Racing For Rupert

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert Sister Guru didn't go into the stalls. Shame that I couldn't test my luck with a 33/1 shot but at least it wouldn't have slightly tarnished the day! Jumps: Bets: 252 Wins: 32 Placed: 66 Pts Staked: 417pts Pts Returned: 432pts P/L: +15pts Flat: Bets: 114 Wins: 13 Placed: 24 Pts Staked: 177pts Pts Returned: 187pts P/L: +10pts The stats prove that I've had a lean spell of late but today can hopefully be a springboard. Into profit and a confidence-booster ahead of Royal Ascot. Hopefully I can nail that unlike Cheltenham and Aintree this year! Cheers for the comments guys, much appreciated as they always are (good or bad!) :ok

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert Should probably call it a day there! The show must, however, go on... 2.20 Salisbury - 3pts win Villoresi @ 5/2 (PP) The favourite here has to be respected but I personally wasn't too taken by his win last time as although he was in control to score by 3/4l, he didn't look the easiest (flashed tail, perhaps idled) and anyway I think James Fanshawe's runner can beat him even if he does iron out those concerns. This son of Clodovil didn't face much on debut at Kempton but overcame greenness to run out an easy 6l winner over 1m2f and ran over the same distance at Leicester when last seen on his first run of 2013. However, that contest was dominated by those at the head of the pack and it proved difficult to come off the pace. The winner made all, the runner-up chased the winner throughout and the 3rd and 5th were also handy so the effort to work my selection into 4th was a good one. He was going on strongly at the finish and was a lot better than the actual result suggests. The extra 2f looks sure to be up his street and I think he'll overturn the favourite this afternoon.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 2.50 Salisbury - 1pt e/w Rebecca Romero @ 10/1 (Ladbrokes) To me the favourite looks too short and although Richard Hughes deserts my selection to ride the second favourite, he essentially makes that runner 5lbs higher than what he's been running off lately given the regular 5lb claimer is replaced today. Although he may be able to squeeze a bit more out than his previous rider, it may be that he'll have a little too much to do at the weights. In looking at this race I can see quite a lot of pace likely and for that reason I'm quite sweet on the chances of Dennis Coakley's runner. She's quite a frustrating but likeable type at the same time. She regularly finishes her races off well so you think she may win next time but just does the same again (not quite enough to get up). She's not been beaten further than 2 3/4l in her last 11 starts which shows his consistent she is and for this reason I think she makes appeal each-way at 10/1. She ran a little flat last time at Sandown behind a couple of these but her run when hampered two starts back is strong and I think she may well get a stronger pace to run off this afternoon. She's not a horse I like backing at short prices but am happy to get involved today with conditions to suit, a more than capable James Doyle deputising in the saddle and at a double-figure price.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 4.40 Doncaster - 3pts win Mississippi @ 11/4 (PP) David Barron's runner makes it two relatively short priced bets for me today but is another confident selection. I think this horse suffered from winning readily over a mile at Kempton to get off the mark as this made connections believe he wasn't a sprinter (and also gave him a high mark) but his pedigree consists largely of speed (by Exceed and Excel and out of a 100+ rated 6f mare) and a lot of his runs over a mile and 7f last season suggested he needed a step back in distance. He joined Barron prior to the 2013 season and has shaped well on both starts for his new trainer who can improve one. He's understandably brought him back down in trip after travelling fairly well before folding on his seasonal return over 7f at Newcastle (needing the run also) and he ran a stormer when beaten a neck over this c&d 12 days ago. It was a good race (front pair were 2 1/2l clear of the third) and although he's gone up in the weights as a result there looks more to come and I'm hopeful he won't be vulnerable at the end of the race as this doesn't look like it'll be run at a furious gallop. Because of this, I think he'll take a lot of beating under these conditions again.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 3.15 Carlisle - 3pts win Who's Shirl @ 9/2 (Sportingbet) Although Chris Fairhurst's charge charge has gone up 5lbs since winning at Pontefract, she still now only runs off 70 and that allows her to still compete in a 0-70 affair so although she has to saddle top-weight of 10st this afternoon, this race looks no better (actually worse) than the race she won in Yorkshire 10 days ago and her chance is increased by the fact she's a past winner off a mark of 78 as well as a 3l victor off the same mark as this afternoon. She goes best on a sound surface and her run style is one that means a stiff finish sees her at her best. This track should suit in that regard and she's run well here before (3rd and 5th with the latter holding obvious excuses). Paul Mulrennan keeps the ride and has ridden her three times all in all. He's got a 1st, a neck 2nd and a half-decent 7th on a seasonal reappearance as a record on the mare so that's a plus and she carried 9-10 to victory last time. She's well-drawn and I really think she will take a bit of beating this afternoon.