** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Snooker: Premier League 2011

kevshat

The Premier League returns on Thursday night and it brings with it a new format. This year there's 10 entrants and rather than everyone playing everyone which would take forever each qualifying night will feature 4 men and they will play semi finals and a final over the best of 5 frames each night. Each player will take part in four of the weekly qualifying nights. Dead frames aren't played and each frame won will go towards the league table so the most a player can win is 24 frames (for winning his semi final and final on all 4 nights) and the least is 0. At the end of the 10 weeks the top 4 go through to the playoffs. As usual in the Premier League the shot clock rules come into play where players have 20 seconds (as opposed to the 25 of previous seasons) to play their shot. Should a match go to a deciding frame we'll be at Shootout rules. Anyone who didn't watch that event it's basically 15 seconds a shot for the first 5 minutes of the frame and 10 seconds after it. 10 minutes for the frame and whoever leads at the end of the 10 minutes wins the frame unless the frame has already been concluded by then. Some quirky other rules too like ball in hand for fouls in the shootout frame and in the 'normal' frames instead of being allowed to miss and miss when snookered if a players misses 3 times it's then ball in hand. I'm sure I've missed some rules out but they are all in this article: http://www.premierleaguesnooker.com/news/premier_league_set_for_brand_new.htm The tournament is always played in front of good crowds and there's decent moolah to be won and so the players are always up for it so it should be a decent watch and will probably provide some betting opportunities throughout the course of the season.

Re: Snooker: Premier League 2011 One outright for me in this tournament. 1pt ew J.Trump to win Premier League Snooker 8/1 Boylesports (1/2 1,2) I know it's often folly taking on Ronnie O'Sullivan in this format but one man who fits the format almost as well as the Rocket is young Judd Trump. The format is almost perfect for him. He won't have to change the pace of his game to fit in with the shot clock because he's a quick player anyway, he loves attacking and he'll have some packed houses to entertain which we saw in Sheffield he loves doing. I really think you will need to be aggressive in the Premier League this year to be triumphant and there's very few in the game as aggressive as Trump at the minute. He arrives to this tournament in good nick having steamrollered the field at the PTC last week and all things being equal he looks an excellent each way bet. If he can make the top 4 he'll take all the beating in the playoffs and so I'll prefer Judd to Ronnie at 3 times the price.

