** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Racing Ahead (Ante-Post Betting with BTP)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Racing Ahead (Ante-Post Betting with BTP) Current Cheltenham portfolio (prices in brackets are "thread prices") Supreme Novice Oscar Whisky 1pt win 25/1 (20/1) Champion Hurdle Punjabi 1pt EW 14/1 (12/1) Queen Mother Champion Chase Petit Robin 1pt EW 33/1 Ryanair Chase Barbers Shop 1pt win 8/1 (7/1) Chapoturgeon 1pt win 14/1 (20/1) World Hurdle Powerstation 1pt EW 33/1 World Hurdle (w/o Big Bucks) Powerstation 1pt win 20/1

Re: Racing Ahead (Ante-Post Betting with BTP) I've just backed Oscar Whiskey based on this thread but I took 20-1 with Stan James and I've backed it each way. :ok Good luck with all your ante post bets Billy. I'm already on Finians Rainbow but its drifted and looks like it won't go for this race. :(

Re: Racing Ahead (Ante-Post Betting with BTP)

taken 20/1 for the win :hope
:ok
I've just backed Oscar Whiskey based on this thread but I took 20-1 with Stan James and I've backed it each way. :ok Good luck with all your ante post bets Billy. I'm already on Finians Rainbow but its drifted and looks like it won't go for this race. :(
Cheers Phil. Although they've all been min bets so far I am pleased with how things are going. From the seven bets, five are shorter, one is the same (Powerstation) with just one bigger (Chapoturgeon). :hope

World Hurdle 2010 There are plenty of arguments against backing each-way ante-post; I know many respected regular ante-post backers who never back each-way. I personally believe there are occasions where ante-post each-way is correct.

On a daily basis, any decision to back each-way should never be based on price alone. The race and horse in question, as well as the price, should be taken into account.

With ante-post betting, the price is even less a factor, horse and race suitability are of utmost importance when deciding whether or not to risk the extra stake and play each-way.

This year’s World Hurdle at Cheltenham appears such a race. Big Bucks is now as short as 4/7 after his impressive win in the rescheduled Long Walk Hurdle at Newbury, and it’s a best price 10/1 bar.

It’s not often punters are allowed an each-way free reign on a such a book but due to obvious reasons, layers look at ante-post betting a little differently and are happy to accept each-way bets on an each-way friendly market.

As always the correct homework can negate the typical ante-post concerns and we could end up with a very attractive each-way bet, an opportunity we should grasp with both hands.

Unlike previous years there is a decent chance this year’s World Hurdle could cut up with a few would-be pretenders running scared of the reigning champion stayer. Diamond Harry may now go chasing earlier than planned, and there was a difference in opinion between trainer and jockey regarding the best distance and route for Sentry Duty after his facile win in the Freedom Hurdle at Cheltenham on New Year’s Day – plus there is a concern about his ability to hold his form, the previous two seasons have seen below-par efforts at the festival after previously impressive performances. There are also question marks surrounding the two horses behind Sentry Duty at Cheltenham, Katchit and Mr Thriller, regarding their suitability to three miles.

Therefore it’s possible we could see a field struggling to make double figures, having a big price each-way bet at ¼ odds 1-2-3 would be attractive position to be in.

Powerstation is very likely to take his chance and he appears the only viable option.

He was third to Big Bucks last year, splitting Punchestowns and Kasbah Bliss, in a race stronger than this year’s renewal. Decent ground and a strong pace is key to Powerstation so it’s no wonder the festival suits him so well; last year’s effort was the latest of three massive runs at the Cheltenham festival after finishing second to both Black Jack Ketchum in 2006 (Brit Insurance) and Burntoakboy in 2007 (Coral Cup) – he also boasts a consistent overall record at the track; 222236.

He was a little disappointing for the last of those runs in November when beaten eleven lengths into sixth behind possible World Hurdle rival Lie Forrit. However a 21lb weight pull and possible better ground at Cheltenham suggests he can reverse the form.

There have been some rude things said of him during his career and given he has finished second on twelve of his 28 hurdle starts and won only three, you could argue that some of those comments may have been justified. Bearing that in mind perhaps the best value of all is the 20/1 offered by Stan James in their market without Big Bucks. He is without doubt the standout of that list.

