** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Wed 5.15: Wetherbys Champion Bumper

Re: Wed 5.15: Wetherbys Champion Bumper A lot of trainers do not like this race, I personally do as a spectacle. British trainers have won the last two with Cheltenian and Cue Card, but the Irish on the whole have an excellent record in the race, and I backed one today in the race, Venture Capital at 16/1. He has raced once in December but the form of the Bumper looks very good with the third going on to easily beat Champagne Fever (third in that race also hacked up NTO), who is somehow shorter with some in the betting for the race. He looks an early value call to me for the race.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Wed 5.15: Wetherbys Champion Bumper Venture Capitals form given another good boost on Saturday in Ireland. Also backed New Years Eve at 25s. Fergason has some good bumper sorts and I hear this one is his best and will go for the race

Re: Wed 5.15: Wetherbys Champion Bumper Backed Gevrey Chambertin at 20/1 just after his Ffos Las run, dont think he will go now. Looks a stunning horse like his brother (Grands Cruz). Pipe may put him away till next year but i will be keeping an eye on this one.

Re: Wed 5.15: Wetherbys Champion Bumper I have backed a couple of Ferguson's for this. Got Trespasser at 25/1 and New Years Eve at 40/1. New Year's Eve has an entry at Newbury on Saturday. Think they have been trying to get a run into this horse as he has missed out twice already. I quite like Moscow Mannon as well

• 1 month later...

Re: Wed 5.15: Wetherbys Champion Bumper Moscow Mannon has been moving steadily into favouritism for this race and he has good credentials - The race seems a bit open again this year (LOL when is'nt it) But worth backing hearing good things about this horse.

Re: Wed 5.15: Wetherbys Champion Bumper The one I like is a decent price - 33/1 (Lads) - and reminds me of Cue Card winning the other year at 40/1. The horse in question is Cool George and is a 4yr old the same as Cue Card was. He's also had just the 1 start, in January, like the Tizzard horse. Both won their races easily, with the form receiving a couple of franks before the Cheltenham race came about. In Cool George's case he has absolutely sauntered home at Exeter, another very undulating track like Cheltenham, by what looked a big 9L from Umadachar, carrying 10lbs more. Umadachar came out next time and won a low-grade Mares Maiden bumper before running again on Saturday in Sandown's Listed Mares Bumper Final. She's went down by a neck getting 8lbs, which, to me, makes Cool George's margin of victory on slightly worse terms look really rather good. As I said, he's 33/1 for the Cheltenham race, and that looks a lot too big to me.

Re: Wed 5.15: Wetherbys Champion Bumper Am with Samba all the way in this one, Cool George is a very nice horse and has been tucked away for this race, connections know he's good and i really do hope they get their day. I have also taken out some insurance with NEW YEARS EVE, ran twice won both and is a TOOL of a horse. New years Eve's last race, you make up your own mind. http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video/Racing/0,27770,483808,00.html

Re: Wed 5.15: Wetherbys Champion Bumper 5.15 Cheltenham - 1pt win Ifandbutwhynot @ 40/1 (Ladbrokes) Terrifically difficult heats to examine, these bumpers, but this one has form in the book, and conditions should suit better today. He's a tad overpriced, and has a good chance of trading lower in the run. This horse joined David O'Meara last October, and wasn't expected to do much in his debut in this country at Uttoxeter, but ran a very creditable 3rd after a break, keeping on having been hampered in the run. The winner is a smart 135-rated novice over hurdles and the runner-up was a decent bumper horse himself, so it was a good effort. He improved again to impressively land a Newcastle bumper on good ground by 9l - beating a subsequent novice hurdle winner on that one's next start. He travelled superbly again at Ascot last time on softer ground, but raced quite keenly, and he started to feel the pinch late on. He looked like the winner turning in, but faded to be 4th late on. However, he wasn't beaten far, and the winner won another listed event next time out, with the 2nd cruising to success on his hurdling debut. The form looks strong, and the quicker pace here and better ground looks sure to suit. He travels like a good horse, and it wouldn't surprise me if he outran his price here today. Worth a small punt, anyway.