** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Should late jockey changes be penalised?

Aidymac

Re: Should late jockey changes be penalised? Aidy, for someone who picks their best bet of the day 18 hours before the race i'm surprised this doesnt happen more often? Its a rediculous argument in so many ways, what about when you back a horse EW and you think its paying 4 places only to find NR's reduce your terms? You cant honestly expect to be compensated, tell me you are not serious with this thread, you are having laugh arent you?

Re: Should late jockey changes be penalised?

Aidy, for someone who picks their best bet of the day 18 hours before the race i'm surprised this doesnt happen more often? Its a rediculous argument in so many ways, what about when you back a horse EW and you think its paying 4 places only to find NR's reduce your terms? You cant honestly expect to be compensated, tell me you are not serious with this thread, you are having laugh arent you?
Of course i dont expect to be compensated, but i am of the opinion that if you have a jockey down to ride the horse and the jockey does not ride it, there should be a form of clause for punters where maybe they can back a different horse in the same race for the same stake or something like that! I never expect a refund.. I think too many things are in the bookies favour these days, for example an 18 runner handicap and after you put the bet on 3 horses are pulled out... Betfair pay 4 places still, i cant see why bookmakers couldnt do the same.

Of course i dont expect to be compensated, but i am of the opinion that if you have a jockey down to ride the horse and the jockey does not ride it, there should be a form of clause for punters where maybe they can back a different horse in the same race for the same stake or something like that! I never expect a refund.. I think too many things are in the bookies favour these days, for example an 18 runner handicap and after you put the bet on 3 horses are pulled out... Betfair pay 4 places still, i cant see why bookmakers couldnt do the same.
It would make a mockery of the market for the race, if people switched or were allowed to switch bets in a race, the bookies could rightly give rule 4 deductions as they do now if there is a significant event or major jockey change, where does it end ? When a tissue is formed bookies take into account who is riding what horse, so when you bet or take the price on a horse and the jockey changes you have to bite the bullet. Any trainer worth his/her salt will try and get the best jockey available if the intended rider can not ride IMO.

Re: Should late jockey changes be penalised? Yes i am fully aware none of these things will ever change, i just got frustrated when i backed the horse because of the jockeys record on it only for a different jock to go onboard, it is very annoying, but discussion closed now!!

Yes i am fully aware none of these things will ever change' date=' i just got frustrated when i backed the horse because of the jockeys record on it only for a different jock to go onboard, it is very annoying, but discussion closed now!![/quote'] I know how you feel many a time Ive struck a bet and the jockey gets changed, Yesterday I backed BEETUNA a hold up horse who goes well for Sam Hitchcott, I met the lad last year at Ponte who looks after the nag, he said it "needs holding up finishes like Seabiscuit", yesterday... Cathy Gannon gets the ride at short notice, blasts out in front and dies a death in the straight :eek. Knew it was screwed soon as she hit the front. No offence to Gannon shes an excellent jock, but she didnt know the horse and might have been following trainer orders !

Re: Should late jockey changes be penalised? It's quite easily rectified. if you really are so OCD about which jockey is on your horse. you can put your bet on ten minutes before the off and it's sorted. If you put your bet on eight hours before the race and things change (going, jockey, dolling off fences) then basically it's tough shit. That's why it's called gambling.

It's quite easily rectified. if you really are so OCD about which jockey is on your horse. you can put your bet on ten minutes before the off and it's sorted. If you put your bet on eight hours before the race and things change (going, jockey, dolling off fences) then basically it's tough shit. That's why it's called gambling.
I back horses early so i get a good price!! I think i know what gambling is by now.. :loon

There should be a clause which allows punters to void their bet if circumstances change dramatically such as the regular pilot getting injured on an earlier race.
Presumably you think the same should apply to the bookies? They should be allowed to void your bet if circumstances change dramatically in your favour?

