Group D > Nov 6 (Man City, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax)

Re: Group D > Nov 6 (Man City, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax) real madrid vs borussia dortmund BTS 1.65 betfair gonzalo higuain to score anytime 2.3 betfair when we look at starting team , i see 2 things, benzema out ( cause he injured in training this week), and the defense of real madrid ( ramos varane pepe arbeloa) essien and xabi to recuperate the ball.. i think marcelo missing is a big problem for mourinho and like we saw in dortmund , he have to reorganize his defense with unexperient varane, and arbeloa left back, with dortmund forward like lewandowski reus goetze, i really think dortmund have a great chance to score, they playing well this year with their great coach in champions after draw in manchester, hard win vs ajax, and big win at home vs real, they are only team unbeaten in this group. they have 7 points and loosing tonight not will be dramatic for dortmund and i think for this "gala" match, dortmund will not come in victim in bernabeu. gonzalo higuain after great starting season with many goals and with benzema injured, have opportunity to start in champions ( benzema play champion when higuain start in liga), i think 2.3 is a good value !

Re: Group D > Nov 6 (Man City, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax)

For Ajax backers....now come on lads' date=' just be serious. Have you seen ajax how they play in eredivise lately? They are awful, last 2 games they draw with feyenoord 3-3 and lost home with vitesse 0-2. I watched both games and they didn't conviced me at all. For City this will be last chance to qualify from this group. Anyway....my bet will be on City beating Ajax on handicap (1,5)[/quote'] Have you seen City play in the PL? :rollin i can assure you it wont have been any better than Ajax!

To be honest I've read virtually the same thing before every game City have played in Europe, 'City are by far the better team' 'weak opposition' etc etc, but I am yet to see them play well in Europe. I was on them quite heavily in the away game against Ajax as I thought they would have the upper hand at a good price, I was wrong. They struggled to keep the ball for any period of time and looked clueless for most of the game. What has changed!? They now have many more injuries than previously, their main creative player is out (Silva), Lescott, Milner, Rodwell, Richards, Maicon and Kolo Toure are all missing, so thats 4 probable starters out. Their league form is poor by their standards, not losing games but struggling to break down teams at home - beating the -1EH 2 times in 8 competitive games at home, against Sunderland and QPR who are both poor sides. What are they going to do here? They might win but I very, very much doubt it will be convincing talk of 4-0 wins has no basis at all. At this price and with their current form and injuries they really are mug punter material..
Not been a member of the forum for too long but used to read a fair amount of threads on here and you sir always seem to talk sense. Another well reasoned and thought provoking post mate, keep up the good work.

Re: Group D > Nov 6 (Man City, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax) Man City v Ajax over 3.5 @ 2.33 pinnacle Desperate times for Man City if they wish to progress from their group and expect them to go out for the win. They started with Balotelli, Tevez and Dzeko up front against West Ham on the weekend in a very attacking mode for which Mancini is not renowned for, so expect him to play three up front with Aguero probably replacing Balotelli here. While they have goals in them, especially when playing at home, and this Ajax side, thought they beat them in the reverse game, are not that good, City do have problems in the back, and were fortunate they did not concede to West Ham. Still, expect Ajax to find holes in this defence and score a goal or two, while City are more than capable of scoring a couple of goals here as this is a must win game for them if they are to have any chance of progressing through to the next round. Real Madrid v Borussia Dortmund over 3.5 @ 2.38 pinnacle Expect Real to make up for their surprising 2-1 loss at Dortmund and be much more clinical in front of goals in their home stadium. They have scored in each of their three CL games (8 goals in total) and with Dortmund having conceded to both Real and Man City, then believe the likes of Ronaldo and so on can reverse the result against Dortmund. However a concern for Real is that they have conceded in each of their three CL games, and how easily BR were able to twice score against them. Real tend to play it open and once they get a goal then BR will look to become much more attacking and as a result can see a few goals coming in

Guys' date=' the price on City is realistic in my opinion. They are neither under, nor over-estimated. Yes, Ajax are no mugs, but they are a weak team, compared to the standards of the CL. They are playing also poor in the Eredivisie .[/quote'] I think Ajax really epitomises the difference between league and CL. They were playing poorly prior to the win against City, yet still went out and win the game quite comfortably. I don't know if you watched the game but Ajax were well worth the three points. The thing is City will always be underpriced at home to anyone because of the money they've spent and the expectation that surrounds them. Punters will lump on them purely because of the name so I don't see how the price can be described as value, or even fair.

