** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Aston Villa v Wigan Athletic > Sat 29th December

Aidymac

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617] [TR=class: row1] [TD=class: firstColumn]Aston Villa v Wigan Athletic (15:00 GMT)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.31[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.4[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.6[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]100.48 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: Aston Villa v Wigan Athletic > Sat 29th December Villa are coming off two heavy defeats back to back. At home their form is not great. With QPR they have scored the fewest home goals in the premier league (8). However, in the first half they are a tough team to beat, only losing once in nine starts (3 wins and 5 draws) Their main problem is scoring goals , only 3 in 9 first halves which is not good enough. Wigan are unable to score goals away in the 1st half. They have not scored a 1st half goal in 9 games. 7 nil-nil draws and 2 losses. This is a fixture that has not produced goals . In 7 meetings they have been under 2.5 goals 7 times. BTTS has failed 5 in 7 meetings. There has not been one game in 7 where either team has scored 2 1st half goals. Villa have scored 2 1st half goals in 7 games between the two teams at Villa Park. So the 0-0 half time does look like a distinct possibility here. Villa to draw at HT and win at FT is 4-1 (various ) --- looks pretty good. Maybe a better bet than the 2.31 for the straight Villa win.

Re: Aston Villa v Wigan Athletic > Sat 29th December aston villa now looks.low.on confidence and off balance. I still think wigan doesnt look.like a team giving up and they have not much luck while working hard. for me they found a abit better balance recently. no way i would back that price on villa under these circumstances.. both would be devestated going one down and thus both might look for their defence first. so the ht draw.looks good.

Re: Aston Villa v Wigan Athletic > Sat 29th December As Jase mentions above villa come off the back of 2 heavy defeats against stronger opposition. I can see villa, although they have an inexperienced team, they have the raw talent, especially with Benteke, f he puts a shift in can like he did against utd (if memory serves me correctly) getting a goal or 2 as they are desperate for points and wont have a better chance than against a lowly Wigan side. Wigan on the other hand are in need of points themselves and will see villa, low in confidante, for the taking... Personally going against the stats and feel BTTS @ 1.80 with bet365 are too good to turn down

Re: Aston Villa v Wigan Athletic > Sat 29th December This one looks an absolute minefield to me. I agree with what has been said about the standard of opposition Villa have faced recently but conceding 12 goals in two league games is sure to have an affect on their young squad and the prospect of them returning to the sort of form that saw them unbeaten in the 5 games before the last 2 aways could well be wishful thinking. Prior to the excellent away win at Liverpool, Villa avoided defeat against Arsenal, QPR and Stoke and beat Reading. However, they only conceded 1 goal in that 4 match run and any return to such defensive thrift certainly cannot be guaranteed anytime soon. What to say about Wigan? Well, not a lot really, in bad form, without a win in 6 and desperate for points themselves. The Wigan scout at the Villa game against Spurs would surely have one message for Martinez - go for the throat. If the away team can get their noses in front, heads will drop and Wigan just might get something out of this game. Interestingly, Wigan have only lost 1 of their last 7 away games to Villa in the league - I'd be suprised to find them with a better away record against any other PL team! I have a feel anything could happen hereand I just can't call it.

Re: Aston Villa v Wigan Athletic > Sat 29th December

As Jase mentions above villa come off the back of 2 heavy defeats against stronger opposition. I can see villa, although they have an inexperienced team, they have the raw talent, especially with Benteke, f he puts a shift in can like he did against utd (if memory serves me correctly) getting a goal or 2 as they are desperate for points and wont have a better chance than against a lowly Wigan side. Wigan on the other hand are in need of points themselves and will see villa, low in confidante, for the taking... Personally going against the stats and feel BTTS @ 1.80 with bet365 are too good to turn down
Then Benteke to score looks much more value..

