AUSTRALIA A-League 2010/2011 Season

Minor Premiers Sydney FC $3 @ Sportingbet 9 Units I really like Sydney again this year. While the loss of Kisel and Corica will hurt I think they have been replaced with just as good quality players. Scott Jamieson always provided spark at Adelaide United and has had a great preseason while Nicky Carle will be out to prove his signing was worth the dough and no doubt that he shouldn't have been snubbed for the Socceroos World Cup side. I'm a big fan of Mark Bridge and he showed his brilliance in many games last year. Him and Brosque up front are a formiddable combination and there are many goals to be had here. Losing Colosimo from the defence will be the greatest hurdle but they still have a rock solid line with 5 quality defenders in the squad at their disposal. The coach seems to be what a lot of the A League teams have been missing and his professionalism brought Sydney back last season from the poor period they went through. Any losses at home will be a shock and Sydney travel well so I expect to see them finish at the top of the table come season's end. Minor Premiers Perth Glory $10 @ Sportingbet 1 Unit Small saver bet. The only thing hindering Perth this season will be their travelling to the East Coast. Much like Wellington they are disadvantaged due to the much longer travelling to away games. I can't resist a dabble with the lineup they are putting on the park this season. If Jacob Burns can get some form up from last season, the addition of Fowler really bolsters the attack and I have no doubt Mile Sterjovski will step up further this season. He was unlucky last year not to put more goals into the back of the net even though still their top scorer and provided some great service for the other goalscorers. Top Goalscorer Shane Smeltz $4.75 @ Centrebet 8 Units Not much explanation required. Winner last year and has been a proven consistent scorer for the past few seasons. Gold Coast will have an ok season and Smeltz will continue to finish with precision and convert most opportunities given. Top Goalscorer Mile Sterjovski $21 @ Centrebet 1 Unit Way down the list due to the addition of Fowler to the Perth squad but I think this improves his chances. He is a great finisher and 5 or 6 times that I can remember last season produced epic shots to either hit the woodwork, be deflected and credit to other player or saved. From memory he ended up with 6 goals for the season but I expect him to at least double that this season. Probably won't trouble the Smeltzes and Ifill's but I don't believe he should be down around 30th mark and worth some small stakes.

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re:Australia A-League 2010/2011 Season Wooden Spoon North Queensland $2.40 @ Sportsbet 10 Units Taking rejects from other teams and throwing them all together as a football team isn't going to cut it this season. I hope I'm wrong for the sake of the game up north but it seems every other team has strengthened their squad while the Fury have lost the crux of their club in Fowler. They just managed to scrape together a mediocre squad before the FIFA cut off date and any injuries especially to Daal or Williams will seal their fate as there is no depth there at all. As low as $2.10 at other bookmakers.

Re:Australia A-League 2010/2011 Season

Thursday 5 August 2010 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Melbourne Heart v Central Coast Mariners (10:30 BST) 2.21 3.4 3.65 102.06 %
Friday 6 August 2010 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Adelaide United v Newcastle United Jets (11:00 BST) 2.4 3.45 3.2 101.90 %
maximize.gif Perth Glory v North Queensland Fury (13:00 BST) 1.67 3.8 6 102.86 %
Saturday 7 August 2010 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Sydney FC v Melbourne Victory (11:00 BST) 2.12 3.35 3.7 104.05 %
Sunday 8 August 2010 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Gold Coast United v Brisbane Roar (06:00 BST) 2 3.55 4.1 102.56 %

Re: Australia A-League 2010/2011 Season Trying a betting theory that will see me hopefully have time to compute the data each week... Melbourne Heart vs Central Coast - no bet...too unpredictable for a new team, but Heart draw no bet may be a bit of a money winner, however having said that, Aloisi, Sarkies and Shroj are all going to be absent. Adelaide United vs Newcastle - Adelaide at home, new coach, against Newcastle, and are paying $2.40? Yes please. Perth vs North Queensland - Perth are my premiership favourites, but they are no value here as I would like them slightly higher odds. No bet. Sydney vs Melbourne Victory - Sydney have the wood over us recently and are very good at home. Victory still are minus a striker and whilst looking good in the friendly I saw, they lacked a final touch without Thompson. Sydney to win. Gold Coast vs Brisbane - Gold Coast to win at home easily, Roar will be improved this year but where are the goals going to come from? Unknown quantities at this stage. My bets Adelaide win @ 2.30 Sydney win @ 2.15 Gold Coast win @ 1.91 (All with sportingbet) :hope