Presumably you think the same should apply to the bookies? They should be allowed to void your bet if circumstances change dramatically in your favour?
Spot on, horse racing is unpredictable in the main thats why its exciting, jockey changes, going changes etc etc add to the excitement when you beat the bookies despite changes and your nag wins.

I back horses early so i get a good price!! I think i know what gambling is by now.. :loon
You could back a horse in the morning at 20/1, suddenly Frankie is riding it and the SP odds are 8/1, would you complain then ?

Pleased to hear it. So you'll no doubt be aware that you can't always have everything in your favour then. You seem to want to be able to take the best price early on and then have your money back if things change?:loon You have a choice between taking what you think is a good price early on and taking a risk of the conditions/jockey changing, or waiting until ten/fifteen minutes before the off and be sure that everything is as you'd like it to be. It's not as if the bookies are forcing you to take the risk. You can't have it both ways. You choose to take the early price so you choose to take a gamble and it's pointless to whinge about it when it goes tits up.

Pleased to hear it. So you'll no doubt be aware that you can't always have everything in your favour then. You seem to want to be able to take the best price early on and then have your money back if things change?:loon You have a choice between taking what you think is a good price early on and taking a risk of the conditions/jockey changing, or waiting until ten/fifteen minutes before the off and be sure that everything is as you'd like it to be. It's not as if the bookies are forcing you to take the risk. You can't have it both ways. You choose to take the early price so you choose to take a gamble and it's pointless to whinge about it when it goes tits up.
If you read my opening post, this thread is made on the basis i think there should be sanctions for owners/trainers if there is a late jockey change!! That is all i wanted to chat about, your making up things as you go along, i am not whinging about it, i had complained about it before the race even happened which means i did not whinge when it went tits up. Now as i already said for me the discussion is over

If you read my opening post, this thread is made on the basis i think there should be sanctions for owners/trainers if there is a late jockey change!! That is all i wanted to chat about
With the greatest of respect, that's rubbish. Your opening post says....
I So should there be some form of clause for the punter or some form of sanction for the owner/trainer if there is a late jockey change? I would not have backed this horse if Callan was not riding it.. :wall
So should there be some form of clause for the punter? Does that sound like a thread solely about sanctions on owners and trainers? No it doesn't. And in any event, the discussion has moved on to include people whining about having the opportunity to void their bets if changes are made, which makes my points valid. As I said in my first post, the bookie is offering you a price on the horse winning - not a horse/jockey combination. The point has been made about a comparison with football, if you placed a football bet and the three main players didn't start, could you argue that you had placed a bet on the basis that they would be playing so you would like to void it? If Pete Sampras sprained his ankle on his way out to the centre court, could you argue that you had placed a bet on the basis that his ankle was ok and you would like to void it? On the issue of owners and trainers, would you like them to be fined because their number one jockey is stuck in traffic? If so, what happens when the substitute jock goes on to win the race for them? The whole argument is ridiculous.

With the greatest of respect, that's rubbish. Your opening post says.... So should there be some form of clause for the punter? Does that sound like a thread solely about sanctions on owners and trainers? No it doesn't. And in any event, the discussion has moved on to include people whining about having the opportunity to void their bets if changes are made, which makes my points valid. As I said in my first post, the bookie is offering you a price on the horse winning - not a horse/jockey combination. The point has been made about a comparison with football, if you placed a football bet and the three main players didn't start, could you argue that you had placed a bet on the basis that they would be playing so you would like to void it? If Pete Sampras sprained his ankle on his way out to the centre court, could you argue that you had placed a bet on the basis that his ankle was ok and you would like to void it? On the issue of owners and trainers, would you like them to be fined because their number one jockey is stuck in traffic? If so, what happens when the substitute jock goes on to win the race for them? The whole argument is ridiculous.
You would put a hyena to sleep!! I got the point about 50 posts ago, i dont need you to keep repeating yourself... I said discussion closed earlier because i know what i said was wrong FFS!!!