** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Where have you got to with your racing?

I only ask because having bet for over 60 years now I have finally returned to the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid). I began before betting shops and had to sneak in to the local caff to get on with the bookie's runner. Selections were arrived at by studying the Daily Mirror betting page and trying to find one to beat the fav, usually from 1sts or 2nds last time out. Went on to studying the form book and the compiling my own speed ratings. Had some success in the early 70's backing hotshots place only on the old nanny-goat. Latterly compiled my own tissue from my own form ratings converted into percentages and on into prices. It all takes up so much time that now I just make a 'Master Rater Chart' from Clive Holt's 'The Fine Form Master Formula' and find that just as good and a whole lot easier. Readers are probably not interested in all this guff so perhaps it's best to provide examples: I only consider the 2 best penalty prize races from the principal meeting and the best from any other meeting, but not the All Weather meetings. Also no interest in any race where any of my selections are shorter than 2/1 as my overall winning strike-rate seldom exceeds 30%. Races today are the Kempton 4.00, 5.10. Exeter 3.00. Kempton 4.00 Mickie 17 (-£4), Unika La Reconce 16 (-£7), Call Me A Star 11 (-£4) = -£15 5.10 Larks Lad 13 (-£3), Shuil Royal 12 (-£5), Whispering Jack 12 (-£2) = -£10 Exeter 3.00 The Clyda Rover 14 (+£20), Sea Saffron 13 (-£5), Double Dizzy 8 (-£3)(Upham Atom 8) = +£12 Down £13 on the day The bet is: Employing a 3 bank system bet to clear £20 on each named runner but not in any race where the total stake exceeds £20. I did say it was simple :D.

Re: Where have you got to with your racing? Flat and Jumps top-class meetings today. Newmarket 2.55 Zanetto 9, Tamayuz Star 9, Bungle In The Jungle 7 (+£10) 4.05 Sky Lantern 9, Nargys 7, Winning Express 7 (-£16) Cheltenham 3.55 Champion Court 13, Big Fella Thanks 12, Ghizao 12 (SP 15/8 win = No bet) Beverley 4.20 Caranbola 10, Jamaican bolt 9, Ancient Cross 6, (Baby Strange 6) (-£7) (Down £13 on the day plus £13 yesterday so overall down £26)

Re: Where have you got to with your racing? Hi Jack You ask 'where have you got with your racing'? I actually use principles written back in 1955 by a guy named Promath (AKA Mathorpe) that work just as good today as they did back then and he did all the stats longhand while I can do them in seconds on a computer. Ive read 5 of the books he wrote in the 50's very interesting concepts to betting. Do you remember him from the late 50/60's (before my time) ,he used to do the write ups in the Sporting Investor and the Handicappers black Book. Started using one of his flat methods again on Saturday which usually produces at least one selection a day when the flat gets going proper. A good positive start so far,​ but 2 swallows do not a summer make. Sat Nap Kemp 3.15 Lilly's Angel won @ 5/2 sp NB None Sunday None Monday none Tues Nap South 3.15 Noguchi won @ 85/40 sp NB none Wed Today 2 selections Nap and NB are both in the same race so looks like 2 dutched singles and a R/F the pair :hope Nap Newm 2.55 Victrix Ludorum 3/1 NB Newm 2.55 Tamayuz Star 7/1 Good luck with your selections (sometimes the old ones are the best ones ;) )

Re: Where have you got to with your racing? Hi machine, I just pulled a hardback out of my racing library - Converging Factor Racing Formulas (Gold Centre) by Promath........I havn't looked at it for years. Used to take the Sporting Investor 10p a month, I have one copy left somewhere. Looking along the shelf for Postlib publications I found, 'How Professioals Bet on Horses' by R.W. Wood, 'How to Read Your Racing Page' compiled by Walter Swan, 'Methodical Betting Throughout the Year' by Monty Preston and 'The Barrage Racing Plan'. I ought to be a millionaire by now.

Re: Where have you got to with your racing? Newmarket 3.30 Move In Time 15, Captain Raimius 12, Tiddliwinks 6. (-£13) Cheltenham 2.35 Violin Davies 19, Marie Des Anges 19, Tara Rose 12. (+£10) Ripon 3.55 Lightening Launch 14, Hidden Coin 14, Country Western 13 (+£17) (Up £14 on the day reducing the overall deficit to £12)

Re: Where have you got to with your racing? Jackform, Machine, I remember the books you mention. I am a big fan of The Sporting Investor and Postlib Publications books. Wasn't around when they were at the hieght of publishing, and a bit young towards their end, but have read many of the boks and the monthly mag. Some great articles in the mag, loved "Hobnobbing With Uncle Joe," and "Everyman's Guide To Methodical Betting." My favourite book, of those I have read so far is "Shock Draws and How To Find Them." I'd love to read more but they are just so overpriced. Shame.

Re: Where have you got to with your racing?

My favourite book, of those I have read so far is "Shock Draws and How To Find Them." I'd love to read more but they are just so overpriced. Shame.
I have read that as well as Converging factors very similar principles A good source of books used to be Browzers, (in Wythenshaw Manchester ) owner was retiring in January this year and under new ownership now I think as the website is being updated,found the prices of books on there very reasonable compared to elsewhere.

• 1 month later...

Re: Where have you got to with your racing?

I only ask because having bet for over 60 years now I have finally returned to the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid). I began before betting shops and had to sneak in to the local caff to get on with the bookie's runner. Selections were arrived at by studying the Daily Mirror betting page and trying to find one to beat the fav, usually from 1sts or 2nds last time out. Went on to studying the form book and the compiling my own speed ratings. Had some success in the early 70's backing hotshots place only on the old nanny-goat. Latterly compiled my own tissue from my own form ratings converted into percentages and on into prices. It all takes up so much time that now I just make a 'Master Rater Chart' from Clive Holt's 'The Fine Form Master Formula' and find that just as good and a whole lot easier. Readers are probably not interested in all this guff so perhaps it's best to provide examples: I only consider the 2 best penalty prize races from the principal meeting and the best from any other meeting, but not the All Weather meetings. Also no interest in any race where any of my selections are shorter than 2/1 as my overall winning strike-rate seldom exceeds 30%. Races today are the Kempton 4.00, 5.10. Exeter 3.00. Kempton 4.00 Mickie 17 (-£4), Unika La Reconce 16 (-£7), Call Me A Star 11 (-£4) = -£15 5.10 Larks Lad 13 (-£3), Shuil Royal 12 (-£5), Whispering Jack 12 (-£2) = -£10 Exeter 3.00 The Clyda Rover 14 (+£20), Sea Saffron 13 (-£5), Double Dizzy 8 (-£3)(Upham Atom 8) = +£12 Down £13 on the day The bet is: Employing a 3 bank system bet to clear £20 on each named runner but not in any race where the total stake exceeds £20. I did say it was simple :D.
Nice to see another Fineform enthusiast Jack. I've been a fan for years, but have always found it difficult to decide which races are best to rate. Any thoughts, other than what you state above? The Master Rater Chart you mention, is that just the same as the one Clive uses in his books, or have you amended it to incorporate your own theories? The losing runs always dent my enthusiasm I'm afraid. Look forward to hearing more from you about FF. Cheers, Steve