L2 preview 2011/12

Monaco Monaco look like a very difficult team to forecast at the moment. Following a shock relegation there have already been a lot of ins and outs at the club, and I’m sure there will be loads more action before the end of August. they’ve lost some big players, including key keeper Ruffier, Bonnart, Gosso, Hatuna, Diarra, Lolo. Some decent guys remain though, the question is will they stay? I’m talking about the likes of Park, Niculae, Adriano, Muratori, Moukandjo. I’m sure Monaco will be left with a strong nucleus of players BUT it might take some time for the team to fully settle down. If they can get by August scoring a few points I think things should gradually get better. It would be a surprise if they weren’t in the promotion battle, they have the biggest budget out of any ligue 2 club and should retain at least some real quality players who are too good for this level. Right now, its pretty hard to do an assessment of them fully but some of their new signing are useful and long term its pretty difficult not to see Monaco being in the top three really. Defence 7/10 Midfield 6/10 Attack 8/10 Prediction :- 1st Lens Lens have been a bit of a yo-yo club in recent years and will be hoping that they can make an instant return to the top flight. Last season was a poor campaign from them and they deserved to be relegated. A number of big players have left, but they still have a decent nucleus of guys who can help them get out of this division. Yes, the likes of Hermach, Jemaa, Varane, Bedimo and Runje have packed their bags, but Lens should still be strong. They have brought in a few decent new players such as striker Toudic who will score a few goals and the midfield duo of Ducasse and Baal should go nicely at this level. New coach Jean Louis Garcia is an astute tactician who will get the best out of this team. I doubt they are finished in the transfer market just yet and a few players will no doubt come in and a few more leave before the end of August. Therefore its probably best to make a full judgement on Lens in a few weeks time, but fundamentally I’d have them as one of the favourites for promotion. Defence 7/10 Midfield 7/10 Attack 6/10 Prediction :- 2nd Nantes Nantes had a poor season last year and ended up finishing 13th. At one time, I seriously thought they were under risk of relegation, yet on paper at the start of the campaign they looked to have a squad capable of easily going up. Things might be different now that they’ve got a decent coach in Landry Chauvin (who has done well at Sedan the last few years). A few players have left the club, but some decent new ones have arrived too, and they will always get good youngsters come through their academy system. There have been A LOT of ins and outs this summer, but looking into it, I’d say the only major loss is keeper Ndy Assembe. Defensively, they’ve lost JJ Pierre, but there is depth here and overall should be pretty solid. In midfield, they’ve increased their attacking dimension by signing the likes of Bessat and Pancrate, which should mix in with the likes of Cheyrou and Vainqueur who are solid and reliable. Importantly, they’ve kept Djodjevic and Gakpe in attack, and also brought in Wiltord and Dale, who should score goals. I think a few of the attacking midfielders should net quite a few goals too. Nantes are a difficult club, often with high expectations and politics off the field. But I think they look strong this season and under the guidance of a decent manager could make a promotion push. Defence 6/10 Midfield 7/10 Attack 8/10 Prediction :- 3rd Le Havre Le Havre eventually slipped to 14th last season after a terrible end to the campaign during which they lost a lot of matches. It simply seemed that they ran out of gas, surprisingly coach Cedric Daury kept his job. On paper, they look like a well balanced side with potential. If things go well then they could launch a promotion bid because the Normans have depth. The loss of Brice Jovial from their attack is a blow, but they have recruited Fanchone and Julienne who should be able to score goals. That, in addition to Mendes Garcia and Riviere means they have a reasonable attack force. The midfield will be strong if they can keep the impressive Guida Fofana, but its possible he could leave before the end of the transfer window. Defensively, they have lost Mody Traare who returns to Valenciennes after his loan spell, but they seem to have enough depth at the back. It must be remembered that HAC have a good youth system and they can suddenly pluck out a decent young player from nowhere straight into the first XI. Traditionally strong at home, if things go well they could be one