** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Royal Ascot 2013.

First one in the books, EKTIHAAM, Harwicke stakes, G2 on the Saturday. Must surely now go to a OR of 120, which is just about the average for the winner of this race, No prices yet, However dont expect him to have another run in the next 6 weeks, IMO he will be laid out for this race with connections winning this race a few times over the years, and they like a candidate in here. Now gelded we may see a fast improving 4yo, maybe even coming back for the King George after this race. 4yo have a good record in the Hardwicke. Will be very interested when prices are up.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Royal Ascot 2013. EKTIHAAM or 115, thats surprising to me, I have him a few pounds more, but another that comes into the picture is Mount Athos, on 117, again bang on the rating for the Group 2, and Cumani has indicated that this is more likely the race he will go for.....However he is in the Gold Cup, and at 6/1. This should be avoided, as I dont see them going for this with the Mel Cup, as his main target, When prices come up next week, ill be looking to back these two for the Hardwicke.

Re: Royal Ascot 2013.

What about Riverboat Springs for the Coventry? Not sure about future plans and what not because I don't know them people but seems a good route for such an eye-catching horse.
i will be interested where they run it, especially after saturdays run at epsom

Re: Royal Ascot 2013. Kings Stand on the tuesday, looks for me this year to be between the following: Reckless Abandon best 2012 2yo sprinter Shea Shea South African Group 1 winner Sole Power (3rd last year) Possibly Cristoforo Colombo (this is a dark horse for me) Soul (but never raced over 5f) The South African horse will take some beating though, ive always liked this race and this year hoping to find the winner

Re: Royal Ascot 2013. Wow its very quiet on here considering Royal Ascot is very close. I'v only had a couple of bets thus far on Jamesie 33/1 for the Wokingham and Dance and Dance at 16/1 Hunt Cup. I like the look of Animal Kingdom (Queen Anne), Shea Shea (Kings Stand) and Secret Gesture (Ribblesdale)

Re: Royal Ascot 2013. I'll be updating my selections later in the week, put about 25 hrs in, and only thru the first two days..:$ hope it pays off, Animal Kingdom, is a very good anchor, slight odds on now, but can only go one way in price IMO ..around 8/15 on the day?

Re: Royal Ascot 2013. Royal Ascot Tuesday 18th May 15.45 The St James’s Palace Stakes Group 1 – 1mile One of the highlights of Royal Ascot for many takes place on the opening day of the meeting in the shape of the St James’s Palace Stakes, run over 1 mile for 3 year old colts. News was broken today that Dawn Approach looks set to take his place in the race following his Epsom Derby ‘flop’, and is now vying for favouritism at the top of the market alongside Irish 2000 Guineas winner, Magician. The trainer of Dawn Approach, Jim Bolger, has been very positive about his chances of returning to the winner’s enclosure following his run in the Derby. In that race DA went off at a very short 5/4 and was well backed by many, however he wasn’t just beaten that day, he finished stone last (12th) in the field. The Derby was perhaps too bigger ask for DA, the furthest distance he had tried prior to the 1m 4f at Epsom was 1m at Newmarket when he won the 2000 Guineas. He returns to that trip at Royal Ascot for this race and if he can produce the same form that won him the 2000 Guineas at HQ by 5 lengths, he goes here with a massive chance. He was unbeaten until his visit to Epsom and he has won on a variety of conditions, from Yielding, Soft in Places over 5f at Curragh too Good to Firm quick ground at Newmarket for his 2000 Guineas victory. Back in 4th that day at Newmarket, and again well backed, was Toronado who is currently top price 5/1 for this race with PaddyPower and the magic sign, Ladbrokes. Toronado was fancied to be the biggest danger to Dawn Approach in the 2000 Guineas following his success in the Craven Stakes at the same course. In the Craven, the horse showed plenty of speed and stayed on strongly to beat Havana Gold by 4 lengths under Richard Hughes. However on his return to racing following that victory, he was disappointing, eventually finishing 7 ½ lengths behind Dawn Approach. Connections think that he is better than his performance that day, and if he can rekindle the same form that saw him powering to victory in the Craven, he also comes here with a live chance, however he does have to improve to get in front of the market leaders. Dawn Approaches biggest danger looks to be Magician. Magician won the Irish 2000 Guineas on only his 3rd start and punters were equally impressed as Dawn Approaches victory in the English equivalent. He eventually beat stable mate Gale Force Ten by 3 ½ lengths, also on Good to Firm ground. Magician ran that race in 1min 36.81s whereas Dawn Approach ran his victory in 1min 35.84s, so based on timings there is very little to choose between these, especially when you consider that both horses were comfortably clear in the final stages and probably had more to give. Prior to the Irish 2000, Magician won over further, when tackling 1m 2f in the Dee Stakes at Chester on Good to Soft ground, following that victory it looked as if perhaps he would prefer the further distance and he may even stay over 1m 4f for the Epsom Derby, however he proved that he is just as good over a mile at the Curragh, however Aidan O’ Brien ruled him out of the Derby and will now come into this race fresh. At a slightly bigger price, Mshawish may have an each way chance, he was 4th home in the Prix Du Jockey Club and was beaten too far, he may suit the 1m distance better and run a good race. But for the winner, it looks set to be between Magician, Dawn Approach and Toronado. For myself, I will cross Toronado off that shortlist, I think he has to improve a great deal if he is to get closer to Dawn Approach than he did at Newmarket, he’s likely to give a good account for himself but fall just short again here. Magican and Dawn Approach are very hard to split, Magician comes to the track fresh on the back of his Irish 2000 Guineas victory, whereas Dawn Approach has something to prove after his poor run in the Derby. I don’t think Jim Bolger would rush Dawn Approach back if he didn’t think the horse wasn’t ready, and for that reason I’ll side with the Godolphin runner as my selection.

