** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Fulham v Norwich Saturday 18th August 2012

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Fulham v Norwich Saturday 18th August 2012 OK, first off Pogrebnyak is a striker, not a midfielder, and he was only on a 6 month contract as well so it is difficult to say what the effect of not resigning him will be. Second, I do value Clint Dempsey as one of our best players however I do no think that the team is useless without him. In the past two seasons we have had a big issue with strikers, Zamora was injured for more than half of the 10-11 season, and left for QPR half way through last years to QPR. A. Johnson was injured for the whole of the 10-11 season as far as I can recall. Pogrebnyak was an emergency replacement this Jan so that we had someone to start as a striker other than AJ, who everyone knew wanted to get out of the club, and was not good enough to be starting games. Orlando Sa was poor (scored 1 goal from a handful of starts) and any other strikers lacked the experience, like Trotta for example (one to watch in the future). There have been times when we have had no strikers, which is why Dempsey has scored so many goals, he has been playing an AM / CF role. If Dempsey goes this summer, which I think he will, we should land £8-10m for him. Unless this happens on deadline day, the cash will be reinvested. A lot of people say 'without Mr Xs goals, you would be relegated' but it isn't fair to make these kinds of judgements, everything is relative. It does have an effect on the team, but it isn't like Arsenal will finish 15th without RVP. Martin Jols Fulham will be very different this season to what he took over a year ago. A lot of players have left, a few have been signed, and many have come up through the academy. Anyway, I will do a little summary of what has changed and what strengths / weaknesses the team currently has below. I will update nearer to the start of the season. Schwarzer is still in goal, and has been pretty reliable for the last 3 seasons. The Senderos/Hangeland combo in defence actually turned out pretty good, and whether it is senderos or hughes partnering hangeland I do trust our defence. Riise will stay at LB, hopefully he can play as more of a WB and provide some threat on goal, which he didn't last season. A RB has been beought in on loan from Koln, Sascha Riether which was our only weak spot in defence last season. In terms of midfield, the obvious issue is the Dempsey departure, and Dembele too (massively underrated IMO). Danny Murphy is a big loss as well, as he was a rock in midfield (he is now at blackburn) but he was getting old. There are a lot of younger players moving into the squad and Jol is making it is his own now. Whether this will be successful or not is not something I know, but plans are in place, rather than panic. The only issue is forwards. Rodallega has been signed but he doesn't seem perfect. Petric joined as well, and Bryan Ruiz is yet to shine. Ultimately, you can't really make judgements on this until the end of the window. ----- As for the game itself, it is still early days (I haven't even looked at the odds yet). Fulham have been consistently strong at home, but with a player overhaul this could change. It is also the first game of the season, which makes predictions harder. Norwich have had a new manager come in, but I dont know what team changes have been made. I'll update nearer the time with any injury news for fulham etc. and any insight i can give into the team.

Re: Fulham v Norwich Saturday 18th August 2012

Pogrebnyak is not an out and out striker he joins in to collect the ball and drops deep when they don't have possession' date=' that's why I say weaker in midfield. Without him there to help out they will have to work far harder to retain possession and more likely see less of the ball themselves as a result, whilst not being as potent upfront as they were last season. He pretty much turned them around in the 6 months he was there; personally I think they are alot weaker without him there...[/quote'] No, he is a striker... Players like Dembele are considered forwards but are often played in midfield, however this is not the case at all with Pog. You can make that case for any player, It is like saying we are weaker in defence because we don't have him to get back for corners... He was signed because Zamora left. Zamora scored 7 in the first half of the season. Pogrebnyak scored 6 in the second half. It is a pretty weak argument to be honest - FFC do need a striker but not a huge amount can be said until all transfers have been settled etc. Dempsey leaving will have a far greater effect than Pogrebnyak.

Re: Fulham v Norwich Saturday 18th August 2012 I would be happy with him going to Arsenal. I just don't want him to go to LFC as we finished equal on points with them last season and he claims to want to leave on the grounds of wanting Champions League football.

I would be happy with him going to Arsenal. I just don't want him to go to LFC as we finished equal on points with them last season and he claims to want to leave on the grounds of wanting Champions League football.
Lol - you have been equal in points with Pool for one (1) season, and you already consider yourselves being the same level with them?! I think a lot of underestimation for Pool is going on in this forum...