of the better teams and launch a promotion bid. Defence 6/10 Midfield 7/10 Attack 6/10 Prediction :- 4th Metz Metz narrowly avoided relegation last season finishing 17th which was just one point above the drop zone. But they played quite well from Christmas onwards and they kept with coach Bijotat throughout the whole campaign. That was probably a sensible move and again he’s in charge for this year. I always said Metz would have a difficult 2010/11 campaign, but I think they are looking better equipped now. Their only real loss is defender Romain Bregrie and midfielder Traore who goes back to Nice following a loan spell. Signing Bruce Abdoulaye from Clermont really bolsters their defence whilst the returning Borbiconi adds some strength too. The midfield looks pretty strong and by recruiting Bouby and Pouye from Evian means they have some more options in addition to the likes of Gurriero and Fleurival. Metz have quite a players who are adaptable in defence and midfield, an asset always useful to have. If they could bring in one more really good striker then I think they could be a quality team, although Duhamel will definitely score goals. Someone like Sakho, Bourgeois or Kehli might raise their game maybe? Overall, I like the balance of this Metz side and I have the feeling they could go well this year, possibly getting themselves into the promotion race. Defence 7/10 Midfield 7/10 Attack 6/10 Prediction :- 5th Bastia Bastia easily won the National division last season racking up 91 points and losing only 3 games. They were the 2nd highest scoring team, had the best defence, never lost at home and had the best away record out of anyone. Clearly they deserved to come back up to ligue 2 and it wasn’t a surprise to see coach Frederic Hantz do so well. He is a good coach and has enjoyed some nice success in the past at Le Mans, tactically he’ll be one of the best managers in the ligue. Unsurprisingly with a promoted team, Bastia remain pretty unchanged. The only main departure is striker Sylla who goes back to Le Mans on loan, but they have plenty of other strikers who can score goals. The addition of midfielder Jerome Rothen could be a huge asset in ligue 2, whilst Ganest bolsters their attack force. I don’t think the step up to ligue 2 will be tough for Bastia and I expect them to go well. They could produce a few surprises and end up in the top half of the table. Defence 6/10 Midfield 7/10 Attack 6/10 Prediction :- 6th Tours Tours eventually slipped to 12th last season following a very bright start to the campaign. Amazingly, they remain extremely unchanged this summer with very few players in and out of the club. The biggest change is actually at the helm where Peter Zeidler takes over as coach. He’s a German who hasn’t been in management for a few years, I know nothing about him so lets see how he goes. Thomas Gamiette arrives from Reims to bolster the midfield and replace Ca, apart from that then the squad is pretty much exactly how it was. Defensively, they have some strong players such as N’Ganga, Cetout and Genevois. The midfield lacks a bit of depth but has some decent players such as Cardy, Lejeune and Oniangue. Upfront, if they can keep Abraham Guei Guei then they will have three strikers (along with Buengo and Blayac) who are all capable of hitting the back of the net. Tours have a nice looking balance to them this season and a real feeling of stability, except the coaching change. I think the key to how they perform will be how Peter Zeidler adapts, on the face of it they have some decent potential to cause some surprises. Defence 6/10 Midfield 6/10 Attack 7/10 Prediction :- 7th Angers Angers finished 6th last season under the guidance of long standing coach Jean Louis Garcia, who has now moved to Lens. It’s a blow losing him and taking over is the inexperienced Stephane Moulin, this is his first job in management. Angers’ main strength last season was in defence where they only conceded 32 goals (best in the ligue). The good news is that they have remained very settled in all departments and that solid defence hasn’t been split up. The only main departure is attacker Henri Saivet who returns to Bordeaux. Angers look like they will be solid if not spectacular again, but they could’ve done with recruiting a few new players I think. Especially in attack they will rely upon Claudio Keseru for goals, nobody else is really that dangerous. They should have good and bad days and generally keep things tight, more likely to be midtable but might make a promotion push. Defence 7/10 Midfield 7/10 Attack 5/10 Prediction :- 8th Sedan Sedan played some great football last season, it was a shame they couldn’t make it up