** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Preview Nights - Cheltenham

Hi I hope you don't mind my putting this in the Cheltenham section but last year there was a section for preview nights with comments at the meetings - I found it informative and if anyone could contribute if they have attended one or have read about a preview could it be possible to post on here.(once again I hope this is ok to add )

Re: Preview Nights - Cheltenham I'll more than likely (depending on how much of a twat my boss is going to be about working Saturday) be going to the one at Doncaster this Saturday. Whether or not i'll be in any fit state to remember any of what's said is another matter entirely :beer :cheers

Re: Preview Nights - Cheltenham Hope all you guys attending the preview nights have a great evening and hopefully remember enough info the next day to put on here :beer Confession time - the mrs hates me having anything to do with the horses -( Lost Big time a few years back and learnt my lesson ) But I adore Cheltenham its the only time I look at racing and the festival is the best I have spent years doing stats and comparing races and built up an ok idea for the Chelt Festival.Shame to just let it go and I never bet big only pocket change - a couple of antipost and some select on the period. Mostly I just love the fact I got a winner in any race at the festival. Any way the crux of the matter is that obviously I cannot attend any previews or even ( worst of all - attend a race ):( Love the woman and my family to much to jeapordise what I have. So any info gleaned from this brilliant site and its patrons is well recieved. And I cannot thank you guys or this site enough. :notworthy

