Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas)

3.35 York Very competitive handicap as you would expect but one sticks out a bit like a sore thumb as being potentially overpriced in the current market. Vasily comes from the Pat Eddery yard who have been amongst the winners recently. He was well supported on racecourse debut but was disappointing on the back of that but did show improved form 2nd time out before winning when last seen in a typical poor Brighton maiden although the 2nd has made up into a useful hurdler and was officially rated 80 on the flat so a mark of 82 for a near 3 length victory over him makes it look a workable one. Ground is going to be drying all day apparently and looking at the weather which is gonna be in his favor and aslong as fully wound up for this run he could run a big a race at a decent price. 1pt e/w Vasily 12/1 bet365 5.05 Lingfield Kangaroo Court looks a massive price! Relatively lightly raced as a 8yr old but very useful jumper rated 140 over fences and 132 over hurdles and an opening mark of 76 switched back to the flat looks lenient having won a maiden around here over 12f in quite a taking fashion. That form has been boosted with the 2nd winning next time out (since been tad disappointing in handicaps although soft ground possible excuse) and 3rd has won a handicap off a mark 71 he was beaten nearly 2lengths behind Kangaroo Court so a mark of 76 looks workable given he could improve again in this sphere. Again yard have been in the winners and do well with there small flat string. 3pt win Kangaroo Court 11/2 Boyles 8.40 Bath Shy hold a solid chance in this handicap, she remains 6lb above last winning mark but has proved a model of consistency on the AW recently and a return to turf is in her favour, ground holds no fear and she has finished runner twice around here which can count for a lot around here. She got involved in a nasty bumping match when seen at Kempton last time out and did well to finish as close as she did and showed how tough she really is and she fully deserves to get her head back infront. 2pt win Shy 7/2 bet365

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) 3:00 York: Restiadargent 1pt win 14/1 Boylesports & Soul 1pt win 20/1 Coral The ability to handle the going is likely to be key. Restiadargent is only a three year old however she has already shown a likeness for a softer surface in her native France. Last season she signed off with a five length win in a Group 2 having previously won a Group 3 also at Maisons-laffitte. It will be harder against her elders, yet with a warm up race already under her belt, connections must feel she will be competitive to make the journey over worthwhile. Strange to see Frankie Dettori on an outsider in a Group race, especially when his mount is offically the third highest rated. Soul has some good form on heavy going at Flemington. Hard to know how that form translates, however Soul beat a horse called Buffering who then went on to pick up a couple of Group races himself. Soul did win off 109 on his penultimate outing at Meydan before finishing last at the same course in a Group One on tapeta. Soul is well travelled and if he has settled in, he looks overpriced.

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) *Hoof It - York 3:00* Course winner 3 times, C+D winner twice and has won over this trip 4 times. Should be fresh after a 256 day break, he won the Betfair Handicap at Donny last year, then won a tough handicap here at York after that. He won the Sky Bet Dash at York two runs later and then won the Stewards Cup after that, cracking horse. Was 3rd to Bated Breath in a Group 1 when last seen, and if he re-produces that run, he will win in a canter tomorrow. Ryan Moore is booked for the ride, that is a tip in itself. Ryan has only ever had 1 ride for Mick Easterby before, and he won that day. Huge chance. *1 Point WIN @ 7/2 VC BOG*

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) York has its usual diffcult Dante Meeting card to try to find some winners I'm going with some big price ones who we know can deliver in these big races, they may have to improve a couple of pounds but the prices are reflective of this and i am taking an EW view of thier chances especially in the big fields 1.30 MIRRORED 20/1 PP trained by Tim Easterby who is the 2nd top trainer in the race for winners here but only 7% SR, only 2lb off best win OR so certainly capable 2.00 NEW PLANET 10/1 PP won 1st time up this season and has the ability to win off this weight, was concerned the field size may be a disadvantage but off the winning mark of 100 will go close 3.00 LIBRANNO 16/1 PP- hannons string in decent form and although hasnt shown too much in last 2 runs, the horse will be therabouts running on at the death and could peg these back with a fast finishing run 3.35 RED JADE 18/1 PP- capable of winning off this mark again albeit now 7 years old but only 28 runs under its belt in its career so not too over used. A very difficult race though! EW doubles for me

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) 2:30 York: Aniseed 1pt win 50/1 Ladbrokes There have been some shocks in Group races recently and Aniseed may provide another one here. She is an offspring of Dalakhani who was bred by His Highness The Aga Khan, whose breeding operation has some fantastic bloodlines. Aniseed is entered in several maidens over the next few days yet shrewd trainer William Haggas runs her here, and surely not for last place prize money. There must be hope that Aniseed is better than she has shown. She is likely to act on this surface and a couple of Aniseed's runs to date have been respectable. The fifth to Samitar at Newmarket and the fourth to Kailani (prominent in The Oaks betting) at Yarmouth is fair form. It will need significant improvement to take this, however with the yard in form that may not be totally out of the question.

