** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013 18:50 Haydock Rod Millman's Astrum has certainly improved over the winter after not showing much promise at all as a 2 year old in maiden and handicap company last year. He was tried over the mile trip for the first time on his reappearance back in April at Warwick where he was dropped 5lbs from last season down to a mark of 54 and he duly obliged by running out a winner by three quarters of a length. He was then sent to Nottingham and was stepped up to 10 furlongs for the first time off a 3lb higher mark. He ran a creditable race in 3rd place that day and was raised another 2lbs for that effort up to a mark of 59 which was his opening handicap mark a a 2 year old. He was again upped in trip to 11 furlongs, back at the track he broke his maiden tag at - Warwick. He was fairly impressive that day as he stayed on well to land the race by one and three quarter lengths. A 6lb rise followed which may have been a tad harsh on him and he finished 4/9 off his new mark of 65 last time out at Leicester back down over 10 furlongs. He runs over an extended 10 furlongs today and has been dropped down 1lb down to a mark of 64 which I believe shouldn't be beyond his capabilities. He's a horse in form and he will love the good to firm conditions having won in them at Warwick on his penultimate start. Daniel Tudhope takes the ride for the first time for what is one of two rides for him tonight and we all know the type of season he has been having. 1pt E/W Astrum @ 9/1 (888sport)

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013 Another decent priced placed finish to keep the good spell going, thought he was going to win at one point but just beaten by a less exposed/improving horse so he will certainly be one to keep on the right side of. Hopefully he won't go up in handicap for that but I expect a 1-2lb rise.

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013 16:55 Sandown David Elsworth's Emerging showed some great battling qualities last time out when winning at Musselburgh over 12 furlongs in a decent handicap. He was passed just over a furlong out but battled on gamely to get back up and win the race by three quarters of a length. The form of this race has worked out quite well as the horse he beat went on to romp a handicap next time out off the same mark winning by 9 lengths and is now rated 13lbs higher. Emerging was raised 5lbs for that win and off today's mark of 80 he should be in with a chance of landing his second race in a row. The fact he is top weight and has been dropped down to 10 furlongs today is a slight concern to me but at the prices he has to be taken as an each way shout. This however won't be the easiest of tasks as five of the other runners have also won this year with the remainder all having a place to their name. Having only had six runs to date, Emerging is still likely to be improving and I see no reason why he can't land this race at a decent price. 1pt E/W Emerging @ 11/ 1 (Bet365 - BOG, 1/5 odds, 1,2,3)

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013

16:10 York
The lightly raced
Avon Breeze
should have a race of this sort in her locker at some point in her career and after a career best effort last time out then she should be in with a chance of landing this handicap. From six runs so far she has won twice, her first win came at Beverley on her second start over the minimum trip for the first time (debut was over six furlongs) where she hosed up by 5 lengths. Although that wasn't a strong maiden race, she was given a great chance by the handicapper when given a mark of 65 for her handicap debut on the all weather at Wolverhampton. She was stepped back up in trip for that race and although she wasn't beaten far in second place, I feel she wasn't quite suited by the extra furlong. Dropped back down to five furlongs and upped 2lbs, she returned to Wolverhampton but this time over the minimum trip. She started slowly and never really picked up from that in what was a rather abysmal display, especially since she was sent off favourite for the race. She was put away for the winter after that poor effort. Her reappearance this year came at Ripon off a mark of 67 again and she won in fairly decent fashion by 3 lengths. The second and third place of that race have both won since which has boosted the form of that race a bit. She was raised 6lbs for that win and off a mark of 73 she was a close second place at Redcar. She was upped to a class 4 race for the first time that day and she reopposes the winner here today off 6lb better terms when you take into consideration the 5lb claim of George Chaloner who takes the ride for the first time. I feel she is certainly up to winning off a mark of 77 considering the two efforts she has put in this season suggests that she has improved over the winter from a 3 year old to a 4 year old and with the jockey's claim of 5lbs, she should have a great chance of being in the winners enclosure once again.
1pt E/W Avon Breeze @ 10/1 (
>Bet365
- BOG, 1/4
odds
, 1,2,3,4)

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013 Emerging went off at 6/1 and finished 3rd (advised at 11/1) so another placed finish for me. Avon Breeze was a non-runner so my good run does continue. A bit annoyed as I was quite short of time last night and did look at a couple of others and they duly obliged but it works both wins when they don't win so I'm not letting it bother me too much considering I am more than happy with how this is going. Off out tonight since it is payday and very busy tomorrow so probably won't be any selections tomorrow as I simply don't have enough time to have a proper look, all depends what time I rise tomorrow morning.

