Portugal v Spain > June 27

Re: Portugal v Spain > June 27 Very poor game to watch as defences were on top. There were flashes of attacking skill but mostly it was both teams cancelling each other out. Congratulations to those who backed unders or Portugal+ on the Asian Handicap.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Portugal v Spain > June 27

More Goals In The Second Half @ 2.3 with Bwin.
Bet lost but Cristina Ronalda (no, not a typo...) could have won it for me but decided to aim at some innocent supporters. One huge lesson for me is that at HT I was looking to back 0-0 to trade it out but then thought that @3.25 wasn't worh it. Would have some small profit now rather than a loss. Let this tournament now finish and English Football League season start...

Think I will be playing cards here, haven't had time to look at prices yet though. This ref took charge of Ireland v Italy and gave 39 free kicks. He was ultra fussy imo, and for periods in the 2nd half it nearly looked like the players were calling their own free kicks. He showed 7 yellows in total (with a 2nd to Andrews) and given the occasion & the fact that the cards to date have been wiped, I think there will be cards. I think 4 of the 7 cards were for dissent, Bourne from frustration at his fussy refereeing. Obviously need to see the prices first, but I have been waiting for this refs next game since Ireland v Italy.
Well the ref didn't disappoint!! Just the 8 cards in normal time, and not sure of the free kick count after 90 but 47 in total incl ET ain't too shabby. Not gonna mention any bets I had as that would be aftertiming. Worth keeping an eye on this lad next season in the Champions League I reckon.

It was a good tip' date=' but I was wondering why you didn't follow it yourself?[/quote'] I would have happily taken the unders market on this game, but there was no value. Odds were just way too low, Portugal on a handicap had some value, but it just wasn't enough for me to take them, and while I expected a 0-0 and a penalty shootout in favor of Spain at the stakes I'm betting at it was better to leave this game alone.

Re: Portugal v Spain > June 27 Kind of as expected - tight. Both had some good chances. Played the spain 1:0 win :( . congrats to portugal + 0,5 backers. Spain didnt improve much. Portugal was as strong as vs. germany but their problems were clear. No creative midfield and Nani and Ronaldo on their own. Coentrao did play very well. Spain had major problems and didnt even come into their tiki taka rythmn. They needed to play a extra time + penaltys. I felt that they were as a whole team tired. Xavi is tired and out of form. Tought 2-3 players would step up but nada. Spain will beg to play italy instead of germany with their fast and more fit wingers.

Either team not to score @ 1.8 (Stan James) 5/10 Stan James are offering 1.8 on this market again, after offering it in the England game last night. This is not as good value as it was in England vs Italy, but it's still worth taking. Since 1996 19/32 games in the knockout section of Euros have featured only one or neither team scoring. Out of Portugal's last 8 games in tournament football, 6 would have seen this bet come in, and out of their last 12 games in tournament football 8 would have seen this come in. Similarly for Spain; 9 out of their last 11 tournament games would have seen this bet win. If we include the 2008 Euros the stat is 12 out of 17. It is particularly Spain's knockout games in which one team or neither teams score. Their last 8 knockout games would have seen this bet win. Also, the last two head to heads saw only one team score...Spain won 1-0 when the sides met at the last World Cup and Portugal won 4-0 in a friendly which probably shouldn't be taken too seriously. Enough stats, let's try and think how this game will pan out. Naturally, Spain will have the vast majority of the possession. This is itself will limit the chances Portugal will get. France only had one shot on target versus Spain, whilst Croatia only had three, although Italy had six. Portugal will be happy with the lottery of extra time and penalties so I would imagine they would be set up defensively, as they were against Germany. They will try and feed Ronaldo and Nani on the break. Hence the unders being favourites at around 1.5. An early goal looks unlikely when we consider the underish nature of the game and Spain's stunning record of 0-0 half time scores. If Spain take the lead they will keep the ball and be patient, as they were against France. If Portugal take the lead I think there is a decent chance they will hold on for a 1-0 win. Spain weren't too successful trying to break down Croatia's defence until Croatia had to go forward and leave spaces. They do only have one way of playing and this is fine when they are winning or drawing but if they are behind I think it is possible to frustrate them. A lot of players on both sides play in La Liga, notably Pepe and Coentrao who will know Ronaldo very well, so this knowledge of each others' strengths and weaknesses perhaps is another factor in favour of a tight game. Ronaldo is of course in great form and could scupper this bet with a bit of magic. I'll take that risk here though; I think considering the favourable stats and how I think the game will go that Stan James are taking a risk with this stand out price; the other bookies look correct at 1.67 or so.
Pleased with this, think it was good value, though I also backed the Spain to have most shots on target @ Bluesquare, so a small loss for me on the night. I think I would have been alright with the original possession "arb" (which was not an arb) in the end, but it would have been far too much of a risk. Strange day of betting overall.

