** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Singles Or Multiples That Is The Question

Singles or Multiples ??? Multiples have never been my thing and I’ve always been very much a win single backer but I decided to do some what if analysis on the matter. As with any horse racing analysis I believe you need a fairly big sample size to get any sort of worthwhile view, so as an experiment, in this year’s spread sheet for one of my main banks, I decided to see what the result would be if I did doubles , trebles and four folds in pure chronological order compared to the win singles. E.g. Day 1 has horses A , B , C ,D and Day 2 has horses E and F. This would give the bets :- Singles A, B, C, D, E, F Doubles AB , BC , CD , DE , EF Trebles ABC , BCD , CDE , DEF Four folds ABCD , BCDE , CDEF Obviously crossing over days would require a bit more manual work placing the bets but it’s perfectly possible if you’re suitably organised. Anyway the roi% return for 1 point bets on Singles was 14.82% and would have been for the multiples as follows :- Doubles 24.29% Trebles 101.2% Four folds 166.2% But compared to win singles the multiples are far more susceptible to the whims of chance i.e. getting the right wins grouped together. I.e. I just have to move one bet at big odds (20140308 Meydan Shuruq 15.0 winner) to a different point in the sequence and the multiple roi% results then become :- Doubles 12.4% Trebles 26.4% Four folds 56.9% Also for the multiples you’d have to be willing to endure some awful losing runs, where as for the win singles the longest losing run is about 12. Thoughts anyone out there in the ether?????

Re: Singles Or Multiples That Is The Question Hmmm well strange, I’ve been going since long before 2000 and I’ve never encountered that. I even asked my old man who’s been going since they opened in 1961 and he’s never been knocked back on a win single. But up until about 15 years ago I’d only really put bets on in the north east and Scotland.

Re: Singles Or Multiples That Is The Question

Hmmm well strange, I’ve been going since long before 2000 and I’ve never encountered that. I even asked my old man who’s been going since they opened in 1961 and he’s never been knocked back on a win single. But up until about 15 years ago I’d only really put bets on in the north east and Scotland.
I assume your on about betting on Horse's PAWRAS , betting singles on football only came about around about 2000

Re: Singles Or Multiples That Is The Question i agree with the singles being the better bet,but also think there is potential for e/w doubles combined with win singles placed at the right prices along with the right amount of horses per race(8) and a decent stakeing plan...just my thoughts..:unsure

Re: Singles Or Multiples That Is The Question If your odds average is low and you have an edge, depending on how many horses you bet in one day you might have some nasty losing days but when you're in form the doubles might squeeze some nice profits from your winners. I might be wrong though.

Definitely better to do singles by a large margin. There is a reason in some places around the world bookies will only accept multiples.
I tend to agree with that statement but at the same time my experience with limits points to the opposite: I just tried and added to my bet slip all the unnamed favorites at SP from tomorrows Newmarket races, with paddy power and I am allowed to bet 1 digit on singles but zero on any multiple including doubles. I had the same problem at bet365 for soccer. I was able to bet singles even though at small limits, but wasn't able to put 20 cents on a double or any other accumulator. I know it has to do with their risk management system but how is it safer for them to take 5pounds singles that have potential payouts in 2 digits, instead of a 10 cents double that has a maximum payout of less than 5. What I also find funny is how they limit you on the "unnamed favorite @SP" type of bets.

• 3 months later...

Re: Singles Or Multiples That Is The Question For the overwhelming majority of bettors it really doesn't make much difference when betting on soccer since the overwhelming majority will never make a profit and will bet lower amounts when betting on multiples while usually getting more pleasure/ entertainment overall. Betting singles is really for serious profitable gamblers. If you are a serious profitable gambler you probably wouldn't even bother reading threads like this as you know the answer to the question already. Yes there have been exceptions in the past which you can read about in gambling books.I refer to situations where someone has spotted great value on a regular basis and has tried to make as much as possible by betting in doubles and even trebles but certainly no more.But such situations are almost certainly never going to appear again thanks to so many people competing to find value in the internet age. NOW,having said all that there IS a soccer market where multiples are superior to singles. Ive already pointed out on this site what that market is and won't be repeating myself on this thread.

i agree with the singles being the better bet' date='but also think there is potential for e/w doubles combined with win singles placed at the right prices along with the right amount of horses per race(8) and a decent stakeing plan...just my thoughts..:unsure[/quote'] Without question that's correct but it's also very well known and I'd be surprised if anyone doing this and winning on a regular basis were not banned or severely limited very quickly

Definitely better to do singles by a large margin. There is a reason in some places around the world bookies will only accept multiples.
How then would you explain why one of the larger bookies ( ie not a Mickey Mouse outfit such as skybet or betvic etc) has effectivly banned me from betting in multiples but not in singles? ( Of course I appreciate that you'd have to take my word for that)