System Backtesting

Anyone wanting to know how a system has worked in the past? Backtesting system software is widely available but not everyone can access it, thought it would be useful for those unable to backtest a certain criteria to put their query in this thread and i'll backtest it with the software I have. It may be that you want to know something quite simple like how many fav's win novice hurdles at Newbury for example, or how many top weights win nursery races etc... Some other queries may be more specific like trainer and jockey stats in certain races etc.. Just put your query in this thread and i'll check the stats as soon as I can and put the results in here, if i have not answered your query within a couple of days just give me a PM to remind me. Remember the more specific you are the more reliable the results will be. BH

Re: System Backtesting This is a briliant idea Billy and thankyou for doing this and offering your services yet again! I have one that I am sure would be a success but just havnt been able to find stats! I am looking at laying all horses who have won an apprentice race and then go into another race unpenalised in the next few days before it is reassessed for some reason these often seem to be sent off at stupid prices and often get beaten it seems! Thankyou for any help you can offer!

Re: System Backtesting Ok Chris, not a great start to this thread. I cant seperate the Apprentice races from Class 6 handicaps for some reason, anyway this is what i've come closest to. I looked at all Class 6 handicaps (which App races are) that were won by a jockey claiming either 3,5 or 7lbs in the last 8 years that then went on to run within the following week. If i can narrow it down further i'll let you know mate. The results were; 145 qualifiers of which 32 won both races, the P/L was +4.21 There was a losing sequence of 12 on two occasions.

Re: System Backtesting Read this one years ago , can't even remember where , but followed it for a while . It didn't make a huge profit but did give a stredy flow of winners . Basically it involves selecting any Fav in any Non-Handicap race but not Claimers , Sellers , Apprentice , Lady riders only etc . The selection had to be priced between 6/4 and evens with the next best in the market being at least 3pts higher , eg 7/2 or above. Applies to Flat and NH races . Of course the original system invoved picking a national newspaper and using their forecasted odds but it would be interesting to see if , 1 - A profit can be achieved and , 2 - If the Flat produces more profit than the Jumps . Hope you can oblige BH :hope

Re: System Backtesting

Ok Chris, not a great start to this thread. I cant seperate the Apprentice races from Class 6 handicaps for some reason, anyway this is what i've come closest to. I looked at all Class 6 handicaps (which App races are) that were won by a jockey claiming either 3,5 or 7lbs in the last 8 years that then went on to run within the following week. If i can narrow it down further i'll let you know mate. The results were; 145 qualifiers of which 32 won both races, the P/L was +4.21 There was a losing sequence of 12 on two occasions.
Cheers Graham might paper trial it in here an see what happens thanks anyway mate!! Much appreciated!!

Nice one Billy .Top weights at tight tracks Up to three mile Handicaps .Hurdles and fences. Thanks in advance.
Pete these are tight tracks as indicated here http://www.allaboutbetting.co.uk/horseracing/nationalhuntcourses/nationalhuntcourses.html Bangor,Cartmel,Catterick,Fakenham,Folkstone,Fontwell,Haydock, Hereford,Kelso,Kempton,Lingfield,Aintree Market Rasen,Newton Abbot, Perth,Plumpton,Southwell,Stratford,Taunton,Uttoxeter,Warwick,Weatherby,Wincanton If you want any kicking out then say so. Results; Since 2003 7,516 selections (seems a lot buts its only about 40 races per track each season) 956 Winners 2,474 Placed Loss (1,325) to £1 stake