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) 1.30 York Think Kirthill is the biggest value of the lightly raced/top yard runners at the head of the market but i like New Hampshire (16/1 VC) who would be half the price if he was still with John Gosden. Tony Coyle has showed he's a very capable runner and readied this one to run a massive race on his reappearance this year. Had previously shown fair form for the Gosden yard last year, fairing best of those racing prominently back in November in a hot race at Lingfield. Conditions fine and although a big field, not tons of pace on so may suit to sit close to the pace, big each way price. 2.00 York I think York Glory could be very well handicapped here, his run at the end of last year has worked out very well and he didnt get the clearest of passages that day, was hoping for slightly bigger than 7/1 but have had a small bet. Baby Strange (14/1 Skybet) has been well supported this evening, i missed the 20/1 earlier but managed to get 16/1. He's hard to catch right and his losing run is worryingly building up but he ran a massive race from a very unfavourable position lto and may be ready to go very close. Conditions fine, needs a strong pace and he's almost a guarantee to be staying on late. Will be interested in Escape To Glory if he's slightly bigger tomorrow at any time. 3.35 York Granston (20/1 Betfred) looks to have a lot in his favour with a great record fresh, conditions fine and he's handicapped to win races based on his performances in the last couple of years. Yard in good form with Graham Gibbons a positive booking, 20/1 looks a big price.

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) Taking a few for the first day of the Dante meeting. 1.30 York As usual, a hot handicap to kick off with 14 runners for this Class 2, 10f race. Flag Officer, on its run behind Sea Moon, could well be the handicap blot and may trot up but there surely has to be question marks over its wellbeing so the price is a little too short for me. I will stick with a fancied unexposed type though and go with: Labarinto (2pts EW @ 15/2 Betfred BOG) - A 4yo with 2 wins from 9 starts, this horse hails from a top yard with top jockey on board and has lots to recommend it. 3 maiden runs over inadequate trips before stepped up to this trip of a mile & a quarter. Ran a close 2nd to 112 rated & G2 winning horse Al Kazeem at Newbury before a nice 3rd of 18 in a hot race at HQ where it didn't get the run of the race, nor was the draw that kind. Went down to Goodwood after that and won impressively off a mark 4lb lower than this in another race not suiting. That was impressive but 2 runs since have, on the face of it, put a big question mark over its chance. However, last run of last season was always ending in disappointment where the jockey decided to chase a stupidly fast pace and you can easily ignore that run. Reappeared this term in the Spring Cup. Ran midfield where trip was too short, ground was too soft, stable was out of form, was drawn on the wrong side of the track and certainly looked in need of the run. Again, I'm happy to ignore. This looks much more its bag and I think this one could get us off to a cracking start. 2.00 York Class 2, 20 runner cavalry charge over 6f. Such an open heat demands that we pick an unexposed horse with improvement left in there. In such a tough contest, I've taken 2, with a main bet and a saver: Barnet Fair (2pts EW @ 16/1 Betfred BOG) - In these races where there's no definite draw bias, I want a horse drawn right next to the pace. That's what we have here with the likely front runner drawn next door. An easy 6f suits and this one has run some good races off this mark, albeit is 6lb above its last winning mark. Likes to be held up and was noted 3 starts ago staying on very well over 5f here when not getting a clear run. That was off this mark. Next time up over this trip at Doncaster, our selection was 5th of 21 when the jockey rode a strange race going around the houses to get a run. Would surely have finished much closer had it run a straight path. Very positive jockey booking today and, if this one doesn't get too far back (helped by the draw) and gets a trouble free passage, I'm confident of a big effort. Fitness, however, has to be taken on trust. Escape To Glory (1pt EW @ 14/1 Bet365 BOG) - Having a saver on this unexposed type right from the foot of the handicap. Goes well on good or easier going and has been running well recently, most notably when 2nd at Windsor over a furlong shorter when just failing to get up. Lto, this one ran in a top handicap at HQ and, despite finishing 19th, was poised to make a move when very badly hampered at a crucial stage. That ruined all hope of a good finish and it is hoped compensation will be gained here. Another to be drawn near the pace. 3.35 York Another big field with 20 for this Class 4, 1m4f handicap. Sticking with the unexposed theme in competitive handicaps, I've come up with one in the shape of: The Fun Crusher (2pts EW @ 8/1 Bet365 BOG) - 2 career starts as a 4yo, you don't get much more unexposed than that. Is drawn out in the car park but over this trip I ain't worried especially as our horse wants to be held up. Recent winners of this have also been drawn wide so provided the jockey doesn't adopt a total change of tactics, this shouldn't be a problem. First run was 12 months at Thirsk as a 3yo in a 12f maiden. Sent off at 33/1 that day and sat a long way off a modest pace but stayed on stoutly to land the spoils. Was not seen out again until returning this season 7 weeks ago at Doncaster over a shorter trip of a mile & a quarter. Off this mark and on this ground, the horse finished 5th of 16 despite not getting the clearest run and obviously in need of further. Finished well and looked to be crying out for a stiffer test. With York's long straight in our favour and there appearing to be enough pace, I think this one should sign Day 1 off with a winner.