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013 Update: Chloe's Dream (-3.00) Demora + 10.00 Party Palace + 5.50 Little Eaglet + 4.50 Girl Of Cadiz + 0.75 Out Do + 8.00 Astrum + 0.80 Emerging + 1.20 Bets - 52 Won - 15 Placed - 10 Lost - 27 Pts Staked - 133.00 Pts Returned - 214.87 Profit - 81.87 Four winners and three places from eight selections, the other selection did place as well but was a win only bet so some terrific stuff since the last update, just a bit of ashame none of the bigger priced places went on to win but profit is profit. Almost 30pts profit from those eight as well which is probably my best spell so far. Ascot this week so no doubt be a fair few bets, looking at one bet, possibly two tomorrow which I will put up once I've had another look over the races.

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013 15:05 Ascot I think this a great opportunity for Reckless Abandon to get back into winning ways having finished 3rd on his seasonal reappearance at Haydock in a group 2 race 24 days ago. Although he won first time out as a 2 year old last season, it did appear that he was in need of the run at Haydock despite only going down by half a length, losing 2nd place in the dying strides. He was beaten by 2 horses who do reoppose here today but with that run under his belt he should be back to full race fitness and the fact he has already won over today's course and distance previously, I feel that will be enough to turn that form back around, especially considering he is much less exposed than Kingsgate Native and Swiss Spirit. Considering this was his first effort against his elders, that was a cracking effort, and even more so since he was on the far side with the 1st and 2nd running near side. The form of that race has been boosted since, with two of the horses who ran on the far side with Reckless Abandon winning in group and listed company since. My selection won all five races last year as a 2 year old, including two group 2 races and two group 1 races. Two of which in the UK and two outwith the UK. 2pt win Reckless Abandon @ 5/1 (Stan James - BOG)

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013 16:25 Ascot Such a tricky race to call with many in the race not having much form to go on and the fact 13 of the 16 runners that line up have already won a race, this makes out to be an exciting contest. The one I am siding with is Mick Channon's Riverboat Springs who was probably noted in a lot of people's notebook's by the way he ran on last time out. Back to that race in a minute but firstly he ran out a decent winner on his debut at Bath in May on his debut, running out a 2 and a quarter length winner. Although this was not the strongest of maiden races, the second placed horse has won since which does give the form a bit of substance. Back to the race last time out, Riverboat Springs was stepped up into a listed race at Epsom which we all know is a track that a lot of horses don't tend to handle and this was the case for my selection. He was at the back of the field for most of the race after getting outpaced early on and was hanging pretty badly during the race. Despite that he moved from 11th place into 2nd after a very strong run inside the final furlong and although he wasn't ever going to trouble the winner, that was a rather encouraging finish to the race. He should be a big danger here at a track that is more likely to suit despite being stepped up into a group 2 race. William Buick was on board last time out and is a very interesting booking once again. 1pt E/W Riverboat Springs @ 10/1 (Paddy Power - BOG, 1/4 odds, 1,2,3)