Read this one years ago , can't even remember where , but followed it for a while . It didn't make a huge profit but did give a stredy flow of winners . Basically it involves selecting any Fav in any Non-Handicap race but not Claimers , Sellers , Apprentice , Lady riders only etc . The selection had to be priced between 6/4 and evens with the next best in the market being at least 3pts higher , eg 7/2 or above. Applies to Flat and NH races . Of course the original system invoved picking a national newspaper and using their forecasted odds but it would be interesting to see if , 1 - A profit can be achieved and , 2 - If the Flat produces more profit than the Jumps . Hope you can oblige BH :hope
JTW; Works out to about 3 or 4 races per week, does that sound about right? The Flat and NH results are pretty similar, both around 42% strike rate. Flat 1416 races 604 Wins 42.7% Loss (76.57) Place %: 75% NH 971 races 409 Wins 42.1% Loss (66.14) Place %: 72%

Sorry, my mistake. I didn't explain as well as I could have... 2yo races only. I'd like to know if a horse this age runs better (winning percentage wise) within a week of its LTO, or 2 weeks, 3 weeks etc.
Results since 2003 1 Week : 12.6% 2 Weeks: 11.7% 3 Weeks: 12.2% 4 Weeks: 11.3% 5 Weeks: 10.5% 6 Weeks: 10.5% Over 6 : 9.1%

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pete these are tight tracks as indicated here http://www.allaboutbetting.co.uk/horseracing/nationalhuntcourses/nationalhuntcourses.html Bangor,Cartmel,Catterick,Fakenham,Folkstone,Fontwell,Haydock, Hereford,Kelso,Kempton,Lingfield,Aintree Market Rasen,Newton Abbot, Perth,Plumpton,Southwell,Stratford,Taunton,Uttoxeter,Warwick,Weatherby,Wincanton If you want any kicking out then say so. Results; Since 2003 7,516 selections (seems a lot buts its only about 40 races per track each season) 956 Winners 2,474 Placed Loss (1,325) to £1 stake
BH can you take out Plumpton Wetherby Please

Read this one years ago , can't even remember where , but followed it for a while . It didn't make a huge profit but did give a stredy flow of winners . Basically it involves selecting any Fav in any Non-Handicap race but not Claimers , Sellers , Apprentice , Lady riders only etc . The selection had to be priced between 6/4 and evens with the next best in the market being at least 3pts higher , eg 7/2 or above. Applies to Flat and NH races .
Non-Handicap races only. Selection must be forecast favourite The selection must have a forecast price in the RP greater than 1/1 Second favourite must be at least double the odds of the favourite. 1/1 - 3/1 5/4 - 7/2 6/4 - 4/1 7/4 - 9/2 2/1 - 5/1 etc...... :ok 1 today Hereford 8.10 NH Flat Thespis of Icaria rp 6/4 fav...2nd fav 6/1 won 4/5 :clap

BH Any chance you can check out Claimers only Top OR Forecast Favourite (also as above but sp favourite) 1 today Carlisle 2.40 Claimer rp Fav Esprit de Midas top OR 85 won 3/1 :clap :ok
Cant do F/C Favs i'm afraid, but actual fav's are below; UK Races, Flat Only, Claimers Only, Top O/R, Fav. Races : 1856 Wins : 394 21.23% Places : 816 43.97% Loss : 79.55

Re: System Backtesting cheers BH Are you using RSB ? My RSB does'nt work anymore after I had a major crash on comp redone xp and all drivers etc but still wont work. Wont work on my laptop either (win7) so Im goosed as RSB is no more. Will have to drag my win 95 comp out of retirement :lol

Re: System Backtesting RSB was a systems database I have the discs but they wont re-load on my comp anymore (xp) after I had a major comp crash . Tried them on my laptop still wont work, but will work on my old windows 95 comp for some reason. Not tech savvy enough to know which drivers or dll's are missing . RSB stopped trading about 4 yrs ago so I cant ask them either :sad

• 2 weeks later...

Re: System Backtesting Here's one for you, BH... Runners at the same track as their last outing, within the past seven days, two weeks and a month. I'm wondering what the strike rate is if they are taking part in the same class as before or if it increases when they go up or down in class? Also interested if it makes any difference with a change of distance? And finally, if there are any favourable tracks? I didn't have Irish in mind for this, so just UK, please. Cheers