** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

F1 2012 Drivers Championship

Sir Puntalot

Re: F1 2012 Drivers Championship Latest best prices: Vettel: 2/1 in a few places Alonso: 11/2 at Skybet and Bet365 Hamilton: 6/1 in a few places Button: 9/1 in a few places Webber: 14/1 in a few places Massa is as high as 100/1 - shows how far behind Alonso he is in all departments from team bias to race pace.

Re: F1 2012 Drivers Championship

Raikonnen as low as 15.00 Skybet is surely madness?
I notice he has now gone up to 32, it did indeed seem madness especially considering Lotus had just missed the second group test session because of car problems, and Kimi has been out for two years! He was the same odds as Webber in a Red Bull....
Massa is as high as 100/1 - shows how far behind Alonso he is in all departments from team bias to race pace.
Want Massa to do well, but sadly a more relevant market for him is probably rather he keeps his seat for 2013 - no easy feat with potentially Messrs Kubica, Webber, Perez, Bianchi and a host of others being linked with it.... One I wanted to get in as the final group test starts at Barcelona today: 3 Pts, Season Match Bet, P. Maldonado to beat B.Senna, 2.00, William Hill I heard something on a podcast a while back that made me look more at this bet. The news was that Williams will be running young Finn Vatterli Bottas, their test driver, in 15 Friday practice sessions this season. Nothing many teams haven't done at some point, but what struck me as unusual was that Bottas will be taking Bruno Senna's place on all 15 occasions, and not the place of the other driver, Pastor Maldonado. With the ban on in season testing this year only slightly relaxed (there is one group test in May, although this takes the place of a pre-season group test), free practice is more important than it was as the first chance to test and get used to new car developments on track, as well as working on set up. There are 3 free practice sessions before qualifying, so Senna is losing out on a fair chunk of practice time compared to Maldonado, 15 out of 60 in the year. I notice at the last group test they gave Bottas a day in Senna's place as well, although I don't know if this will be reversed at the last group test. I do think Senna is a good driver, but regradless of the practice time I think he will have a hard time with Maldonado anyway. I think Maldonado is a bit underrated because he is very obviously a 'pay driver' who if not for PDVSA finance would not have replaced the talented Nico Hulkenburg at Williams at the end of 2010. But he is typical of the new 'better class of pay driver' who brings cash, while not being a complete joke like some of the pay drivers we had in the sport 20 years ago. Maldonado is a GP2 champion, and outqualified Rubens Barrichello 10-9 at Williams last year, and by my counting was only beaten by Barrichello narrowly, 7-5, in races they both finished. Given that Rubens had beaten Hulkenburg the previous season it was not to be sniffed at, and of course doing 2011 will have given Maldonado a head start over Senna in being used to the Williams team and having his feet under the table. Meanwhile Senna only did a few races for Renault, being outqualified by his teammate Vitaly Petrov 5-3 (a pretty good effort given the testing restrictions) but I notice being beaten by Petrov 4-1 in the races. And in 2010, when he was driving for HRT at the back of the grid, although he beat his various teamates more often than not (12-6 in qualifying) there was a bit of surprise when Christian Klien, who hireto hadn't shown much outstanding form in Formula One, nor had much time in the car, came in for the last 3 races and outqualified Senna twice. So I think Senna's price in this match up (1.73) is a bit low given we haven't had a chance to find out how he is against an established driver for a full season, he has the track time disadvantage and Maldonado looks reasonable and has been at the team for a year. With the above in mind, I was looking for a price of 2.00 or above on Maldonando. I was wanting to hang on, as not many bookies seemed to have offered markets on the Williams driver match up, and see if they would. However, I noticed Maldonado set a very fast time on low fuel at the last test, and although I think it is irrlevant, if Maldonado and Williams are in the habit of doing this I was worrying it might acutally bring this price down, So I am plumping for it now, and hoping 'Pastor is faster' than Bruno ;)

Re: F1 2012 Drivers Championship I`ll be honest i have no knowledge of F1,but know someone who does...Mercedes are going to go real well this season,they have something on their car that no one else has,this fella gave me Brawn (sp) when they done the business 14/1 constructers and Rosburg around 20/1,i believe the constructers was around the 20/1 mark a week ago

http://odds-comparison.bestbetting.com/motor-sport/formula-1/drivers-championship/ Vettel best priced 2.00 at Paddys, Ladbrokes and others Alonso 7.00 at Bet365 Hamilton 7.00 at BetVictor Button 12.00 at 10bet Webber 16.00 at 10bet Schumacher 30.00 @ Unibet Raikonnen as low as 15.00 Skybet is surely madness?
Raikonnen currently a best price 28/1 at Victor Chandler generally available at 20s.I feel the 28s could be quite big. Lotus have a good car this year and with Raikonnen behind the wheel I expect them to be challenging. Sent from my HTC Desire using PL Forum

• 2 weeks later...