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013 16:25 Ascot Never a big fan in making selections in these type of races, especially since they can be a bit of a lottery but there is one in this race that I have been keeping my eye on and that is Mark Johnston's Maputo who has been ultra consistent in his four races to date. This colt made just the one appearance as a 2 year old back in May last year where he finished 2nd in a fairly ordinary maiden race at Ripon over 6 furlongs. He tended to get the hang of things late in the day and did stay on well and was certainly one to keep a look for next time out. Almost a year later before he made his reappearance and that came on the 5th of May at Hamilton, upped in trip to a mile. He ran out a very convincing winner that day, hacking up by 3 and a quarter lengths in what was an impressive display. He was handed a mark of 82 for his handicap debut at Redcar, where he was again stepped up in trip to 1m2f. Although this was only a 4 runner contest and he was well fancied, he got the job done in great style, winning his race by 10 lengths. A 6lb rise for that was more than fair and in honesty, I thought he was going to be hit more than that despite how weak that race may have been. His next appearance came just 12 days ago at Nottingham, again over 1m2f where he was once again impressive, winning the race by 2 lengths. My only concern today is his drop back down to a mile, but it is a trip that he has won over and the good to firm ground conditions are certainly in his favour having won twice on said ground, in saying that if the ground were to get any softer, he wouldn't mind that either as his maiden win at Hamilton came on soft ground. 1pt E/W Maputo @ 11/1 (Bet365 - BOG, 1/4 odds, 1,2,3,4,5)

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013 14:30 Ascot A lot of these horses could still be anything with pretty much every horse in the race still being unexposed having had very little runs. The one I have to side with though is Sandiva who already has some solid form in the book. She won on her debut at Nottingham over the minimum trip with great ease, winning her race by 6 lengths. The second place has won a maiden race since which does boost the form slightly. From there she was stepped up to listed level over in Ireland and also stepped up to 6 furlongs for the first time at Naas. Again she was impressive, winning the race by 2 lengths to Heart Focus in second place who does reoppose here today. I see no reason why that form should be reversed though. They were both well clear of the remainder that day. Sandiva is certainly a group horse in the making so it's no surprise to see her up in this company here today and I strongly fancy her to keep her unbeaten run. 3pt win Sandiva @ 9/4 (Bet365 - BOG)

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013 17:35 Ascot I can't get away from Andrew Balding's Highland Colori in this class 2 handicap. This consistent 5 year old is ultra consistent having had 18 runs to date he has notched up 6 wins from those. Five of those wins have been in handicap company and although he comes here off a career high mark after winning last time out, he should run his race once again. He won four times in total last year, notching up a hat-trick in May with wins at Windsor over 6 furlongs off a mark of 75, Newmarket over 7 furlongs off a mark of 80 and at Sandown over a mile off a mark of 85 before going on to win again over 7 furlongs at Newmarket off a mark of 88. He's just had the three runs this season, he was 4th on his reappearance at Haydock over 7 furlongs off a mark of 94, it appeared he was probably in need of the run that day as he was well fancied but his effort faded away inside the final furlong. He then appeared over today's course and distance, finishing 10/26 off a mark of 92. That wasn't the best of efforts but he was sent back to Newmarket over 7 furlongs where he had won over twice previously and he duly obliged in impressive fashion, hacking up by 3 and a quarter lengths off a mark of 92. William Buick keeps the ride today which is a positive, this was his first time on board but he has a good record when riding for his old trainer. Highland Colori has ran well enough here previously and although he is 7lbs higher than his win last time out, I believe he has a big each way chance. 1pt E/W Highland Colori @ 20/1 (Paddy Power - BOG, 1/4 odds, 1,2,3,4,5,6)

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013

17:00 Ascot
John Gosden's
Nichols Canyon
makes the step up into group company for the first time today after a couple of decent efforts in handicaps this year on his two outings. This lightly raced colt had three runs last season as a 2 year old finishing 2nd and 3rd at Sandown over a mile then finally winning on his third start at Goodwood where he was upped to 1m1f for the first time. He beat
Elidor
by 2 lengths that day who won here yesterday in a class 2 handicap.
Nichols Canyon
made his reappearance at Sandown over 10 furlongs which was also his handicap debut where he got in off a mark of 85. Although he was 4 lengths off the winner in third place, he had a bit of a hard luck story that day after being hampered and then he was short of room at a key stage in the race. Stepped up in trip again last time out at Newbury where he was beaten in second place by a nose. He just failed to get up having rallied on strongly and he has been raised up to a mark of 97 for that effort after pulling 9 lengths clear of the remainder of the field. He certainly looks a horse on the upgrade and although this is a big step up in class, I feel he is a good each way shout. The step up to 2 miles today for the first time could bring out some extra improvement in this unexposed colt.
1pt E/W Nichols Canyon @ 9/1 (WillHill - BOG, 1/4 odds, 1,2,3)