Re: Australia A-League 2010/2011 Season Melbourne Heart v Central Coast The new side in the league against a much changed side with a new coach. The Heart certainly look the goods on paper but that doesn't mean anything in the first round of the season and the Central Coast last year sprung a shock 2 - 0 defeat against Melbourne Victory at Etihad in the first round. No Bet Adelaide United v Newcastle Jets I like the look of the Adelaide squad this year despite some people predicting the worst yet for them. I watched many of their games last year and they looked great, crisp passing and great lead up play many times to be let down by poor striking options (Owusu). They now have a proven goal scorer up front as well as Leckie maturing into the starting lineup. I'm not sure what to make of Newcastle yet but based on last years form and a similar squad I'll take the decent odds on Adelaide at home for a first up win. Adelaide Win $2.30 @ Centrebet Will need to read up a little more on starting squads before commenting on the other 3 games for the round.

Re: Australia A-League 2010/2011 Season Word of warning to people looking at Perth Glory. Two of their new players (Baird and Josh Mitchell won't be playing due to their failure to get an international clearance (pay dispute with their old club). Chris Coyne is on loan in China and their 'Most Glorious Player' Andy Todd is out with an injury. They SHOULD win the match because of their squad depth but the odds are a joke for the first match of a season. In play could well prove to be a treat. I'm going to have a cheeky bet on Robbie Fowler scoring one past his old team mates just for the sake of fun! :tongue2

Re: Australia A-League 2010/2011 Season Perth Glory v North Queensland Fury Last night saw the first "upset" of the year with the Mariners getting one up on the Heart. I don't think we will see this tonight. I'm very wary of betting first round but $1.70 is a very fair price for the Glory imo. Based on last year's average form alone they should account for the Fury but NQ have an even weaker side on the park this year. There has to be a few goals in the Perth attack which looks absolutely potent while I'm confident the defence can hold the Fury to minimal goal scoring opportunities. Perth Glory Win $1.70 @ Sportingbet 10 Units Mile Sterjovski First Goal Scorer $8.50 @ Sportingbet 1 Unit

Re: Australia A-League 2010/2011 Season Perth Glory @ 1.66 BET365 North Queensland has been poor on away grounds,while in contrast, Perth Glory has been awesome at home. Without their talisman striker, Queensland are going to have lots of problem converting chances. They will probably have 1 or 2 here and there but, i will really doubt any goal coming out from Queensland. Besides, they have been poor in the pre-season, beating only reserve teams. Perth has won all their pre-season games and now with Robbie Fowler, i can see the nib stadium packed with people tonight. With the perfect atmosphere and home ground advantage, i can really see Perth taking it all home tonight. Besides, Queensland have yet to solve their problems off-field due to their financial hurdle. Lots of key players left and they take time to gel. I will liken Queensland to Portsmouth of the English Premier League. Portsmouth lost lots of game themselves didnt they?:tongue2

Re: Australia A-League 2010/2011 Season One of the great players in the A-league for Victory is Archie Thompson, i used to actually play tennis with him and he was pretty amazing even dribbling with the tennis ball ha. I wonder if anyone will ever beat his record of goals kicked in a grandfinal

Re: Australia A-League 2010/2011 Season Newcastle @ 3.44 pinnacle Some nice value about Newcastle here as they have picked some good players in Wehrman and Zafkovich. Defence is solid with Milicevic and Topor-Stanley down the middle while the two new players with Kantarovski should do well in midfield. Bridges gives them a goal threat so they have quality all over the park. Worried about Adelaide here as their preseason was nothing to get excited about and they will miss Cornthwaite in defence and Dodd up front. They do have some quality about them but Newcastle have looked better in pre season and may be a suprose packet this year. They also beat Adelaide in the corresponding game last year so like them to repear that with a win here Perth -1.5 @ 3.10 bet365 Can really see North Queensland struggling here and also for the rest of the season. They relied on Fowler in goals and now he is with Perth, so apart from him, there is not much else to say that they will be able to score, even without 2 of the Perth defenders. Expect Perth to go out hard as they are looking the team most likely to beat out Sydney and Melbourne for the title. They finished off last season well, and really only needed a finisher to complement their squad. With Fowler there, they have that player and can see him scoring here against his old team and leading them to a good win

