The Jockey Thread

Re: The Jockey Thread

Think this is completely different to what Erhaab and myself were discussing before he starts salivating at the fact someone agrees with him re: Hughes. It of course isn't acceptable. I personally can't think of any examples where Hughes has been beaten because he's dropped his hands at the finish and hasn't received a ban' date=' but willing to be proven wrong on that if shown an example.[/quote'] http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/results/28-07-2012/salisbury/result/513729/cathedral-hotel-salisbury-handicap/video Dropped his hands on Whimsical before the line and got beat by a nose. Went unpunished. An apprentice would have been castrated for such a ride IMO

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/results/28-07-2012/salisbury/result/513729/cathedral-hotel-salisbury-handicap/video Dropped his hands on Whimsical before the line and got beat by a nose. Went unpunished. An apprentice would have been castrated for such a ride IMO
Tough one to call that, you're probably right but doubt that an apprentice would have got such a harsh reaction as Hughes didn't exactly stop riding altogether, and it obviously wasn't on the same level as Lee Newmans (albeit his ban was very harsh, but he did have prior for the same offence). Fair enough though.

Hughes gets away with murder because he is 'Hughes' and it is somehow justified because that it is his 'style' (dropping hands and easing up when hitting the front). But if it was an apprentice that eased up close home' date=' they'd have the book thrown at them[/quote'] I agree . Below is a thread from a couple of weeks back which illustrates the point Fintron is making . Surprisingly nobody responded / cared / took interest .

I agree . Below is a thread from a couple of weeks back which illustrates the point Fintron is making . Surprisingly nobody responded / cared / took interest .
Think "no one really cared" as it was a bit of a daft point you were trying to make. Comparing the ride on Sir Mozart, which was an absolute blatant non-trier (I'll provide a link below) to one in which Richard Hughes actually gives the horse a chance in winning and then eases off when that has gone is clutching at straws. And come on, you cannot really believe that Laura Probert got tired can you? She literally was tanking on the best horse in the race, she barely had to do anything throughout the vast majority of the race and merely had to push it out and she would have won. She didn't do that. Sir Mozart (CLICK) Also in this race, I've never seen it where the rider actually forgot to take the blindfold off a horse in the gates :eek PS: On the subject of Laura Probert, anyone have any clue what this website is out? http://www.prometheusradio.com/lauraprobert/index.html

Re: The Jockey Thread It wasn't a daft point I was trying to make. I think you are over analysing everything here , its not the actual horses nor the jockeys which is my bone of contention. In amatuer races the stewards should take into account they have little or no experience of riding a real race . Its unfair to give them the same level of punishment as proper jockeys. If Laura Probert says she was exhausted then why should she not be believed ? It was her first ever ride . Don't you ever hear of jockeys at the beginning of the season they need a couple of weeks on the all weather to reach peak fitness. Not taking off the blindfold in time happens from time to time . Also this was an amateur race. Why be so harsh ? In the Gr2 Temple Stakes last year didn't the fav take off his blindfold during mid race ?

Re: The Jockey Thread Lee Newman has just announced his retirement again citing weight problems . He was a very good apprentice who won or nearly won the apprentice title when attached to the R Hannon yard. I wish him the best in the future. A lot of jockeys over the years have been forced to quit over weight issues , maybe it time again to rethink the minimum weight carried by horses . I know it has been raised a few times in recent years and maybe another rise is due again . It must be hard to live off a slice of unbuttered toast and a cup of black tea. Also it can't be healthy in the long term for those who are not naturally underwieght.

Re: The Jockey Thread When I saw Richard Hughes a couple of months ago at Newmarket his frame was dreadfully thin! Don't see how some of these jocks manage to keep their weight so low, especially as Hughes is quite a tall man. It looked so unnatural, especially as he ran out to the parade ring!

Re: The Jockey Thread You're right jay. It's unnatural and probably not very healthy. It's hard to understand how they can do this to their bodies but I suppose it is all about the passion for sport. Btw. I can't recommend enough Richard Hughes' autobiography. Fantastic read and he speaks about the weight issue there as well.

Re: The Jockey Thread Richard Hughes on Califante , 4 runners , 6.35 Salisbury , 2/1 favorite Sat motionless like a statue from before 3 furlongs out to 1 out looking like the most likely winner for the majority of the race. He begins to ride out at thye furlong marker and begins to draw away however the outsider also begins his challenge and manages to win by 1/2 a length. I know it was a 4 horse race and there was no pace but for 3 furlongs he could have kicked on and possibly won by several lengths , don't you hate it when jockeys try to be clever and then balls it up. It was a listed race and probably the connections were not bothered about future handicap marks so why can't they just ride them out and guarentee the win. I did back R Hughes and was a little miffed having spent a long time watching replays and going through the form. I don't mind losing its all part of the game but it is frustrating when you know you should have collected. The point of this post is the type of ride given here rather than another Richard Hughes bashing.