to ligue 1. In the end they had to settle for 5th spot and generally it was their poor away displays which let them down. Sadly during the summer they’ve lost a few important players. Whilst they’ve done their best to replace them, I think they’ll slide down the table slightly. The addition of new coach Laurent Guyot worries me too, he wasn’t exactly very impressive during his last managerial stint at Boulogne. The defence is weakened by the loss of key keeper Benoit Costil to Rennes and Habib Bellaid who goes back to Germany. Damien Tiberi has also gone to Ajaccio. Dembele comes in from Rennes and Cantini returns after his loan at Vannes, whilst old dog Ulrich Rame gets the gloves from Bordeaux. Losing Karaboue is a massive loss and the departure of Alexix Allart will hurt them too. Some decent replacements have been brought in, Langil and Gragnic will do alright. In attack they will rely a lot on Nicolas Fauvergue for goals. Diallo has come from Le Havre, but they could definitely do with signing a few more upfront. The squad looks alright and they should be at least midtable, with an outside chance of launching a promotion bid. But overall, I just don’t think Les Sangliers will be quite as strong compared to last season. Defnece 6/10 Midfield 7/10 Attack 5/10 Prediction :- 9th Amiens Amiens romped to 2nd position in the national division last season. They based their promotion on a tight defence which conceded very few goals, and on a strong home record where they remained unbeaten. Over the summer they have only lost one main player from last season, left winger Tainmont who goes back to Reims. A couple of good new signings seem to be Nancy midfielder Benjamin Gavanon who should go well in L2, whilst impressive young Nimes striker M’Changama also comes in. A few other players bolster the squad, but generally things seem quite settled. With a winning mentality, momentum and heading into the season 25 games unbeaten, I think Amiens should be able to hold their own. They seem to have decent depth in all areas of the park and I don’t thin k the step up to L2 level will be that much difference for them. Overall, Amiens could be a surprise and maybe even push for the top half of the table. Overall Defence 6/10 Midfield 6/10 Attack 6/10 Prediction :- 10th Arles Arles had a nightmare in ligue 1 last season and were comfortably relegated. They had a season full of turmoil and they simply played at a level which was too high for them. In similarity to their other relegated counterparts, Arles are naturally a hard team to predict and it’ll be interesting to see how they fare. A few players have left, but in general they have retained a large nucleus of last season’s squad, which will hopefully have benefited from ligue 1 experience. Faruk Hagzibegic remains as coach which isn’t a bad thing, he should be quite good at ligue 2 level. Its never easy following relegation and who knows, they might do something similar to Grenoble? But I think Arles should have a reasonably comfortable year and be competitive. Midtable looks more likely for the Avignon side and they will have their good and bad days. A few new players have arrived who should do a decent job, midfielder Christophe Landrin from St Etienne as an example. Arles are maybe a team best watched initially giving them time to settle down, because they are capable of anything. Defence 6/10 Midfield 7/10 Attack 5/10 Prediction :- 11th Guingamp Guingamp finished 3rd in the National division last season, ensuring they returned back up to ligue 2 at the first time of asking following their relegation in 2009/10. They were the highest scoring team in the National with attacking midfielder Thibault Giresse netting 20+ goals in what was an excellent campaign. Guingamp have lost a couple of key players from their promotion campaign, defender/midfielder Bassila and attacking midfielder Ogunbiyi. However, both were old and not spring chickens so their losses might not be felt so bad. What is a surprise on the other hand is letting striker Mathieu Scarpelli go. He scored 15+ goals last season and is proven in ligue 2, he’d be a useful poacher for sure. What Gungamp have is a squad which is adaptable and they have good depth, especially in midfield and defence. Coming in upfront is Yatabare from Clermont, but he only scored once last season. Giresse, and the other attacking midfielders will score a few, but what this team lacks is a genuine striker/finisher/poacher type player. Nevertheless, Guingamp have momentum and should be pretty solid, I don’t think they will have too many problems staying up on their return to ligue 2. Defence 6/10 Midfield 7/10 Attack 4/10 Prediction :- 12th