Man City v Ajax over 3.5 @ 2.33 pinnacle Desperate times for Man City if they wish to progress from their group and expect them to go out for the win. They started with Balotelli, Tevez and Dzeko up front against West Ham on the weekend in a very attacking mode for which Mancini is not renowned for, so expect him to play three up front with Aguero probably replacing Balotelli here. While they have goals in them, especially when playing at home, and this Ajax side, thought they beat them in the reverse game, are not that good, City do have problems in the back, and were fortunate they did not concede to West Ham. Still, expect Ajax to find holes in this defence and score a goal or two, while City are more than capable of scoring a couple of goals here as this is a must win game for them if they are to have any chance of progressing through to the next round.
Blackcrow, Not opposing your bet here, but as you say City went fairly attacking against West Ham at the weekend....three strikers started the game, yet they failed to score at Upton Park. Even though Mancini will probably be fairly positive in his starting line up, it doesnt necesserily mean this City side will score the goals. In my opinion without Silva in the side, they seem to lack any sort of cutting edge. Of course Aguero was missing from the starting line up at the weekend and his introduction tonight may give them more up front, however when you look at how they have played recently, it doesnt fill me with confidence that they will bang in the goals. Even at home too Swansea a couple of weeks back it took a Tevez strike from around 25-30 yards to break the deadlock, they just don't seem to have that cutting edge in which they demonstrated last season. That could change tonight of course. Good Luck with your bet.

Re: Group D > Nov 6 (Man City, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax) MAN CITY V AJAX PREVIOUS GAME - Ajax's second goal was an error on mancini's part. Third goal was lucky. But ajax were great on the night too. They took advantage of mancini's errors. Man city also lacked pace and width, they lacked fizz. In short, they lacked David Silva. city out of form - Last season, City plundered 36 goals in their first 10 games - but over the same course, they have managed only 18 this year. west ham should have won against man city. onside goal disallowed. man c failing to score with tevez, szeko, balotelli, nasri, toure all on pitch with aguero joining at end. man c dressing room issues. manager leaving for monaco? Individuals not playing for the team? Maybe home adv will help man c get it together but I am not holding my hopes high. It may just get worse if ajax score first. INJURIES - they matter in champions league where the gap between teams is small. Defender Joleon Lescott (back) and midfielder James Milner (hamstring) are the latest additions to the casualty list after both failed to make the side against West Ham on Saturday. Right-backs Micah Richards (knee) and Maicon (foot) and midfielders David Silva and Jack Rodwell (both hamstring) are again missing, while defender Kolo Toure is not registered for the competition. With lescot out, It is likely that Matija Nastasic will start alongside Kompany at center back but with 19-year-old Nastasic still gaining experience at the top level, he will feed off of a strong performance from Kompany. I also dont see how nastasic can replace lescott, especially against cristian eriksen (lescott was all over the place in the previous meeting but I am sure a player of his calibre wouldnot have made the same mistakes twice. So nastasic here is a liability for me). ajax loss to vitesse - vitesse are no mugs. They are number 3 in the dutch league. A much better position than west ham, I am sure you would agree. Before the Ajax game, Vitesse had been staging scintillating shows week in week out. They have a brilliant record on the road, yet to drop a single point while playing away from home. They have an overall record of 10 played, 6 won, 3 drawn and 1 lost." Conclusion - City are at home. But ajax came close to getting a point in dortmund. People say its a must win game for city. Well, realistically, its a MUST NOT lose game for ajax. And I am sure ajax's best defence is attack. City might need to throw caution to the wind but De Boer has no intention of telling his side to sit back to soak up pressure. The former Holland defender said: "We are not going to throw it open but it is not our way to play defensively. We want to show the way we play at Ajax, whether it is at home or away.'' City may as well win but I think +1.25 @2.06 pinnacle is best bet. Would have taken it @1.85, will take it at over evens. Against city's defense, I think ajax will score one goal. City will need to score three to beat my bet. Not sure they can in the curret form. Will city score more than two in current form, without playmaker silva, and with having to help out at the back as well.