A Grade 2 victory over the Christmas period at Leopardstown confirms his well-being and everything points to another admirable display in March.

Of course due to the likelihood of Big Bucks winning an E/W bet on Powerstation is in effect a place-only bet at little over 7/2, but given that possibility of the race cutting up there could be trading opportunities on the win side nearer the race, or during it when Big Bucks hits his inevitable flat spot.

Powerstation 1pt each-way 33/1 William Hill, Paddy Power, Stan James

Powerstation 1pt win 20/1 Stan James (w/o Big Bucks)
Fairly happy with Powerstation's run in the 1.35 at Gowran Rark. Small field on heavy ground couldn't be worse for him so his 2nd shows his well being and in my opinion he has never been in better form. The Tote have pushed him out 25/1 to 33/1. I've slagged off their ante-post thinking already on this thread. I'm not saying he shouldn't be 33/1 but knocking him out after that performance shows a real lack of understanding - about horses and ante-post betting. They did the same with Niche Market and were forced back into 25/1 and they were also the last firm to shorten Royal Mix after Me Voici's G1 win. Every other firm shorted to 16/1 within 5 minutes and the Tote were sitting twiddling their thumbs while their 33/1 was getting smashed. :lol Hopefully we'll see some post-race trainer comments about Powerstation that will confirm his plans. :hope

Re: Racing Ahead (Ante-Post Betting with BTP) Punjabi and Petit Robin beaten at the weekend but was not a bit surprised. Punjabi needs more racing and better ground and I'm still convinved Petit Robin is a better horse left-handed, as mentioned earlier in the thread. If I were on the ball a little more I should've laid them ante-post Saturday morning (at shorter priced than advised previously) and then gone in again at the bigger prices Saturday night. Punjabi 8s out to 14s. Petit Robin 10s out to 16s I should go in again as the drifts aren't justified in my opinion and I'm still convinced they will go close at the Festival.

Re: Racing Ahead (Ante-Post Betting with BTP) Cheltenham Gold Cup More haste - less speed, so the saying goes and oddly enough the proverb could be the key to unlocking the fascinating w/o the big two Gold Cup market.

With the likelihood of both Denman and Kauto Star finishing in the first four home and bookmakers offering each-way 1-2-3, selections can finish as low as fifth and still see a return.

Denman and Kauto may be absent from the market but not the race, the pair will undoubtedly dictate how the race will be run and the effect that could have on their rivals should not be underestimated.

We saw on Boxing Day what can happen to those who try and mix it with Kauto Star at the head of proceedings, with the distances Nacarat and Barbers Shop were beaten not doing their performances justice. Denman too in the past has ground rivals into submission and those attempting to take on the duo could ruin their chances of a prominent finishing position. Imperial Commander, Cooldine, Carruthers, Notre Pere and Madison Du Berlais have all shown their best form when up with the pace and could suffer when the Nicholls’ pair begin turning the screw.

There are other negatives surrounding the market leaders too; What A Friend has yet to be confirmed a definite runner, Cooldine scoped badly after flopping in the Lexus three weeks ago, Carruthers and Madison Du Berlais have previously failed to show their form at Cheltenham and Money Trix and Notre Pere are unlikely to show up unless it’s soft ground.

It’s possible a horse ridden only to place, or with another day in mind, will run into the bronze position by default.

Mon Mome looks the ideal candidate. With the weights for the Grand National long published by Gold Cup day, connections may see this as the ideal prep race for Aintree. It could be in his favour to be ridden with April in mind and he will be staying when others have cried enough. If they go as hard as I expect them to up front, a top-five finishing position is well within his capabilities.

He acts well at Cheltenham; finishing unplaced just once from five completed starts (U24613), and given the circumstances looks way over priced.

Cheltenham Gold Cup (w/o Kauto Star and Denman)

Mon Mome 1pt each-way

40/1 William Hill, Paddy Power Arkle Trophy

No one could fail to be impressed with Somersby’s victory in the Henry VIII novices chase at Sandown in December where the winning time was 1.8secs quicker than Twist Magic’s Tingle Creek on the same card.