Clermont Clermont finished 7th last season and coach Mickael De Zakarian has proved himself to be an astute tactician in the last couple of years. He cant be underestimated, but during the summer they’ve lost a few players which might mean they slip back towards midtable mediocrity. Any team would struggle by losing 20 goal man Sloan Privat who returns to Sochaux after his loan spell. The defence is also weakened by the losses of Abodulaye and Cellier, along with keeper Mickael Fabre who has gone to Lens. Finally, in midfield they’ve lost a few players such as Chaussidiere, Hamdani and Haquin. Overall, Clermont have been weakened all over the park, although De Zakarian has done his best by recruiting. I just think the loss of Privat will hit them hardest. Jean Riviere comes in from Ajaccio, but he’s 34 now and I doubt will be able to fill Privat’s boots. Clermont will play a physical game when possible and be determined, working hard. They cant be underestimated, but I’d say midtable generally looks morel likely for them here and they could slip down the pecking order. Defence 5/10 Midfield 5/10 Attack 5/10 Prediction :- 13th Troyes Despite starting very strongly, Troyes tailed off and in the end needed to pick up a few late points to avoid relegation. They finished up 16th which was perhaps a bit harsh because they did play some good football at times during the season. Not too much has changed during the summer, a couple of important players have left but they shouldn’t be affected too much. In defence, the losses of Carlier and Marester aren’t ideal, and the only replacement is a guy called Sambou from Greek club Atromitos. I know nothing of him so it’ll be interesting to see how he goes. The midfield has lost Diallo Guidileye to Brest and Abdoul Sissoko to Udinise. I think they look a bit light of numbers in midfield, despite the arrival of Thiago Xavier from Chateauroux. Attack looks Troyes’ best area and they will be spearheaded by Marcos. He’ll be surrounded by players such as Grax, Bettiol, Camara and Psaume who should do useful jobs up front. Coach, Jean Marc Furlan will want them to pass the ball and play nice football, the problem might be come the winter when pitches aren’t so good. So they might start the season well and then tail off a bit. Lower midtable should be where they are, with the chance of being sucked into the relegation battle. Defence 5/10 Midfield 5/10 Attack 6/10 Prediction :- 14th Boulogne Boulogne finished 8th last season and were an incredibly inconsistent side, capable of anything. This will be Michael Esteven’s first full season in charge, but it might be a challenge because they’ve lost quite a few key players. Vincent Pajot was a rock in midfield last season but goes back to Rennes after his loan, whilst the likes of Atik, Najih, Agouazi and Yatabare have departed too. The biggest loss however is key striker Gregory Thil who is irreplaceable. Thil has been ‘Mr Boulogne’ for a long time and I do wonder where they will get their goals from now. The defence has stayed pretty consistent, with the addition of a couple of unknown players. The midfield is very much chopped and changed and might take some time to adapt, although has potential. As things stand, Boulogne need to buy some more strikers because they only really have one out and out ‘natural’ finisher at the moment (Allart). They look like they might be hard to predict, but I doubt they’ll be strong enough to launch a promotion bid. Defence 6/10 Midfield 6/10 Attack 4/10 Prediction :- 15th Reims Reims did well to finish 10th last season, especially after a poor start which left them on the back foot. They have lost some players this summer, but generally their squad doesn’t look too bad. They wont be anything special and I doubt we’ll see them in the upper reaches of the table, but overall should be safe. There is also every chance if things don’t go well that they could be in the relegation battle though. The defence stays the same as last season and it will have its good and bad days. In midfield, Krychowiak goes back to Bordeaux and he is a loss, also Gamiette’s departure is a blow. Coming in are Ca and Collet, along with a couple of unknown players. The midfield still doesn’t look too bad, but in attack the loss of key 16 goal man Julien Toudic is a big hammer blow. As yet, they haven’t replaced him and will rely on Cedric Faure. Unless they bring in a decent striker (or two) I worry where they will score their goals from. Hubert Fournier stays on as coach so they have consistency in that department. Reims might be hard to predict but look like they’ll settle around the lower part of midtable. Defence 5/10 Midfield 6/10 