Re: Fulham v Norwich Saturday 18th August 2012 I don't want to spam a non-Liverpool thread, but I think people tend to forget/disregard several important factors about L-pool performance: - With all due respect to Kenny and Roy, but over the last two years Liverpool had two old, conservative, non-dynamic managers with out-dated views. They both decreased the potential level of the team considerably. While Rodgers is still a mystery, he is young and prospective, and if he turns out to fit well at Anfield, this will automatically bring Liverpool's performance, relative to past two seasons, significantly. - Last year, Liverpool was the team that hit the wood-work the most. Besides that, the team was notorious for missing huge amount of clear-cut chances, especially at home. While this fact definitely also involves some degree of lack of ability, it also means a lot of misfortune. If Liverpool's luck turns good this season, it could easily means +10-15 points for the team. - Last season, several key players at Liverpool underperformed big time. And I mean players who proved high class and potential in the Premiership before. If they at least approach their expected level of performance, it would bring a great bust for the team. All I want to say is that while Fulham or even Spurs have relatively little potential to improve their present level (which for Spurs is higher than Liverpool's at the moment), Pool has a lot of potential for improvement. Of course, there is no guarantee as to whether this potential will be realized. But such total underestimation is very undeserved and unfounded.

Re: Fulham v Norwich Saturday 18th August 2012 The fact is, if you hit the woodwork or miss clear cut chances over 38 games then it would indicate that something isn't as it should. The reason I would be annoyed is not because I think Fulham are equal to Liverpool (I know we are not) but because he wants Champions League football. He wont find this for at least 2 seasons at LFC. Its easy enough to say 'we hit the woodwork a lot' as an excuse. I guess we didn't score enough goals and conceded too many, maybe if we didn't do that then we would win more games :) You should improve from Dalglish, he was awful given the talent available (He doesn't seem like a particularly decent bloke anyway) but you never know with a new manager. All it comes down to is results. If they balance out then fair enough but I have no reason to think that Liverpool are a strong club at the moment. New manager could change things but given the spending and ability to draw talent to a club they should be doing a lot better and finishing ahead of Spurs & Newcastle & Everton

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Fulham v Norwich Saturday 18th August 2012 There's a good rate for Norwich team-vs-team corners (3.50 at bet365). of course Fulham should get more corners, but last season Norwich won both (home and away, but close) - indeed 3.50 is too high... Norwich's corners performance isn't good enough for that rate: http://www.ligastats.com/view.php?ccode=eng&team=4

Re: Fulham v Norwich Saturday 18th August 2012 Over 2.5 goals 1.96 @ Betfair - I think this game will go over 2.5 goals. Fulham have signed 2 new strikers in Rodallega from Wigan and Petric from Hamburg and Petric has had a very good pre-season scoring 5 goals. Although Dempsey will not play Fulham have other players that can hurt Norwich with the likes of Dembele and Duff. Norwich have conceded in each of their last 33 premier league away games and i think Fulham are capable of scoring 2 or more against a pretty average Norwich defence. I also think however that Norwich could grab a goal as they have some decent attacking options. Grant Holt had a great season last season with Steve Morison being a more than sufficient back up to him as well. They signed Robert Snodgrass who did well at Leeds and i think he is a decent signing for Norwich so i think they have enough attacking capabilities to get a goal at Craven Cottage. Statistics: 13 out of 19 of Fulham's home games in the league last season went over 2.5 goals and 12 out of 19 of Norwich's away games last season in the league went over 2.5 goals. So for me the 1.96 on there being over 2.5 goals looks good to me.

Re: Fulham v Norwich Saturday 18th August 2012 Fulham v Norwich +0.75 (AH) 1.90 Bet365 (3 points) The price on Fulham is coming in when in reality, I think it should be the other way round. Everyone is simply writing Norwich off this season seemingly on the basis that Lambert has gone. Hughton is a decent replacement though and Norwich haven't lost any key players. They have also added some reasonable signings and Michael Turner and Robert Snodgrass should go straight into the team. Norwich were excellent last season and really made a game of it against most sides. I expet them to carry on in such a manner and this is by no means a shoo in for the home side. Fulham have lost some long term regulars this season and the Dempsey episode is a real blow for them. He is a massive loss and you have to wonder how it will have effected their perpetration this week. They had an excellent home record last season and they do have some very good individuals but even Dembele is getting his head turned with whispers of interest from the likes of Madrid.Hangeland also appears to be reluctant to sign a new contract. Up front they are suddenly looking very light with Ruiz failing to look the part last season. Rodallega doesnt really do much for me with him scoring something like just 2 goals for Wigan last year.The guy on loan from Germany could be decent but I must admitt to not knowing too much about him. However as with any new international signing, he could take time to adapt. So I think Fulham could be looking a little disjointed today and the loss of the likes of Progbeynak, Murphy and Dempsey could take its toll. As I say, they do of course still have some good players and a fine home record, but all things considered, there price is just too short in my opinion. Norwich are a well drilled side and are well capable of picking up a point here. On a +0.75 handicap, I think they have to be taken.