Re: Royal Ascot 2013. Unless the weather forecast is way out, the ground on Tuesday should just be about perfect, Around the Good Good/Firm in places. On Tuesday, At todays prices Animal Kingdom and Shea Shea stand out in a 5/1 double. With Animal Kingdom being the banker of the meeting for me, Expect him to be around 1/2 or even shorter. The opposition is Group 2 at very best for 1 or 2, with the majority hovering around the Group 3 mark. Apart from Elusive Kate who gets a filly allowance, almost a stone in hand on everything else says it all. Shea Shea is a very classy sprinter, as shown at Meydan, expect him to go off at around 7/4 on the day, easy trade on him for your stake, if AK does the business, with plenty of profit in the bargain. Update more races later. But the double for the above is very likely to be profitable. GL

Re: Royal Ascot 2013. The other horse/s I have have backed or waiting to back for Tuesday are Championship e/w 9/1 hills in the Coventry, after his win at Newbury, were he found trouble and was slow away, you could not be more impressed, Hannon has an angle on the FAV, im hoping he is the best Juv this year so far. waiting for prices on, Big easy(2mile 4 QA), and Coulsty (Windsor)

Re: Royal Ascot 2013. Been waiting for Pearl Secret to run this season. Struck a bet now with NRNB on offer @ 12s Like the chances of Trade Storm(14's) in the Queen Anne and Riverboat Springs(10s) in the Coventry and have had a point on each too.

Re: Royal Ascot 2013.

What about Riverboat Springs for the Coventry? Not sure about future plans and what not because I don't know them people but seems a good route for such an eye-catching horse.
with odds of 10/1 it look like a nice bet to place. good luck!

Re: Royal Ascot 2013. Not sure why this section hasnt been given any credence on the site but i expect some more input this week? I think its all bets in here, discussion and everything as there are not any individual race threads. I may try and get the odd trend into here but i only do 3 races at this meeting. Unlike Cheltenham, the ante post market is a dead one. Notably though Stirring ballad was 16's on Saturday for the Hunt Cup and now 7's in palces. There are some jewels around but the bookies dont price up all the races for some reason until the day before.

Re: Royal Ascot 2013. Over a Month ago I started this thread, concentrating on todays Hardwicke. My opinions have not changed and sill at 10/11....Backing Mount Athos and Ektihaam..Is the sure fire nap of the meeting. These two will progress, again on their last runs...Both are Group 1 class running in a G2. Which one wins?, im not sure it will be close...But i know this, none of the others will be able to live with the screaming pace here...Course Record..Maybe. My biggest bet of the year by a long way, to get me out of a bad RA, One of these two winning will bring it all back and more. No other bets for me today..This is just shy of the best evens bet you will see all year.