Re: Preview Nights - Cheltenham

I don't think that's all of them to be honest Phil More comprehensive list in the RP
I couldn't find any more listed online. Last few years there has been one in Pudsey but I can't find one this year. :(
I'm off to Cartmel (Ferdy Murphy is on the panel there Mowgli) I'll report back
Cheers, ask him about Kalahari King, it is having a spin round Donny after racing on Saturday too. :ok I took this from another forum, it's the festival preview from Exeter: Exeter Racecourse Preview Evening – Thursday 24th February
Panel: MC – Zoey Bird (ZB) David Pipe (DP) Nick Williams (NW) Paul Nicholls (PN) Philip Hobbs (PH) Andrew King (AK) Paddy Power, represented by Paul Binfield (PB) TUESDAY ZB: Let’s start with the first race of the 2011 Festival, the Supreme Novices’ Hurdle…Cue Card sets a very high standard… NW: His best form was shown before Christmas so that would be a worry for me. Nicky Henderson’s horses are flying and both of his (Spirit Son and Sprinter Sacre) can shake up the favourite. AK: Both of Henderson’s horses are high class. Sprinter Sacre potentially better of the pair but whether they can deal with Cue Card is another matter. PB: Barry Geraghty has a tough choice between the two Henderson horses but it’ll take a good one to Beat Cue Card PN: For me Spirit Son is the best of the two Henderson horses. He killed Cedre Bleu here (at Exeter) and I think quite a lot of Cedre Bleu. Al Ferof is a big price though, he jumps really well but he does have to improve. PH: Cue Card is very good but I agree with Nick that not running for a while may be an issue. Dunraven Storm has a squeak if I can get him there but he banged a joint this week. ZB: On to the Arkle, Paul, what about Ghizao? PN: He’s in good order and worked really well on Sunday. His form is good and he goes well fresh. He’s had a little break which was always the plan as we’re looking at good to Cheltenham then Aintree and then Punchestown. I can’t have Finian’s Rainbow so Medermit is the one to beat. PH: We’ll decide after this weekend about whether Captain Chris goes here or the Jewson. I think 2m4f is his trip but Richard Johnson thinks 2m is! Jewson looks easier. PB: Starluck is interesting if connections decide to come here, not Aintree. AK: I thought Captain Chris was unlucky to be beaten by Medermit at Sandown last time but Ghizao is still the one to beat. NW: Finian’s Rainbow has been running in uncompetitive heats and so Medermit shades it for me. DP: I quite like Finian’s Rainbow but Ghizao is rock solid. I’d prefer Captain Chris in the 2m4f race (Jewson). ZB: Champion Hurdle, the main race of the entire meeting? PH: Menorah is great. Everything has gone to plan, I’m very happy with him and it’s all systems go. AK: Binocular was very impressive last year and it’s tough to oppose him this year. Menorah and Peddlers Cross the obvious dangers. PB: Hurricane Fly is a big loser for us but Dunguib is a big price for me. NW: Front of the betting is solid but of that group I’d just give Menorah the edge. PN: It’s a good renewal. Menorah and Peddlers Cross are the two I’d like and if Jason Maguire’s ban is upheld I wouldn’t be surprised if Ruby (Walsh) took the ride on Peddlers Cross. Other Tuesday action… ZB: David, Great Endeavour for the Andy Stewart sponsored race? DP: He’s crying out for the step up in trip over fences so we’ll either run here or the Gold Cup. ZB: Reve De Sivola for the same race Nick? NW: Off a mark of 140 he should be competitive, the step up in trip will really help. ZB: Anything else on day one for you Paul? PN: Definity will run in the Centenary Novices’ Chase. His current mark is very nice. WEDNESDAY ZB: Let’s start with the Neptune… PB: Oscar Wells has been impressive so far but favourites don’t have a great record in this race (two wins in last 10 years). AK: Minella class didn’t look great when beaten at Huntingdon so now it’s very open. ZB: So Young? PB: It’s tricky because we don’t know what might run in the Albert Bartlett. That said, Bobs Worth will be tough to beat in either race! PN: Rock On Ruby ran well at Cheltenham last time and on better ground I think we can bridge the 2 length gap with Bobs Worth. The form of that race is solid and we have a great chance. ZB: Time For Rupert sets a solid standard in the RSA? NW: He’s a strong contender but, like Cue Card, he hasn’t run for a while which could be a problem. Aiteen Thirtythree’s price is wrong compared to the likes of Wymott and Wayward Prince, he should be shorter. PN: Aiteen Thirtythree is rated 159 which is only 2lbs behind Time For Rupert so the handicapper has them close. I’ve always thought he was a good horse, ever since his Point-to-Point days and he’s done nothing wrong so far. Time For Rupert is the one to beat. AK: I’d love to see Wishfull Thinking here as for me he as a massive e/w chance. Jessies Dream has a very good chance. PB: Jessies Dream has a massive chance, along with Master Of The Hall who did it nicely in the Reynoldstown at Ascot last weekend. ZB: On to the Champion Chase, how is Master Minded Paul? PN: I don’t think we’ll ever repeat his performance from 3 years ago. He’s had a nice break since Ascot and looked really well at evening stables tonight. I think everyone has us to beat. Woolcombe Folly, on good ground, will go very well. His progress this year has amazed me. PB: Somersby should run in the Ryanair but Master Minded will be tough to beat. Big Zeb is Paddy Power’s NAP of the meeting. AK: Master Minded has an excellent chance but Captain Cee Bee is interesting at a price, I know AP McCoy likes him. It’s completely ridiculous that Somersby is running here and not the Ryanair. ZB: Champion Bumper anyone…?! PH: Persian Snow’s Ascot