Richard Hughes on Califante , 4 runners , 6.35 Salisbury , 2/1 favorite Sat motionless like a statue from before 3 furlongs out to 1 out looking like the most likely winner for the majority of the race. He begins to ride out at thye furlong marker and begins to draw away however the outsider also begins his challenge and manages to win by 1/2 a length. I know it was a 4 horse race and there was no pace but for 3 furlongs he could have kicked on and possibly won by several lengths , don't you hate it when jockeys try to be clever and then balls it up. It was a listed race and probably the connections were not bothered about future handicap marks so why can't they just ride them out and guarentee the win. I did back R Hughes and was a little miffed having spent a long time watching replays and going through the form. I don't mind losing its all part of the game but it is frustrating when you know you should have collected. The point of this post is the type of ride given here rather than another Richard Hughes bashing.
He gave Varnish a terrific ride today thought, and had 2 winners. He must be doing something right.

Re: The Jockey Thread In last nights 8.00 Kempton , R Hughes on evens fav Jubilee Diamond hits the front a furlong out and rides a finish but as soon as he is overtaken by the fast finishing Spokeswoman , he stops riding but still clear enough to get second. He had no idea what was happening behind him , he didn't even have a look over his shoulder , once beaten it looked like he didn't care about the finishing position. I want horses to run their best every time , RIDE HIM OUT !!!

In last nights 8.00 Kempton , R Hughes on evens fav Jubilee Diamond hits the front a furlong out and rides a finish but as soon as he is overtaken by the fast finishing Spokeswoman , he stops riding but still clear enough to get second. He had no idea what was happening behind him , he didn't even have a look over his shoulder , once beaten it looked like he didn't care about the finishing position. I want horses to run their best every time , RIDE HIM OUT !!!
I am getting sick and tired of your Hughes slashing day in day out if i am totally honest. You don't like him, fine, no need to bash him every chance you get.

I am getting sick and tired of your Hughes slashing day in day out if i am totally honest. You don't like him' date=' fine, no need to bash him every chance you get.[/quote'] Yipp what he said, you have more than made your point erhaab. If you think he is a poor jockey then simply don't back him, lets move on.

I am getting sick and tired of your Hughes slashing day in day out if i am totally honest. You don't like him' date=' fine, no need to bash him every chance you get.[/quote'] I don't anywhere say I don't like him, infact somewhere I said he's a brilliant jockey , I don't like the way some jockeys don't give 100% , Hughes is one of them and being a top jockey he deserves more critisim than the mid table jockeys. Also I had a place bet on Hughes in that particular race , so ended in profit . So its not like I'm talking through my pocket. It seems he's liked by some on here and given an opportunity he's defended blindly.

Erhaab' date=' maybe you should put your money where your mouth is and become an owner so that you can instruct jockeys how you want them to ride.[/quote'] If I could afford to own horses for recreational fun , not for prizemoney I would instruct my jockeys to get the best possible position . If I was having a punt I would make it crystal clear I was having a gamble and I want them to win. I would be happy to have R Hughes aboard.

Clive Brittain had 3 today running in the colours of main patron Saeed Manana , all 3 were not ridden by Doyle . Doyle did however ride one for Brittain who the trainer owned himself. Doyle was riding most of Saeed Manana's horses up to a few days ago , has he been sacked by the ownwer or is it a one off ?
Seems like the Gr1 winning combo of Doyle and Brittain are no longer as I suspected in May , he's only had a very tiny amount of rides for Brittain since. Shame for Doyle , he's having a very tough time trying to re establish links .

Franny Norton will face a disciplinary hearing at the British Horseracing Authority's headquarters in London after he failed a pre-race breath test for alcohol at Salisbury on Thursday, his second such offence in the last 18 months. Norton was banned for 40 days after he failed at test at Chester May meeting in 2011 and can expect to receive a significantly longer suspension if he is found in breach again. He was stood down from his booked rides at Salisbury and his miserable afternoon was compounded when Winning Express, his intended partner in the Listed Dick Poole Fillies' Stakes, was steered to victory by the champion jockey-elect, Richard Hughes.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/sep/06/irish-champion-stakes-leopardstown-attendance?cat=sport&type=article

My God Johnny Murtagh had my heart in my mouth then on Sole Power !! Thought he was trying to go for a gap that wasn't there but fair play' date=' horse and jockey were world class in that race today.[/quote'] I agree. Vintage Murtagh. Although the horse showed a great turn of foot... A Group 1 horse running against Listed company, returned 5/2, unreal price in my opinion.

I agree. Vintage Murtagh. Although the horse showed a great turn of foot... A Group 1 horse running against Listed company' date=' returned 5/2, unreal price in my opinion.[/quote'] Spot on mate. Saw it had drifted out to 11/4 a minute or two before the race and wanted to go in again as I thought 2/1 (price I took) was value enough but backed out of it. 5/2 an insane price really with B.O.G but happily take that and well done to Murtagh and Sole Power and anyone who backed it today.