Tennis - 16-22 August

Re: Tennis - 16-22 August

Jurgen Melzer > Ernests Gulbis. 2.14 @ Pinnacle (4/10) Worth a shot for sure. Gulbis still not 100% after coming back from injury he got in French Open. Has not won enough matches to feel good about him. Errors are huge part of his game and even more so in past 2-3 tournaments. Serve is his biggest weapon though is very inconsistent with occasional double fault. He was pushed all the way by nobody player Donald Young yesterday, winning a close match 7-6, 6-4. Ok, he was double break up in the 2nd set but choked and that is not a good thing. He was broken couple times and Melzer can match Young's feet. Besides the Austrian is a lefty and it's not a secret that Gulbis doesn't particularly enjoy playing lefties. He's not a player who likes to do a research before matches, he doesn't study opponents' game and this will be his first meeting with Melzer and I can see a very tough match for Ernests and reckon he will be beaten today because of the reasons I mentioned above. Melzer surely worth a shot at odds above evens.
I know you know your stuff on Gulbis. Good write-up and I'm going to follow.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wawrinka having a bit of a shocker too. Dominated by Benny' date=' chalked down as a loss already.[/quote'] I wouldn't give up on Wawrinka yet. This is Benneteau we're talking about. I'll be happy for the Frenchman to lose as long as he covers the +3.5 handicap!

Querrey has regressed since the last time I saw him. Awful movement' date=' attitude and backhand. Ferrer wants this more.[/quote'] The key to win for Ferrer is hitting to Sam's backhand. It's terrible. He misses shot after shot from backhand wing, but still has no brains to understand that his backhand doesn't work today and still hits it wide all the time when pushed into the corner.

The key to win for Ferrer is hitting to Sam's backhand. It's terrible. He misses shot after shot from backhand wing' date=' but still has no brains to understand that his backhand doesn't work today and still hits it wide all the time when pushed into the corner.[/quote'] Agree entirely. Querrey's serving has been poor too. This is Ferrer's to lose.

Re: Tennis - 16-22 August Querrey's level has dropped in recent weeks. Stan got what he deserved, had a few chances on 30-30 and 15-30 second serves. Once I seen Benny winning those points, the bet is gone.Dominated really, no complaints.When you can't break Benny in a whole match though, pretty bad.

Querrey's level has dropped in recent weeks. Stan got what he deserved, had a few chances on 30-30 and 15-30 second serves. Once I seen Benny winning those points, the bet is gone.Dominated really, no complaints.When you can't break Benny in a whole match though, pretty bad.
Benneteau really wanted it today. Was in the press saying how big a match it was for him. One of things. I'd back Wawrinka to beat him if they met at the US in a few weeks.

Re: Tennis - 16-22 August Had forgotten that Slams and Masters are not for Querrey. Can't remember him doing well in any of the big tournaments. The guy has won 4 titles this year, only couple of those were 500 level, if I'm not mistaken. 250ies is his level, really.

Tell you what else is bad' date=' Petrova can't break Safina. Had 12 chances and only done it the once, unbelievable that, has to up it.[/quote'] Brought this one up already. She even had 2 set points in the first set. How long will Safina will be able to get away this? Not sure what's going on this time, because the match is no televised. That Petkovic match was fixed for sure, have no doubts about it, having seen it. Have to wonder what's going on in this one. Don't believe she is that good to save so many break points. Having said that, Petrova can over-hit 9 shots out of 10. She's that type of player.

Brought this one up already. She even had 2 set points in the first set. How long will Safina will be able to get away this? Not sure what's going on this time' date=' because the match is no televised. That Petkovic match was fixed for sure, have no doubts about it, having seen it. Have to wonder what's going on in this one. Don't believe she is that good to save so many break points. Having said that, Petrova can over-hit 9 shots out of 10. She's that type of player.[/quote'] She had set points as well??? That's the problem with it not being televised, not sure what the situations are or whos really dominating the rallies. Just looks and sounds strange though judging on Safina's serve in her previous match.

She had set points as well??? That's the problem with it not being televised' date=' not sure what the situations are or whos really dominating the rallies. Just looks and sounds strange though judging on Safina's serve in her previous match.[/quote'] She had 40-15 @ 5-4 on Safina's serve. Failed to take two set points and was broken in the next game.

[7/10] Berrer - Gasquet' date= Gasquet to win @ 1.50 (pinnacle) This is the 'pick of day' for me. Berrer passed by Robredo monday with a hard fight on 3 sets, but that performance does not convince me, the spaniard being a shadow last months. On the other side Gasquet show nice tennis beating Youzhny with 2-1, coming back in the match after losing 1st set. In the second set, the Frenchman, ranked 41 in the world, raised his first serve percentage from 50% to 66% and the improved statistics help him to break on 2nd set and to win clearly the 3rd. H2H is 1-0 for Gasquet (6-2/2-6/7-6), the only match between these 2 guys was at Open de Mossel in Metz on hard/indoor in 2009. :hope
pure gold and Atko's under too, thanks for your pick, double money from ML and from under :cheers

pure gold and Atko's under too' date=' thanks for your pick, double money from ML and from under :cheers[/quote'] Cheers mate. I agree that Gasquet was the banker of the day although price was a bit too skinny for me. Great pick though, Berrer really isn't very good outdoors.

Cheers mate. I agree that Gasquet was the banker of the day although price was a bit too skinny for me. Great pick though' date=' Berrer really isn't very good outdoors.[/quote'] Gasquet was the banker indeed and I have him 2gether with Petrova. Great shame it won't come off, it seems :\