** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Notecaddy + Other tools for playing online cash poker

GaF

I've never got around to getting on top of notecaddy - and I have the feeling it is a huge loss for me in not being on top of it. But then I was thinking that I havent really gotten on top of HEM2 yet either, or got my HUD how I want to get it. And I have the feeling that is a huge loss for me in not being on top of it. I'd even like to be able to independantly interrogate my HEM database, to give me information I would like (that is not available in the HUD). I'd have to learn new skills to do this, and it wouldn't be 5 minutes! And I have the feeling that is a huge loss for me in not being on top of it. Additionally I've got an ever expanding list of all the wonderful things I'd love to do with AHK that would help. And I have the feeling that is a huge loss for me in not being on top of it. Like it or not - online poker is absolutely about live information, and your ability to access it, understand it and utilise it - which is only achievable through use of the various software that is (and isn't) widely available. But it takes an enormous amount of time to get on top of this, especially if you need to learn programming skills as well to achieve what you need to achieve. But I want to play! I devote my playing time to playing! When I KNOW that I should be devoting a significant portion of it to development. I make money playing poker. If I'm not playing, then the time spent not playing is costing me money. But if I developed, I'm sure I could be more profitable whilst I am playing. I've always felt that if someone like Datapunter got into online poker, then they could just print as much money as they wanted! I'm curious how others here manage to get the right balance between playing and development - how do you go about ensuring that you have time to develop your tools (and your game)? Has anyone here got on top of Notecaddy? Is it as significantly important as I perceive it probably should be?

Re: Notecaddy + Other tools for playing online cash poker I did write a little 'bot' once, (actually ages ago), more for the fun of it than anyhing else, just wanted to see it work. It worked by scanning the screen and recognising patterns based on pixel colour. When connected to an AI it can also press buttons for you and enter text by basically taking over the mouse and keyboard. So instead of you pressing a button on the screen the bot does it for you. Since it works on your local PC and totally independend from anything else it really is undetectable. So something like that is within the reach of amateur programmers. Just takes a huge amount of time to create and complete. For those familiar with the Java programming environment the basic object used is this: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/1.4.2/docs/api/java/awt/Robot.html if the link doesn't work google "java robot class" p.s. so now i'm posting in poker forums, wtf is happening to me, thanks gaf :unsure

Re: Notecaddy + Other tools for playing online cash poker With regards to Bots - there's programs available that can do it for you (I presume it is the interface and you just need to define the play logic). Or to do it yourself, I imagine it would be totally straightforward with Autohotkeys. Don't believe its undetectable though. I think the pokersites can work it out, with differing levels of dilligence. Pokerstars would get you. iPoker would turn a blind eye. But I'm not really talking about bots - I'm talking about approved and allowed software. In respect to being "boring" - I hear you, but there are ways of reducing that: - Multitabling - Zoom Poker - Heads Up (you're involved in every hand and have frequent decisions) I play mostly heads up now, and I find Full Ring/6max so very slow and boring in comparison. (And I lose through impatience!) The other aspect - if you havent played a lot - maybe when you tried it you weren't thinking deeply enough and considering enough (because you didn't have the experience or knowledge) and that when you got into it and really understood it, then the depth of thought and considerations would make it more interesting? p.s. No worries - welcome to the world of poker :p

Re: Notecaddy + Other tools for playing online cash poker

I'd even like to be able to independantly interrogate my HEM database, to give me information I would like (that is not available in the HUD). I'd have to learn new skills to do this, and it wouldn't be 5 minutes! And I have the feeling that is a huge loss for me in not being on top of it.
I've spent a lot of time over the yrs going through my database, studying individuals, studying how flops turns and rivers are played, how board texture affects things etc. etc. but still every so often i would completely forget how to play poker well. That meant i had to go through it all again and i've done that many many times. Only the last 5 months i'd say i've barely studied a single HH, barely looked at any video etc. but it has been the best months of my 'career'. Now i've played a 100k hands in a few weeks but have barely looked at any of those sessions in detail. The reason is i know exactly what i've done right and wrong every session. The reason is for months i'd sort my session by position and see if there were any positional flaws, then i'd look by hands won/lost and see if there were any obvious flaws. When you do that enough, consistently, diligently, then it gets to the point where all you need is confidence. The point is not to stop studying and everything will work out, the point is you need the foundations of knowing what is right and wrong, what is good and what is bad, what is marginal, what is variance etc. And that all comes by studying, a lot, then when you've done that enough and start seeing the right results that you expect then you gain more confidence and it's like a roundabout of success. You know you've put the work, the foundations in, so when the results come you know it's not luck, it's because you know what's right and what's wrong. Basically the more work you put in now, today, will be less work you have to put in 6months from now. You have to have a passion for the knowledge though. Nobody can open up a HEM database and advanced filter through players individual stats for hours on end (like i did) unless they have the passion to know what the numbers are, to know what people are doing, and why. It can be a pain in the ass because studying takes time, you have to get over that mental barrier of thinking 'damn i could be here hrs looking at these hands/numbers and find nothing or be more confused then when i started.' You have to have the passion to find the numbers, like they're lost inca tombs, you have to go digging to find that gold. If anyone has any questions about how/what to study then fire away.

