** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

West Ham v Villa Saturday 18th August 2012

• 3 weeks later...

Re: West Ham v Villa Saturday 18th August 2012 After all my weeks of studying and deliberating, i think my only bet on Day 1 of the premier league will be going on West Ham. They may have come up through the play-offs, but i genuinely feel they will have a bit too much for Villa at home on the opening day of the season where the home fans and players will be pumped to the max, and will feel in order to get their goal of promotion started, they will have to start the season brightly, and they know they will also have to be dogged and get results at home, as getting results away from home in the premier league can be extremely tough. The Hammers are beginning to get warmed up for the new season after a 2-1 win against Colchester yesterday. Kevin Nolan went off with a toe injury, so we will have to see how he fares out and see if he gets back in time. The chairman and management are still negotiating more transfers, and they may well see a couple of new faces in the team come August 18th. Sam Allardyce knows the Premier League inside out, and one thing he normally has is a ood home record, as we saw when Blackburn were a tough side at home when he was in charge there. Carlton Cole is going to be a huge player for the hammers this season, he is a premiership player, and will be very eager to stay where he belongs this time. The team morale should be very high after beating Blackpool in the play-off final at Wembley, there will be no motivating these players. Paul Lambert may well prove to be a good manager for Villa, but in my opinion he will need time to settle in and find his feet. The Villa had a very poor season last year, but their style of play should change this season with Mr Boring McLeish gone out the door, and we should see a more attack-minded (Norwich-style) game from Villa this year. However, playing this way, and Lambert's way, normally means you concede goals, and are dodgy at the back. Very worringly for Villa, Agbonlahor may be out for a while with a knee injury. If he is missing for this game, it will be a huge blow for Villa. I normally don't bet on the first day of the season, but i genuinely think West Ham are a great bet for this match. West Ham have signed a player with a lot of potential in Modibo Maiga, who they bought from Sochaux. He has been described as being potentially the "next Kanoute", and if this turns out to be true, he should have a very productive season for the hammers. I think the Hammers are going to win this match, so a nice bet shall be placed on them. *West Ham - 10 Points WIN @ 11/8 VC*

Re: West Ham v Villa Saturday 18th August 2012

Well for once there is something we both agree on Aidy :) Nice analysis, I also have a bet on them though it is part of a 10fold accumulator on the first round of games (no chance I will win it but if I get lucky it's a £50k payday lol). Soon as I saw that Agbonlahor wouldn't be able to play I though, well West Ham will be absolutely rubbing their hands here. Potentially a big win for them too to get their season off to a good start, 11/8 seems excellent value at the moment.
Well i took the 11/8 in hope they go off 11/10 on match-day, i can't see them getting any bigger, if they do i may bet again. I feel Villa will take a bit of time to adjust to Lambert's philosophy. Rome wasn't built in a day, and that can play into West Ham's hands, especially at home i feel, under a shrewd manager.

Well i took the 11/8 in hope they go off 11/10 on match-day' date=' i can't see them getting any bigger, if they do i may bet again. I feel Villa will take a bit of time to adjust to Lambert's philosophy. Rome wasn't built in a day, and that can play into West Ham's hands, especially at home i feel, under a shrewd manager.[/quote'] The worst thing about West Ham last year was their negative attitude and their negative tactics. The fans are not in love with Big Sam despite the promotion. They spent most of the season playing with one up front.... It was only when Reading and Saints pulled clear of them that they seemed to relax and played 2 up top. A complete transformation and they pissed their last few games and waltzed through the play-offs like a different team. Now I'm not saying West Ham won't win, Villa were AWFUL last season but your biggest danger will be if SA reverts to his preferred game and doesn't let the team play. 10 games in, I could easily call this 0-0. Hopefully the first game back will be enough for WH. Nolan would be a massive miss by the way... And CC only pulled his finger out once Premiership was in sight. He was very poor a lot of last season. Good Luck with it.

The worst thing about West Ham last year was their negative attitude and their negative tactics. The fans are not in love with Big Sam despite the promotion. They spent most of the season playing with one up front.... It was only when Reading and Saints pulled clear of them that they seemed to relax and played 2 up top. A complete transformation and they pissed their last few games and waltzed through the play-offs like a different team. Now I'm not saying West Ham won't win, Villa were AWFUL last season but your biggest danger will be if SA reverts to his preferred game and doesn't let the team play. 10 games in, I could easily call this 0-0. Hopefully the first game back will be enough for WH. Nolan would be a massive miss by the way... And CC only pulled his finger out once Premiership was in sight. He was very poor a lot of last season. Good Luck with it.
Nah, they will be playing 2 up top mate. That is why they bought Maiga, and they aren't going to drop Cole. Cole was poor last year, but no doubting the ability he has. I do agree, SA has to take this by the scruff of the neck, but i think last season has nothing to do with this season anymore, different circumstances, and traditionally the team who comes up through the play-offs tend to perform better than the 2 teams that got straight promotion. I personally think West Ham have plenty to beat this Villa side on the opening day, give Lambert 10 games in charge and i may have a different outlook though.

