** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Ante post betting question/Discussion - Is Ante Post Betting Worth Bothering With?

Re: Punter's Lounge Confessional - Aspects I Must Improve - Making it pay in 2013!! I do think ante post betting is becoming increasingly pointless, aside from Cheltenham though when it's a long way off and there are numerous trial races in between. The Hennessy recently was a joke ante post, by the time the day came the favourites were the same price, or even bigger than a week or two before and bookies were offering much better EW terms on the day. This has happened for a lot of the big handicaps and Graded races so far. As I said the Festival is different though. I do think there are a lot of good opportunities but you need to understand the calendar fully and horses/trainer targets to make the most out of it imo

Re: Punter's Lounge Confessional - Aspects I Must Improve - Making it pay in 2013!! For me, it's not doing ante-post any more. Have done it mainly for the Cheltenham Festival in the past and overall it's not paid off eg Grands Crus in the RSA Chase this year was one of my bets and Time for Rupert in the RSA Chase in 2011 was another. My best ante-post bet was probably the one on Frankel for the 2,000 Guineas - got 9/4 on him in September 2010 - he was 1/2F on the day.

Re: Punter's Lounge Confessional - Aspects I Must Improve - Making it pay in 2013!! Ante post betting is my down fall and until recently keeping records. Have started to keep records of all bets and found when checking that I have backed 8 different horses over the last six months for the Gold Cup next year! Only one I am happy with and consider value is Silviniaco Conti at 33\1 but going to show a big loss on that race alone unless that bolts in. Think this has happened because i have a winner, then look to invest the winnings in future races. Bobs Worth was another bad ante post bet for the Hennessy 3\1 with a run with PP and could have got better odds the night before and on the day. On a daily basis my biggest problem is placing bets for the sake of it on low grade racing (really struggle with the AW) and having a bet so that when i check the results I can see if I had a winner, dumb or what! Also like to do multiple bets on all my selections for the day, but this never pays, should stick to doubles as max. Sucker for the big pay out for small stakes but have yet to come up trumps. Usually have to top up my betting accounts every 3 months and when i look back at results it is multiples that cause a drain on balances. Betting is fun to me and only play small stakes but silly bets are costing me, discipline is my problem. Hopefully curb this rashness in 2013. Single bets and no ante-post betting would be a big improvement on this years betting and would probably mean that I would not have to top up the betting accounts P.S Have always followed racing but only started betting for the last 18 months. Love the forum loads of valuable information available on betting strategy and techniques. Thanks Guys.