** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

JJ is the SB?

L3goH3ad

Stars $5 NLHE Tourney. I'm in the SB with JJ, folds round to the button who limps for 250, i make it 1200 (roughly 5x BB), BB calls and button folds. Flop Ks 2s 2d. I bet out half pot, he calls. 3c on the turn. Check Check. 8s on the river completing a flush draw. I value bet (like an idiot) and he smooth calls and shows AA. Any thoughts? Really bad play on my part to bet the river? IN THE SB SORRY, SPELLING MISTAKE MAY CONFUSE!

Re: JJ is the SB? A call on the flop means... A king A deuce A flush draw AA Pocket pair 33-TT He's floating There aren't many scenarios where you were called on the flop and would still be winning by the river. Therefore I wouldn't value bet the river. On the occasions you are in front (floated flop) you're better off bluff-catching the river anyway, so again, no river bet for me. He's played his aces oddly/poorly anyway. SB v BB with those hands you'll be lucky to still have chips most of the time. :ok

Re: JJ is the SB? Thanks for your feedback. It was one of things you do and then after the hand you realise what a poor play it is and beat yourself up about it! Off subject, what site/s do you play as im looking to move from Poker Stars, the SNG's aren't really up my street and the MTT's fetch too much interest for the period of time i have? Thanks in advance

Re: JJ is the SB? What the hell is he doing with those aces? Just to add, the way he played that hand, I suspect he wouldn't have folded regardless of how big you bet out, but the call on the flop is enough for me to be confident that I am behind here and I am checking the turn and the river. If he bets the river then folding, as I am confident I am folding the worst hand. On the other hand, I am re-raising pref-flop with the aces. With you having made it 5x BB, I would know you have a "hand" or a pretty big bluff.... but at these blinds it isn't really that much worth a bluff that size, so with AA as best starting hand, I am wanting to ensure if you really have a hand, then you will pay to play it, so am re-raising with the AA Pre-flop. Others (far better and far more experienced than me) will definitely play it differently though.

Re: JJ is the SB? Before you put out the value bet it's best that you have a good read on your opponent. If you feel that most of the time he will call with a worst hand like 33-TT go ahead and make a small value bet. In this case he was being tricky as he probably put you on a steal and wanted to get at least one more bet out of you on the flop, as he felt that if he reraised you would simply fold. How big was your river bet? If you bet with the intention of controlling the pot then it was a good bet as he smooth-called you preflop, leaving you with a very wide range of hands, so it could be possible that you had A2x, 32s. or even the nuts, KK. So even with AA your opponent only has aces up and most of the time will not re-raise you, thus you get to showdown for a price that you can control.

BTW, if the BB re raises pre flop, do i ship em? Fair enough i only have Jacks but he may just think i'm on the steal cos of the weak limp from the button?
You can do that sometimes but it all depends on your read on the BB, and how loose/tight he has been playing. If he has attempted to steal the past 2-3 rounds I wouldn't mind shipping, especially if he likes to 3bet squeeze from the blinds/ late position. If this was the first time he re-raised you pre flop 1 hour into the tournament, you have to give him credit for a good hand, and fold if calling the raise will commit you to the pot. If you're deep you can just call and see what the flop brings.