The ill-fated Crack Away Jack did his bit for the form on his next start when not disgraced behind genuine Champion Chase hopefuls and his Sandown victor looks the best value at the moment.

Third behind Go Native in last year’s Supreme novice, Somersby’s impressive jumping and high cruising speed make him an ideal Arkle type and with an easy prep planned for later this month, it’s time to strike - snap up the last remaining 8/1 with Ladbrokes.

Arkle

Somersby 1pt win

8/1 Ladbrokes ------------------------ Mon Mome ran well at the weekend and it suggested he could be capable of the performance I talk about above. Far from a certain runner in the GC though, however at the price it's worth the risk.

I’m not a fan of following chasers after extensive hurdling careers so for this year’s Arkle I’d much rather be with the likes of Captain Cee Bee, Somersby and Riverside Theatre than the previous Champion hurdle contesters Sizing Europe and Osana.

Mon Mome 1pt each-way

40/1 William Hill, Paddy Power
Interesting bet, mate. I was thinking of something similar on Tricky Trickster e/w with saver on Cooldine at 5/1. I would have considered TT at 20/1 e/w, but only Stan James and no e/w at the moment. Mon Mome also looks very tasty at 50/1 there, but again not worth it if there's no e/w :unsure

Interesting bet' date=' mate. I was thinking of something similar on Tricky Trickster e/w with saver on Cooldine at 5/1. I would have considered TT at 20/1 e/w, but only Stan James and no e/w at the moment. Mon Mome also looks very tasty at 50/1 there, but again not worth it if there's no e/w :unsure[/quote'] Yes I was looking at Tricky Trickster, but like you say, not at those prices. Casey Jones is another if all is well with him. Mon Mome ran a great race at the weekend and I believe it confirms he can run a race in this year's Gold Cup. Venetia Williams has since said the Gold Cup "is an option rather than a target". I knew he wasn't a certain runner but at the price I couldn't resist. I really can't see how you'd run him anywhere else personally. He goes for the Haydock 3m4f mid Feb (which I hope Coe targets) but if they want another run before Aintree it's has to be the Gold Cup, surely?

Cheltenham Gold Cup More haste - less speed, so the saying goes and oddly enough the proverb could be the key to unlocking the fascinating w/o the big two Gold Cup market.

With the likelihood of both Denman and Kauto Star finishing in the first four home and bookmakers offering each-way 1-2-3, selections can finish as low as fifth and still see a return.

Denman and Kauto may be absent from the market but not the race, the pair will undoubtedly dictate how the race will be run and the effect that could have on their rivals should not be underestimated.

We saw on Boxing Day what can happen to those who try and mix it with Kauto Star at the head of proceedings, with the distances Nacarat and Barbers Shop were beaten not doing their performances justice. Denman too in the past has ground rivals into submission and those attempting to take on the duo could ruin their chances of a prominent finishing position. Imperial Commander, Cooldine, Carruthers, Notre Pere and Madison Du Berlais have all shown their best form when up with the pace and could suffer when the Nicholls’ pair begin turning the screw.

There are other negatives surrounding the market leaders too; What A Friend has yet to be confirmed a definite runner, Cooldine scoped badly after flopping in the Lexus three weeks ago, Carruthers and Madison Du Berlais have previously failed to show their form at Cheltenham and Money Trix and Notre Pere are unlikely to show up unless it’s soft ground.

It’s possible a horse ridden only to place, or with another day in mind, will run into the bronze position by default.

Mon Mome looks the ideal candidate. With the weights for the Grand National long published by Gold Cup day, connections may see this as the ideal prep race for Aintree. It could be in his favour to be ridden with April in mind and he will be staying when others have cried enough. If they go as hard as I expect them to up front, a top-five finishing position is well within his capabilities.

He acts well at Cheltenham; finishing unplaced just once from five completed starts (U24613), and given the circumstances looks way over priced.

Mon Mome 1pt each-way

40/1 William Hill, Paddy Power Arkle Trophy

No one could fail to be impressed with Somersby’s victory in the Henry VIII novices chase at Sandown in December where the winning time was 1.8secs quicker than Twist Magic’s Tingle Creek on the same card.