Re: Australia A-League 2010/2011 Season

Newcastle @ 3.44 pinnacle Some nice value about Newcastle here as they have picked some good players in Wehrman and Zafkovich. Defence is solid with Milicevic and Topor-Stanley down the middle while the two new players with Kantarovski should do well in midfield. Bridges gives them a goal threat so they have quality all over the park. Worried about Adelaide here as their preseason was nothing to get excited about and they will miss Cornthwaite in defence and Dodd up front. They do have some quality about them but Newcastle have looked better in pre season and may be a suprose packet this year. They also beat Adelaide in the corresponding game last year so like them to repear that with a win here
from what I saw Newcastle looked the most likely, but a classic match of "Dont get beaten" by both teams

Re: Australia A-League 2010/2011 Season Newcastle looked the better of the two teams but their shooting was poor when in good positions as was their decision making as they could have passed to a player in a better position rather than having the shot. Adelaide look ordinary

Newcastle @ 3.44 pinnacle Some nice value about Newcastle here as they have picked some good players in Wehrman and Zafkovich. Defence is solid with Milicevic and Topor-Stanley down the middle while the two new players with Kantarovski should do well in midfield. Bridges gives them a goal threat so they have quality all over the park. Worried about Adelaide here as their preseason was nothing to get excited about and they will miss Cornthwaite in defence and Dodd up front. They do have some quality about them but Newcastle have looked better in pre season and may be a suprose packet this year. They also beat Adelaide in the corresponding game last year so like them to repear that with a win here Perth -1.5 @ 3.10 bet365 Can really see North Queensland struggling here and also for the rest of the season. They relied on Fowler in goals and now he is with Perth, so apart from him, there is not much else to say that they will be able to score, even without 2 of the Perth defenders. Expect Perth to go out hard as they are looking the team most likely to beat out Sydney and Melbourne for the title. They finished off last season well, and really only needed a finisher to complement their squad. With Fowler there, they have that player and can see him scoring here against his old team and leading them to a good win
Perth's defense has let us both down. :wall

Friday 13 August 2010 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Wellington Phoenix v Gold Coast United (08:30 BST) 2.37 3.35 2.95 105.85 %
maximize.gif Newcastle United Jets v Melbourne Heart (11:00 BST) 2.3 3.3 3.04 106.68 %
Saturday 14 August 2010 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif North Queensland Fury v Sydney FC (08:15 BST) 3.5 3.3 2.16 105.17 %
maximize.gif Melbourne Victory v Perth Glory (10:30 BST) 1.88 3.3 4.2 107.30 %
Sunday 15 August 2010 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Central Coast Mariners v Adelaide United (06:00 BST) 2.2 3.25 3.33 106.25 %

Australian A-League: August 13th -15th Wellington @ 2.28 pinnacle Wellington had the bye last week while the Gold Coast were unimpressive in their draw with Brisbane and now they go across the Tasman where they lost both games last year. The locals suprised people with their imporved performance last year and have been their home ground a very tough place to win at for any visiting side. Many of their players went to the recent World Cup and the experience they gained there should make them an even better side. Much of is expected of Wellington and like them to kick off their season with a win here, given that they have virtually the same squad as last year and the Gold Coast will need to improve quite a bit to have a chance here Newcastle @ 2.32 pinnacle Like the way that Newcastle played their opening game against Adelaide as they were the dominant side but for some wayward shooting woould have got more than a point from that game. Their structure was solid and their movement off the ball was quite good. Melbourne Heart were off the pace last week as the new side will take time to get all the players used to each other. While they have the makings of a good side, they made an avergae Central Coast side look good. Traveling to Newcastle will be a problem for them in their first away game as they face a side that will be hard to break down, while Newcastle will be able to cause them some problems until they get themselves sorted out