Re: Notecaddy + Other tools for playing online cash poker

If anyone has any questions about how/what to study then fire away.
Thanks Tom :ok Have you any experience with Notecaddy? That's the thing that has REALLY piqued my interest at the moment. (prior to having spent any time looking at it at all) The default settings seem utter nonsense, but its an application that I feel I can really see the potential of and feel "I get" what its trying to do in theory, I've just no idea if it really works in practice. I think glancing at this thread on 2plus2 is what reawakened my interest in it, and got me wondering (again) if I spend enough time looking into these things! http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/164/cash-game-poker-coach-listings/notecaddyadvantage-coaching-custom-def-alan-jackson-pack-hm1-hm2-setup-speed-up-pcs-more-1173394/

Re: Notecaddy + Other tools for playing online cash poker I have no experience with notecaddy, however what i'll say is if a person plays bad then it matters 0% how many notes they have on someone as it will be the wrong notes for the wrong reasons. Notecaddy i assume gives the notes for you, which is fool-proof except a) you'll be reyling 100% on stats b) your game may stagnate meaning you lose edges in a ton of other areas. Also another thing is bad-regs are the new fish. They're called bad-regs as even though they have all the stats, they will make a bad play every 100 hands for example. They can have all the stats, hands, notes everything but if they don't have the mental application and discipline to play well every hand then they will still lose simple as that. Notecaddy looks like something i should definitely take a look, but i'd put a warning out that for less experienced players out there who don't know their own game inside and out to not look to rely on stats and notes. To take full advantage of these programmes you need to know your own game extensively, why you play all the hands you play in all the situations and for what reasons. What i'm saying is, like before people can have all the stats, notes etc but theres no be all and end all magic wand out there.

Re: Notecaddy + Other tools for playing online cash poker Agree with what you say :ok My impression of notecaddy is that it is fully customisable notes (and badges) - which means it can effectively just be a list of your opponents leaks, which you obviously still need to know how to take advantage of!

Re: Notecaddy + Other tools for playing online cash poker Seems like you have to purchase NC and then 'advanced' packages at extra cost to actually get the full benefit of the program. Have been playing around with NC and have watched videos on it and nothings convincing me its worth spending more money on it due to the complexity of it i don't think it's worth the time or cost just for a handful of extra useful stats.

Re: Notecaddy + Other tools for playing online cash poker Cheers Nade :ok You've put me off there (I've got the simplified version that comes "free" with HM) I had no idea that you couldn't just buy it and they'd then keep hitting you for extras :sad

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Re: Notecaddy + Other tools for playing online cash poker I bought notecaddy and notecaddyadvantge a little while ago. Its definately useful stuff but I havn't come close to using it properly as you need to have it hard wired into the way you play. It did however make me think about different spots/stats I was using a lot and has definately helped me become a better player just because of that (this won't be the case for everyone I am sure). Everything in these packages can be done yourself so they aren't really 'hitting you for extras', just saving you a lot of time. I think basic notecaddy is definately worth the money if you are playing any sort of volume.

Re: Notecaddy + Other tools for playing online cash poker i started out with Notecaddy Advantage, but they were kind of a trainwreck as far as support and organization. so i ended up switching to Notecaddy Edge, and they have really been on top of things as far as updates, and support. also Edge was a flat $99, as Advantage ended up costing some guys quite a lot of money. But like you said, i'm still trying to adapt it all into my play. there are a few features i use quite a lot, but others i'm still trying to figure out.