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013 15:10 Pontefract I find it interesting how Mark Johnston pitches two runners in this race who both face up against their elders for the first time today. This does tend to be the time of year where the younger horses do start to fare better against their elders and this could be some great placement from the trainer. It's hard to split the two of them and the jockey bookings certainly doesn't help as on bare form I fancy Salutation to be his best but stable jockey Joe Fanning opts for Lady Marmalade. The jockey doesn't always get it right and it's not always a surprise to see a trainer's "second string" win the race so I will be sticking with my instincts and opt for Salutation who makes a quick reappearance having finished 6th at Ascot just 3 days ago. This was in a hot handicap, and the gelding was only beaten 2 and a half lengths. He is raised 1lb for that effort and loses a 3lb claim so is effectively 4lbs higher for today's race but with a more experienced jockey on board and the age allowance getting him in off a nice weight, he should have a great chance here today. He also drops back down into a class 3 race. The drop back down to 10 furlongs should suit, he's only tackled the trip three times from 14 runs and has form of 217 from those three races. The 7th placed effort came at Epsom which is not the easiest of tracks to contend with so is a piece of form I can ignore. My only other concern is that this race may have come too quickly from Ascot but I don't think the trainer would take chances if he didn't believe this horse had a great chance here today. He is quite exposed as a 3 year old having had 14 runs but off a mark of 84 he should still be relatively well handicapped considering how well he won off a mark of 81 at Nottingham, albeit that was in a four runner race. 2pt win Salutation @ 9/2 (BetVictor - BOG)

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013 I did think there was a big chance of Salutation being a non-runner and in the end that's exactly what happened. Looking at a couple of bets tomorrow but still not sure whether I will make any selections. George Cinq who I put up last time out and was narrowly beaten runs again but still weighing that race up at the moment.

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013 19:40 Windsor Wrote this about George Cinq for his race at Kempton last time out:

20:25 Kempton
It's hard to get away from Michael Bell's
George Cinq
in this race in my opinion. First of all he's posted two sounds efforts at the track so far, both over the shorter trip of seven furlongs having won once in a maiden race on just his second start and finished second in a class 2 race on his handicap debut off a mark of 79 on his third start. He was put away for the winter after that effort and made his comeback this year in a class 4 race at Yarmouth, again off a mark of 79 where he posted a fairly poor effort it must be said. He did however come on for that run finishing a very good 2/12 in a handicap at Ascot last time out, finishing just a half length behind the winner
King Of The Danes
who has since boosted the form by hacking up in a handicap at Goowdood since off 6lbs higher and is now rated 89 on turf.
George Cinq
has been raised 3lbs for that second placed effort and is now rated 82 but I reckon he's still well handicapped off that mark.
2pt win George Cinq @ 5/2 (
Stan James
- BOG)

He was very unlucky not to win that day, going down by just a nose after being headed on the post despite looking the likely winner. He is raised 2lbs again up to a mark of 84 but it's certainly one he is capable of winning off of. He's shown solid form in handicaps so far and his last two defeats, he has lost to progressive horses although having only had six runs himself, he is still progressing. Messila Star will be a danger having had just the two runs so far and after winning a maiden last time out, makes his handicap debut and is upped in trip for that but that maiden race wasn't anything special so I will be sticking with George Cinq to finally get a deserved win here today. 3pt win George Cinq @ 10/3 (Bet Victor - BOG)

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013 Will get an update at some point today. 16:00 Beverley Mark Johnston's Reset City looks the one to beat here today. Her only win to date was just two starts ago over today's course and distance where she took advantage of a career low mark. She won a 15 runner handicap by three quarters of a length off a mark of 60 in what was her first visit to this track. The 4th place has went on to win in handicap company twice since then on the all weather and the 6th place has also went on to win since so the form of that race has been boosted slightly. This will only be my selections 6th run for Mark Johnston and he seems to have got the best out of this horse having form of 25212 since joining the yard. She was only beaten a short head at Brighton last time out off a mark of 69 after being raised 9lns for her win over course and distance and I find it quite bizarre how she has been dropped 5lbs for today's race. Off a mark just 4lbs higher than her course and distance win surely gives her a great chance of landing her second career win. Franny Norton is back on board and he knows how to win on her having been in the saddle here on her penultimate start. 3pt win Reset City @ 2/1 (Bet365 - BOG)