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 7.35 Windsor - 1pt win Novellen Lad @ 20/1 (PP) I've backed Willie Musson's runner quite a few times in the past and I do feel he represents better than a 20/1 chance in this open race where the favourites can be backed at 5/1. He's a horse who loves quick ground so the dry recent weather is much in his favour so long as there isn't any rain today to scupper his chances. All six of his turf wins have come on good to firm and three of those have come off higher marks than he runs off this evening. He's been beaten less than 2 lengths on two of the three runs he's had at this track (off marks of 89 and 88 - the former coming on too soft ground) and had obvious excuses when running here on his recent seasonal appearance. He wasn't given a hard time at all but came home well-held. However, not much got too involved from the rear and he wasn't hit with the whip by J-P Guillambert. That was probably no more than a pipe-opener so if he does improve plenty for it then I think he can go well with conditions to suit him. He's off a good mark and the course, trip and ground are right so it's his wellbeing which is the only real concern. However, on his only other lengthy break since he's been with Musson, he was beaten into 17th of 24 prior to winning a good handicap next time out off 5lbs higher than today. Hopefully the dose can be repeated this evening.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 8.50 Warwick - 2pts win Accession @ 7/2 (Hills) Posted this prior to last time out:

2.35 Goodwood - 1pt win Accession @ 10/1 (Ladbrokes) Clive Cox has his string in good order and although his runner here has been a little bit frustrating, there's a prize in him and I feel it could be today given he's worked himself back down to a decent mark and runs in the the lowest grade of his career since winning a Newbury maiden. This 0-85 contest should make things a bit easier for him and he can be excused for not landing a gamble over this c&d last time out. He was a bit slowly away and had to be rousted up to chase the pace - which was especially hot. Ultimately those who sensibly sat off the gallop swept through inside the final couple of furlongs and this fella could only finish 8th. The effort can be upgraded a little for those reasons as well and you only have to look at his reappearance run in the Newbury Spring Cup to see that he brings good recent form to the table. The bit of rain we had could improve his chances a little as well (good to soft could be ideal) and Adam Kirby takes the ride for the first time in about a year. He was on board for both of his wins and also got a fine tune out of him when he last rode the horse off 95 in a hot handicap won by Mince. The blinkers go on for the second time in his career but it's difficult to gauge how that'll go as it was inconclusive when he wore them in a valuable race on soft ground last July at Newmarket. I doubt they'll do him any harm and now fingers crossed the drop in weights and grade, the return of Adam Kirby, and hopefully learnt lessons from last time out, he can go very well this afternoon.
He simply never saw daylight on this occasion. Kirby went for the daring rail run at Goodwood (which I'm not a fan of as horses regularly win down the outside) and ended up with the door slammed in his face. I think he'd have gone close as he looked to have plenty left in the tank when he finally got some room and came home under tender riding when the race had gone. Is down another pound now and in the same grade, albeit in a race with less depth in my eyes. Is a shorter price but William Buick takes the ride and the blinkers are kept on. Deserves to get things to go his way and I think he ought to go very well this evening.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 2.30 Ascot - 1pt e/w Elusive Kate @ 15/2 (Sportingbet) It may be that the favourite for this proves too strong but at the prices I think John Gosden's filly has a massive chance of getting involved and I'd be disappointed if she doesn't make the frame - even if Animal Kingdom proves too good. Although she hasn't run yet this season she went well fresh last season (arguably on ground too soft as well) and conditions will suit her today. A stiffish mile on a sound surface looks ideal and she's usually consistent. Some of these challengers have to prove themselves at the top level but this filly is a Group 1 winner amongst her own sex and was only beaten 1 1/2l by Excelebration last season (beat Moonlight Cloud). Needs to resume at her best at 4 to play a part here but I see no reason why she can't and should give the favourite something to think about at least.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 3.05 Ascot - 1pt win Pearl Secret @ 12/1 (Bet365) Posted this before intended run at Haydock:

2.35 Newmarket - 2pts win Pearl Secret @ 11/2 (Bet365) Jamie Spencer opts to side with this one of the consistent Spirit Quartz which says a lot and I think he has a huge chance as he's unexposed and ran some fine races last season. He was only beaten once, which came on his final start in the Nunthorpe. He was not ideally positioned on the track and didn't have the clearest of passages and he should have learned from that experience in a hot race. Won easily, albeit in a weak maiden on his return last season and if ready to go should go close today.