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) 2.00 York - 2pts win Waffle @ 14/1 (Hills) Probably not the horse or race I should be selecting today in an attempt to get back-to-back winners but fortune favours the brave and this one surely deserves to get his head in front. He's rated 100 but has not won since his debut from a further 21 starts! However, his neck defeat off this mark at Ascot to one of the hottest sprinters around in Deacon Blues from last June reads very well and he has conditions to suit today. He's always needed a run or two before reaching his prime after a break and he should be spot on now. He improved from his first start after a while when a sound 9th of 24 last time at Newmarket and should be fully fit now. Any cut in the ground doesn't inconvenience and his best form has come on flat tracks. He's run twice here before - once with an absence to overcome and subsequently ran poorly, but the other occasion saw him run well over 5f so the course shouldn't be an issue either and this race is a bit weaker than that he ran in at HQ recently. Ideally the yard would be in better form but I'll take my chances anyway and hope that he can win one of these big sprint handicaps today.

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) 1.30 York RIGHT STEP 2pts to win @ 9/1 bog (Paddy Power and Boylesports) Right Step has been a very consistent horse at this level over the last couple of years. This 5yo gelding trained by Alan Jarvis has collected 2 wins and 6 seconds in 22 starts on flat and finished 2nd in this race last year off 94. That 2011 edition of this race was very good one as most of the horses have built on their performances since and won a lot of races, most of them going up a lot in the rating (the 3rd Arlequin is rated 11lb higher (103) now, the 4th Suits Me was rated up to 12lb higher (101) this winter and so on) and Right Step ran very well indeed. He travelled very well behind the leaders and took the lead over a furlong out but then had no chance with the winner Pekan Star. That was pretty unlucky as he bumped into a very unexposed sort as the problematic Pekan Star had ran only twice before that race: his debut in Aug 2009 (4th), a maiden for 3yo in Oct 2010 (1st) and that handicap/4yo debut off 85. Three efforts coming over a period of 621 days. Right Step finished again second off today's mark of 97 in a better event at Epsom (class 2 handicap over 1m2f, £28k to the winner) where he found again one too good (Resurge that won again last week at Chester). In that race he recorded a TS of 104 and matched his previous best RPR of 104 (the same he recorded at York 3 weeks before) so that was another thoroughly solid race ran by Right Step even if he came again one short. Later last year he lost his form (was also upped to 100 in the rating) but came back in sparkling from in 2012 making his debut over hurdles at Kempton in March and winning in nice style (the 4th of that race won in nice style yesterday). After that winning debut over hurdles he was tried (finished 8th of 12) in a very hot race (Grade 2) at Aintree at the Grand National Festival (race won by Darlan) but two weeks later (25 Apr) made a pleasing comeback on flat winning a quality race (£24k to the winner) at Epsom (1m2f, heavy, off 90). He's been upped 7lb for that easy win (Sirvino was second but well beaten) but as written above he raced in this race off 94 and was a bit unlucky to find Pekan Star last year and ran very well off 97 (second again) at Epsom in a better race last June. Top form, likes this track and has proven himself in this kind of contests many times now so he stands a solid chance today and at current prices I'm hoping he can add his third win to his palmares. Many good opponents of course but among them I want to mention just New Hampshire who was very unlucky last time out and is another runner at a very valuable price imho.