Re: Aston Villa v Wigan Athletic > Sat 29th December Aston Villa host Wigan Athletic on Saturday, with both teams in desperate form. It's a worrying time for both clubs and this game is very important in terms of trying to avoid relegation. Aston Villa really got found out in their last two games. They were completely destroyed against Chelsea 8-0, while I managed to watch them play Spurs midweek, where they were once again completely out of their depth. Their current team is full of youngsters, many of whom just aren't good enough for the Premier League. They're missing too many of their key players through injury and it is really beginning to take its toll on their performances. There is no denying that confidence will be very low after conceding 12 goals in the previous two games. The biggest problem for Villa is possession. They were completely out-played by Spurs midweek. They lack anybody with experience to put their foot on the ball and show composure. Stephen Ireland came on early in the first half to try and give Villa direction (due to an injury enforced change), but he was no use. Fabian Delph is way too lightweight. Wigan have been playing well of late, but simply cannot find the luck needed to pick up results. They didn't play badly at Goodison Park against Everton, but were unlucky to lose 2-1. They are however quite desperate now to pick up points again, and they will definitely target this game as a potential win. They have also been suffering from injuries too, but do have a strong team available to pick from. I think there could be tired bodies, but they will fight hard for their manager Martinez. Another key piece of information for this game should be noted. Lambert faced Martinez twice last season as Norwich manager. Both matches ended 1-1. It's very possible this game could end in the same scoreline. Neither team can afford to lose this game, while both team will try to win too. A draw seems the most likely result, but I would also slightly favour Wigan in this tie. Therefore a low stakes bet on the draw is worthwhile, but also a small stakes pick on Wigan +0AH too. There is good value on this line I feel. My picks: 1x2 - X with Pinnacle @ 3.33 odds (1/10 units) Wigan +0AH with Pinnacle @ 2.29 odds (2/10 units)

Re: Aston Villa v Wigan Athletic > Sat 29th December *Wigan WIN @ 3.3 Betfair* I really fancy Wigan for this one. They played quite well at Goodison Park last time out, looked dogged defensively, and were rather unlucky to get beat. I just think Villa are unbackable at the moment, they have conceded 12 goals in their last 2 games, and Martinez will try to exploit that weakness. Agbonlahor is a major doubt, N'Zogbia is out, Weimann could be out and they still have the long-standing injuries like Dunne, Bent and Gardner, so they lack strength in depth at the moment. Alcaraz could be available for Wigan tomorrow, which would be a plus for them. Caldwell and Ramis come back available for selection which, again, is a major plus for Wigan. Interestigly, Wigan tend to always fare well at Villa Park. Here are the results. Aston Villa 0 Wigan 0 Aston Villa 0 Wigan 2 Aston Villa 1 Wigan 1 Aston Villa 0 Wigan 2 Aston Villa 0 Wigan 2 Aston Villa 1 Wigan 1 Aston Villa 2 Wigan 0 So as we can see, unders will be a popular choice by many for this match. But Wigan have only lost once in 7 games at Villa Park, and this is probably the weakest Villa side we have seen for a long time, especially defensively. I think Wigan have a great chance to take all 3 points with the form Villa are in at the moment.

Re: Aston Villa v Wigan Athletic > Sat 29th December Injury and suspension list for Villa is big. They are for sure a bit nervous for the situation after conceeding so much. they probably fear another humilation. This makes descicions for them difficult. Wigan played good organized football vs. Arsenal and Everton. They are desperate for points. I think they are in a kind of uptrend performance wise. wigan win looks good.

Re: Aston Villa v Wigan Athletic > Sat 29th December Injuries and suspensions Aston Villa v Wigan Athletic Aston Villa: Baker (9/0 d), Vlaar (13/0 d), Agbonlahor (13/1 f), N'Zogbia (8/0 m), Bent (10/2 f), Gardner (1/0 m), Dunne (0/0 d), Weimann (12/3 f), Petrov (0/0 m) Wigan Athletic: Lopez (5/0 d), Alcaraz (2/0 d), Watson (8/1 m), Myaichi (4/0 f), Crusat (0/0 m), Ramis (13/1 d) (doubtful)