Didn't run here in the end but presumably will be ready to go to be thrown straight in here. Spencer again sides with him ahead of the consistent and high-class Spirit Quartz and there does look more to come. Was right in amongst Bated Breath and Sole Power in the Nunthorpe when on the wrong side and with improvement likely with experience I think he can put up a bold show this afternoon.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 4.25 Ascot - 3pts win Stubbs @ 100/30 (Sportingbet) Aidan O'Brien looks to have a strong hand in this and I'm really keen on the favourite for the contest (albeit a bit boring). He's quite short in a race like this but built on his debut promise to win well the last twice and has plenty of substance to the form. Was a 4 1/4l victor on his second start over 5f and his listed victory over 6f last time was decent and the way he stretched under pressure bodes well for this stiffer test. It really shouldn't be an issue whatsoever given his pedigree (bodes well for next year) as there's plenty of stamina in there so he should only improve given how strong he was at the finish at Naas. There he beat a Hannon horse who has form linked in with some of the better 2yos that the UK has had to offer this season so collateral form looks good and for top connections I think he'll take this.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 5.00 Ascot - 1pt win Suraj @ 28/1 (Bet365) and 2pts win Tiger Cliff @ 11/2 (VC) Michael Bell's runner disappointed a bit over hurdles as I thought he'd be a really useful juvenile but he does look a galloper and his return to the flat in the Chester Cup wasn't devoid of promise. He wasn't well positioned after a poor draw and could only make up some late progress from the rear. Last season he easily won a Doncaster maiden over 1m4f on ground that probably was on the soft side for him (just outclassed the field) and then ran adequately over further (including another win over the Leger trip at the Yorkshire track). To me he just looks a stayer and good ground seems ideal for him. His pedigree would give him a decent chance of staying and he looks a big price with Spencer aboard. Tiger Cliff won a competitive Newmarket handicap last time over 1m6f - staying on strongly - and looks like he'll have a really good chance of getting home over this marathon 2m4f trip. That was his first run of the season, too, so plausibly could come on for it and remains lightly-raced. Is 6lbs higher today but on only his sixth run and upped in trip which will suit him more than others, I think he has a big chance of coping with the hike in the weights. Wants decent ground so that suits too and represents Lady Cecil who has had a cracking spell on the track having taken over the license after the saddening death of Sir Henry. Don't see too many holes in his chance at all and I'd be surprised if he isn't bang on the premises.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 5.35 Ascot - 1pt win Sleeper King @ 16/1 (VC) Kevin Ryan's runner looks to have plenty of potential and I think he's got the ideal combination of speed and stamina for the 5f at Ascot in what's likely to be run at a good test. He shaped well over 6f on soft ground at York on debut when only fading late on, but on pedigree it looks like he'd want it quicker and stepped back down to 5f when landing a good race at Musselburgh. Showed plenty of speed to travel well there but stayed on well to be on top come the line and although worse off at the weights with the runner-up there today I think a testing 5f could be right up his street on a sound surface. He has the toe to hold a good position and found nicely off the bridle at the Scottish track last time out. Likely to come on again for that run and the form of his York debut has just been boosted by Parbold in the Coventry (my selection beaten 1 1/2l by that one).

