** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Snooker: UK Championship 2009

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 Really looking forward to this tournament, starting Saturday. 2 outrights for me, taking 1 from either half of the draw. Mark Allen to win UK Championship, 1pt EW @ 20/1 Ladbrokes (1/2 1,2) Mark Allen to win 1st quarter, 3pts @ 5/1 Paddy Power I like the look of the 23yo lad from Northern Ireland. Established now in the top 16 and boosted his profile at the World Championships earlier this year when beating O'Sullivan 13-11 in the 2nd round. Got all the way to the semis when staging a remarkable comeback against Higgins before being edged out. Hasn't started this season too well, beaten in the 1st round of the Shangai Masters by Matthew Stevens before getting to the quarters in the Grand Prix where Higgins took him out. Is more suited to these longer format matches where he generally does well and feel the top half of the draw is there for the taking. Starts off with a game he should win against Stephen Lee, and I fancy him to take out Ali Carter after that. To win his quarter, he will probably have to beat last years winner Murphy or Ding. Just cannot see Murphy doing that well as the pressure of being champion will prove too much. Ding is a danger although a tough game against Murphy in the 2nd round could be to Allen's advantage. If he gets through this quarter, he should go all the way to the final as the 2nd quarter has only 1 major danger, Maguire, who will find it emotionally draining following the sad death of his grandfather. At a big price, this lad looks a bit of value and I'm hopeful of a good run. Mark Selby to win UK Championship, 1pt EW @ 14/1 Totesport (1/2 1,2) Mark Selby to win 3rd quarter, 3pts @ 4/1 Paddy Power Might seem crazy to take on an out of sorts Selby in the same quarter as the Rocket, but that's what I'm going to do. Has a difficult opening game against Jamie Cope but, if he can gain a bit of confidence from that, will look well set up for the week. Old timers Hendry & Davis would await him, and that should be nice and easy, setting up a quarters clash with O'Sullivan or possibly Trump. I'd fancy the solid game of Selby over Trump any day, especially over 17 frames. So the killer question, why oppose Ronnie? Well, this looks a 2 horse quarter and you just never know the state of mind O'Sullivan will be in. Suffered a beating to Murphy in the Premier League last weekend and uncertain as to his current mood. At a shades of odds on, is worth opposing. Selby is a player I like and needs a good run here after slipping down the provisional rankings. Prefers the longer format matches, as showed by his good run in the Worlds and I feel 4/1 is a big price to effectively win a shootout with O'Sullivan. Good luck with whatever you back. Will post match bets up later:ok

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 Sullivan - Stevens : Don't see the value in this match. Stevens played very well in qualy and on his day he's still a class act and considering you're never sure if Ronnie will show up it's a no bet. It still should be a Ronnie win but no value. Murphy - Greene: Should be easy Murphy win. I don't see him crumbling under the pressure of defending champion. Wengbo - Day: If Day doesn't perform at his fully best, i can see a Wengbo win here. Provisionally at 14th and with a bag full of confidence after his Shanghai final this asian potting machine can provide the upset here. Robertson - Ford:Again not a lot of value, i expect a Ford break through any time soon. Robertson should prevail here but i think it won't be as easy as the odds predict. Selby - Cope: Mark had a HORRIBLE start to the season, dropped provisionally to 15 (only one place above Jamie) and so he needs a win as soon as possible. We all know he likes the longer matches but he will still have to dig deep and find something good to beat Jamie here, who had a very good win in the qualys over the newborn Ken Doherty. So if Mark shows up at full potential, he wins. If he plays like he has been playing this season, Jamie wins... Hard to predict! Maguire - Holt : Paddy Maguire, Stephens grandfather and biggest supporter passed away earlier this week. Maguire will miss the funeral as he is competing in Telford on Saturday. But the Scot told that Paddy had said the snooker had to come first - no matter what happened. But for me it's too hard to predict how all this will influence his game so this is a no bet for me. Hendry - Davis :Clash of the champions from the nineties and the eighties. Over the last years Hendry is doing just enough to keep his place in the elite 16, while Davis is here and there putting in a result to hold his slide down the rankings unlike for example John Parrott. A lot of easy misses slipped in Davis' game over the last years but if he can keep that under control he still takes a lot to be beaten. I predict a brave fight from Davis but a Hendry win. Ding - Dunn: Should be easy win for Ding but again not much value. Carter - Mcleod: Mcleod grabbed the wildcard for the masters and had a terrific win over Selt in the final qualy, but he still has to prove his worth under the big camera's of the bbc. If he can produce the game he produces away from the spotlights he can be a big scare for Ali. I predict a close match, but experience should but Carter eventually over the line. Fu - Lines: I don't know enoguh of Lines to do any predictions here, but i heard he played very well in qualys. Anyway, this match is a no bet for me. Allen - Lee: Lee had a very good win in final qualy over the in form Milkins and scored two centuries doing it. But still i think Allen will be way more he can handle in this match. Allen wins! Higgins - Walden: I think Higgins was hoping for an easier draw than this. Walden, provisionally at 11, seems to finally starting to play to his full potential. Though draw for the scot but he will come through after a hard fight. King - Hamilton: This could really go either way and will be mainly determined by form of the day and run of the ball.. Perry - Bingham: Bingham is playing some nice stuff right now and could upset the higher rank player here, but will be close match... Ebdon - Trump: Maybe if Ebdon slows the game down and uses all his experience to put Judd of his game he can win this, but i see a Trump win here. He likes the attention and big crowds and just breathes snooker. Trump had an awful start to the season but had a good win the qualy and will like his draw. I see a trump victory here! Williams - Dott : Williams has beaten Dott here last year and i don't see why he shouldnt do it again this year. Dott is trying hard to come anywhere near his form that took him to the worldcrown but just can't get there while Williams is getting back to his former self after couple of rough seasons. Williams wins! Any reactions?

