Volvo Golf Champions - 9-12 Jan

Crouch Potato

Peter Uihlein @ 34 Unibet This course should favour those who perform well on links style courses and the one player I was very impressed with last year was the young American. He was at his best on courses where the wind got up and I thought he was very unlucky not to have won more than once with near misses to Bourdy and Howell that were more due to the good play of those men than any weakness on Uihlein's part.

Re: Volvo Golf Champions - 9-12 Jan I have decided to back the talented Dutch player Joost Luiten for this tournament. He is a three time winner on the European Tour and won two of those last year, the Lyoness Open and the KLM Open. He had a total of seven Top 10 finishes and when he was last seen he finished a brilliant 4th in the World Tour Championship in Dubai collecting a big cheque. This is not a huge field this weekend but it is quite competitive, but I am more than happy to back him to land the spoils at his current price of 20/1. Joost Luiten - 5 Points each-way @ 20/1 Bet365 Season Total +95 Points

Re: Volvo Golf Champions - 9-12 Jan Adding a couple of guys at big odds who do well on links courses: Padraig Harrington @ 70 Betfair The Irishman has won the Claret Jug before to underline his links pedigree and despite having a bad couple of years was still 4th in this event last year (albeit a different course). For me he is overpriced given his affinity for links courses and the small field size. Darren Clarke @ 220 Betfair Clarke has lost a lot of weight over the off-season and the comments coming from him seem pretty positive. He is, of course, another British Open winner and whilst he hasn't won since then, he did show some decent form in links events last year. Indeed, he feels one of the reasons why he tapered away on the final day of play in those events was because of his fitness and the improvements he has made in this aspect over the off-season could really help him over the line if he can get himself into contention.

Re: Volvo Golf Champions - 9-12 Jan 3 for me: L.Oosthuizen to win Volvo Golf Champions, 4pts EW @ 16/1 SportingBet (1/4 odds 1-4) Far too big a price for a player who has lots in his favour this week. Course winner (won this last year), finished 3rd on his previous start on the track & has an excellent iron game which is needed here. Extra length of the tee is a plus on this short track with a couple of driveable par 4's. The South Africans also normally dominate early on so I'm happy to back one of favourite golfers. I'm fully aware of his injury problems but can't believe he'd be teeing it up if he wasn't fully prepared. B.Grace to win Volvo Golf Champions, 4pts EW @ 20/1 Bet365 (1/4 odds 1-4) Another South African, and another winner of this event albeit not on this track. That said, he did finish T10 last year after an awful opening round &, but for that, would have been a whole lot closer. South Africans have won all 6 events held here so happy to have him & Oosty on my side. Another thing to look for at these events are players who normally start the season quickly. Remember, Grace won back to back events in Jan 2 years back. That will do for me. MO.Madsen to win Volvo Golf Champions, 2pts @ 66/1 Coral (1/4 odds 1-4) Going for a bit of an outsider but a young golfer in terrific form. Up to 117 in the world following his first win on Tour at South African Open. Followed up with 2 more very respective finishes too so has momentum going into this. This course will produce lots of birdies for those hitting the short stuff so his 4th in GIR when he won is positive stuff as is the 24 birdies & 1 eagle he hit that week. If the month off hasn't stopped his improvement, I can see the young Dane being involved at the business end.

Re: Volvo Golf Champions - 9-12 Jan Tournament preview: 1pt ew M-A.Jimenez to win Volvo Golf Champions 22/1 BetVictor (1/4 1-4) One man who drives the ball well is Miguel Angel Jimenez and having turned 50 this week he’ll be looking to show there’s still plenty of life in the old dog yet. Jimenez was a recent winner in the Hong Kong Open and he finished 2013 driving it as well as anyone. He has shown in British Open’s gone by that sandy courses offer no problem to him so if he has the short stick in good working order this week then the Spanish veteran has every right to be deeply involved in the business end of this tournament. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/volvo-golf-champions-betting-miguel-angel-jimenez-can-kick-2014-off-in-style-in-durban