The ill-fated Crack Away Jack did his bit for the form on his next start when not disgraced behind genuine Champion Chase hopefuls and his Sandown victor looks the best value at the moment.

Third behind Go Native in last year’s Supreme novice, Somersby’s impressive jumping and high cruising speed make him an ideal Arkle type and with an easy prep planned for later this month, it’s time to strike - snap up the last remaining 8/1 with Ladbrokes.

Arkle

Somersby 1pt win

8/1 Ladbrokes ------------------------ Mon Mome ran well at the weekend and it suggested he could be capable of the performance I talk about above. Far from a certain runner in the GC though, however at the price it's worth the risk.

Agree 100% with your Arkle comments / tip Billy. Have also backed Sommersby, though am already down on Crack Away Jack. Doubt if Sizzing Europe will find much off the bridle and looked beaten before Captain Cee Bee fell at the last. Very impressed with how Riverside Theatre jumps. Agree a hold up horse may be the answer to betting without big two in the Gold Cup. Mon Mome is more a tracks pace horse but do expect a hold up ride in March. However, judging by the way he's been ridden lately, doubt if he will be put under enough pressure to get close enough under the probable conditions (good or good-soft at 3m2f100yds). Seems more of a bet for another Grand National to me. Do you think he'll be given a pound or two more than his park course mark for April Billy?

I’m not a fan of following chasers after extensive hurdling careers so for this year’s Arkle I’d much rather be with the likes of Captain Cee Bee, Somersby and Riverside Theatre than the previous Champion hurdle contesters Sizing Europe and Osana.

Re: Racing Ahead (Ante-Post Betting with BTP) Agree about Petit Robin, he'll be far better suited to Cheltenham. Surprised he lasted that long after jumping left handed and making mistakes. Looks an excellant price now, just think I'll wait for nrnb and take (hopefully) a slightly shorter price. Though the Game Spirit may alter things by then. :hope

Agree about Petit Robin' date=' he'll be far better suited to Cheltenham. Surprised he lasted that long after jumping left handed and making mistakes. Looks an excellant price now, just think I'll wait for nrnb and take (hopefully) a slightly shorter price. Though the Game Spirit may alter things by then. :hope[/quote'] If you're worried by eventual Ryanair run, don't be. Henderson said he is definitely going to the Queen Mum despite 2m4f probably suiting him better. Said eventual 2m4f at Aintree would be perfect, but the Ryanair 2m5f will be too far.

Re: Racing Ahead (Ante-Post Betting with BTP) If MM is back to his best, then hardly beatable. If not, then it's Twist Magic or Petit Robin for me. Well Chief will run his best race of the season there and will be fresh, but that may not be enough even for a palce this time. Barker and Big Zeb very disappointing this season, but Barker had a setback, so who knows. Forpadydeplaster and Kalahari King won't be good enough imo. Twist Magic is a completely new horse and if the big crowd doesn't affect him, he could be hard to beat and could possibly even beat an on song MM. Petit will be different horse going left handed.

Agree a hold up horse may be the answer to betting without big two in the Gold Cup. Mon Mome is more a tracks pace horse but do expect a hold up ride in March. However, judging by the way he's been ridden lately, doubt if he will be put under enough pressure to get close enough under the probable conditions (good or good-soft at 3m2f100yds). Seems more of a bet for another Grand National to me. Do you think he'll be given a pound or two more than his park course mark for April Billy?
You would've thought the same about previous national horses, yet many crept into a top-6 finish. With this year's Gold Cup likely to me more punishing than normal I think it's a possibility a real stayer can run well. I actually think he has a more chance of a 3-4-5-6 in the GC than he has in the GN. His Cheltenham form is pretty decent too.

Re: Racing Ahead (Ante-Post Betting with BTP) Skybet Chase (Doncaster, Saturday) At just the tender age of six, Calgary Bay was running the risk of becoming a forgotten horse. After a decent novice hurdle career and an encouraging start to chasing there were high hopes, and as with every promising Henrietta Knight novice it seems, there were a few Best Mate comparisons.