Re: Aston Villa v Wigan Athletic > Sat 29th December Aston Villa @ 2.74 pinnacle Villa are coming off two big losses to top 4 sides but like them to bounce back here against a Wigan side struggling to find a win. Wigan have lost 7 of their last 9 games which includes their last 4 away games, and the problem has been their defence which has allowed at least two goals in 8 of these 9 games. Though Villa has its share of injuries, so does Wigan, but while Wigan have not been able to pull it together, Villa have been resolute, especially at home, where they have 3 clean sheets in their last 4 home games. Like Villa to do enough here to edge out Wigan, who just look short of quality in key areas

I think this has draw written all over it for me. Both sides suffering with absentees. Both sides in indifferent form - Wigan probably more so, as Villa would probably have expected to lose to Chelsea and Spurs, it was probably the manor of those defeats that was the surprising aspect. For the record I think the absence of Ron Vlaar has been the most significant for Villa as the other players have barely played much football under Lambert and have been struggling for form. N'Zogbia, Agbonlahor, Bent, Dunne etc were all players left over from the MacLeish era and haven't been favoured under the new regime, or have been performing poorly, or have been just plain injured. I have my suspicions about Darren Bent's "injury"... He has clearly not been favoured by Paul Lambert and it wouldn't surprise me to see him sold in January. Wigan's injury list is also less severe as they have players that can come in, and they will always look to play their own brand of football the right way. That's where I think the weather could effect them slightly more here. Lastly, Villa have previously this season managed to keep it tight against mid to lower level sides at Villa Park, and I can see them going back to basics in an attempt to regain some lost momentum. They've struggled for the wins too in doing that, so I think there is a high probability of Villa pushing but not being able to achieve the win they need. So a draw seems logical to me. Draw @ 3.25 - Stan James.

*Wigan WIN @ 3.3 Betfair* I really fancy Wigan for this one. They played quite well at Goodison Park last time out, looked dogged defensively, and were rather unlucky to get beat. I just think Villa are unbackable at the moment, they have conceded 12 goals in their last 2 games, and Martinez will try to exploit that weakness. Agbonlahor is a major doubt, N'Zogbia is out, Weimann could be out and they still have the long-standing injuries like Dunne, Bent and Gardner, so they lack strength in depth at the moment. Alcaraz could be available for Wigan tomorrow, which would be a plus for them. Caldwell and Ramis come back available for selection which, again, is a major plus for Wigan. Interestigly, Wigan tend to always fare well at Villa Park. Here are the results. Aston Villa 0 Wigan 0 Aston Villa 0 Wigan 2 Aston Villa 1 Wigan 1 Aston Villa 0 Wigan 2 Aston Villa 0 Wigan 2 Aston Villa 1 Wigan 1 Aston Villa 2 Wigan 0 So as we can see, unders will be a popular choice by many for this match. But Wigan have only lost once in 7 games at Villa Park, and this is probably the weakest Villa side we have seen for a long time, especially defensively. I think Wigan have a great chance to take all 3 points with the form Villa are in at the moment.
Great performance from Wigan, Villa's misery continues. :loon

Good call Aidy :clap Never in a million years did I see Wigan running out 3-0 winners... They'll not score three away again for a looooooong time..
Thanks mate, we all have our own opinions I guess, I thought they were a great bet personally as Villa are hugely low on confidence at the moment.

Re: Aston Villa v Wigan Athletic > Sat 29th December :(what the heck??! Villa let me down for a large sum today I had an under 2.5 at this match...yeah as you guys stated Wigan won't win away from home in the next...100 years??! Why should it happen today though to ruin my great bet??! I hope Villa will get relegated along with QPR in the end...

:(what the heck??! Villa let me down for a large sum today I had an under 2.5 at this match...yeah as you guys stated Wigan won't win away from home in the next...100 years??! Why should it happen today though to ruin my great bet??! I hope Villa will get relegated along with QPR in the end...
Cause as stated wigan had clear uptrend which wasnt seen in the statistics while Villa with a big downtrend.. no suprise sorry. You should forgive them and it will make future bets easier.