• 2 weeks later...

Soon as I saw that Agbonlahor wouldn't be able to play I though' date=' well West Ham will be absolutely rubbing their hands here.[/quote'] I would imagine they would have an opposite to reaction to that to be honest... Agbonlahor scored about 2 goals in the last 20 games of the season. I went to Ipswich v West Ham on the weekend, and I know it was only a friendly but West Ham were terrible. Allardyce is so determined to have big players all over the park that he still insists on playing Cole on the left wing. Having said that, West Ham possess no decent wingers in their squad anyway. Vaz Te, perhaps, but I am not at all convinced he can cut it in the PL. They are a long ball side with an average squad. They will probably have a new partnership at CB (Collins and Reid/Tomkins) and they have lost a very good GK in Green. Maiga needs time to settle and otherwise they have an average strikeforce. They have a good midfield, but considering Allardyce's tactics tend to involve hoofing the ball from defence to striker and bypassing the midfield, I don't see them having too much of a bearing on the game. Noble is the only creative midfielder they have and he is another who doesn't convince me. Lambert is a very good manager. He has made some good signings, and is a lot more about passing and attractive football than his predecessor, which is why there is such a feel-good vibe at Villa now. I have not placed a bet on this game but I just thought I would add my opinion. If anything, the odds on West Ham look a little low to me, but I expect a draw.

Re: West Ham v Villa Saturday 18th August 2012 Although I am a West Ham fan I try to analyse the games they are involved in as I would any other fixture. The latest news is that Villa will now be without the services of Dunne and Albrightson (spelling?) as well as Agbonlahor. With Collins going back to the Irons, Villa may well lack a bit of experience at the back, and have lost both pacey wingers who West Ham often struggle against. The signing of Alou Diarra will strengthen WHU in the defensive midfield area and will allow the like of Taylor, Nolan and Noble to maraud forward. I am hopeful Maiga will turn out to be another Demba Ba. I know Big Sam has been criticised for negative tactics but I'm not really sure that was the case at Upton Park where teams such as Bristol City and Ipswich 'parked the bus' and made it difficult. The so called negative tactics worked well away from home with the Hammers winning 13 games on the road and 14 if you include the play-off final. I think West Ham may well prove more value now than when this thread was started, and I will be backing them to narrowly defeat Villa.

Re: West Ham v Villa Saturday 18th August 2012 Hi all, at last the new season is back (although the euros and Olympics did keep the grey matter ticking bet wise) As many may know im a Villa fan and I do see a draw here. We have a long history with West Ham (including when we were reinstated in the league cup following the Hammers playing an ineligible substitute, we won the replay #tayloryouledge) For several meetings now the matches at Upton park between us 2 are generally tight with draws, 2-1's and the odd 1-0 occurring. I don't see this match being any different. We have tightened up our defence, in my opinion, with Ron Vlaar replacing Collins and Lowton in for Hutton. I also see Clark possibly starting instead of Dunne which is also a bonus as he will be a regular for years to come (think Gary Cahill minus the fact we haven't lost him yet for a relatively, 5m, small fee) Collins is back at West ham and, although by no means a bad defender, is prone to lack of concentration and assertiveness. The additions to West Ham are a little bit unknown to most outside fans, the strikers have hardly lit up the world before and Cole does what he does, a slightly more useful Heskey. If Nolan was out it would surprise me because an injection can numb his foot and he is no wimp, fully expect him to start. On the absence of Aggy, I dont think this is a negative, he may not have started anyway, Nzog will probably play with Holman the other side of Bent. Ireland in an attacking mid role plus 2 of our central mids. In summery before more news emerges I call a tight draw, most probably 1-1 from recent showings. I will be using this in multiple draw trebles throughout the football league as opening rounds tend to throw up surprises and draws. I will post more later in the week, good luck all, hope to hear some more opinions!

Re: West Ham v Villa Saturday 18th August 2012 3/10pts West Ham to beat Aston Villa - 13/10 with William Hill I think this is a good opening fixture for the Hammers and will back them to get off to a flyer. In Sam Allardyce, West Ham have a brilliant manager for their first season back and I feel there won't be many tougher places to go outside the top 6 than Upton Park this season. They have plenty of experience in many key departments and have enough choice up front to cause this Villa defence problems. I can see the likes of Noble, Taylor and Nolan bossing the midfield. Lambert can't call on Dunne, Albrighton and Agbonlahor for this game so his already thin-looking squad looks even worse. I can see them struggling this year unless they get a few more solid players in but that won't help them in this fixture so they could be up against it. If West Ham can keep Darren Bent quiet I think that is half the job done as they should have enough options in midfield and up front to get a goal or 2 enough for the 3 points.

