Each way betting

For many years i only bet each way (horse racing) at 5/1 or bigger to ensure a tiny profit if my selection comes placed. This year i've changed my thinking and backed each way at lesser prices if i thought the horse was sure to be placed. What i want to debate is whether it is a prudent bet or not.If my horse comes 2nd at 7/2 i make a loss , however i don't lose all my stake. Heres 3 of my recent selections : Harbinger : King George and Q E Diamond Stakes ,£100 each way at 5/2 (ante post)i know the SP was 4/1). It won returning me £500 (6/4 on my total stake.) Starspangledbanner : July Cup £100 EW @ 3/1. Returning me £575 (15/8 combined) Paco Boy : Jacques le Marois £100 EW @ 5/2. Returns £150 (£50 loss) These 3 specific bets were on horses that i was almost certain they'd be placed but not confident enough to stake £200 win instead.At £100 EW the most i'd lose would be £50.Does anyone else bet EW at short prices?If so whats the shortest price you can back EW at? If you think its bad betting , why ?

Re: Each way betting That wouldn't suit me........but then I'm a £1 EW merchant........ :D I work on the principal that's it's a tenth odds if your horse is placed (fifth odds to half the stake) I tend to go for 25/1 and above...........tho' I have backed EW at lower odds, I'd never do EW at lower than 10/1 (evens for a place) Mind, if I was betting in hundreds I'd probably adopt your approach........:D

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.