Re: Snooker: Premier League 2011 2 for tonight. 3pts J.Higgins to win Week 1 11/10 VC Looking at the draw tonight you could be excused for assuming John Higgins is already in the final this evening. Jimmy White still entertains but his game isn't getting through the qualifiers for ranking events let alone beating the world champion on a big stage. I won't go as far as to say he's in the final but I would be surprised if he doesn't make the final. Then the question is would we take being on Higgins at 11/10 against either Robertson or Stevens. I would. He won't be that big against either. I don't think Higgins will necessarily win this event because he isn't the best at seeing the shot instantly which is what is required here but none of the 4 tonight are with the exception of Jimmy and it's one thing him seeing the shot it's another for him to successfully play them. There isn't a Ronnie, Judd, Williams or Ding to be seen tonight so it should come down to a straight up snooker contest. Higgins is the best player in the world right now so I'll take him to prevail at odds against. 3pts M.Stevens to beat N.Robertson 11/8 VC If the first semi final could be a bit one sided this looks more of a contest but I'm going to favour the Welshman here. He's one of my favourite players and has been for 10 years or so because I like the instinctiveness he plays with. He doesn't always play what say commentators would call the right shot but he commits to the shots he sees and that's the name of the game in this shot clock orientated format. Neil Robertson is a top player but he isn't always the best at seeing the shots straight away and we've seen him struggle in the shot clock land in the past. He went well in the tournament last year but it's fair to say he's a better player without the shot clock than he is with it. I genuinely don't think the shot clock will effect Stevens much even though he hasn't played with it very often and so with that in mind I think he's worth a bet in the second semi final of the opening night.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Snooker: Premier League 2011 +1.13 after the first week with Stevens beating Robertson and then sadly beating Higgins in the final. Don't fancy anything in tonight's semi finals but there is one I fancy for the evening's tournament. 3pts R.O'Sullivan to make Week 2 Highest Break 11/8 Bet365 Ronnie O'Sullivan comes into tonight off the back of a 147 in the Paul Hunter Classic last week and we know of the four players on show he's the most natural and the one who doesn't have to alter his game for the shot clock. This format suits Ronnie down to the ground and given his twitter revelations that he's finally enjoying playing snooker I think Ronnie is one to fear in the major events this season. Throw into the mix that he loves nothing more than thrashing Murphy after Murphy keeps running his mouth off about O'Sullivan's no shows at overseas events (rightly so) and a packed local crowd then I think we'll see some fireworks tonight. Williams is the likely opponent for Ronnie in the final and he doesn't really deal in big breaks. Jimmy White almost made a 147 last week but will be up against it tonight while Murphy's season hasn't really got off the ground yet. Ronnie's natural style can lead him to the biggest break of the night tonight.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Snooker: Premier League 2011 2 for me tonight. 3pts N.Robertson to beat J.Higgins 5/4 Skybet 1pt N.Robertson to win week 3 tournament 4/1 Skybet Neil Robertson beat John Higgins in Shanghai last week in a tournament he really impressed me in. He looked out in Shanghai as though he was coming back into the form which saw him win the world title and the world open in 2010 and that's good to see. John Higgins hasn't really got going this season yet and he's not one I expect to get going tonight in a format and competition which has never really suited him. The shot clock isn't ideal for him and it seems the tournament isn't high enough on his list of priorities for him to give it his all. Robertson's naturally attacking game suits the format more than Higgins' game and I expect the Australian to come through his semi final. In the other semi final Ding Junhui plays Shaun Murphy. Ding hasn't won a game in either of the two majors this season and looks like he's struggling with his form whereas Murphy is in excellent form having won in Brazil last week but it remains to be seen if the busy schedule and all the travelling will have caught up with him. Even if it hasn't Robertson's form is good enough to see him win tonight's event and I think he's a decent value call at 4/1.

Re: Snooker: Premier League 2011 Bit late tonight but I'm going with two small bets tonight. 3pts R.O'Sullivan (-1.5 frames) to beat M.Stevens 11/10 Ladbrokes Ronnie O'Sullivan desperately needs the 3pts tonight having lost in the semi final to Shaun Murphy in the only tournament he has played in so far in this season's Premier League. Matthew Stevens won the only event he's played in beating Neil Robertson and John Higgins along the way but Robertson was still getting going this season that night while Higgins has never gone well under the shot clock. This will be a much tougher test for Stevens tonight with O'Sullivan needing the points so badly. Generally we see the better snooker from O'Sullivan in this competition with the packed houses and the shot clock which benefits him. We haven't seen too many matches end 3-2 in this tournament so far so I'll take the Rocket to fire tonight and win this no worse than 3-1. 3pts D.Junhui (-1.5 frames) to beat A.Carter 5/4 William Hill Ding was unlucky not to win his first event of this season's Premier League last week when he walked into Robertson banging in a couple of tons in the final but he won a high scoring encounter with Shaun Murphy in the semi final and that will stand him in good stead here. This is Ali Carter's debut in the Premier League and all the quirks of it with the shot clock and the various rules and they take a bit of getting used to. Carter isn't the naturally quickest player going around anyway, he likes to think about his shots a bit more but you don't have time in this format. Ding has plenty of experience in this tournament and of the shot clock and I think that will give him a significant advantage in this match to win the match no worse than 3-1.

