/2 seems quite generous, taking all into consideration. Halve The Deficit as the pick of the older horses could have a tactical advantage, has good form and I find it hard to see him out of the top five with a chance to quicken at a crucial time and left the rest for wanting. 16/1 too big in my mind. King Of Pain, despite his huge weight, makes each-way appeal as a 33/1 chance. He can go from the front and will give it his all. Super recent form, stays. Might find the way too much win but place claims at least and price is too big imo. Legislate @ 11/2 Sportingbet - 3pts win Halve The Deficit @ 16/1 Sportingbet - 1pt e/w King Of Pain @ 33/1 Sportingbet - 0.5pts e/w
Legislate won it... in the stewards room! Seriously mad stuff in Greyville! Someone might have seen it on ATR. Whylie Hall won it in a photo by a nose on the line. But objection by Legislate connections straight after. Inquiry upheld and result after twenty minutes later overturned. I'm obviously over the moon with it. But feel sorry for WH who ran such a massive race. However, he clearly drifted in the closing stages and bumped Legislate slightly. It had an impact, and the result was tight. So one could say, it is okay to overturn it. But if this would happen in the UK, I believe stewards wouldn't even have looked at it, let alone changing the result. King Of Pain didn't run a race. Strange tactics. Halve The Deficit had a fine run but just didn't get home, ended up sixth or seventh.

Re: Flat Racing ~ Saturday 5th July

1.30 Sandown Captain Bob has to be considered after he won well here last time staying on, and Royal Seal is certainly worthy of interest stepping back up to 7f (much more his trip) after making his handicap debut over 5f. However, Captain Bob's rise in the weights to 89 doesn't exactly look lenient, and I don't believe that Royal Seal's mark of 85 is that lenient either (best speed figure was 77 before his hcap debut). Therefore with that in mind, the selection falls to Hugo Palmer's Extremity. I liked the look of this horse last year and he quickly made his mark of 78 look lenient. I think he needed his seasonal debut at Newbury, but then recorded a figure of 90 at Leicester and followed that up with a figure of 93 at Kempton behind Idea. Those last two runs make a mark of 84 look very workable, and I feel he is well placed to take advantage today. 1 pt win EXTREMITY @ 4/1 2.05 Sandown The draw is certain to play a big part here, and it's key to be drawn low. However, I have to oppose Steps from stall 1 given his tendency to come late. Tagula Night suffered interference yesterday, and I fear the same feat may meet the Varian horse. With that in mind, I'm happy to look elsewhere at the lower drawn horses and three catch my eye. AHTOUG (drawn 6) ran some excellent figures across in Dubai and just got outpaced and probably outclassed at Ascot back in June. At his best, I have him running to a figure round 111, which puts him right in there (Steps ran 110 at Ascot and that looks generous IMO). Kingsgate Native (drawn 8) isn't exactly lowly drawn, but will be able to get a position in behind runners and try and thread his way through. The horse has really impressed me in his two runs this season, including running a good 3rd on ground that was too soft for him last time out. There has been some rain at Sandown, and that'll probably just be enough to see Kingsgate find one or two too good. The final horse to appeal to me is Olly Stevens' EXTORTIONIST. On figures, he doesn't quite match up to Ahtoug, but his 109 at Newmarket when running on at the death, and 106 at The Curragh where he showed good crusing speed make his price of 11/1 look too big. Ryan Moore is an interesting jockey booking, and he is one of the least exposed in the field. He should get a nice pace to run at, is superbly drawn in 4, and just has to be backed at 11/1. 1 pt e/w EXTORTIONIST @ 11/1 0.5 pt win AHTOUG @ 11/2
Well done mate, great call with Extortionist! :clap

Re: Flat Racing ~ Saturday 5th July 21.34 Belmont: Belmont Derby - Grade 1 (3yo, Turf) The inaugural Belmont Derby tonight and some decent horses gonna try to win the big pot. European challenges are lead by impressive UAE Derby winner Toast Of New York. He made an sheer unbelievable transition from winning a class 6 maiden at Wolverhampton to become a run-away-winner of a prestigious Group 2 on the Dubai World Cup night. Question mark is obviously if he can transform this to turf now as he might be a horse that is simply very much suited to synthetic surfaces. His only start on turf is inconclusive, as it was his debut and he was a good deal beaten that day. First time lasix will boost his chances I believe, and he must have every chance to go very close from pole position, and the track, in theory should suit. For all of that though, I can't have him for 5/2. He might well be above this lot, but make no mistake there are some good horses in the field and he first has to beat them. I look elsewhere. The other European runners are interesting. O'Brien's Adelaide ran a very good race at Ascot when 2nd behind Free Eagle. That was over 12f and he looked rather beaten for speed than for stamina in my mind. He has fine form over 10f though and ground won't be an issue. He'll go close. 4/1 is a fair price. From the French challengers Gailo Chop makes most appeal. He is a multiple Group winner at this stage, still lightly raced and can improve further. If this kind of contest suits him remains to be seen. The Europeans won't have this all their way though and it might pay to look for value in the domestic challengers. Global View is a Grade 2 winner over 9f on turf, he's by Galileo so the step up in trip could suit. He finished 2nd over a mile behind Bobby's Kitten, staying on nicely. He might be come too late with his challenge though, as he usually is ridden with bit of restraint. So is Dance With Fate, who could be interesting if he can transform his polytrack form to Turf. already mentioned Bobby's Kitten is a really interesting contender. He tries a new trip, never raced that far, but has plenty of stamina on both sire and dam side, suggesting 10f will be absolutely fine. He finished 3rd in the Breeders Cup Juvenile Turf last year, when he set the track alight the first half of the race with a record breaking pace. He did well to finish as close as he did in the end in third. He won two Conditions races on Turf this year, but is a Graded winner too from last season. His only disappointing performance came on polytrack. His most recent performance was impressive when he quickened nicely here at Belmont. If he can settle today, he has a major chance, as stamina shouldn't be an issue. But is ability to quicken as well the probable tactical advantage being handily ridden, might be enough to fend off all rivals. Coolmore's Gala Award is another one I want to highlight. He won a Grade 3 over 9f earlier this year and has good recent winning form. His only poor form came on polytrack. He is nicely bred, should improve for the additional furlong on pedigree, and looked in his races always like a grinder, one who can sustain a high pace over a long period, while he is not one who can quicken instantaneously. But since he is ridden usually right up with the pace, he outstays his opposition. That's good skills that he could use today to run a big race. Verdict: The home challengers seem to be overlooked in the betting. Bobby's Kitten is a high class runner who has the ability to produce a turn of foot and can race from the front or up with the pace, which should be a tactical advantage at Belmont's turf track. Stamina shouldn't be an issue if he settles. Gala Award has the right tools to win a really big race and this test seems the right one to bring the best out of him. Wide draw is a concern but he should improve for the new trip. Bobby's Kitten @ 8/1 Betfair - 2pts win Gala Award @ 16/1 SkyBet - 1pt win

Re: Flat Racing ~ Saturday 5th July Well done to those with winners. I'm bloody kicking myself as I fancied both Pomology and Sultanina and would usually back both in a race but I just backed Sultanina and left the other alone. I'd considered putting Sultanina EW in the NAP thread but it was only 13-2. Lots of people unhappy with the way the Eclipse worked out, too many jockeys caught napping and too far behind. Disappointed with The Fugue, Buick blaming loose ground apparently.