Re: Group D > Nov 6 (Man City, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax) Any feedback from a Dutchman, please?! We all know City too well - we watch them almost every week, so they have nothing to surprise us with. But we don't know that well Ajax and the answer to this game lies with guests and whether they have the quality/mentality to oppose City away from home. I watch Eredivisie from time to time, but don't have enough perspective to pass a judgment on Ajax. But I have a feeling that they are too poor defensively and am not sure if they could close down City well, even without David Silva (definitely a huge miss). I just get the feeling that if City scores before the 30th minute, they could beat them ugly. But if Ajax knows how to close themselves well, it would be another heavy affair for the Citizens. Hence, we need this info about Ajax defensive ability from somebody who follows them regularly. The last game I watched was against Feyenoord and Ajax were almost pathetic in the back - nearly each attack from Feyenoord was a goal-scoring opportunity. If they play the same at Etihad, they will get crushed for sure. However, it could have just been a bad day for Ajax defense, we don't know.

Any feedback from a Dutchman' date=' please?! We all know City too well - we watch them almost every week, so they have nothing to surprise us with. But we don't know that well Ajax and the answer to this game lies with guests and whether they have the quality/mentality to oppose City away from home. I watch Eredivisie from time to time, but don't have enough perspective to pass a judgment on Ajax. But I have a feeling that they are too poor defensively and am not sure if they could close down City well, even without David Silva (definitely a huge miss). I just get the feeling that if City scores before the 30th minute, they could beat them ugly. But if Ajax knows how to close themselves well, it would be another heavy affair for the Citizens. Hence, we need this info about Ajax defensive ability from somebody who follows them regularly. The last game I watched was against Feyenoord and Ajax were almost pathetic in the back - nearly each attack from Feyenoord was a goal-scoring opportunity. If they play the same at Etihad, they will get crushed for sure. However, it could have just been a bad day for Ajax defense, we don't know.[/quote'] You are right, it can be a tough day for Ajax with their defense. The defense struggles in the Eredivisie because they got pressured. If you give Ajax the ball and let them play, they can play well and pass the ball around. Ajax showed this two weeks ago against City and last year against United in the Europa League. However, I think Ajax was quite lucky in their previous match against City. City missed some big chances and Ajax did not have any more chances than those three which went in. Real Madrid showed that Ajax is very vulnerable to counter-attacks and this is an opportunity for City. If City is not afraid and plays more motivated and aggressively than two weeks ago, they can crush this Ajax. This will probably be the line-up tonight: Vermeer; Van Rhijn, Alderweireld, Moisander, Blind; De Jong, Poulsen, Schöne; Boerrigter, Eriksen, Babel. So that's one change compared to the first leg two weeks ago, Boerrigter in, Sana out but neither player is not in good form. Eriksen will again play as 'striker', however actually they will play without one, a bit like Barca with Messi. This was a surprise two weeks ago but I think Man City will be prepared for this.