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) 2.00 York NEW PLANET 2pts to win @ 16/1 bog (William Hill) New Planet is a very talented young sprinter who has collected 3 wins and 2 thirds (once in a Group 2) in only 9 starts so far winning a Listed over 5f here at York at 2 (Aug 2010), racing very well over today's C&D last year (6th of 20 in a way better handicap for 3yo sprinters racing off 105) and winning again on his seasonal debut at Warwick (6f, soft) last month. This John Quinn-trained 4yo didn't have a very good season in 2011 but still he performed at his best over today's C&D because that 6th in a 20-runner hot handicap for 3yo sprinters ran last June was a very good performance. New Planet was racing off 105 and had finished just 12th (last) 3 weeks earlier in the Temple Stakes (Haydock, 5f, Group 2) against his elders three weeks earlier and that day he was finishing very fast showing that 6f is his perfect trip. As said that was a hot race as the winner Lexi's Hero was second off 5lb higher in a better race soon after that success at York, the 4th Swiss Dream has won three very good races since (two Listed) and is now rated 103 (14lb higher), the 5th Majestic Myles finished 1st, 2nd, 2nd and 3rd (4 days ago on his seasonal debut) in 4 Listed and is rated 111 (11lb higher) and so on. So that was a very good performance off 105 in a race way better than this (even if there were just 3yos of course) and in a season where New Planet mainly disappointed. He's been gelded during this winter and showed the benefit of that operation winning very easily at Warwich (9 Apr) on his seasonal debut even if he beat very little that day (still he wasn't even the favourite of that race). his next performance was at Newmarket 10 days later (19 Apr) in a Listed race (6f, good to soft) where he finished 5th of 10 in a race dominated by Mayson who is the favourite of the Duke of York (Group 2) later today. That wasn't a good performance for sure but he was not suited at all by the muddling pace and that's a problem he's not gonna face today for sure. This race has been won by a 4yo five times in the last seven years and five times in the last nine years by horses with one of the top three weights in the race so New Planet's profile looks good and at current prices I guess it's a very good idea to support a young horse that should still be able to prove himself better than this level especially after the gelding operation.

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas)

YORK ~BABY STRANGE 1PT E/W16/1
>PP
~Good solid run lto from poor draw and went well before that looks to be working upto a win and i've backed this horse a few times now hopefully with a bit of luck in running todays will be his day! There has been a few bob for it already. COMBI FC~ .15 BABY STRANGE~ TAJNEED~ KALDOUN KINGDOM~Tajneed trainer horses are starting to come back and always g in these race wile KK is always a danger in this sort of race hides know secrets but a place always possible with this tough horse claimer takes 7lb off helps,

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) 3.00 York MAYSON 4pts to win @ 9/2 bog (Betvictor) Improved a lot this season winning his last two starts in very nice style. This race was the main target since his comeback and couldn't be in better form. The dry night and the consequent good ground isn't a great news and could play in favour of Hoof It who is the class act of this race but even if he won back from a break here at York last year and is probably one of the best sprinters around in UK his stable have not been firing of late and I can't have him on his comeback at this price. The Cheka is the other big danger as he beat Mayson at Doncaster on their seasonal debut and could have come on from that and it's totally unexposed at this shorter trip (was always a 7f specialist). Still I'm going with the one who is for sure at the top of his form and is tailor made for this 6f sprint from a good draw.

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) 3.35 York MICA MIKA 2pts to win @ 6/1 bog Won very easily (eased down at the finish) at the Chester Festival last week and is 2lb ahead of the handicapper here racing with a 6lb penalty (due to go 8lb up for that success). Finished 1/4L second in a similar races here at York last here off a 4lb lower mark but with the 5lb claimer on board he's actually racing off a 1lb lower mark today. Should have a very good chance at a decent price.