However such comments where hushed fairly abruptly after three poor efforts in the spring. He was never going to have enough toe for the Arkle but the disappointing runs that followed at Aintree and Uttoxeter (cheekpieces), over more suitable trips, were an obvious concern - although it was reported he did return with a problem after the last of those outings. November at Newbury saw a similar display, again wearing cheekpieces, when he weakened tamely after a mistake.

It was difficult to see coming but he bounced back to form with an almighty bang at Doncaster in December. Without the headgear he jumped much better and travelled supremely well before recording an eased down six-length victory. This was just his second start at three miles and it seems connections finally appear confident about his ideal conditions; staying trips, left-handed, decent ground.

A justified 11lb hike from the handicapper, but there is undoubtedly more to come from Calgary Bay at longer trips and his new mark looks within his capabilities. He currently heads the weights for Saturday’s Skybet Chase over the same course and distance as his December win and the current best price of 14/1 seems generous.

Lightly-raced chasers have an excellent record in the race with many going on to be real-staying types or even Grand National horses, with Henrietta Knight’s recent comments regarding a possible future tilt at Aintree with Calgary Bay, there are ticks in plenty of boxes.

His stamp makes him an excellent weight carrier and with the novices below not looking obviously well treated everything points to a gallant weight carrying performance.

Nenuphar Collonges under performed in the Hennessy but it’s possible the run came a little too soon after his sixth in the Badger Ales chase at Wincanton three weeks prior. His form when off the course for two months or more reads 612116, and with the yard back in form he could run well.

However at the prices it has to be Calgary Bay and with the race lacking depth this year, I believe each-way at a ¼ 1-2-3-4 is in order.

Skybet Chase Calgary Bay 1pt each-way 14/1 Victor Chandler NB Very worrying jockey booking in Andrew Thornton. It's totally ruined this bet for me.

Re: Racing Ahead (Ante-Post Betting with BTP) Gutted about this jockey booking. With a more encouraging jockey booked CB would've been close to favourite. However he has drifted badly as soon as Andrew Thornton was confirmed as pilot. Despite being as low as 15/2 before the final decs I reckon he could drift to as big as his 14/1 ante-post price. What was she thinking? I worry for Somersby.

Re: Racing Ahead (Ante-Post Betting with BTP) I was interested in Calgary Bay with the exact conditions you note, it gallops and seems an out and out stayer, seems to lack any kind of turn of foot at the end of its races but stays all day and has not reacted too well to the whip in the past. It impressed me when winning at Doncaster and if its anywhere near double figures tomorrow I'll be having a few quid on it. Good luck with it Billy, despite A.Thornton being on board. :ok

Re: Racing Ahead (Ante-Post Betting with BTP) Andrew Thornton may have a style all of his own, but still a very capable jockey. Sounds a bit like punter making excuses before the race has started. :lol But I know you would not do such a thing Billy. ;) Andrew was in Lorney Hill's team in the quiz I was in this week. He knows his stuff too.

Andrew Thornton may have a style all of his own, but still a very capable jockey. Sounds a bit like punter making excuses before the race has started. :lol But I know you would not do such a thing Billy. ;) Andrew was in Lorney Hill's team in the quiz I was in this week. He knows his stuff too.
When you're struggling in the game like I am you need all the excuses in the world.

Skybet Chase Calgary Bay 1pt each-way 14/1 >Victor Chandler NB Very worrying jockey booking in Andrew Thornton. It's totally ruined this bet for me. ------------------------------- i would be worried also--dont rate him at least you can trade out:okand have a freebie
Yeah I will be definitely thinking about that option. Maybe half my bet or something. :ok
I was interested in Calgary Bay with the exact conditions you note' date=' it gallops and seems an out and out stayer, seems to lack any kind of turn of foot at the end of its races but stays all day and has not reacted too well to the whip in the past. It impressed me when winning at Doncaster and if its anywhere near double figures tomorrow I'll be having a few quid on it. Good luck with it Billy, despite A.Thornton being on board. :ok[/quote'] Thanks Phil. Hopefully he'll run well. :ok

Re: Racing Ahead (Ante-Post Betting with BTP) Today's meeting at Donny was called off so my bet on Calgary Bay was a N/R. That is the 2nd time that has happend so far and it means I'm yet to have a runner this year and just one bet in total. The last abandonned race was the Ladbroke and it was especially gutting to see Mamlook bolt up last weekend on his next start at 10/1, over the same c&d, the c&d that was so pivotal in the selection process.