Any feedback from a Dutchman' date=' please?! We all know City too well - we watch them almost every week, so they have nothing to surprise us with. But we don't know that well Ajax and the answer to this game lies with guests and whether they have the quality/mentality to oppose City away from home. I watch Eredivisie from time to time, but don't have enough perspective to pass a judgment on Ajax. But I have a feeling that they are too poor defensively and am not sure if they could close down City well, even without David Silva (definitely a huge miss). I just get the feeling that if City scores before the 30th minute, they could beat them ugly. But if Ajax knows how to close themselves well, it would be another heavy affair for the Citizens. Hence, we need this info about Ajax defensive ability from somebody who follows them regularly. The last game I watched was against Feyenoord and Ajax were almost pathetic in the back - nearly each attack from Feyenoord was a goal-scoring opportunity. If they play the same at Etihad, they will get crushed for sure. However, it could have just been a bad day for Ajax defense, we don't know.[/quote'] I think it's difficult to get an understanding of how good/bad Ajax are in Europe based on their league form. I remember watching the highlights of their 3-3 draw with Heracles before their home game against City and thinking 'Christ, City will destroy this lot!', the defending can only be described as shambolic from both sides and I was certain City wouldn't have conceded any of the 3 goals Ajax scored, as it turned out Ajax revelled in being underdogs against what is an underperforming side at European level and kept the ball far better. Their previous games in the CL at home to Real Madrid and away to Dortmund they were outplayed for the most part, but that is hardly a disgrace against two of the best sides in Europe. Ajax are certainly underachieving this season compared with last when they probably overachieved with what looked like a young squad with a couple of excellent players (Vertongen, Eriksen, De Jong too I guess), losing Vertongen seems to have impacted massively on their defence. As others have said it can be dangerous and misleading to compare domestic and CL form, but it does provide an indicator of performance. I think the general message of this thread is that City are the most likely winners, they are at home where their form is generally very good, and they are EPL champions which is no mean feat. I honestly think Mancini is worried by their lack of goals though, the common thought process when you see Tevez, Ageuro and Balotelli lining up together is that they will run a scoreline up, (you will see similar reasoning by some posters betting on a City win), it hasn't worked though and Mancini is once again failing to outmaneuver other coaches tactically in Europe and beginning to struggle in the Premiership too. Anyway, it comes down to the price and what you consider to be a good one, as Aidy said above regardless of whether City win - and I don't personally think they will win by more than a goal if at all - their price is terrible and they are being priced on the fact they are English and spent tons of money rather than recent performances in either the EPL or CL and their current injuries.

Re: Group D > Nov 6 (Man City, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax) Ajax is my team i watch every match and been following them for plus 20 years. Your question about the defense, the defense is ok for the Eredivisie but international thats another story. Goalkeeper Vermeer is the best in reflexes and one on one situations only coming out of the goal and high balls in every game he makes a mistake. Leftback Blind a lot of doubt starting the season about blind does he have enough space but against city he was one of the best players and he plays a good season so far. Right back V rhijn is a big talent but is playing like one, against feyenoord he was awfull and the next match he is playing good. Central defense Alderweireld good player is expected to be the next player thats going to engeland after vermaelen and vertonghen. Moisander new singing from Az there he was the captain is not playing at his standard lack speed is a big problem also he is not good in the air. So the bet i saw aguero to score looks good. You were right to say if city scores in the first 30 min i think this could be painfull for ajax, but if they can score first or keep the score line 0-0 till 60 min they have a chance. F de boer probarly will make one change boerrigter instead of sana as right winger. but both of them lack form.

Re: Group D > Nov 6 (Man City, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax) My view on Manchester City is they struggle against sides that play a certain type of football. If you look at the 3 games they struggled in October (vs Swansea, Ajax and Dortmund) the opposition had more possesion than them - and 2 of those games were even at home! City can only dominate their opponents when they have the ball and against sides like the 3 i mentioned above who will come out, play decent attacking football and have a go at City i think they will struggle. If Ajax are gonna come here to sit back and play on the counter and hope to nick a result they will get beat, because City will have the quality to score against their defence. However if they have a go at City play some decent football of their own then they will make the odds look ridiculous. I can personally see them getting a result, particularly with the players City have out and even the ones that are still fit arnt playing to their ability. But has to be a no bet for me as i dont see any real value...

Re: Group D > Nov 6 (Man City, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax) Real Madrid vs Borrusia Dortmund Dortmund to win @7.0 and better. Over 2,5 goals @1,45 over 3,5 goals @2,1 Reus to score @4,15 Higuain to score @2,0 Real has big problems in defense. This was evident the last weeks and espacially in Dortmund. Dortmund will love this game as they can defend and go fast on the break at a real madrid team that is weak with opponents who go fast into offense from the ball-win. This is the game that Dortmund loves. Beeing underdog and countering on the break. I can see a similar game like the one in Dortmund a fortnight ago. Without Khedira Real lacks the working horse in the midfield. Real will be very motivated to go forward to get revenge for the loss. While this can work out with the players in their offense its what Dortmund is waiting for. Marco Reus is a clinical player infront of goal and he will give Real many problems in their shaky defense. Ronaldo looks very sharp and again in 100% top form. With the attacking talent in both sides and the how the game is layed out with motivation I can see some goals here. Dortmund has not much to loose and wont settle for a low loss or anything. While Real will go all out guns blazing to get an early goal while never beeing satisfied with a draw. I got the impression that both teams were not at their best at the weekend having this game in mind. It will be agreat game to enjoy and a dortmund win wouldnt be that surprising.