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) lets have a go today .....some nice racing and very open so plenty of value available .... 2.00 york baby strange 83 kildoun kingdom 81 shropshire 81 ground conditions are a bit edgy at the moment but with shropshire the 7/1 fav in this race then the 20/1 and 28/1 available about baby strange and kildound kingdom is ridiculously good .both are capable of winning this on a good day ,kildoun kingdoms chance hinges on lucy barrys 7lbs claim which puts the horse on a very nice mark today but obviously she will have to ride out her skin to win such a competitive hcap but at 28/1 its worth the chance ,baby strange slips in on a nice low weight here and actually ran a cracker on the clock lto and with less weight definately has the ability if running 100% today ....20/1 is far too big for this horse baby strange 4pts win 20/1 bet365 kildoun kingdom 4pts win 29.0 betfair

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) 2.30 york twirl looks like the type of horse o brien can bring on but at a very short price i cant figure out why GOOD MORNING STAR is available at 16/1 when the front 2 are totally unproven over trip and arguably dont look like they want to step up in trip which means if they falter then the door is wide open and with good morning star already proven 7 days ago then he should make this pretty tough for the other horses and if there is a chink in the armour then he most likely to find it and at 16/1 in a 6 horse race its a bit of a no brainer .....chances are the fugue or twirl will win but too much value to ignore good morning star 1pt win 16/1 generally

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) 4.45 york nameitwhatulike 85 threeam tour 82 deepsand 82 grizzle 81 tough race but a lot to be liked about nameitwhatulikes recent win which looks very good on the clock and just a reproduction of that run would see him go close again ,of the others i like the look of deepsand who didnt look good in his comeback run but has always looked like a sub miler so the drop in trip should suit much better and his run over 7f last term is where his 82 rating came from so now he has had a run to blow the fluff off he could potentially spring a surprise at a big price nameitwhatulike 2pts win 9/1 skybet deepsand 2pts win 20/1 bet365

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) [TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR] [TD]Sport[/TD] [TD] Horse Racing [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Event[/TD] [TD] York 1:30 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Selection[/TD] [TD] Flag Officer [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Strength[/TD] [TD] 1/10 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Date[/TD] [TD] 16/05/2012 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Bookmaker/Price[/TD] [TD] Bet365 @ 0.00 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Reasoning[/TD] [TD] Been off since June of last year but can go well fresh placing first time out the past two seasons. This appears to be easier than what defeated him LTO and that was Sea Moon by 1 3/4 lengths who followed up with an 8 length victory in the Group 2 Great Voltigeur Stakes, 3rd in St Leger, and 2nd in the Breeders' Crup Turf. The selection does not have a rival who is capable of notching up a form like that. Godolphin also won this race in 2008 and 2009 (no runners the past two seasons). Trainer Saeed Bin Suroor trained the two winners and also the entry today. [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

[TR] [TD]Sport[/TD] [TD] Horse Racing [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Event[/TD] [TD] York 3:00 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Selection[/TD] [TD] Soul [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Strength[/TD] [TD] 1/10 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Date[/TD] [TD] 16/05/2012 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Bookmaker/Price[/TD] [TD] Bet365 @ 0.00 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Reasoning[/TD] [TD] Trainer Saeed Bin Suroor won this with Delegator last year. He has a runner making his British debut after having been found success in Australia and also in Dubai earlier this year. He was well beaten LTO at Meydan Park but that can be forgiven given that race was on Tapeta. The selection is a Turf horse and the race today suits him well. Turf form holds two wins from the last two runs. Group 2 winner over 6f for the Danehill Stakes in 2010. Acts on any type on grass, has won from Heavy and up to Good to Firm. Travelled really well on the Turf win at Meydan to win by 1 1/4 lengths; Tracked the leaders, made smooth progress from 3f out, led from 1f out comfortably. [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