The Ladbroke - Ascot 19th December

David Pipe’s Mamlook put in a career-best performance when chasing home Celestial Halo from 10lb out the weights at Wincanton back in November and those in-behind have since franked the form. Whiteoak (third) was impressive in a Listed Hurdle at Kempton next time out, while Marodima (fourth) wasn’t disgraced when sixth to Lie Forrit at Newbury over a trip that stretches his stamina. The same can be said about Blue Bajan (fifth) who ran as well as could be expected in the Fighting Fifth, and Tasheba (last) won the Listed handicap hurdle at Sandown at the weekend. Although it can be argued that both Whiteoak and Tasheba needed the run at Wincanton, it is fine form nonetheless and the fact that Mamlook’s performance came from so far out the weights cannot be ignored.

He missed his next intended start when pulled out at the final declaration stage for the Greatwood at Cheltenham the following weekend. Perhaps it was felt more time was needed after the Wincanton run - it was reported he returned with a “slight nick”. Personally I believe it a blessing in disguise as the gelding has disappointed badly in three previous runs at the track. His hurdle form away from the undulations of Cheltenham is ultra-consistent, as is his flat form (placed in two Cesarewitch’s and at Royal Ascot).

I rate him a little higher than the handicapper does at present and cannot ignore him at the price on a track that suits him so well. All being well he has an excellent chance of improving on his sixth of last year.

Mamlook 1pt EW 12/1 generally

Re: Racing Ahead (Ante-Post Betting with BTP) oh come on Billy--after timing 1 thing---- but 6 weeks???[Mamlook] we can all pull this 1 about any of our selections--weeks later:ok If you thought this horse was well in u coulda flaged it for this particular race-thurs,fri. sat.when entries were out--no excuse poker weekend m8,you did plenty enough posts those days no offence intended--i read most of your posts and take on board all your views as they are very informative and you clearly know the game

oh come on Billy--after timing 1 thing---- but 6 weeks???[Mamlook] we can all pull this 1 about any of our selections--weeks later:ok If you thought this horse was well in u coulda flaged it for this particular race-thurs,fri. sat.when entries were out--no excuse poker weekend m8,you did plenty enough posts those days no offence intended--i read most of your posts and take on board all your views as they are very informative and you clearly know the game
Only just seen this post. You have totally got the wrong end of the stick, please read the following carefully as you're wrong on two accounts. a) It's not aftertiming. It's more a case of "ain't it f*cknig typical!" Besides like I say I think you have misunderstood things. I could not "flag it up" as these posts are a duplication of my articles in Raceform Update. That column is based on ante-post racing only. I cannot give selections that are not in active ante-post markets. As there was no ante-post market for the race last week I could not write about it. b) Also I don't do plenty of posts, certainly not tipping. I cannot, tipping is a part of my livelihood which is why I don't tip my daily bets on here. I only tip on this thread as the bets have already gone to press days before. I also tip on my ratings thread. But day to day stuff is not on PL anymore I'm afraid. Honestly, I wonder why I bother spending hours on these threads sometimes.