Not long now till the off in Melbourne! One more to add before first practice in a few hours and it's a spread bet: 0.1pt per point, Buy Williams Constructors points, 25-30, Sporting Index Williams wouldn't have come close to this last year, where they scored 5 points, an atrocious year. But there are quite a few differences with Williams this year. They now have a Renault engine instead of a Cosworth, which is reportedly a more compact engine, which will allow Williams to exploit fully the aerodynamic advantage of their smaller gearbox that they debuted last year, which apparently the big air box needed for the Cosworth was obstructing. Another thing the Cosworth did not allow was exhaust blowing, which competitor teams for Williams like Force India were able to exploit very well. But it's banned this year so a negative for Williams last year is now out of the equation. Additionally, Williams have parted company with techincal director Sam Micheal, and hired Mike Coughlan, Mark Gillian and Jason Somerville. Don't know much about Gillan and Somerville but Coughlan, who granted is a massively controversial appointment given his involvement in the spygate scandal a few years ago,does have pedigree designing race winners for Mclaren so I think he can do a good job with the car. I'm confident Williams for these reasons will improve on the annus mirablis of last year. If they can vault right back into the tough midfield battle, with tyre wear and strategy going to be a big factor again, they certainly won't score points every race, but the ones that go well they can get in that top 10 and be scoring points were last year they were just to far off the pace and a really good race could mean 12th. 20 races, two cars, and being in the midfield should really take Williams above the 30 mark and nearer the around 50 midfielders Toro Rosso and Sauber teams have been priced.

And finally...... 2pts L.Hamilton to win Drivers World Championship, 6.6,Betfair. 2pts J.Button to win World Championship,8,Betfair. I don't really pay attention to the testing times before a season because we don't know what fuel loads the teams are running. What I do pay attention to is the impressions of formula one experts watching the testing by the side of the track. The opinions I have read indicate that the Mclaren is very near to the red bull, being on a par with the rb8 in fast corners, although still giving away a little in slower corners and traction. Remember although Vettel dominated last year in wins and poles, many were not dominant in themselves, like Spain or Monaco, so Mclaren don't have as much to make up as it might seem from Vettels trophy tally from last year. With Vettel at around 2.5, the odds gap is very big big to two great drivers in a car that looks like it handles near the red bull.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Re: F1 2012 Drivers Championship Current best prices in order of drivers championship standings: Alonso 111pts - 9/4 BetFred Webber 91pts - 16/1 in a few places Hamilton 88pts - 4/1 in a few places Vettel 85pts - 11/4 Coral Rosberg 75pts - 40/1 Bet365 and SportingBet Raikkonen 73pts - 16/1 in a few places Grosjean 53pts - 33/1 in a few places Button 49pts - 40/1 in a few places Now, this season has been wide open so far when it comes to race winners and that explains why there is no clear leader at the top like in previous years but I am increasingly tempted to get involved with Vettel. Had his car not let him down in Valencia he would be top of the standings and a lot shorter in price as a result. He showed good pace there and, for me, has clear advantages over his rivals on paper. Hamilton can't be trusted when mixing it to gain positions and, despite Alonso's win in Valencia, Ferrari aren't yet convincing me they are ready to compete more consistently on Saturday's and Sunday's. Webber is the clear number 2 at Red Bull. If Button was around the 85 point mark like Vettel I would expect him to go with the German for the title but I think he is too far behind and is clearly having issues with the car. I think 11/4 is a bit of value but I wouldn't advise going in too big because of the amount of teams who are challenging at the top of the grid. I have a few more days to think about it before Silverstone starts. What does everyone else think at this stage of the season? Who do you favour?