[TR] [TD]Sport[/TD] [TD] Horse Racing [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Event[/TD] [TD] York 4:45 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Selection[/TD] [TD] Grizzle [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Strength[/TD] [TD] 1/10 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 150]Date[/TD] [TD] 16/05/2012 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Bookmaker/Price[/TD] [TD] Bet365 @ 0.00 [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Reasoning[/TD] [TD] Progressed well last year and off to a good start first time out this year. 2011 had a promising start with a 2nd at Newmkaret last Julyt then a 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 1st ending the year with an OR of 82. His first run this year was good for 2nd to Fourth of June by a neck. Consistent sort who should only get better this year. He is the only entry of the day from trainer Mahmood Al Zarooni who is currently in great form. His last three runners raced on the 15th (1st of 11), 12th (4th of 9), and 11th (2nd of 13). Prior to that he had no runner from the previous frou days (7th to the 10th). Al Zarooni had just 1 win from his first 15 runners this month but the short break have seen his form improve making him a trainer that is worth to follow...all week? [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) 1.50 Lingfield LEGAL LEGACY 4pts to win @ 3/1 bog (Bet365 and many more) Legal Leagacy won 5 races on the turf but ran very well this winter on the AW collecting 3 seconds. The 6yo chestnut gelding ran only 3 times over 1m on AW and finished twice second. The first second came at Kempton in January off 69 when he was an eye-catching finisher after a terrible start and was beaten only 1L by Prince Of Burma who won again next time out off a 6lb higher mark and is now rated 13lb higher. Legal Legacy's last second came over today's C&D in February off 74 (today's mark) when he was beaten 1.75L by Push Me and once again he was a very unlucky loser as he lost several lengths when completely fluffing the start and was switched widest with his strong finishing kick in the straight. After those nice efforts he was tried in a Listed at Doncaster (6th of 8) and came back on his level running bad on both his last outs. At Wolverhampton (12 Apr) over 8.5f (10th) when he pulled to hard and found nothing in the closing stage in what was a little hot class 5 handicap (off 74) with the last winner on his second next start, the 9th winner of his previous start and second next/last time out, the fifth coming from three wins in a row, the third able to win next time out in a better race off the same mark, the second who has finished second again next/last time out and the winner Red Somerset who has been firing all 2012 on the AW (5 wins and two seconds in his last 7 starts since January). Last time out (8 May) Legal Legacy made his debut on the Fibresand racing at Southwell over 7f (with the eye-shield on for the first time) and finished just 5th but that was a strange race with Alpha Tauri who made all getting a big lead soon after the start and keeping well till the finish and for Legal Legacy 7f is a trip too short and still he beat the disappointing and heavily gambled 6-4 favourite Only Ten Per Cent who was coming from 3 wins in a row over that C&D (bolting up last time out). So that was not a good performance but not disgraced over a trip that doesn't really suit him and probably he didn't appreciate that much both the Fibresand and the eye-shield (off today). Back on Polytrack Legal Legacy makes his debut in a claiming stake after he was 6th in a Listed just 6 weeks ago and on official BHA figures he's the one to beat here in a small 8-runner field which surely suit him with Hinton Admiral (who is a sprinter upped over 1m for just the second time in the last 4 years) and On The Cusp that should assure a big pace (which should be highly appreciated by a slow starter and quick finisher as Legal Legacy). Moreover the David Griffiths' yard have been in very good form of late with 2 winners from their last 3 runners during the last week, all on AW tracks.

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) 4.30 Lingfield IDOL DEPUTY 4pts to win @ 3/1 bog (Bet365 and many more) Won in impressive style last time out (27 Feb) at Wolvermhampton over 8.5f and a 6lb rise doesn't sound too difficult to face (recorded a TS of 71 and a RPR of 75 when winning last time out off 60) if in the same form after a 79-day break and should get his favourable good gallop to aim at in this race. Mark Usher's stable in red hot form at the moment (3 winners and a close second from their last 10 runners this month). The main danger should be Cyflymder who won over today's C&D on his second last start on the AW (off a 3lb lower mark) and finished 4th thrice in a row and second last time out all off today's mark of 65.

