best bet of the day - Sat 5th June

3.15 Epsom The Dash is one of the finest sprint handicaps of the season and having finished fourth in this race last season I fancy OLDJOESAID to run a race off a mark 6 lbs lower. It could be noteworthy that Kevin Ryan has booked Jamie Spencer to ride, and with the prospect of the race being run exactly to his liking, from his low berth I'll take him at the price. All of his four wins have been over the minimum trip and he is versatile ground wise. 8/1 Coral, 1 pt win

Re: best bet of the day - Sat 5th June I'm napping in the big one: 4:00 Epsom - Jan Vermeer - Back I feel like a have a really good handle on the form lines going into this race. Workforce was the major talking horse going into the trials, but despite being 2nd was slightly disappointing that he was so well beaten by a horse, in Cape Blanco, that the O'Brien stable feel isn't worthy of being in this today, instead opting to send him to the French equivalent on Sunday. Rewilding is interesting but it is slightly concerning that his form is in races of a much lower standard than the other leading protagonists with listed being the highest level he's competed in thus far. Bullet Train is the potential fly in the ointment after a couple of smart victories but the strength of the opposition that he has beaten leaves a bit to be desired. I don't rate much else so that leaves me with the O'Brien pair. Midas Touch is a danger but the defection of Johnny Murtagh is an obvious dent in his chances. Another thing that worries me is that if Midas Touch had a genuine chance, I'm certain Heffernan would be on him. Strange that Heffernan is on At First Sight instead and at 150/1 he could run a big race to belie his humongous odds. That leaves me with Jan Vermeer. I have watched all the trials concerning the main contenders in this race, and his win in the Group 3 Gallinule on his seasonal re-appearance was in my opinion the best performance by any of the contenders, and by quite a long way. The way he tracked the leaders but then smoothly cruised into overdrive showed a real class. O'Brien's horses are rarely at their best in their first run of the season so the suggestion would be that he might even come on a bit for it. That's a frightening prospect. He destroyed a Group 3 field practically on the bridle that day so if he improves he could run away with this. I think he'll be far too good and could have a fair bit of daylight between him and the chasing pack come the finish line 1pt win @ 11/4 William Hill BOG

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.