I think it's difficult to get an understanding of how good/bad Ajax are in Europe based on their league form. I remember watching the highlights of their 3-3 draw with Heracles before their home game against City and thinking 'Christ, City will destroy this lot!', the defending can only be described as shambolic from both sides and I was certain City wouldn't have conceded any of the 3 goals Ajax scored, as it turned out Ajax revelled in being underdogs against what is an underperforming side at European level and kept the ball far better. Their previous games in the CL at home to Real Madrid and away to Dortmund they were outplayed for the most part, but that is hardly a disgrace against two of the best sides in Europe. Ajax are certainly underachieving this season compared with last when they probably overachieved with what looked like a young squad with a couple of excellent players (Vertongen, Eriksen, De Jong too I guess), losing Vertongen seems to have impacted massively on their defence. As others have said it can be dangerous and misleading to compare domestic and CL form, but it does provide an indicator of performance. I think the general message of this thread is that City are the most likely winners, they are at home where their form is generally very good, and they are EPL champions which is no mean feat. I honestly think Mancini is worried by their lack of goals though, the common thought process when you see Tevez, Ageuro and Balotelli lining up together is that they will run a scoreline up, (you will see similar reasoning by some posters betting on a City win), it hasn't worked though and Mancini is once again failing to outmaneuver other coaches tactically in Europe and beginning to struggle in the Premiership too. Anyway, it comes down to the price and what you consider to be a good one, as Aidy said above regardless of whether City win - and I don't personally think they will win by more than a goal if at all - their price is terrible and they are being priced on the fact they are English and spent tons of money rather than recent performances in either the EPL or CL and their current injuries.
I agree with all the arguments above that best value lies with handicap for Ajax. However, I get this ugly weird feeling that the chances of City failing this one are as big as their chances of winning big, while in theory they should be negatively correlated. And the price for City handicap is not that bad at all. For me, if City finds the right gear, they will beat them with a handicap.But if they play the typical Mancini's type of game - "start slow, be cautious and waste the first 60th minutes before you begin to attack full-scale only in the last 30", then City will be in trouble. My final choice is to bet live here.

Re: Group D > Nov 6 (Man City, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax) Real Madrid v Dortmund Madrid -1 Handicap @ 6/5 Bet365 Over 3.5 Goals @ 5/4 Sportingbet Whilst Dortmund have given a very good account of themselves in this group so far, they could face an entirely new proposition at the Bernabeu tonight. Whilst they did manage the win back home in Dortmund, Real at home are extremely tough to beat and the only team that has managed a win in recent times at the Bernabeu is the best team in the world Barca. I think this will be the turning point in this group where Real will assert themselves and show they are the best team in this group and I expect a confident win from the Madrid stars. Whilst I do expect Dortmund to put some pressure on madrid and maybe get a goal or 2 themselves I expect Madrid to be too strong for the Germans so the -1 looks good value to me here and the over 3.5 Goals. I was also going to back Ronaldo to score 2 or more but the 2/1 on offer is just not good enough for me so going to leave that one tonight but could be a big showing from the Portuguese hitman.

Re: Group D > Nov 6 (Man City, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax) *Ajax +1 Asian Handicap @ 16/11 Pinnacle* I think this smacks of value. City have struggled in the champions league now for two years. No Silva tonight which is a huge loss, their form has been poor, they have been playing poorly in the league, they have struggled for goals in recent games against Swansea and West Ham. I am not convinced by Nastasic as a defender, Garcia has been poor when i have seen him, Barry is not fully sharp. Mancini does not get on with his players, another argument with Balotelli today. Ajax beat them convincingly at home. That was a surprise to most people. City deserved favourites but are a ridiculous price. This should be a tight affair, as City are not the only ones that have to win, Ajax do also. Should be a good game!