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) Would have posted this in the morning but was stuck on a train, my blog was set to update itself automatically so it solved that problem. Prices are just about the same anyway. Although on last time out form LABARINTO (13:30) wouldn’t have a chance, that run was all wrong for a yard that at the time, were out of sorts. That can’t be said now and returned to better ground and his optimum trip, I’m hoping for much better. He made solid progress in handicaps last season, rising from an opening mark of 87 to his current rating of 97, running some big races without a win over this 10f trip before finally succeeding off a mark of 93 at Goodwood. That was a performance of some note, especially as it came in a race that generally favoured those up with the pace and not many got into the race. The horse he beat was a decent yardstick and Labarinto looked destined for better things. Sent off a 7/2f for the Dubai Duty Free handicap at Newbury, he dropped away when chasing an overly quick pace, emphasised by the fact that the first four home all came from off the pace. It wasn’t overly encouraging but was definitely worth putting a line through, and his seasonal reappearance should attribute similar comments. Although a winner on soft ground in a Maiden, I don’t think it’s a surface that suits a horse with his action ideally and running on testing ground on reappearance can often find a horse out. That race was over a mile too, a trip on the sharp side and with the Sir Michael Stoute yard going notably poorly at that point in time, it’s fair to say he’ll have benefitted from the outing. Now back up in trip, on better ground, and for a yard now amongst the winners, it’s fair to say that better is definitely expected. He remains potentially a close to pattern-class animal on his form when winning at Goodwood and with reasonable excuses since then, he’s definitely worth chancing especially in a field where there isn’t an abundance of younger progressive types. Flag Officer would be the main danger on paper but he’s been off for a long while and I don’t particularly rate his trainer a great deal at this time of the year. Although not an outlandishly big price on first glance, I feel confident that we’re yet to see the best of Labarinto and off what still be a very generous mark, he’s worth backing into about the 9/2 mark. -- Although carrying top-weight in a sprint handicap isn’t ideal, NEW PLANET (14:00) has shown form to suggest he still retains plenty of his ability that he showed as a juvenile and after not an ideal three year old campaign, he still looks capable of running to around a level of 110 if getting a strongly run race which is more than likely in a big-field handicap such as this one. He’s far too big a price today and should be more like single figures, so he’s definitely worthy of a bet. He was highly tried as a juvenile, placing in a Group 2 at Doncaster and that subsequently made him difficult to place last season, especially when there’s a distinct lack of opportunities for sprinters of that age. He ran respectably in a handicap over this C&D off 5lbs higher, and in a Conditions event at Doncaster, but the season ended quite prematurely in late July and it seems that they’ve decided to save this horse for this campaign, where there’s an abundance of opportunities. Gelded in the meantime, he returned to winning ways first time out at Warwick, in what wasn’t the greatest of races. He did it well though and showed that he was perfectly capable of running to a decent level of form as an older horse. This was subsequently backed up when finishing 5th last time out in a listed contest. Although beaten by 5.75 lengths, the race was run at a very modest pace and New Planet got caught flat-footed and probably ran as well as he could in the circumstances. He does best when they go a nice pace and although there isn’t an abundance of front-runners in the race, with 20 runners going to post it is fair to say that they’ll likely go a fair clip. Although carrying a big-weight, I wouldn’t have said he’d be out of his depth at a couple of grades higher than this, and this has been a race where winners have gone on to be Group race animals, Hoof It and Borderlescott being two examples. New Planet is lightly-raced enough to have the scope to go on to a better grade than this and he’s far too big a price at these double-figure odds. He should be more like 9/1 in my book and he’s worthy of a 2pt bet, even though races like this are devilishly difficult to solve, given there could be draw and pace biases that only become known post-race. -- KING KURT (15:35) is 7lbs higher than his last winning mark but he still retains the scope to progress further at around this 1m4f trip. His reappearance effort should have put him spot on and I think a win from this mark is entirely possible, so he’s a horse worth following until he proves otherwise. Kevin Ryan’s charge was twice a winner in 2011, once at this 1m4f trip. His last victory came off 7lbs higher and it was a resounding success over 1m2f, where although he was slightly fortunate that the race panned out perfectly (was handy in a slowly-run race), he stayed on extremely strongly and looked a horse that could definitely be competitive off ratings much higher than the one he is currently at. He was well-beaten on his next two starts, but the second being in decent company and he probably ran as well as could have been expected. His final start of the 2011 campaign was a creditable one on soft ground over 1m5f. Although quite slowly run, it more or less proved that this trip was within range, as he had on occasions looked that he might not stay a strongly run contest at 1m4f. King Kurt’s seasonal reappearance was far from disgraceful and it’s entirely plausible that this big price has been attributed to that seemingly “poor run”. For a start, it was on really testing ground which for a seasonal reappearance is obviously not ideal. More patient tactics were employed and he was keen early on, and it’s fair to say he wasn’t knocked about in the closing stages. He still made a modicum of ground and with that run under his belt; I feel he’s definitely capable of further progression. He’ll stay the 1m4f trip, will likely appreciate the better ground today and he is still unexposed at these sorts of distance. A draw in stall 20 might not be seen as ideal but the winner of last year’s renewal came from a similarly wide berth and they have long enough to sort themselves out before meeting a bend. If he’s ridden more prominently today, which in a race with this sort of prize-money, would be more likely, a bold show is far from out of the equation. I think he is more than capable to run to a mark of 90 or so, and with his reappearance effort possibly setting him up for this sort of race, then he’s definitely worth a bet at a big price. I’d be taking prices up to about 10/1 or so for this one. Bets 13:30 York – Labarinto; 2pts @ 8/1 William Hill (bog) 14:00 York – New Planet; 2pts @ 16/1 William Hill (bog) 15:35 York – King Kurt; 2pts @ 16/1 Bet365, William Hill (bog)