oh come on Billy--after timing 1 thing---- but 6 weeks???[Mamlook] we can all pull this 1 about any of our selections--weeks later:ok If you thought this horse was well in u coulda flaged it for this particular race-thurs,fri. sat.when entries were out--no excuse poker weekend m8,you did plenty enough posts those days no offence intended--i read most of your posts and take on board all your views as they are very informative and you clearly know the game
Only just seen this post. You have totally got the wrong end of the stick, please read the following carefully as you're wrong on two accounts. a) It's not aftertiming. It's more a case of "ain't it f*cknig typical!" Besides like I say I think you have misunderstood things. I could not "flag it up" as these posts are a duplication of my articles in Raceform Update. That article is based on ante-post racing only. I cannot give selections that are not in active ante-post markets. As there was no ante-post market for the race last week I could not write about it. b) Also I don't do plenty of posts, certainly not tipping. I cannot, tipping is a part of my livelihood which is why I don't tip my daily bets on here. I only tip on this thread as the bets have already gone to press days before. I also tip on my ratings thread. But day to day stuff is not on PL anymore I'm afraid. Honestly, I wonder why I bother spending hours on these threads sometimes.
I initially thought the post by winsome was tongue in cheek, hard to know sometimes when it is text on a screen, maybe a ;) rather than a :ok if that was the case??? BTP's post was not trying to claim a winner or anything, simply commenting that one he had mentioned and given reasoning for fancying went and won next time out. It's happened to me a few times as I don't use those horse alert things, try to go through runners index daily instead. I think the comments were uncalled for personally, it's not like he is trying to claim winners and add them to some kind of profit.

Today's meeting at Donny was called off so my bet on Calgary Bay was a N/R. That is the 2nd time that has happend so far and it means I'm yet to have a runner this year and just one bet in total. The last abandonned race was the Ladbroke and it was especially gutting to see Mamlook bolt up last weekend on his next start at 10/1, over the same c&d, the c&d that was so pivotal in the selection process.
Don't think W1nsome's post was too bad Billy, more praise than anything. Anyway, have they changed the distance of The Ladbroke? Surely it is over 2 miles where as the Victor Chandler Holloway Hurdle was over 2m 3f 110 yrds. NOT "the same c&D, the same c&D that was so pivotal in the selection process" at all (that I can see). Mamlook is a stayer on the flat, it is very probable the extra 3.5 furlongs made a big difference to his performance. There's no knowing whether the outcome of the Ladbroke would've been the same as the VCH. This is an excellant thread Billy, we all appreciate it. But there is bound to be one or two posts you don't like. :ok Mark

Don't think W1nsome's post was too bad Billy, more praise than anything. Anyway, have they changed the distance of The Ladbroke? Surely it is over 2 miles where as the Victor Chandler Holloway Hurdle was over 2m 3f 110 yrds. NOT "the same c&D, the same c&D that was so pivotal in the selection process" at all (that I can see). Mamlook is a stayer on the flat, it is very probable the extra 3.5 furlongs made a big difference to his performance. There's no knowing whether the outcome of the Ladbroke would've been the same as the VCH. This is an excellant thread Billy, we all appreciate it. But there is bound to be one or two posts you don't like. :ok Mark
Maybe it wasn't that bad but I just wanted to explain to w1n that restrictions of this thread. :ok Not the same c&d my mistake. Although the manner of the victory led me to believe he would've gone close in the Ladbroke, he had this won 4f from home - but I'm gonna say that, I tipped him to win the Ladbroke. It was really just a nothing post anyway. As Phil said I'm not trying to claim a winner, it's more about post-race discussion, to fuel it at least. Rather than splitting hairs I'd be noting what I've pinpointed... Mamlook: undulating tracks 1000 (win coming at 8/15) elsewhere 171B23644221 (the 7th (of 15) coming when under a double penalty as juvenile, giving at least a stone away) ;)

Re: Racing Ahead (Ante-Post Betting with BTP) billy was.nt trying to take you down m8--just like youself when we have a view on a horse then somehow miss it--we feel gutted,and hope some1 has at least backed it on views summarised earlier:hope[which is why you reposted above] It was a real good write up about Mamlook [like most of your write ups]& you were spot on about it,and it duly trotted up. ---------------------------------------------------

billy was.nt trying to take you down m8--just like youself when we have a view on a horse then somehow miss it--we feel gutted' date='and hope some1 has at least backed it on views summarised earlier:hope[which is why you reposted above'] It was a real good write up about Mamlook [like most of your write ups]& you were spot on about it,and it duly trotted up. ---------------------------------------------------
:ok Just wanted to explain how this particular thread works. I didn't miss Mamlook as such, it was a case of my hands being tied, I could not tip it anyway as it was not an ante-post race. That is why it's going to be hard for this thread to make a profit, it being ante-post only. I think it will work better after the spring when we have big races every weekend almost. Fingers crossed though obviously. Be lucky.