Re: Fulham v Norwich Saturday 18th August 2012 Norwich fan here. Just to warn you, our pre-season games haven't been in line with last season's goalfests - our first friendly was 3-2, but our next 6 all went under 2.5, including two 0-0s in the last 3 games. We're going to be set up a bit differently to last year, probably with a 4-4-1-1 with Snodgrass playing in behind Holt, to start with anyway. Having said that, I think we'll win 2-1 :) Seriously though, I do think Norwich are value at the 4.99 Pinnacle are currently offering. I can't understand why Fulham are as low as 1.73 in places, especially when their best player by far wants to leave and isn't even in the squad. I think Fulham will struggle this season, and could find themselves in a relegation fight in May. Norwich 4.99 @ Pinnacle

I agree, I think if you look at who fulham have lost pre season, and then look at the signings, they have definitely decreased in ability. Last season because of norwich's defensive issues I would have been all over fulham, but things have changed this season. That's where we can nip in and find value as the bookies are still pricing this game based on last season. I had Norwich for relegation this season, but they will improve defensively under hughton, who has already bought in Michael turner and left back javier garrido. Norwich +0.5 @ 2.075 - BET365. The pricing with the Asians is mental if you ask me, as BET365 have the line set at +0.75. I don't see this fulham side being that much better than Norwich, and this is the first day of the season.

Re: Fulham v Norwich Saturday 18th August 2012 Under 2.5 @ 1.98 pinnacle With Dempsey out of this game, Fulham lose quite a bit whe goung forward as his goals last year helped them to finish in the top half of the table. They had a very good home record last year, and were very hard to beat, but scoring goals may be a problem here as Petric may take time to settle in while their is not much creativity in the midfield. Defensively they look settled and should not give much away here. Norwich will look to improve their own defensive failings from last year and with the signings of Turner and Garrido, they should not concede as much. However their form on the road was pretty poor and did not had a clean sheet at all last year while on the road. A new season means that they will look to address this early on, and expect a more defensive approach from them here. A low scoring game looks likely.

Fulham v Norwich +0.75 (AH) 1.90 Bet365 (3 points) The price on Fulham is coming in when in reality, I think it should be the other way round. Everyone is simply writing Norwich off this season seemingly on the basis that Lambert has gone. Hughton is a decent replacement though and Norwich haven't lost any key players. They have also added some reasonable signings and Michael Turner and Robert Snodgrass should go straight into the team. Norwich were excellent last season and really made a game of it against most sides. I expet them to carry on in such a manner and this is by no means a shoo in for the home side. Fulham have lost some long term regulars this season and the Dempsey episode is a real blow for them. He is a massive loss and you have to wonder how it will have effected their perpetration this week. They had an excellent home record last season and they do have some very good individuals but even Dembele is getting his head turned with whispers of interest from the likes of Madrid.Hangeland also appears to be reluctant to sign a new contract. Up front they are suddenly looking very light with Ruiz failing to look the part last season. Rodallega doesnt really do much for me with him scoring something like just 2 goals for Wigan last year.The guy on loan from Germany could be decent but I must admitt to not knowing too much about him. However as with any new international signing, he could take time to adapt. So I think Fulham could be looking a little disjointed today and the loss of the likes of Progbeynak, Murphy and Dempsey could take its toll. As I say, they do of course still have some good players and a fine home record, but all things considered, there price is just too short in my opinion. Norwich are a well drilled side and are well capable of picking up a point here. On a +0.75 handicap, I think they have to be taken.
Bloody hell. ive obviously well under estimated Fulham and they clearly deserve more respect. Lesson learned!

Wouldn't get too carried away by the result as the season is a marathon not a sprint.... Odd results often occur on the first season, and it looks like we've had our fair share today with Swansea winning 5-0 and WBA winning 3-0. Still early days.