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 Table allocation is only done the day before. Keep your eye on the format tab on the world snooker website. When they are announced they'll be on there. I'd imagine as defending champion, Murphy will be on 1st up tomorrow :ok.

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 Tournament gets under way tomorrow & I'm keen to get involved in 4 of the 8 matches starting on Day 1. Michael Holt (+3.5 frames) to beat Stephen Maguire, 6pts @ 4/5 Corals Both sessions of this match tomorrow and I fancy the qualifier to run Maguire close here. Maguire's preparation has been hit very hard by the death of his grandfather and you just have to be concerned about how he will take it. Missed the Shangai Masters due to injury and only made the last 16 of the Grand Prix where Ding took him out. That's hardly the ideal start and with other things on his mind, could well struggle to take this. Has dropped to 7 in the provisional rankings too. Holt meanwhile is a decent player who played well in the qualifying, beating Dominic Dale 9-4 after being 7-1 up. Is usually a quick starter and if he can apply the pressure early, I strongly believe he will take the required 6 frames here to bring home the money. Joe Perry vs Stuart Bingham - Over 15 frames, 4pts @ 13/8 Ladbrokes I give Bingham a big chance of winning this and almost took him as a win bet here but I felt there was more value in the overs. The qualifier played really well in the qualifiers beating Jimmy Michie 9-2, with a break of 141 hidden in there. Is certainly capable of beating the big names, having taken out Selby in the opening ranking event of the season. Perry, meanwhile, is a battler and never does things easy so I expect this to be hard fought. Despite a QF in the Grand Prix, has not really hit top form as he only beat 2 average players whilst he was beaten in the Shangai Masters first round by Jamie Cope. Not a game for the purists but one of the closer 1st round games. With 9-7 either way required, I'll take the overs at a big looking 13/8. Neil Robertson vs Tom Ford - Over 14 frames, 5pts @ 11/10 Ladbrokes The Aussie is in top form having taken the Grand Prix in super style but I think over confidence could play a part here. Great potter but often 'beats himself' in my opinion. Not sure over the table set up here but I expect they will be on one of the non TV tables and that will almost certainly suit Tom Ford. This is a player on the up and he came through 3 rounds of qualifying, looking suitably impressive against both Stuart Pettman & Barry Hawkins, beating them by the same score of 9-5. In his match against Pettman, was 4-4 at the interval but won 5 of the last 6 frames with 5 breaks over 50 (2 of which were 100+) - that is great play in anyone's book. Also managed 6 50's and a century against Hawkins, proving it was no fluke. Don't get me wrong, Robertson is a totally different proposition but assuming they are away from the TV cameras, I fancy the lad to take 6 frames here so am going with the better value of the overs. Liang Wenbo to beat Ryan Day, 4pts @ 5/4 SportingBet This should be a cracking match and I fancy a shock here. Up from 27 to 14 in the provisional rankings, Liang is a player on the up. Can score heavily too and I fancy his scoring to put too much pressure on the Welshman. Both these suffered 1st round losses in the Grand Prix but Liang will still be on a high following his brilliant run to the final of the Shangai Masters, where O'Sullivan proved too hot winning 10-5. Has kept his form well, whilst Day has yet to hit top gear. If his potting & his nerve holds up, there is no reason why the ever improving player from China can't take this at odds against.