Re: Snooker: Premier League 2011 +6.18 overall now after Carter's faux pas came way too late for Ding last week. Two for me this week. 4pts M.Stevens to beat J.Higgins 13/8 William Hill These two have met in this competition already this season and Stevens won that match 3-0 and I wouldn't be surprised if this goes the same way. John Higgins just doesn't get along with the shot clock and he isn't overly focused on events like these, he's more a ranking event kind of man and while it's decent match practice that's all it is for him. For Stevens even though he's back in the top 16 this is good experience and a chance to win some decent dollar. His natural game suits the shot clock and he was a bit unlucky to lose 3-0 to O'Sullivan who had everything go for him in that match. In week one of this event Stevens beat Neil Robertson and John Higgins without losing a frame so we know he can play this format. Higgins beat Jimmy White 3-0 in the opening match of the tournament but even then Jimmy had to go in off the final black to give Higgins that 3-0 win. Since then he's played Stevens in the week one final and Robertson in a week three semi final and he hasn't won a frame. With the shootout decider definitely not suiting Higgins if he manages to take 2 to get it that far I definitely think Stevens is more than a value punt here so I'll have a fair sized stake on this considering it's a best of 5. 1pt M.Stevens to win Week 5 11/2 Bet365 Value pick this more than anything. I think Stevens will beat Higgins so he won't be 11/2 to win the final if he does. Having lost 3-0 last week he could do with all 6pts this week so I'm sure he'll be giving it his all and having played in the second semi he'll still be pretty warm for the final should he be in it. However this tournament was set out Stevens would be value at 11/2 in a 4 horse race but with the format the way it is and only Trump more natural with the shot clock I think the Welshman is well worth a play to win his second Premier League weekly event of the season at this price.

Re: Snooker: Premier League 2011 Williams vs Trump Williams 3/4 1/10 Units I think this will be a close match. Ive not followed snooker recently but i know both players are very quick at potting and the clock won't affect them much. When both players get into their stride i expect good snooker and some big breaks. However, Trump is a young talent and although he can pot amazing long balls, he will make mistakes. Williams on the other hand is much more composed and will pounce on the mistakes trump will make. Set for a nice night of snooker. Not a massive punt, but enough to keep in interested. :hope

Re: Snooker: Premier League 2011 Just the one for me tonight. 4pts A.Carter to beat M.Williams 13/10 Sportingbet I like Ali Carter in this match. He showed in the semi final in week one that the shot clock is of no concern to him and he also made reference in the first game he played that he's looking to take full advantage of finally qualifying for the Premier League. Mark Williams' laid back attitude makes it hard to tell what he really feels for this event but you get the feeling he's more concerned about peaking for the major championships rather than the Premier League and PTC events. Certainly that appeared to be the case when Michael Holt dumped Williams out in the first round of the PTC last weekend. Carter was only beaten by Stevens in a deciding frame in the last 16 that weekend and Stevens went on to be the runner up overall. I think Carter's form is good and his momentum is probably higher going into this match and with the shot clock probably more suited to his style I'll take the Captain to fly into the final tonight.

Re: Snooker: Premier League 2011 Bit late with this but just one for me tonight. Really looking forward to tonight. Should be a great night's snooker. 3pts J.Trump (-1.5 frames) to beat A.Carter 7/4 Bet365 I think this is a decent price for Judd to win 3-1 or 3-0 tonight. Given the matches are over such a short period it's harder to play catch up especially if a player goes two frames behind and especially against someone like Judd who keeps going for his shots and piling the pressure on. Carter is absolutely no mug but I do think Judd Trump will win this match tonight. I just think the pressure he will put on Carter's safety shots will eventually take it's toll. We saw how Carter played when Ronnie was putting him under pressure earlier in the tournament when he completely missed a red 3 times and was forced to forfeit a frame and so with Carter's safety likely to face another examination tonight I'll take Trump. This tournament suits Judd down to the ground and near enough on home soil I'll take him to win this one by at least 2 frames this evening.