They had the better possession based opportunities, so no they didn't have many shots on target but that's not to say they didn't look the more threatening. Put it this way; there were more times where the Portugal fans were stood up hands ovver mouths because of a chance not taken advantage of, than a chance conceded to Spain. Both teams created little in the way of clear cut chances, but I would say Portugal definitely pressed harder for a goal - they could have had a penalty, and Ronaldo had a couple of chances which he might have done better with. I'm surprised you say it was a terrible game though i quite enjoyed it! Maybe if you had money on Spain to win 4-0 it was terrible, but I never saw there being more than 1 goal in it so I wasn't disappointed. Just pleased to see Portugal push the Spanish all the way and uncover the fact that they aren't actually thsi juggernaught unbeatable team. To lose in the way that they did is harsh because Spain offered virtually nothing at all going forward. In terms of both shooting opportunities and possessional advantage, in fact a large part of their possession was passing side or backwards. They deserved to lose, though winning the shoot out means they have another chance at redemption by winning their next game! I don't really see them doing that the way they are playing though, either Italy or Germany will give em a spanking! I loved Spain the world cup winners but I can't stand this current one, they bore me to tears
Don't think its luck that Spain never concede goals in knockout games. I found it boring because there were hardly any chances, if Spain continue to concede hardly any goalscoring chances they will continue to look unbeatable, they didn't deserve to lose because Portugal didn't come close to scoring, as football games go it ticked all the criteria of being ****e..I'll leave it at that.

Re: Portugal v Spain > June 27 Errrm did anybody do the Spain more possession bet at Bwin??? They are trying to say Portugal (Team 1) had more possession!!! What kind of joke is this?? Every site says Spain have had at least 55% possession and even on their own stats page it states 55%, have sent a very angry email.

Errrm did anybody do the Spain more possession bet at Bwin??? They are trying to say Portugal (Team 1) had more possession!!! What kind of joke is this??
It's weird because when the match ended the UEFA website gave these figures for possession: Portugal 55% and Spain 45%. I remember distinctly because I was about to post about it, as Soccerway had different figures: Portgual 43% Spain 57%. However, now it's been corrected to Portugal 43% and Spain 57% http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2012/matches/live/index.html?day=8&session=1&match=2003378

I think spain was very much fatigued having 2 days less to rest while portugal looked fresher for 90 minutes. Did anyone see the same? I think the rest is really an issue.
I actually thought Portugal looked more tired towards the end, and Spain played their best football at the end of the match and in extra time. Portugal was leaving too much space for the Spanish to play in.

Yeh very strange' date=' well i expect them to credit my account asap and hope they dont try and pull any shady stuff, dont have the confidence i do in them compares to a Betfair, Bet365 etc[/quote'] I think they are basing it on the first figures UEFA published where for some reason Portgual had 55%, but now that its been corrected by UEFA, they should correct it as well. Hopefully they will credit you soon.

I actually thought Portugal looked more tired towards the end' date=' and Spain played their best football at the end of the match and in extra time. Portugal was leaving too much space for the Spanish to play in.[/quote'] Portugal obviously did run more to track the passing and they did it very well. Tough, spain looked very sloppy and tired in the first 90 minutes. Then Xavi was substituted and the fresh Pedro and Navas played. Xavi didnt seem to be able to have a great impact.

Re: Portugal v Spain > June 27 Congratulations to so_what_it_is for the coentrao bet thought 3.00 just to get booked once was a great price. And thankyou to Kiddo112 for bringing this referee to our attention. He was just laughable at how particular he was with every detail of the game! Pepe and Bruno Alves both got booked too! Be sure to let us know when he pops up again in CL. Wow Spain played so disgracefully and were still able to get through. Says alot... ;)

Re: Portugal v Spain > June 27 Portugal did not deserve anything, they didn't do enough to deserve passing to the next round, but neither did Spain. The game ended like it should have 0-0, and in the shoot-out with Casillas in goal and much more experienced kickers for Spain you always felt they had a much bigger chance of winning.

Portugal did not deserve anything, they didn't do enough to deserve passing to the next round, but neither did Spain. The game ended like it should have 0-0, and in the shoot-out with Casillas in goal and much more experienced kickers for Spain you always felt they had a much bigger chance of winning.
Yeah agreed Portugal are so painfully overated they were given an opportunity today to kill off a half dead team and they still couldn't deliver. Just Nani and Ron chasing their tails. Portugal this Portugal that but when it comes to the crunch they always fold and they were true to that today. Get ready for it......:lol

Well I have a long memory and I am sure it was you who said I was 'singing' about Portugal. I didn't see any names mentioned but Bet365 are giving pretty solid odds on it being me. Lol.
Ha yeah alot of people were singing that song not just you don't get too self-conscious. Good analysis on Italy agree with alot of the things you're noticing