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 I'll take a parlay for first round and probably some in play betting. i will start the heavy betting second round when u get better feeling for the form of the players... my parlay: murphy x Williams x Wengbo x Allen x Trump @ 9.40

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 Holt brings in the first bet, just!! Both players played incredibly poorly and I'd have fancied my chances to take 2 or 3 frames there:lol. With interest in all 4 of the games finishing in the 2nd session on Sunday, I'll be keeping my bets on the 4 new games to a minimum. Having scoured the markets, there's only 1 that appeals to me. Stephen Hendry (-2.5 frames) to beat Steve Davis, 6pts @ 10/11 Paddy Power What a game this would have been 20 years ago! Both of these players are still holding their own but I'm confident that, over the longer format, Hendry should take this comfortably. Is still in the top 16, currently at 11, and still capable of heavy scoring, with 3 centuries to his name this term. Davis meanwhile has looked out of sorts this term until his win in the qualifiers although still not totally convincing. Fails to score heavily nowadays and only looks capable of winning scrappy frames. Doesn't look as focused either with his commentating responsibilities, and his new involvement with Barry Hearn will only enhance this. If Hendry can exit the afternoon session in the lead, I fully expect him to streak away in the evening for a win of 9-6 or better.

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 Good work with the hitman mate. Nicely placed for this afternoon in some areas too :ok. I'm a bit late getting into this tournament but I'm going with one outright and a match bet. 1pt ew D.Junhui to win UK Championships 12/1 Ladbrokes Ding Junhui showed in the Grand Prix that he's in pretty good nick. I thought he had the tournament won there but then Robertson went into overdrive. These longer matches could suit Ding because he's not under pressure to take everything on. If I have a slight doubt it would be his stamina mentally over a long week but he's won this tournament before so hopefully he can call on that this week. His draw is ok if he can overcome Murphy in the 2nd round. Murphy is playing well but Ding's no mean player so that will be a cracking 2nd round match. If Ding can come through that then the 12/1 chalked up on him will look a very good price in a fairly open half of the draw. 4pts J.Higgins vs R.Walden - Over 14.5 Frames 5/6 Coral John Higgins is in excellent touch and will be a major player this week but he can take a match or so to get going, particularly in this climate with so few match options. Ricky Walden is a very good player and his win in the Shanghai Masters last season has given him the confidence and the belief that he can compete at this level. Higgins has been in good nick for sometime so this should be a cracker to watch. For the bet to come in all we need is a 9-6 or closer either way and I can see this one being one of those 4-4 at half time matches and a 9-7 or 9-8 win either way tonight. So it's the overs for me in what could end up being the match of the round.

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 Good luck mate. The Higgins-Walden line looks low, can't believe I missed that. Bad start from the qualifier but he seems to be finding his feet now:hope Mark Allen has had a nightmare start, Maguire was awful too and Murphy wasn't brilliant so Ding at 12's looks a good price too:ok

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 Higgins and Walden are 4-4 at half time so I'm hoping that comes in tonight. Afternoon sessions are about to get underway. Looking forward to the end of this Selby vs Cope match. Hopefully Wenbo comes through for you Russ and the two overs come in too :hope.

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 Pretty horrible day for me today with both the overs losing and Selby all but out of the tournament at the first hurdle. +0.8pts on the match bets, but -5pts on the outrights (assuming Selby loses) so that's leaves me -4.2pts. 2 massive must win games for me tonight or the losses will increase to over 15pts:eyes. Need Hendry to effectively beat Davis 5-2 tonight which he is capable of but must produce better than he did in frames 2-7 this afternoon. Also need Mark Allen to come back from 5-3 down against Stephen Lee, that's well within his grasp:ok.