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013 Update: Reckless Abandon (-2.00) Riverboat Springs (-2.00) Maputo (-2.00) Sandiva (-3.00) Highland Colori (-2.00) Nichols Canyon (-2.00) George Cinq (-3.00) Reset City (-3.00) Bets - 60 Won - 15 Placed - 10 Lost - 35 Pts Staked - 152.00 Pts Returned - 214.87 Profit - 62.87 Horrible run at the moment, 8 bets without a single return, even place money. Onwards and upwards though, have to take the bad runs with the good runs and overall the pts profit shown is still at a level higher than I expected.

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013 20:00 Newbury A race full of lightly raced runners with only one runner having more than 10 runs in this field of 11. I feel I have found a bit of value in this race and although the current favourite Imperial Glance should take all the beating considering the manner of his victory last time out, and the fact he gets in off the same handicap mark due to that being an amateur's race, the same amateur who takes off 7lbs today (took off 8 in the amateur race), I am willing to oppose him. The one I am siding with is Tagalaka who makes his 8th start here in this race. He's not shown the most consistent of form to date having only won once and been unplaced in his 6 other efforts but his best form has been in handicap company. He was only beaten one and a half lengths in 4th off a mark of 59 on his handicap debut at Kempton which was also his first try at the mile trip and his first run of the season and it did appear he was in need of that run. A poor effort at Bath followed before returning to Kempton over the mile where he went on to win by a length, again off a mark of 59. A 5lb rise for that may have been a bit harsh and his last run at Windsor ended in an 8 length defeat, finishing 6/11. He has been dropped 4lbs for that, down to a mark of 60 which is just 1lb higher than his win at Kempton, although he is still rated 63 on the all weather. The handicapper has certainly given him a chance in doing this despite the fact he appears to be more at home on the all weather. 0.5pts EW Tagalaka @ 28/1 (WillHill - BOG, 1/5 odds, 1,2,3)

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013 15:50 Salisbury Great handicap this for a Tuesday in what should be a wide open contest. You could make a claim for several, if not most of these runners and the one I like best is Jacob Cats. This consistent 4 year old has won 4 times from 10 races and was fairly progressive as a 3 year old last season. He was raced three times as a 2 year old back in 2011, winning a decent maiden at this course on his second attempt. Richard Hannon clearly rated him as on his reappearance last year he was entered into the Tattersalls Millions 3 year old sprint at Newmarket, a race worth 81k. He finished 9/15 and although he never really got involved, it wasn't a bad effort. He then made his handicap debut off a mark of 80 at Sandown, upped in trip to a mile for the first time. He ran out the winner by three quarters of a length that day before following up over the same course and distance two months later off a mark of 85, beating the very useful Burke's Rock by 1 and a quarter lengths, a horse who has now won at listed level and is rated 97. That form has also been franked by the third placed finisher who has won 3 times since between last season and this season in handicap company. Jacob Cats then finished 4th and 3rd in decent handicaps at Goodwood (8f) and Newmarket (7f) off marks of 91 and 92, finishing just a length off the winner both times, before heading to Newmarket again up into a class 2 handicap over a mile which he got up to win by a neck, he ran on strongly in the closing stages and had he not been denied a clear run when about to make his effort, he could have won by more. He switched trainers over the winter to Olly Stevens and although his debut effort for this trainer off a mark of 96 at Thirsk was not the best of efforts, he has always needed a run in the previous 2 seasons, winning on his second starts in 2011 and 2012. Back at a course where he broke his maiden tag and with a run under his belt, he should have a much livelier chance. 1pt E/W Jacob Cats @ 10/1 (Stan James - BOG, 1/4 odds, 1,2,3)

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013 20:50 Hamilton Wrote this about Hopes N Dreams on his penultimate start at Carlisle:

19:45 Carlisle A case could be made for several of the runners in this open looking handicap over the minimum trip and the one I like most is Kevin Ryan's five year old Hopes 'N Dreams. This mare had her first eight runs over in Ireland for trainer John F Gleeson before moving to Tony Coyle where he decided to race her in the UK for the first time on her debut for his yard. This seemed to do the trick as she ran out a 2 length winner in a handicap off a mark of 55 over 6 furlongs at Nottingham before following up in a selling handicap at Hamilton over 6 furlongs where she romped up by 7 lengths. She was then acquired by her current stable Kevin Ryan after that race. She has only managed just the one win from 13 runs for her current yard and that came on her second appearance for Kevin Ryan when she won at Hamilton again in a handicap off a mark of 70. She was very impressive that day running out a three and 3/4 length winner. She was raised 12lbs for that win which was fairly hefty and although she hasn't won since then in eleven races, she has placed three times off marks of 78 (twice) and 79 so she could be dangerously handicapped here today off a mark of 75 considering she is still rated 79 on the all weather. She drops down in grade as well having been competing in class 3 races in her last 3 runs with her latest effort being the best of those at Ripon in a fairly competitive handicap off a mark of 77. She was on a mark of 81 just three races ago and the handicapper has possibly being a bit lenient dropping her down 6lbs within a few races. She is also dropped down to five furlongs today, a trip which she has only tackled three times from 23 runs in which she has placed twice. There's no doubt her optimum trip is 6 furlongs with all three of her wins coming over that distance but I reckon she is worth chancing over the minimum trip here today. The stable is in much better form now with quite a few winners on the board this past week which should boost her chances of running a good race. 1pt E/W Hopes 'N Dreams @ 10/1 (Bet365 - BOG, 1/5 odds, 1,2,3)
Ran a decent race that day after being well punted and going off 3/1 favourite, finishing 3rd after staying on late in the day. Possibly the minimum trip was a bit on the short side and he did follow this run up with a win over today's course and distance off the same mark of 75. This was his third win over course and distance from 3 runs and off a 3lb higher mark today, he should have a great chance of making that 4/4. The 3lb rise from that win is eased thanks to 3lb claimer Bryan Toomey taking the ride tonight which should increase his chances here tonight. 3pt win Hopes N Dreams @ 9/2 (Bet365 - BOG)

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013 16:10 Doncaster Trappy looking contest this but the one I am going to side with is Jodies Jem who has certainly improved on every one of his starts to date. He was well beaten on his first two starts which both came on the turf at Yarmouth over 6 and 7 furlongs. He was then tried on the all weather for the first time at Kempton over 7 furlongs where he finished a close 3/14 before finally breaking his maiden tag at the fourth attempt when winning a maiden race at Wolverhampton over 7 furlongs in what was an impressive victory as he romped home by 4 lengths. Stepped up to a mile for his handicap debut which was his last start as a 2 year old, a race in which he won the race by three quarters of a length. He was turned out again a month later at Lingfield, again over a mile where he was only beaten by half a length off a 5lb higher mark of 80. He battled on gamely after being passed but just wasn't enough to get back up for the win. He was raised 2lbs for that and made his reappearance to the turf last month at Sandown where he was narrowly defied by a neck by Sea Shanty. He showed a good battling attitude again after being passed and then staying on again late in the day. Raised 5lbs for that win and is up in class today which could work against him but the fact he has steadily improved on his runs so far, I expect another big run here today. 2pts E/W Jodies Jem @ 8/1 (Paddy Power - BOG, 1/5 odds, 1,2,3)

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013 15:20 Windsor I think this is a great opportunity for Roger Varian's Duroble Man to gain his second win of his career. Despite only winning once from 7 races, this consistent gelding has only unplaced on one occasion and that was on his debut at Sandown last year as a 2 year old. He then finished 3rd in four races on the bounce over distances from 7-12 furlongs before finally getting off the mark on his penultimate start at Brighton, which was his first try over 10 furlongs. This came in his third handicap race off a mark of 72 where he ran out a one and a quarter length winner. He was only raised 4lbs for that win, and last time out he was upped in class and finished 2/11 at Sandown, again over 10 furlongs, only losing by three quarters of a length to a decent horse in London Bridge who has went on to win again since off a mark 7lbs higher and is no rated 16lbs higher than the win at Sandown. Duroble Man was a further 5 lengths clear of the third placed horse that day and although he has been raised 8lbs himself, that is a solid piece of form. 5pt win Duroble Man @ 5/2 (Paddy Power - BOG)