Re: Snooker: Premier League 2011 Been out or busy most of the weekend so need to update some threads. Trump won that match 3-1 on his way to his second weekly win. He's as good as in the playoffs now so isn't just the match betting that's looking good, the outrights are too. +5.25 for Thursday night and +22.13 overall now.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Snooker: Premier League 2011 Premier League is back on Thursday night and it should be a cracking night of snooker with arguably the 4 most watchable players around at the minute in action. I'm going with just one. 4pts N.Robertson to beat D.Junhui 10/11 Stan James These two have already met in this season's Premier League when Neil Robertson won a high quality week 3 final 3-1 which included a couple of fantastic centuries. I really think he can repeat that success here too. I've mentioned throughout this event how well he's playing away from the Premier League and we've seen it in the Premier League too. This is a massive match for both men. With both men coming into what is their final weekly event on 10pts with four men within two points of them I think it's fair to say the loser of this match will be knocked out unless they lose 3-2 and get very lucky with results in the next two weeks. For all intents and purposes though this is effectively a best of 5 frame knockout. Ding can turn up on any night and blow anyone away but it's Robertson who has been in the better form away from the Premier League and it's he who I think can be trusted more to up his game here where it is really needed. Having won a couple of PTC's in recent weeks Robertson has the winning bug and he can continue to have that in this second semi final on what should be a fantastic night of snooker.

Re: Snooker: Premier League 2011 Just the one for me tonight. 5pts A.Carter to beat J.Higgins 5/4 Sportingbet I'm not quite sure other than reputation why John Higgins is the favourite for this opening semi final tonight. I don't think he's ever performed well in the Premier League under the shot clock whereas Ali Carter made no secret from the first night that he intends to make the most of this Premier League campaign because he knows it could be his first and last Premier League season. Carter knows if he is to extend his Premier League campaign that he has to not only win this semi final but also the final too. Higgins has no qualification possibilities so with a PTC in Antwerp over the weekend I'm sure Higgins' only motivation is to get into Grimsby and to get out of there just as quickly so he can prepare for the trip to Belgium. This is a much bigger night for the Captain but the prices don't reflect that. I'm happy that the Captain can land on time for his connection flight later in the evening in the form of the week 9 final.

Re: Snooker: Premier League 2011

Thursday 17 November 2011 Player 1 Player 2 BPP
maximize.gif Trump, J v Murphy, S (19:30 GMT) 1.75 2.38 99.16 %
maximize.gif O'Sullivan, R v White, J (21:00 GMT) 1.2 5.9 100.28 %
OSullivan vs White Havnt followed snooker for a while, but I think Jimmy is getting too old for this. Though Osullivan isnt on top of his game in recent years I think he has far too much skill to lose to Jimmy. As long as Osullivan treats this seriously I see no reason why he would lose a frame. Just a small punt for fun tonight: OSullivan 3 - 0 7/4 0.5/10 WH

Re: Snooker: Premier League 2011 Edited your post to include the prices for tonight thusprider :ok. No joy for me in the last two weeks with Robertson being unprepared for his match 2 weeks ago and then Carter playing like a twat last week so back to +13.13 overall. Don't fancy any in the semis tonight but I'll have a bite at what I see as the potential final. 2pts J.Trump to beat R.O'Sullivan in the final 7/2 Skybet I think these two are the standout players on show tonight and I expect the final to be between the two men. It will be a massive surprise if Ronnie isn't in the final and I don't believe Shaun Murphy is playing well enough to trouble Judd Trump, certainly on what we've seen in recent weeks at least. So then it comes down to Ronnie vs Trump. The two met in one of the best matches I've ever seen in the final of the PTC in Antwerp on Sunday and Judd won that 4-3 and showed plenty of character after he was 3-1 up but then sat and watched Ronnie bash in two centuries. The two met in the semi final of this tournament a fortnight ago too. Ronnie prevailed on that occasion, winning the deciding shootout frame. However Judd was unlucky to knock the green in when a red went all round the table and flicked the green across the table and into the middle. That gave O'Sullivan ball in hand and when you give O'Sullivan ball in hand you may as well end the match there and then. There's nothing between the two players at the minute and I really hope this is the final tonight because it could be a cracker with no qualification issues on it. At 7/2 I'll take Trump to repeat Sunday's win should it be the final which I think it will be.