*Ajax +1 Asian Handicap @ 16/11 Pinnacle* I think this smacks of value. City have struggled in the champions league now for two years. No Silva tonight which is a huge loss, their form has been poor, they have been playing poorly in the league, they have struggled for goals in recent games against Swansea and West Ham. I am not convinced by Nastasic as a defender, Garcia has been poor when i have seen him, Barry is not fully sharp. Mancini does not get on with his players, another argument with Balotelli today. Ajax beat them convincingly at home. That was a surprise to most people. City deserved favourites but are a ridiculous price. This should be a tight affair, as City are not the only ones that have to win, Ajax do also. Should be a good game!
:beer

MAN CITY V AJAX PREVIOUS GAME - Ajax's second goal was an error on mancini's part. Third goal was lucky. But ajax were great on the night too. They took advantage of mancini's errors. Man city also lacked pace and width, they lacked fizz. In short, they lacked David Silva. city out of form - Last season, City plundered 36 goals in their first 10 games - but over the same course, they have managed only 18 this year. west ham should have won against man city. onside goal disallowed. man c failing to score with tevez, szeko, balotelli, nasri, toure all on pitch with aguero joining at end. man c dressing room issues. manager leaving for monaco? Individuals not playing for the team? Maybe home adv will help man c get it together but I am not holding my hopes high. It may just get worse if ajax score first. INJURIES - they matter in champions league where the gap between teams is small. Defender Joleon Lescott (back) and midfielder James Milner (hamstring) are the latest additions to the casualty list after both failed to make the side against West Ham on Saturday. Right-backs Micah Richards (knee) and Maicon (foot) and midfielders David Silva and Jack Rodwell (both hamstring) are again missing, while defender Kolo Toure is not registered for the competition. With lescot out, It is likely that Matija Nastasic will start alongside Kompany at center back but with 19-year-old Nastasic still gaining experience at the top level, he will feed off of a strong performance from Kompany. I also dont see how nastasic can replace lescott, especially against cristian eriksen (lescott was all over the place in the previous meeting but I am sure a player of his calibre wouldnot have made the same mistakes twice. So nastasic here is a liability for me). ajax loss to vitesse - vitesse are no mugs. They are number 3 in the dutch league. A much better position than west ham, I am sure you would agree. Before the Ajax game, Vitesse had been staging scintillating shows week in week out. They have a brilliant record on the road, yet to drop a single point while playing away from home. They have an overall record of 10 played, 6 won, 3 drawn and 1 lost." Conclusion - City are at home. But ajax came close to getting a point in dortmund. People say its a must win game for city. Well, realistically, its a MUST NOT lose game for ajax. And I am sure ajax's best defence is attack. City might need to throw caution to the wind but De Boer has no intention of telling his side to sit back to soak up pressure. The former Holland defender said: "We are not going to throw it open but it is not our way to play defensively. We want to show the way we play at Ajax, whether it is at home or away.'' City may as well win but I think +1.25 @2.06 pinnacle is best bet. Would have taken it @1.85, will take it at over evens. Against city's defense, I think ajax will score one goal. City will need to score three to beat my bet. Not sure they can in the curret form. Will city score more than two in current form, without playmaker silva, and with having to help out at the back as well.
:cigar

Do City merit being this short? Yes it's a must win and they have the home support, but what indications is there that they should win here? Last season they drew with Napoli, beat Villarreal with the last kick of the ball and beat a weak Bayern side who had already qualified, still going out. Add into that a 1-1 draw with Dortmund this season and its not convincing reason. Fair enough they now have that experience under their belt but I'm not sure they merit these odds after the smashing they recieved 2 weeks ago against this Ajax side, and also considering their team absentees. Maicon, Lescott, Milner, Silva and Rodwell should all sit out. Ajax could rename the same team which brushed aside City last time. I wouldn't be surprised if City did manage to win here but I wouldn't want to risk cash on, at best, a 1.45 shot. If I do bet it will be on the draw at 5.00 with BetFred.
:nana

Re: Group D > Nov 6 (Man City, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax) Yeh, thanks HastGill for saving me some money, and all others who believed Ajax will get a result here. Your picks and predictions really make me confident when to take or when to skip a game. Keep up the good work!