Royal Ascot 2014 - discussion thread

Re: Royal Ascot 2014 - discussion thread Has to be Kingman for me in the St James Palace Stakes on the opening day. I really hope all the major players turn up and Kingman can get his revenge for a very unsatisfactory 2000 Guineas at Newmarket.

Re: Royal Ascot 2014 - discussion thread Really looking forward to this race I have to say. The 2000 Guineas seems to be the key race in regards to form this season with a number of horses running blinders since so perhaps it's time for War Command or Toormore to run a big race? I backed Toormore in the Guineas where he disappointed but he was last years Champion 2 year old and still beat Kingston Hill and The Great Gatsby who impressed in the Derbies since. Still has another level to find I think but turning 4L on Night of Thunder and Kingman may be too tough.

Re: Royal Ascot 2014 - discussion thread

Really looking forward to this race I have to say. The 2000 Guineas seems to be the key race in regards to form this season with a number of horses running blinders since so perhaps it's time for War Command or Toormore to run a big race? I backed Toormore in the Guineas where he disappointed but he was last years Champion 2 year old and still beat Kingston Hill and The Great Gatsby who impressed in the Derbies since. Still has another level to find I think but turning 4L on Night of Thunder and Kingman may be too tough.
Backed War Command in the Guineas and still believe he is a very genuine horse. You can feel that O'Brien thinks something about him, as otherwise he would have let him run in the Irish 2.000 Guineas. But as WC is so ground dependent to show is his best he didn't. If Aiden wouldn't believe this horse can compete against the best if he gets his conditions, he would have let him run the Irish 2.000 Guineas. WC was a very good 2yo and what I've seen physic wise, there is nothing to suggest that he didn't train on. At Newmarket he might have simply needed the run. I continue to believe in him, and if he is a big price, I'll be on him in the SJPS.

Re: Royal Ascot 2014 - discussion thread I thought Night Of Thunder beat Kingman fair and square in the Guineas so it will be fascinating to see what happens this time round. Of course, the form has been franked massively with Australia hosing up in the Derby. Have the bookies under-estimated Night Of Thunder again pricing Kingman up at 6/5 and the Hannon horse @ 9/4 ? Time will tell. Looking forward to seeing Treve too and although I am not sure what I am backing yet, I'd love to see Brown Panther win the Gold Cup.

Re: Royal Ascot 2014 - discussion thread War Command backed into 13/2 Rob. Any reason for this sudden change? Edit: Thought War Command liked the firmer ground but looks as if I was wrong. Ground gone a touch softer in Ascot after rain and he seems to be receiving support as a result.

Re: Royal Ascot 2014 - discussion thread First year in about 10 years that I haven't booked time off work for Royal Ascot. I'll record it every day and get bets on the night before but I'll be playing catch up every day. Mark Johnston has just hit form at the right time and he usually has some decent handicap winners at this meeting. I'm sure his yard must have had a bug or something as they were running awful and suddenly turned the corner in the last 2-3 weeks or so. I absolutely love backing Paul Mulrennan in sprints, I've seem him land loads of winners this season over 5f-6f and he could still fly under the radar at this meeting with so many big name jockeys in attendance.