defeat was due to the ground but he wouldn’t have a strong chance anyway. AK: I’d like to see Knight Pass win but Allure Of Illusion is apparently ‘the one’ for Ireland. PB: Star Neuville is interesting, Shark Hanlon think he’s the best of the Irish. Samain did it nicely last time but who knows what Willie Mullins’ best bumper horse is! I have no idea about Raise The Beat despite there being plenty of money for him recently. Other Wednesday action… NW: For Non Stop will definitely run in the Coral Cup. I’m keen on his chances off 135. PN: Pistolet Noir has a genuine e/w chance in the Coral Cup at a nice price. DP: Chartreux has been put away deliberately for the Festival, he’s a very nice horse. He’ll make a lovely chaser next year. THURSDAY PH: The Jewson is easier than the Arkle and RSA so makes sense so run Wishfull Thinking here. AK: Captain Chris a cracking bet if running here, the race is tailor-made for him. NW: Hells Bay is extremely consistent but Wishfull Thinking is the one. PN: I’m having a tough job getting Royal Charm right. Robinson Collonges is the interesting one. He’s been deliberately kept fresh and he’d have a good chance on good ground. ZB: Ryanair, Poquelin Paul? PN: He’s improved since last year and worked really well on Sunday so he’s got a leading chance. Tranquil Sea needs it soft, Riverside Theatre is a ‘maybe’ and Kalahari King has become disappointing so it looks a weak Grade 1. AK: Poquelin has a massive chance on good ground. ZB: On to the World Hurdle…a duel between Big Buck’s and Grands Crus? PN: Big Buck’s is in good form and I’m very happy with him. DP: There’s maybe more to come from Grands Crus, he’s only had 6 races. Big Buck’s is one of the best and it will be great if we can get both of them there in one piece. PN: If he doesn’t win it’ll be because he’s beat himself by not being relaxed. The better the race the better he’ll win. PB: Fiveforthree has had plenty of problems but has always been held in high regard. This looks a proper contest though as Solwhit would be another interesting runner. ZB: So let’s have a quick head count of the panel, Bucks or Crus? I’m with Big Buck’s. PB: Big Buck’s AK: Big Buck’s NW: Grands Crus PH: Big Buck’s FRIDAY ZB: What wins the Triumph? PB: Maybe hold your bets on Unaccompanied who I’ve heard a rumour about may go to the Supreme. Be careful. AK: Grandouet would be choice of the Henderson runners (A Media Luz the other) but not sure of their plans yet. I like Brampour though, the race should suit Paul? PN: He’s improved since Kempton and better ground will suit. In an open race he has a chance. I shouldn’t have run Sam Winner at Chepstow on soft ground and as it stands he’s the best of mine. NW: I think that form shown in the 6 weeks prior to the race is very important and so Unaccompanied gets my vote. PN: The Adonis at Kempton is normally very informative so keep an eye on Saturday’ race. ZB: Albert Bartlett… NW: I like Back In Focus, he was impressive at the weekend. PN: Join Together runs. He has good course form and is improving. Again, it looks an open race so he’d have a chance. PB: Tricky. First Lieutenant may go for the Neptune but if he line sup here would be interesting. AK: I liked Court In Motion until he got beat at the weekend! I can’t work him out! ZB: On to the Gold Cup… PN: Denman is in good form and working well, he looks great. I didn’t think he was finishing his races so we’ve operated on him. I’m hopeful of a big run, on Hennessy weights he can win. ZB: Diamond Harry Nick? NW: 3 weeks after the Hennessy he was still flying and I wish I’d never said he’ll come here fresh. Keeping him at that level for the last 3/4 months has been impossible as he’s galloped far more than I would have wanted and a run would have suited him much better. As a result, I was much happier with him a month after the Hennessy than I am now – I’ve mismanaged him. We got the run of the race in the Hennessy as not only did we get 2st off Denman he basically gave us 10 lengths too by going wide. For him to finish in 3rd was amazing considering everything that happen and the fact we were at our best that day. It was a great effort from him. PN: Kauto Star’s blood was not right after the King George but he seems fine now. He always works well at home so appears as good as ever. Overall it looks an open race. Long Run’s Cheltenham form is disappointing AK: Imperial Commander has a big question mark over him as apparently his recent work at Warwick was poor. Not sure Denman and Kauto can win at their age and Long Run is probably better on a flat track so maybe Midnight Chase. He has cracking course form and has a great chance to get in the frame. PB: Of the Irish, I’d have Pandorama over Kempes but this race looks a cracker with so many potential winners. CHARITY BETS PN: Aiteen Thirtythree (RSA) DP: Midnight Chase e/w (Gold cup) PH: Menorah (Champion Hurdle) NW: For Non Stop (Coral Cup) AK: Captain Cee Bee (Champion Chase) ZB: Kilcrea Kim (Albert Bartlett)
Interesting what is said about Diamond Harry, basically saying they have ballsed up his preparations. Also interesting to see Nicholls still has a lot of faith in Sam Winner, I see this as the Triumph winner. :ok

Re: Preview Nights - Cheltenham Thankyou for the update Mowgli quite informative - interesting Pauls Comment about the Adonis being informative especially regarding his horse Zarkander it will be interesting to see who he is keen on next preview night or when commenting on the triumph - Sam Winner or Zarkander ?? His comment on spirit son was worth noting especially regarding how high he rated his own horse Cedre Bleu. David Pipe commented : Chartreux has been put away deliberately for the Festival, he’s a very nice horse