Re: Australian A-League: August 13th -15th From the a-league website: Teams: Wellington Phoenix squad: 1. Mark PASTON (gk), 2. Manny MUSCAT, 3. Tony LOCHHEAD, 6. Tim BROWN, 7. Leo BERTOS, 8. Paul IFILL, 9. Chris GREENACRE, 10. Oscar Roberto CORNEJO, 11. DANIEL, 13. Troy HEARFIELD, 14. Mirjan PAVLOVIC, 17. Vince LIA, 18. Ben SIGMUND, 20. Reece CROWTHER (gk), 21. Marco ROJAS, 22. Andrew DURANTE ©, 23. Dylan MACALLISTER *two to be omitted* Unavailable: 5. Diego WALSH (knee – 4 weeks), 15. Jade NORTH (international duty) Gold Coast United Squad: 1.Glen MOSS (gk), 2.Steve PANTELIDIS, 3.Michael THWAITE, 5.ROBSON, 6.Dino DJULBIC, 7.Zenon CARAVELLA, 8.ANDERSON, 9.Shane SMELTZ, 10.Jason CULINA ©, 13.Bas VAN DEN BRINK, 14.Joel PORTER, 15.Tahj MINNIECON, 16.Kristian REES, 18.James BROWN, 20.Scott HIGGINS (gk), 21.Golgol MEBRAHTU, 22.Adama TRAORE, 24.John CURTIS *three to be omitted* In: 8.ANDERSON, 18.James BROWN, 24.John CURTIS Out: Nil Unavailable: Daniel PIORKOWSKI (ankle injury – 4 weeks), Matt OSMAN (knee injury – indefinite) Teams: Newcastle Jets squad: 1. Ben KENNEDY (gk), 3. Adam D’APUZZO, 4. Nikolai TOPOR-STANLEY, 5. Ljubo MILICEVIC 6. Ben KANTAROVSKI 7. Kasey WEHRMAN 8. Michael BRIDGES, 10. Ruben ZADKOVICH, 11. Tarek ELRICH, 12. Jobe WHEELHOUSE, 13. Sash PETROVSKI, 14. Labinot HALITI, 16. Jeremy BROCKIE, 17. Marcello FIORENTINI, 18. Marko JESIC, 19. Ali ABASS, 30. Paul HENDERSON *two to be omitted* In: Nil Out: 21.Brodie MOOY (not selected), 22. Kaz PATAFTA (not selected), 2. Taylor REGAN (not selected) Unavailable: 9. Zhang SHOU, 20. Neil YOUNG (illness - indefinite), 15. Sean ROONEY (calf – 4/6 weeks) Melbourne Heart FC squad: 1. Clint BOLTON (gk), 2. Michael MARRONE, 3. Brendan HAMILL, 4. Simon COLOSIMO ©, 5. Michael BEAUCHAMP, 6. Matthew THOMPSON, 7. Rutger WORM, 9. Gerald SIBON, 10. Wayne SRHOJ, 11. ALEX TERRA, 12. Peter ZOIS (gk) 17. Jason HOFFMAN, 19. Eli BABALJ, 20. Josip SKOKO, 21. Kliment TASESKI, 22. Nick KALMAR, 23. Dean HEFFERNAN, 24. Aziz BEHICH *three to be omitted* In: 10. Wayne SRHOJ, 17. Jason HOFFMAN (promoted), 21. Kliment TASESKI (promoted) Out: Nil Unavailable: 15.John ALOISI (Hamstring – 3 weeks), 8.Kristian SARKIES (Leg – Indefinite), 14.Kamal IBRAHIM (not selected), 18.Ante TOMIC (not selected)

Re: Australia A-League 2010/2011 Season Wellington v Gold Coast After watching the Gold Coast at Skilled last week albeit a little loose I wasn't too impressed by what Gold Coast put out in the attacking department although they did manage a few shots on goal that were saved well by Theo. The defence was also breached numerous times but the Roar failed to capitalise. Wellington are suppose to be coming off the energy of the world cup but until we've seen the first game it's too hard to tell. I'm going to take the draw here. Smeltz and Ifill one a piece! DRAW $3.30 @ Sportsbet Newcastle v Melbourne Heart After watching the new team last week I think they are going to take a few rounds before the gel a little more. In saying that, they only let in one goal and a little more organisation up front could see them put a goal or two in. Newcastle are without Topor Stanley and Rooney so again in this game I think the odds on the draw are worth taking. DRAW $3.30 @ Sportsbet Hopefully all the draws haven't been used up in the first round :lol Have a good night all.