Attack 4/10 Prediction :- 16th Le Mans Le Mans finished 4th last season and only failed to be promoted by virtue of goal difference. I think they should’ve gone up because on paper the had one of the best squads in the division, yet they never achieved their full potential. Now this summer Le Mans have lost a lot of their star players and they’ll rely upon good youth guys to propel them up the table. Personally I think it’ll be a challenging campaign for them and they don’t have a lot of experience in their squad. This should be a transition year for Arnaud Cormier’s boys, and he remains in charge at the helm. The losses of Cerdan, Corchia and Bouhours in defence are huge, but what will hit them hardest is big goal man Helstad who has moved to Monaco. They aren’t left with too many recognizable players and need to hope some of their youths step up and make a name for themselves. They will have a lot of energy and pace, some I’m sure will prove to be a success, but overall there area lot of question marks surrounding Le Mans. I just don’t see then being in the promotion hunt, and if things go really badly then they might even get sucked into the relegation battle. Defence 4/10 Midfield 5/10 Attack 4/10 Prediction :- 17th Laval Laval eventually only survived by virtue of 3 points last season. They were excellent at home, only losing one match all campaign (which was actually the last game of the season), although they were terrible on the road. they’ve lost a few players this summer, especially in defence where they seem to lack any real depth now. Johan Chapuis is 36 years old, but did play in a lot of matches in the last few seasons, so his experience will be missed. Midfield is probably their strongest area where they have a few decent well known players. Their key man is attacking midfielder Jerome Lebouc who scored 12 goals last season, take him away and they are often a different team, struggling to create many opportunities upfront. Laval have bolstered the squad by adding 4 new strikers, none of whom are anything special, but the coach will be hoping a couple of them come good and manage to hit the back of the net. Surprisingly, they are the bookies favourites for relegation, but I don’t think they’ll be that bad. Hinchberger isn’t a bad coach and they will be dangerous at home. The defence might be poor though and lacks depth, its possible Les Tangos could be sucked into the relegation battle. Defence 4/10 Midfield 5/10 Attack 5/10 Prediction :- 18th Chateauroux Chateauroux finished 14th last season and were a mediocre side at best, having their good and bad days. They have lost a few players in defence and midfield and it doesn’t look like they’ll be able to improve much this season, perhaps being dragged into the relegation battle. Haddad is a huge loss from midfield, whilst Thiago Xavier also departs. The defence will mostly be new look following the losses of Cherfa, Lahaye and Cordonnier. Inez will be a good right back attacking signing from Caen, whilst Hautcouer might be useful in midfield. But this squad doesn’t look anything special and its difficult to get excited about. La Berrichonne will hope that on loan striker from Auxerre Maxime Bourgeois can score goals. In addition to Dupuis and Lafourcade, they could have some strikers capable of hitting the back of the net. Didider Tholot is an aggressive coach so I think we shall see a few goals in Chateauroux games, the problem is they might concede too many. Defence 4/10 Midfield 5/10 Attack 6/10 Prediction :- 19th Istres Istres look like they will be one of the hardest teams to predict this season. They are a bit of an enigma club who in many way don’t belong at this level (few supporters, boring atmosphere etc). To be honest, the only reason they stayed up last season was because of an excellent sequence of results around the mid part of the campaign in which they went about 10 games unbeaten. Jose Pasqueleti hasn’t done a bad job at Istres in the last couple of years, although his past has been littered with failures which could happen at any time. The squad stays mostly the same as last year, the main loss is left back Lejeune to Villarreal for £800k. Istres have signed a number of new players, most of whom I know nothing about, except central defender Eric Chelle who will be a solid centre back. I think they are a bit of a mystery team with which anything is possible. My main worry with them is scoring goals, because I doubt 36 year old Nassim Akrour will be able to do as well this campaign. Overall, I think they are a team best watched, anything is possible and they could be good or bad. Defence 5/10 Midfield 5/10 Attack 4/10 Prediction :- 20th