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 2.30 Ascot - 2pts win Montiridge @ 11/2 (Bet365) Richard Hannon's runner hasn't been out of the first three in his five starts (winning three) and has had excuses when he has been beaten. He got the scalp of the now 111-rated Baltic Knight last season - form that gives him a big chance in this - and was probably just outstayed when held by Trading Leather at Newmarket (pair clear, field included Glory Awaits and Galileo Rock). The winner has run very well since including an easy listed when last time out so I really think Richard Hughes' mount has a lot of strong form in the book. Disappointed on his seasonal debut when 3rd at Windsor (effort flattened out) but he'll have needed that and it wasn't exactly a bad effort. Put that behind him when readily scoring last time at Sandown (albeit had run of it) and although that came at a mile I think a strongly-run 7f is what he wants ideally. Conditions look right up his street today and although technically Gale Force Ten may hold him on Trading Leather form, the drop back to 7f will be more in the favour of Hannon's charge in my opinion and he'll take the beating here for me.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 3.45 Ascot - 3pts win Al Kazeem @ 11/4 (Bet365) Camelot's always been a horse that I've been content taking on at the top level and I'm always sceptical of French form so Maxios is left by me also. I love The Fugue and conditions are prime for her but her form so far suggests she needs to step up to take this. On balance I think the price of Roger Charlton's runner isn't bad at all considering he fairly and squarely held the Coolmore raider over in Ireland last time out. Prior to that he was a decent winner on these shores and would have needed that for all he goes well fresh (was off for almost a year). He seems to be better than ever (for all his old form is strong - Green Destiny who narrowly beat him a couple of years ago subsequently ran very well in a top class Champion Stakes here. Conditions suit and he has an ideal combination of speed and stamina. Most likely winner for me and 11/4 is fair.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 4.25 Ascot - 1pt win Stirring Ballad @ 11/1 (Bet365) and 1pt win Winter's Night @ 40/1 (Bet365) A tremendous race but often a nightmare to solve but with double-figure prices the field there'll be a decent return if you find the winner and I've got a couple that interest me from both ends of the market. John Gosden's Stirring Ballad still has more to offer having been progressive through last season and this. She took time to find her stride, opening her account in a Folkestone maiden at the fourth time of asking but hasn't looked back to reach a mark of 97 (won three handicaps in a row after her maiden success). She possesses a strong finish to her races so a strongly-run straight mile like this should play to her strengths. She ran more than adequately on her seasonal return at Kempton over 7f and again put her best foot forward when runner-up to Lily's Angel in a listed contest (that one rated 106 and has gone well since). She was finishing well but given she runs off 97 today she just had too much to find at the weights. Last time out she ran okay again in listed company at Goodwood but the race wasn't run to suit at all as they didn't go a real gallop and she could only stay on without the devastating burst that she often delivers. Wasn't beaten far and again she holds a good chance at the weights on that. They'll certainly go quick enough for her today and she ought to be staying on. I just hope she's not on the wrong side. The draw is also a possible concern for Clive Cox's runner but the bias can switch at Ascot and it's probably more to do with pace than the ground. For all she's been off for over a year she still represents a touch of value at 40/1 in my eyes. She's fairly lightly-raced with 10 runs under her belt and her form at Ascot reads very well. Twice a winner over 7f, she was 3rd in the Sandringham in 2011 (winner 17lbs higher now and runner-up went close after off 6lbs higher). My selection is essentially 4lbs lower today with Ryan Tate's claim and she followed that up with a somewhat unfortunate 3rd over c&d again behind Sooraah and Primevere (reads well). Was beaten a length despite being short of room and them not going particularly quick. Was off for 10 months when runner-up in a listed race at Goodwood last May (winner gone well in Group 3s since) and she was the ready winner of an Ascot handicap on her other seasonal reappearance. When last seen she competed in an Irish Group 3 but was in at the deep end there (115-rated winner, now 105-rated runner-up who's gone well since, 109-rated third). Ran okay but was just not quite good enough to get involved. Returns under optimum conditions this afternoon off a fair mark (with rider's claim) and has gone well fresh. Okay a year is a long time to be absent but she's got strong form and at 40/1 is worth chancing.