Re: Volvo Golf Champions - 9-12 Jan Top GB&Ire preview: 1pt ew D.Howell Top GB & Ire player 14/1 Stan James (1/4 1-3) Another man suited by the course and conditions should be David Howell. We saw David Howell win the Dunhill Links last year and he has always been a good player on the windier courses. Howell hits the ball as straight as anyone and with that win giving him new found belief with the short stick it would be no surprise if the former Ryder Cup star goes well this week. The tournament itself could be beyond him but a strong showing in the British and Irish market certainly isn’t. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/volvo-golf-champions-betting-david-howell-can-put-up-a-strong-challenge-in-durban

Re: Volvo Golf Champions - 9-12 Jan Surprised Madsen is still available at 50's after a decent -1 round today. One of the longer drivers & putted really well. Iron play was a little iffy but if he can get that working, he'll be well worthy of a place come Sunday. Uihlein is the other to interest me. Triple bogeyed the first & failed to birdie the last hole (almost like a dropped shot), yet tied for 5th at -2. 16/1 seems a decent price.

Re: Volvo Golf Champions - 9-12 Jan

3 for me: L.Oosthuizen to win Volvo Golf Champions, 4pts EW @ 16/1 SportingBet (1/4 odds 1-4) Far too big a price for a player who has lots in his favour this week. Course winner (won this last year), finished 3rd on his previous start on the track & has an excellent iron game which is needed here. Extra length of the tee is a plus on this short track with a couple of driveable par 4's. The South Africans also normally dominate early on so I'm happy to back one of favourite golfers. I'm fully aware of his injury problems but can't believe he'd be teeing it up if he wasn't fully prepared. B.Grace to win Volvo Golf Champions, 4pts EW @ 20/1 Bet365 (1/4 odds 1-4) Another South African, and another winner of this event albeit not on this track. That said, he did finish T10 last year after an awful opening round &, but for that, would have been a whole lot closer. South Africans have won all 6 events held here so happy to have him & Oosty on my side. Another thing to look for at these events are players who normally start the season quickly. Remember, Grace won back to back events in Jan 2 years back. That will do for me. MO.Madsen to win Volvo Golf Champions, 2pts @ 66/1 Coral (1/4 odds 1-4) Going for a bit of an outsider but a young golfer in terrific form. Up to 117 in the world following his first win on Tour at South African Open. Followed up with 2 more very respective finishes too so has momentum going into this. This course will produce lots of birdies for those hitting the short stuff so his 4th in GIR when he won is positive stuff as is the 24 birdies & 1 eagle he hit that week. If the month off hasn't stopped his improvement, I can see the young Dane being involved at the business end.
Great stuff Russ, brilliant golf course to watch.. One of the best courses on tour in my opinion. :clap Luiten's bogey bogey start cost me in the end.

Re: Volvo Golf Champions - 9-12 Jan Cheers guys, a very satisfactory week indeed. 20pts staked, 112pts returned :ok Not a bad start either in the Fantasy Race to Dubai on the European Tour site. Had Oosty as my star player & also had Grace, Luiten & Fleetwood. Top 4 all on my team. Just need to keep it going now! Unlucky with Joost, Aidy, but still a nice place & a tidy bit of profit :clap

Re: Volvo Golf Champions - 9-12 Jan

Cheers guys, a very satisfactory week indeed. 20pts staked, 112pts returned :ok Not a bad start either in the Fantasy Race to Dubai on the European Tour site. Had Oosty as my star player & also had Grace, Luiten & Fleetwood. Top 4 all on my team. Just need to keep it going now! Unlucky with Joost, Aidy, but still a nice place & a tidy bit of profit :clap
I wouldn't call it unlucky mate, Joost didn't deserve to win it, his putter was poor the last 2 days and Oosty's shot into 17 makes him the worthy winner. Good stuff mate. I am quite happy with the place.