P Hanagan

We all know Paul Hanagan has very little experience on top class horses but why is he not riding the fancied Abtaal in the 2000 Guineas on Saturday for his owner Hamdan al Maktoum , I am aware that the horse is trained in France and that he will be ridden by the multiple Gr1 winning jockey C Soumillon but why isn't PH riding this one . Instead he will be on a 66/1 outsider. I would very much like to see him at the decent meetings on decent horses , hopefully he will get a ride for the first time in the Epsom Derby this year . I have had small with Laddies that he will ride a Gr1 this year too which is also a reason for me to see him do well. I hope his retainer with the owner is not like the one of R Hughes/ K Abdulla where the decent horses were ridden by proven top class jockeys. On many occasions R Hughes rode the second string / pacemakers in the decent races. At one point Hughes didn't ride any of his owners horses if they were trained by M Stoute / H Cecil/ A fabre .

Re: P Hanagan Good lord, give the fella a chance! You were slating him a few months ago for being the shittest champion jockey because he tended to ride in lower grades and now that he's took your criticism on board and landed a cushty role with higher profile outfits you're on his back again because he's not riding their top horse! I think you may have answered your question already - Soumillon is a proven Gr1 jockey. I'm sure Hanagan will get his chance soon.

• 2 months later...

Re: P Hanagan Looking at the race again , I think Saturdays July Cup was probably one of the worst Gr1's in recent history plus the heavy going in July contributed to the main protagonists not performing well. Nevertheless it will go down in the record book that Paul Hanagan has won a Gr1.

• 9 months later...

Re: P Hanagan

We all know Paul Hanagan has very little experience on top class horses but why is he not riding the fancied Abtaal in the 2000 Guineas on Saturday for his owner Hamdan al Maktoum , I am aware that the horse is trained in France and that he will be ridden by the multiple Gr1 winning jockey C Soumillon but why isn't PH riding this one . Instead he will be on a 66/1 outsider. I would very much like to see him at the decent meetings on decent horses , hopefully he will get a ride for the first time in the Epsom Derby this year . I have had small with Laddies that he will ride a Gr1 this year too which is also a reason for me to see him do well. I hope his retainer with the owner is not like the one of R Hughes/ K Abdulla where the decent horses were ridden by proven top class jockeys. On many occasions R Hughes rode the second string / pacemakers in the decent races. At one point Hughes didn't ride any of his owners horses if they were trained by M Stoute / H Cecil/ A fabre .
A year on and Hamdan al Maktoum is still apprehensive about putting his stable jockey up in the top races. What's the point in having a retained jockey if he doesn't get the chance in Gr1s. I know Pat Smullen is a multiple Gr1 winning jockey And he is stable jockey to D Weld but as John Dunlop said last year, the first jockey should be riding the first string, and not riding an outsider for a different owner. I hope Hamdan al Maktoum gives the kid a chance in the coming months. Maybe this time next year we'll see him have a ride in the Guineas.