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) 1.30 York - 2pts win Space War @ 16/1 (VC) Having woken up to see a little bit of money for this one, and the ground drying out, it seems to me that Michael Easterby's-charge has a fair chance here coming out of a good draw to boot. Although his strike rate is iffy (2-19), he goes well on flat tracks and has run with credit here twice before also. He didn't get the best luck in running here three starts ago when finishing well and was only beaten a head at Doncaster next time. Soft ground and the fact he'd been off the track for a while are fair excuses for his disappointing return to action at Thirsk last time, but good ground suits him here and he was only beaten 1/2l by a horse in a claimer here who was rated 5lbs superior, and my selection had to give that one a 1lb that day. Based on that and his narrow Doncaster miss, he can win off this mark and his last few runs with conditions to suit (like today) have been pretty good so I anticipate a decent run from this one.

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) 3.00 York - 2pts win Sirius Prospect @ 12/1 (Bet365) Hoof It is all the rage here and it's no surprise why given his progressive nature to the top level last season. However, both he and the classy Society Rock have absences to overcome and the latter especially tends to need his first run back. I hope that doesn't come to bite me because I've been a big fan of James Fanshawe's sprinter. But there's always scope for another sprinter to progress up the ranks and Dean Ivory's horse was impressive when winning handicaps and a listed event last time, and although Mayson is the one who has come out and improved this time around, my selection cosily beat that one last season at Doncaster and I can see Sirius Prospect bouncing right back at some point and it could be today - for all this is a very hot race. On his day he has a useful turn of foot and he won impressively on his only try on the Knavesmire before. Last year he needed a few runs to hit top form and he is a bit of a bulky, powerful horse so it's no surprise really. I foolishly backed him on his return this year and he didn't fire, and although he showed a little bit more last time out at Newmarket, he still wasn't showing his old sparkle. However, he'll have come on again for that and I don't think he had the ideal track position that day. It's too early to give up on him and now he should be tightened up, he can go well back on a track that suits ideally.

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) 3.35 York - 3pts win The Fun Crusher @ 6/1 (Bet365) Tim Easterby loves a winner at York and he has a very interesting runner for this 1m4f handicap and I don't think he's badly handicapped off a mark of 80 with only two runs under his belt so far. Although the horses he beat on debut haven't come out and done a huge amount since, he did well to recover from a slow start and at odds of 33/1 came through to lead late on. He was obviously going to come on for the run and he did beat horses rated in the 70s. He was off the track until returning to Doncaster recently and put in a really promising seasonal return in a race full of experienced handicappers. He stayed on in the closing stages behind a nice winner and the way that the 2nd, 3rd and 4th horses have since run well suggests the race is standing up nicely. He'll have come on for that both in terms of experience and fitness, and although David Allan has a job on to get a reasonable position from stall 17, if he can do so, he'll be staying on at the finish I think up the long straight and could take a bit of beating on what is just his third start on the racecourse.

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) Not the best of starts. Not feeling too bad though. Picking them okay with the last three BBOTDs being 14/1 and 1 win, 1 beaten a head in 2nd and 1 4th in a 16+ runner field. Shouldn't have really gone for one in that race, though, I guess! Hope The Fugue can boost my Oaks ante-post bet now. But the market is concerning me.

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) YMIR 2.50 Lingfield. 1 point win. Likes this surface and trip, and should have the race run to suit. Appears to be pretty consistent, and despite the handicapper putting him up a pound for finishing 3rd, it does still give him every chance of going close today. Guillambert knows this track well and so all in place for a big effort. 11/1 Bet365 BOG

Re: Flat Racing 16th May (York, Lingfield, Bath & Naas) 4.45 York - 2pts win Three Am Tour @ 8/1 (Bet365) Richard Hannon's horses appear to be coming into their usual hot form and this one looks an interesting runner here who still has scope for improvement after just four starts to date. 7f here should be right up his street on track evidence and he has form linked in with some useful types. Having beaten a useful yardstick of Godolphin's on debut, he ran on ground possibly too soft over in Ireland when not beaten far by horses rated in the 90s. That proved to be a good maiden and he came out of it with plenty of credit. Things didn't really go to plan for him at Kempton over a mile next time - trip probably a furlong too far, and the race not run to suit. Again it was a decent affair though. And he was a long way clear with a nice type on his seasonal return when going down narrowly and with expected improvement for the ground and with the run under his belt, he can definitely win off this mark and should run a cracker.