** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Worst Australian side of the history?

nod

Any Cricket fan here, if yes, can you please tell me whether this is the best 11 Australia have got now to play tests , or they have got talented players who havent picked up for some reasons? This side looks very poor, even Bangladesh or Zimbabwe of past will beat this 11 ( no disrespect intended). Everyone expected Australian downfall after dominating cricket with some legendary team for years, but no one expected Australia will end up with this talentless, clueless bunch of players. Who would you blame for this? Ponting (for not building a team for the future unlike steve waugh did)? or Selectors or players themselves . Please dont blame the poor lad Micke

Re: Worst Australian side of the history? To be fair they did lose a hell of a lot of world class players in a very short space of time although a few of them maybe went on a season or two too long and Australia didn't have a proper chance to blood new players gradually IMO team sport goes in cycles - the West Indies dominated cricket before Australia did and look at them now - certainly not top class Same happens in football - you get teams from one country dominating the game for a decade and then teams from another country dominate - Spanish teams flourished the 00s, English in the 80s, Italians in the 90s and now it's the Germans turn again after the 70s - it's not logical but it always happens

Re: Worst Australian side of the history? It's disappointing in terms of the two series we had coming up, it looks like it will be very one sided especially when you consider how much of a fight the Australian tail has put up, if that falters then it could get very embarrassing. I think Bazzdude is pretty much spot on though with his comments.

Re: Worst Australian side of the history? Just enjoy rubbing it in,,,The icing on the cake will be going down under in 18 months and doing it again...That will be salt in the wound....TO COIN A PHRASE.....AUSTRALIA ARE A LOAD OF OIE CHUCKERS...:rollin

Re: Worst Australian side of the history? The big question which needs to start being asked given how the Australian batting line up is going is why there are four Australians playing county cricket successfully this summer who would all walk into that side. That's the strangest thing to me. Primevil, we go down there in 3 months time not 18 ;). It'll be a different ball game down there.

Re: Worst Australian side of the history? Not sure of what the exact cause is but it's basically a lack of talented new players. There's nobody in our First Class competition who is putting their hand up by making any runs. Khawaja debuted last Ashes series and has never kicked on. Phil Hughes is a flat track, pace bowling bully who is exposed when facing any element that is not pace bowling on a flat track. Now why there are no good young players coming through is probably the question. I think a number of young players are choosing sports other than cricket so that might have something to do with it. It's probably not the worst side in history, but it certainly is in the worst in recent history. My childhood hero growing up, Matty Hayden, has more test centuries than our entire first team combined. And I doubt you'd find any batsman under 25 in Australia with more than 5 first class centuries to their name. In fact, if you can find one, I guarantee you it's because he's part of another country's touring side!

Re: Worst Australian side of the history?

Now why there are no good young players coming through is probably the question. I think a number of young players are choosing sports other than cricket so that might have something to do with it.
I remember seeing something about the state of West Indian cricket in the late 80s/early 90s and they said that most young kids turn to basketball because there is more money as a pro - especially if they make it to the NBA I know football has grown a lot in Australia in the last few years - would guess that the kids are going for that for the same reason as West Indian kids

Re: Worst Australian side of the history? 20/20 Cricket has a lot to answer for.....with regards to test cricket...Money talks...IPL..Big Bash....Kids even at Junior level, are geared up to 20/20..rather than 40 plus cricket....I see kids who are good players, that turn down 6-7 hour games...Too slow...

I remember seeing something about the state of West Indian cricket in the late 80s/early 90s and they said that most young kids turn to basketball because there is more money as a pro - especially if they make it to the NBA I know football has grown a lot in Australia in the last few years - would guess that the kids are going for that for the same reason as West Indian kids
Over here in Australia we have a very competitive sporting landscape. Football is really the 4th most popular code of Football over here, ranking behind Rugby Union, Rugby League and AFL. Wallaby Berrick Barnes was a very good wicketkeeper but choose footy over cricket, and there are probably many other undocumented examples of talented youngsters choosing one of the footy codes over cricket, which until recently didn't offer the same riches as footy (25 centrally contracted players vs infinitely more contracts in 16 team competitions). T20 has obviously changed a lot of that, but frankly I don't really think that is very beneficial to the longer form of the game.

Re: Worst Australian side of the history? There's an article on cricinfo today that is hugely relevant to this discussion ( "forget tests, BBL is where it's at" ). The tone is a bit piss-taking and I don't necessarily agree with everything the author says ( getting kids to watch cricket matches of any format must surely be an inherently good thing ) but it does make some good points. I can't profess to be an expert in the Sheffield Shield but I do wonder whether a tournament with 6 ( I think ? ) teams and no relegation or promotion is the best system for generating international cricketers ? 20 million people in Australia so you wonder if more teams could be viable which in turn might generate more competition and in turn, and after due time, better cricketers. Maybe, maybe not. Also not sure how Aus 'A' system compares to the England Lions programme, but I think the latter has been really effective for England in recent times when you look at players which have graduated into the full side. I think Bazzdude's point about the cyclicality of sporting teams' superiority is very interesting, it seems to be a phenomenon you can't escape from. For me the question becomes 'what is a country's natural level' ? It's possible, even likely, England are performing above theirs now, whereas Australia may be closer to theirs ( below it ) and perhaps the Waugh era was an anomalous, once in a century collection of players. Cricket Australia could do worse than give everyone in the team a copy of 'Fire in Babylon' to watch for their homework. That is a great piece of film-making in its own right in my humble opinion but a lot of it is relevant to where Aus find themselves now.

Over here in Australia we have a very competitive sporting landscape. Football is really the 4th most popular code of Football over here, ranking behind Rugby Union, Rugby League and AFL. Wallaby Berrick Barnes was a very good wicketkeeper but choose footy over cricket, and there are probably many other undocumented examples of talented youngsters choosing one of the footy codes over cricket, which until recently didn't offer the same riches as footy (25 centrally contracted players vs infinitely more contracts in 16 team competitions). T20 has obviously changed a lot of that, but frankly I don't really think that is very beneficial to the longer form of the game.
Just to clarify Crouch, presumably you mean Football is the 4th most popular code in terms of average attendances! Of course we know the world game has the highest participation rate in Australia ahead of the other three codes. I tend not to look much into the Rugby Union crowds either as they only play about 7 home games? ... and there are 5 teams in Australia.