Next Aston Villa manager

Re: Next Aston Villa manager Thought we might as well have a thread for this as new manager markets are often a lot of fun. Mick McCarthy is today's "steamer" having been backed in from 33/1 to favourite. :unsure Lambert and Martinez are the only other front runners at present, but given the Villa chief exec has just spoken publicly about the need to "reinvigorate" the club and "bring some vibrancy back", I'd hazard a guess that they remain more likely candidates than dour old Mick. :loon Much fun to be had with the lay button on Betfair until this is resolved, but if anyone has any opinions or "inside knowledge" from their brother in law's, milkman's, neighbour's, cousin who knows someone who works for the club, then feel free to get a discussion going. :ok

Re: Next Aston Villa manager It wont be McCarthy. After the backlash of appointing a moron who got our local rivals relegated last year Learner will not make the same mistake again. He has already said he needs a manager to please the fans. I also dont expect Lambert or Martinez, as Learner paid Birmingham millions to get 'Eck and no doubt a fortune to sack him. Id look at a manager perhaps without a job, that will be accepted. AVB, ranieri, Di Matteo at chelsea may have a big shift in price after Munich.

Re: Next Aston Villa manager Looking at the top 3 in the betting and you could easily lay all 3 - Lambert 13/8, McCarthy 2/1 & Martinez 11/4. All skybt. Lambert and Martinez would require compensation and McCarthy doesn't suit the job criteria. The added complication of the WBA post being up for grabs also helps the lay. Could be worth looking at backing McCarthy for the WBA position with a mind to laying off when the rumour mill focuses on him. I can see it going to someone not currently in a job, the likes of Benitez, Ranieri (not sure if he would want the job) Curbishley or even an ex player like Southgate (if he can sell himself). Or another candidate like the new Wolves boss, that came out of nowhere. As already mentioned by western, unless you have heard something from your 3rd cousin removed there is no point in backing any of the favourites at those prices. For a bit of interest some of the outsiders could be worth a small punt if you have a different angle, e.g Benitez, I think still has a home close to Liverpool, which is definitely clutching at straws but you get my drift.

Re: Next Aston Villa manager I think if the Villa board appointed Mick McCarthy the fans would literally burn the place to the ground. They have to appoint a big name.... not convinced they won't pay for it either... I think the Villa fans will demand a well respected figure. If that requires paying off someone like Wigan for Martinez then I could see that happening.

Re: Next Aston Villa manager Southgate no chance, we hate him down the villa! Your right though, we need a manager who has respect, a fresh start and take us forward again. McCarthy is asking for trouble like McLeish did. Ranieri is the man for the job, and with him saying he would be interested, worth a punt.

Re: Next Aston Villa manager personally think LAmbert will take this on as a new challenge, he is not particularly loyal and the wages will be far higher than Norwich at a so called bigger club he has nothing to prove at Nawwich now so i think he could be tempted mcCarthy will get a championship job if one comes up Martinez is destined for big things, maybe even liverpool !!

Re: Next Aston Villa manager

Southgate no chance, we hate him down the villa!

Since when do we hate him down the Villa? Southgate was one of the finest stalwarts we ever had down the Villa. Every single week for the ten years he was there, he gave 100%, when often many around him was not. he was a fine captain and a credit to himself and the club! He spent much of his time( in harmony with the fans ) telling Ellis to open the purse strings and get a team there, get some creativity! Every time it came contract time he reiterated his feelings, was given promises and then was let down. The team stagnated and he ( after many years trying to reinvigorate a team he was passionate about ) jumped ship! I'll tell you now what I said then. " I dont bloody blame you and thanks for the passion and commitment you showed this club!" Respect.

Re: Next Aston Villa manager

personally think LAmbert will take this on as a new challenge, he is not particularly loyal and the wages will be far higher than Norwich at a so called bigger club he has nothing to prove at Nawwich now so i think he could be tempted mcCarthy will get a championship job if one comes up Martinez is destined for big things, maybe even liverpool !!
I'm not the only one that thinks the Martinez love is over the top. He beat United, Liverpool (along with Fulham and WBA) and Arsenal, but other than that, it's his third consecutive season where they've just avoided the drop. Paul Lambert cruises to safety in his first ever season at the top, and with smaller resources. Mick McCarthy does pretty much the same job as Martinez and gets fired :loon He gets Wigan to seventh, then perhaps I'll start talking about him as Liverpool potential.

Re: Next Aston Villa manager Hi all, as you may well know I am a massive Villa fan and so glad Mcleish has gone!!! Negative manager with little in the way of an endearing personality, especially as he came from our rivals! et I have already placed a crisp digital £20 (the max skybet would allow) on Karl Robinson @ 28-1. The reasoning for this is that although much higher rated managers are linked, Robinson has done all he can in league 1, has experience at Chelsea in the prem and plays 'vibrant' attacking football and is also a remarkably likeable bloke. I feel the last thing we need is a Lambert coming in, he has a penchant for taking championship players into the prem and making it work. As a given this is probably due to the budget at Norwich and working within his means but I think it would be at best a sidewards move, there are better manages out there, 4/9 as i type is a bit of a Bookies trap going on recent speculation and our fans doing their best to 'sign him up' on the last game of our season at Carrow Road!!! If lambert isn't the man than the other likely lads pop up, Martinez, the man that turned us down this time last year and seemingly we are now in a worse situation= less appeal than before! Also with Dalglish given his retirement he is heavily linked there now! ( seriously lads, if you are a decent layer on betfair, lay the S**t out of this manager market, its a joke!) Then we get onto decent odds, as for the statement we put out earlier this week we are looking for a vibrant manager to take us forward, so thats old Mick out of the reckoning, what a fools price drop that was yesterday!!! The likes of Southgate etc are rubbish, we want a manager in the groove already or recently departed from a club, no more mistakes are afforded on the Villa board now! The foreign contingent come into play but ranieri, Benitez, Villas Boas etc have their reps intact so dont see them taking a chance on us ( or us on them it has to be said!!) To sum up so far the 'fans choice' is Martinez but dont see him coming myself. Lambert is also clearly the supposed man for the job but stranger things have happened in football than him stating his desire to manage the ' lets be avin ya' mob for at least another year. Once these posabilities occur we come to the scraping the barrel time where anyone from big Ron to Paul Merson are linked due to the fact they were once employed by us!!!! If this does become the case then 28-1 on Robinson becomes a snip because he is the best choice for us beyond the prem in my opinion. Good luck all!!!!!!