Re: L2 preview 2011/12 This looks set to be a really close season. I had to predict some teams to finish in the bottom 5 places, but really anything is possible here. I don't think there are any stand out 'bad teams' It could be yet another really close season of action in ligue 2 with things especially very tight and congested towards the bottom of the table. Best of luck everyone this season!

Re: L2 preview 2011/12 Excellent and very thorough report Steve as usual, much appreciated :ok I have to say that I don't fully agree with some of the positions but that's the way it should be ;) Look forward to seeing you on the thread for the first weekend of the season.

Re: L2 preview 2011/12

Bastia Bastia easily won the National division last season racking up 91 points and losing only 3 games. They were the 2nd highest scoring team, had the best defence, never lost at home and had the best away record out of anyone. Clearly they deserved to come back up to ligue 2 and it wasn’t a surprise to see coach Frederic Hantz do so well. He is a good coach and has enjoyed some nice success in the past at Le Mans, tactically he’ll be one of the best managers in the ligue. Unsurprisingly with a promoted team, Bastia remain pretty unchanged. The only main departure is striker Sylla who goes back to Le Mans on loan, but they have plenty of other strikers who can score goals. The addition of midfielder Jerome Rothen could be a huge asset in ligue 2, whilst Ganest bolsters their attack force. I don’t think the step up to ligue 2 will be tough for Bastia and I expect them to go well. They could produce a few surprises and end up in the top half of the table. Defence 6/10 Midfield 7/10 Attack 6/10 Prediction :- 6th
great work, I don't know if you took all this info from a site or is just your work, anyway great post but I'm totally not agree with you, I just see much different the teams and the possible table from here, for example Nantes is far away from top of the league, Lens have greats fans but team is not ready for fast going in first league; Sedan is a clear favorite for Ligue 1, Arles made many changes but brings a lot of first league players, I see them a good team, Le Mans for me will easy be on first part of the table, Le Havre isn't so strong, I don't see them in top 5, about Bastia 6th isn't bad of all, all the people from here are dreaming of Ligue 1, with a great coach, with harmonie at club, we still need a defender and a attacker, Diallo and Suarez are not enough, we still have some options but not even a name now. I also want to mention that France L2 is one of the most impossible league to predict, last year is the perfect example, 3 teams on top 3 that had objective like saving from 3th league, or top 12, if it was one sole person that predicted a top like EVIAN, Dijon or ACA... I hope but I know that L2 isn't National, so I wish you all a great season, i hope I'll manage to give good predictions and I hope Bastia will make a good season! Forza Bastia per sempre! :cheers

Great work Meatman' date= as always. Who in your opinion will be Ligue 2 Top scorer or in other word: can u name 5 best strikers from Ligue 2 teams?
Helstad is the bookies favourites. Its so difficult to say though, I'd say Giresse and Blayac are worth a punt at big odds

Excellent and very thorough report Steve as usual' date=' much appreciated :ok I have to say that I don't fully agree with some of the positions but that's the way it should be ;) Look forward to seeing you on the thread for the first weekend of the season.[/quote'] haha yeh thats how it should be eh, all a matter of opinions who are you title winners then Atko? yeh all my own work mate. I also hope Bastia have a good season, they are one of my more favoured lcubs in France. What Ilike most is the passion that the club has. You will be strong, top 10 at least I think

haha yeh thats how it should be eh, all a matter of opinions who are you title winners then Atko?
I find it hard to see past Lens at the moment, they have a good manager who is going places and he appears to have assembled a strong side. If they can keep Alaeddine Yahia in defence, they'll be even more solid. Monaco should be decent but I wonder if they'll take time to adapt to Ligue 2. As we know though, this league can throw up plenty of bizarre results and the winner often comes from nowhere.

Re: L2 preview 2011/12 Nice preview! I wish you'll be right with Nantes, but truly i don't believe it. Team sucks... new players don't bring a real plus, that i can saw on the last few games. I know "wait until they play somes official games..." but still disappointed as all the ultras... As they'll be Kita we'll not moving forward. That's the truth..:cry

• 2 weeks later...

Re: L2 preview 2011/12 After a great start (3-1 home with Istres, 0-2 at Nantes) and after sign of Toifilou Maoulida the team is well organized, I give full confidence to Hantz, I lean to believe that Bastia can attack the top3! I'll be on stadium for 3th match, with Le Mans, a team in paining, I'm scared of this team, I hops we'll win.

• 8 months later...

After a great start (3-1 home with Istres' date=' 0-2 at Nantes) and after sign of Toifilou Maoulida the team is well organized, I give full confidence to Hantz, I lean to believe that Bastia can attack the top3! I'll be on stadium for 3th match, with Le Mans, a team in paining, I'm scared of this team, I hops we'll win.[/quote'] Nice to be here, we dominate this season and we are the best from L2, I was at all home matches and I love my team, see you all next season in L1! Forza Bastia!