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 5.00 Ascot - 2pts win Rizeena @ 7/1 (Bet365) I was quite impressed with Beldale Memory at York last time but on substance of form and ground suitability I think Clive Brittain's charge has a stonking chance at 7/1. She's potentially well drawn in 16 and can't be faulted on what she's done on a racecourse so far. She was a huge eyecatcher in a good maiden on debut behind Fire Blaze when green but staying on strongly at the finish and she's shown a more professional attitude when scoring the last twice. She comfortably held Oriel here next time and although that one didn't have the benefit of experience, she looked forward enough and I'd expect my selection to frank the form. That form does look good, however, and I liked the way she stayed on strongly in the closing stages. She will stay 6f which can suit in this sort of race but still possesses the pace to hold a position through this contest. She made all at Sandown last time - running out a 3l winner - and the runner-up was not disgraced when beaten 4 1/4l in the Windsor Castle yesterday. The 3rd and 4th also brought good form to the table so considering the horses she's beaten, the fact that conditions will suit and she's got the very capable James Doyle on board, I think she'll be bang there at the finish.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 5.35 Ascot - 2pts win Mango Diva @ 7/1 (Bet365) I'll be doubly hoping for a victory from Montiridge in the opener for the reason that he finished ahead of my selection here at Sandown last time out and whilst not discrediting the winner's performance, he did have the run of it. My selection here was 6l clear of the third (albeit held 3+ lengths by winner) but it wasn't a bad listed race considering there were only four runners. A mark of 94 looks within her compass on that evidence in my eyes and prior to that run she was a good (and close) 2nd to Hot Snap on debut and that filly is obviously smart despite disappointing a bit in the 1000 Guineas. Sir Michael Stoute's horses often come on for their debut and she made no mistake back over the mile at Kempton on her seasonal return this year. She finished strongly to be two lengths clear at the line. The runner-up there has comfortably won next time and they were quite nicely stretched out on the polytrack that day. Will benefit from the less tactical, stronger galloping mile this afternoon and on pedigree the quicker ground than the Sandown race can also suit. Has a big chance with the superb and in-form Ryan Moore on board.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert Very happy to bag a couple of festival winners! However, could have been a bumper day had Montiridge not been outstayed in the last 50 yards. That would have been an excellent day but two James Doyle powerful finishes got us two decent winners with Al Kazeem and the impressive Rizeena. Don't want to talk about Stirring Ballad. Head in hands from Hughes. Switches from the far side, ends up on the near rail, absolutely nowhere to go despite having lots in the tank. Painful. Winter's Night ran really well up the centre considering her absence.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 2.30 Ascot - 1pt win Coulsty @ 7/1 (Bet365) Coach House looks good but 2/1 is on the short side for me and the once-raced Hannon and Fahey runners make appeal to me. Both were impressive on their respective debuts but Hannon has a fine record in these type of races at Royal Ascot and they can get a winner here after a frustrating start to the week. He couldn't have been much more impressive at Leicester - travelling well on the front end before quickening smartly away and going further and further on at the finish. Has an ideal combination of speed and the ability to stay on strongly (will get further) which I like at Ascot and his dam's side of his pedigree suggests he'll be finishing strongly. Has plenty of toe to hold a position, though, and I can't see him out of the mix having won so well in a maiden that has seen some winners come out of it. Coach House had the run of the race when easily winning his second start (runner-up green and behind, ground possibly too soft, winner got soft lead) and the leaders perhaps went off a bit quick last time which played into his hands. Far from saying he doesn't have a huge chance but at the prices I prefer the Hannon charge.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 3.05 Ascot - 4pts win Alive Alive Oh @ 9/4 (Bet365) Big bet for me on Tommy Stack's runner as I simply think she's a cut above these. She's the joint highest rated in the field with a horse who looks like they might struggle to stay and this filly should have no problem with the step up in trip. She was 3rd to Magician on debut last season before running out an easy winner on both starts in 2013. She left an albeit average maiden field for dead on her seasonal reappearance - travelling beautifully, quickening well and galloping on strongly. Stepped up to listed company and she put in another impressive performance. She smashed a Group 3 winner there and a listed 3rd. Although this is another step up the ladder she looks extremely classy and the extra 2f should be no issue at all. She looks a class act and there's plenty of stamina in her pedigree so I think she'll take the world of beating today.