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013 19:30 Bath Although Mark Johnston's Sandy's Row is without a win in her nine career starts to date, I have a feeling she has a chance of breaking that duck off bottom weight in this race. The stable is in fine form at the minute, banging in winners left, right and centre and we all know how well this trainer does when stepping horses up in trip for the first time which is the case here today for Sandy's Row who tackles 10 furlongs for the first time today. Her 2 year old form last year was not much to shout about at all with her best effort coming on her handicap debut off a mark of 64 at Catterick when she was also tackling 7 furlongs for the first time. She was only beaten half a length that day back in third place. The winner of that race has progressed nicely since then, winning twice and finishing 2nd from his next three races in the UK before competing in listed and group races in Europe and America where he has won a group 3 contest. The race was also boosted by the 4th placed horse who was 2 and three quarter lengths behind went on to win 3 handicaps later in the year and was rated as high as 85 on turf. Sandy's Row made her reappearance last month on the all weather at Southwell in a maiden race over 6 furlongs where she was well beaten. Eight days later she was tried over a mile for the first time at Yarmouth where again she was fairly well beaten before heading to Thirks for a handicap off a mark of 62. Although she finished 5/13 and was well beaten again, she did make some late progress. Gets in off a mark of 62 again here today which is a career low mark. The step up in trip may bring out the improvement that is needed for this horse to finally get her head in front. 1pt E/W Sandy's Row @ 11/1 (Bet365 - BOG)

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013 19:15 Haydock Richard Hughes and Richard Hannon team up with top weight Corncockle in this 2 year old nursery race. This filly takes a big drop in class today having competed in a listed race and a group 2 race in her last two outings. She was well beaten in both races but she was clearly out of her depth in both of those races so it's unfair to evaluate her on those performances. Her only win to date has been over today's distance of 6 furlongs where she won a class 4 maiden at Newmarket by three quarters of a length beating a horse who was well clear of the remainder and has franked the form by winning next time out. She looks to have been given a fair mark for her handicap debut here and I can certainly see her winning races off a mark of 83. She certainly has the scope to improve in handicap company in my opinion, especially down into class 4 and with Richard Hughes taking the ride for the first time on board her tonight, she is in good hands. 2pt win Corncockle @ 13/2 (Betfred - BOG)

Re: Simmy's flat/jumps thread 2013 19:30 Windsor

Yesterday's sole selection was a close second place which is ashame. Certainly one to keep an eye on still. 16:10 Redcar Ed McMahon's lightly raced 4 year old Angelito gets my vote in what is probably the race of the day on the card here at Redcar. This gelding didn't appear on track until last year as a 3 year old. He made his debut at Windsor in July in what was his sole start over 6 furlongs to date having been dropped down to five furlongs on his second start and all his starts since then. It wasn't until his third run when he broke his maiden tag, running out a one and a half length winner at Bath before following up with another victory over that course and distance on his handicap debut off a mark of 70 just 13 days later. He ended the year with his first run on the all weather at Wolverhampton off a mark 6lbs higher where he finished 3/11, 2 lengths off the winner. Angelito made his reappearance just 24 days ago at Thirsk off the same mark of 76, finishing second in a 19 runner field where he was just narrowly beaten. Raised 3lbs for that run up to a mark of 79 but he should improve on that run considering that was his first run in eight months. The forecasted good to firm ground will play into his hands having had his two best efforts on good to firm ground. 2pts E/W Angelito @ 6/1 (Ladbrokes)
Wrote this about Angelito for his race last time out and although he was a disappointing 6th that day, he dwelt at the start which pretty much ruled out his chances at such an early stage in the race, however he did stay on well and wasn't beaten all that far in the end. He is certainly worth chancing here today, dropping down 1lb in the handicap down to a mark of 78. He has had the one run at the track previously where he posted a decent effort over 6 furlongs on his debut here so it does appear that he acts at the track and he should certainly run his race here tonight. 4pt win Angelito @ 9/2 (Betfred - BOG)