Re: West Ham v Villa Saturday 18th August 2012 The main problem I have from a win/draw/win perspective here is we don't know how the new Villa signings will gel. Villa have had a very promising pre-season (only lost once I think) and appeared to have embraced Paul Lamberts attacking philosophy. The mood in the camp seems very good and if they do hit the ground running, then player for player they're are better side than West Ham. The loss of Dunne is a positive (woeful for 18 months now) and Agbonlahor has been ineffectual for a long time partly due to being played out of position by McLeish. I doubt he'll be missed. New signings Vlaar, El Hamadi, Lowton etc could rise to the occasion however, could be overawed by debuts at a hostile Upton Park. The thing is, we just don't know. What we do know is Villa have played all out attacking football during the preseason, consistant with Lamberts style of play at Norwich. So I expect them to be going all out for the win. Add to this the suspect back four's of both sides, the return of Darren Bent, West Hams return to the Premier League, who will be kean under Big Sam to make a positive start in front of their home crowd, then I fully expect a few goals here and I believe the under/goal odds are a bit wide of the mark. Recommend - over 2.5 goals (widely available) - EVENS

Wow' date=' so many of you following West Ham on the opening day. 10 points?! Be careful with that is all I'll say. We've had a huge regroup over the summer and I really think we'll be up for it today.[/quote'] Well your a Villa fan, so you would have a biased opinion. I will bet how i please! All the best today.

Re: West Ham v Villa Saturday 18th August 2012 West Ham v Aston Villa +0.25 (AH) @ 2.05 Bet365 (3 points) i think Villa are being underestimated by many with West Ham being a little over estimated too. Yes Villa we're terrible last season but with Lambert now in charge, you would expect them to be more organised. West Ham have made a number if signings and still trying for more as Allardyche looks desperate for a left winger. A couple of the foreign signings are left out today as they aren't yet fit, whilst jack collision is out injured. Villas new signings on the other hand all have a good chance of starting. This won't be an easy game at all for the Hammers and I think there is a bit of value on Villas handicap. As a newly promoted side, I would have made this a level ball handicap. I perhaps think West Hams reputation makes them a bit shorter than they would have been otherwise.

After all my weeks of studying and deliberating, i think my only bet on Day 1 of the premier league will be going on West Ham. They may have come up through the play-offs, but i genuinely feel they will have a bit too much for Villa at home on the opening day of the season where the home fans and players will be pumped to the max, and will feel in order to get their goal of promotion started, they will have to start the season brightly, and they know they will also have to be dogged and get results at home, as getting results away from home in the premier league can be extremely tough. The Hammers are beginning to get warmed up for the new season after a 2-1 win against Colchester yesterday. Kevin Nolan went off with a toe injury, so we will have to see how he fares out and see if he gets back in time. The chairman and management are still negotiating more transfers, and they may well see a couple of new faces in the team come August 18th. Sam Allardyce knows the Premier League inside out, and one thing he normally has is a ood home record, as we saw when Blackburn were a tough side at home when he was in charge there. Carlton Cole is going to be a huge player for the hammers this season, he is a premiership player, and will be very eager to stay where he belongs this time. The team morale should be very high after beating Blackpool in the play-off final at Wembley, there will be no motivating these players. Paul Lambert may well prove to be a good manager for Villa, but in my opinion he will need time to settle in and find his feet. The Villa had a very poor season last year, but their style of play should change this season with Mr Boring McLeish gone out the door, and we should see a more attack-minded (Norwich-style) game from Villa this year. However, playing this way, and Lambert's way, normally means you concede goals, and are dodgy at the back. Very worringly for Villa, Agbonlahor may be out for a while with a knee injury. If he is missing for this game, it will be a huge blow for Villa. I normally don't bet on the first day of the season, but i genuinely think West Ham are a great bet for this match. West Ham have signed a player with a lot of potential in Modibo Maiga, who they bought from Sochaux. He has been described as being potentially the "next Kanoute", and if this turns out to be true, he should have a very productive season for the hammers. I think the Hammers are going to win this match, so a nice bet shall be placed on them. *West Ham - 10 Points WIN @ 11/8 VC*
Not a very entertaining game, but West Ham were the better side and got the deserved win, Villa offered zilch up front really. A nice start! Bets 1 Wins 1 Stake 10 Points Profit/Loss +13.75 Points Yield +137.5%