Re: Australian A-League: August 13th -15th Newcastle Jets to beat Melbourne Heart at 13/10. I don't know much about the A League. Last year I had a few bets on it though, mainly on the overs and unders markets. But this year with the addition of a brand spanking new team to the league has, I ain't gonna lie, tickled my interests. I don't know how adding new teams to the league works exactly but it seems quite unusual having a newly formed team get a place in the A League rather than a team who's been playing in the lower leagues for a while now. Anyway, back to my original point, the addition of Melbourne Heart had me interested and I ended up reading a few articles about them. I read that their squad has very talented and experienced players and that they have a very good stadium so I thought they'd want to win their very first official game and backed them to beat Central Coast last week. I thought the added pressure and excitement of playing their first game would fuel the players into playing on an epic level. Well, that really wasn't the case, to say the least. I watched the WHOLE game last week and I can honestly put my hand on my heart when I say throughout the entire match they only had a half chance with their 'famous' striker (name escapes me right now but it starts with an 'S' and is freakishly tall) shooting way wide of the goal. They did absolutely nothing for the entire game; don't get me wrong, they had the ball, they most definitely had the ball and loads of it but they couldn't do anything with it. There was no creativity, no through balls, no one making any runs. The team literally had zero ideas. So going by that, and going by the price offered for the home team (13/10!), I'm having a bet on Melbourne Heart to lose. Main reason is the fact that I honestly can't see how those same eleven players, who did sweet *bleep* all last week, are going to learn to play football together in less than a week. I just can't see it happening. Obviously, nothing's a guarantee in football (unless of course you count the fixed matches in the corrupt yet beautiful Turkish League) so Melbourne Heart could quite possibly go out there this morning (I know it's tonight in Australia but I live in London) and play Newcastle off the park. But I saw enough last week to confidently make an educated bet on the Heart to lose. Fingers crossed.

Re: Australia A-League 2010/2011 Season Good luck with your pick, what kind of coverage do you get in London of the A League? I would have thought none except maybe the Final! And the reason a new team comes straight into the competition is because we have no promotion/relegation system. Teams entering National competitions must prove they have the funds and backing to continue to be viable. Much like Rugby League and AFL competitions here, there are no National competitions in lower divisions, just State competitions. I guess the physical size of Australia will make it difficult for this to happen in the future as well.

Wellington v Gold Coast After watching the Gold Coast at Skilled last week albeit a little loose I wasn't too impressed by what Gold Coast put out in the attacking department although they did manage a few shots on goal that were saved well by Theo. The defence was also breached numerous times but the Roar failed to capitalise. Wellington are suppose to be coming off the energy of the world cup but until we've seen the first game it's too hard to tell. I'm going to take the draw here. Smeltz and Ifill one a piece! DRAW $3.30 @ Sportsbet Newcastle v Melbourne Heart After watching the new team last week I think they are going to take a few rounds before the gel a little more. In saying that, they only let in one goal and a little more organisation up front could see them put a goal or two in. Newcastle are without Topor Stanley and Rooney so again in this game I think the odds on the draw are worth taking. DRAW $3.30 @ Sportsbet
You take it as singles or a multi? Would've had a smirk on your face with the own goal by the Jets I bet hehe :lol

Re: Australia A-League 2010/2011 Season Wellington @ 2.28 :@ Give away a 3-1 lead to draw 3-3 late on Newcastle @ 2.32 :@ One of the worst own goals you could cop. Newcastle farthe better team, should have had a penalty earlier on, and without any pressure whatsoever, he kicks it over his own goalkeeper No luck in these games :wall

You take it as singles or a multi? Would've had a smirk on your face with the own goal by the Jets I bet hehe :lol
Had the singles and a microstakes (less than a fiver) on the multi paid around the $10.50 mark? Good result anyhow. Didn't actually catch the Newcastle game was at a mates watching Broncos lose :(