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 Quickly going to take two tonight. 3pts P.Ebdon to beat J.Trump Evs Skybet I was going to take this at the slightly bigger price this afternoon but nothing lost really as I now know Ebdon is at least in the match. Trump doesn't appear to have played that well so far and that's reminescent of his overall qualifying form this season. Back on the TV tables he'll be a tough proposition but I feel Ebdon, who's seen everything before and needs peeling off the table before he's beaten, can edge him. Ebdon has plenty of form in a tight match and I feel he can grind Trump down and see off the young hotshot. 3pts M.Allen to beat S.Lee 5/4 Boylesports Mark Allen is maturing into a really good young player and even though he's up against it here trailing 5-3 going into the 2nd session, winning 6-3 tonight isn't beyond him. He's put in 2 half centuries and a century in the 1st session so he's not playing badly, he's just walked into possibly Stephen Lee's best session of the season. He puts in two tons but consistency isn't Lee's buzzword at the minute and he could easily put in a shocker tonight. Allen has played in qualifiers before so the lack of people watching won't worry him and if he can make a fast start tonight I think he can overcome this defecit and progress to the last 16.

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 1 more for me tonight. John Higgins (-1.5) to beat Ricky Walden, 5pts @ 9/10 Boylesports Higgins was brilliant in the first session this afternoon but awful in the 2nd. There is no way he can play as poorly as he did. He's a great player in amongst the balls and Walden will have to be on top form to stop the Scot this evening. If Higgins gets off to a confident start, his heavy scoring could do some real damage. I feel the longer this match goes on, the more it plays into Higgins' hands. His tactical brain as well as his break building will be the key tonight and, at a shade under evs, I take him to progress 9-7 or better.

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009

Hendry's just missed 2 balls in that frame that a club player would get 9 times out of 10. There's been some really poor snooker so far in the opening round....maybe the lack of competition there is now?
Lack of snooker is certainly a factor mate. It's no excuse for Hendry though because he's been playing in the Premier League for the last 10 weeks. Thank god Barry Hearn is back in snooker.

Selby all but out of the tournament at the first hurdle. -5pts on the outrights (assuming Selby loses)
Ignore me:lol. Selby produces some amazing snooker to win 9-8. Seriously, that was brilliant, brilliant cueing...he looked back to his confident best. Hopefully that will spur him on to a good run in this comp.

Holt brings in the first bet, just!! Both players played incredibly poorly and I'd have fancied my chances to take 2 or 3 frames there:lol. With interest in all 4 of the games finishing in the 2nd session on Sunday, I'll be keeping my bets on the 4 new games to a minimum. Having scoured the markets, there's only 1 that appeals to me. Stephen Hendry (-2.5 frames) to beat Steve Davis, 6pts @ 10/11 Paddy Power What a game this would have been 20 years ago! Both of these players are still holding their own but I'm confident that, over the longer format, Hendry should take this comfortably. Is still in the top 16, currently at 11, and still capable of heavy scoring, with 3 centuries to his name this term. Davis meanwhile has looked out of sorts this term until his win in the qualifiers although still not totally convincing. Fails to score heavily nowadays and only looks capable of winning scrappy frames. Doesn't look as focused either with his commentating responsibilities, and his new involvement with Barry Hearn will only enhance this. If Hendry can exit the afternoon session in the lead, I fully expect him to streak away in the evening for a win of 9-6 or better.
Good tipping mate he won exactly 9-6! :ok

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 Cheers to Bouver for his first round write up... I took Bingham from that and added it to Russ P 's Wenbo for a nice double!:clap And also the Hendry -2.5... Who would've thought that was coming in this afternoon! Selby scrapped though aswell! Overall, very profitable day...:nana Cheers Guys!

The ferrule has just broken on Mark Allen's cue so he's had to borrow one for the rest of this match. Currently 6-5 down against Stephen Lee. Going to be tough with a new cue:sad
Hadn't heard that mate. He's just rattled in a ton to get back to 7-7 so it's not looking like he's hampered too much by it. Ebdon won 9-4 to bring my 1st bet in and Walden's bang in the balls to make it 6-6 and bring the 2nd one in. Just need Allen for the clean sweep. Great call on Hendry mate :ok

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 Cheers guys. More luck than judgement though:lol. Kev, super win for Ebdon. Not a big fan of Trump but, still, cracking effort to take all 5 evening frames:clap. Hopefully Allen can get home too, has 3 tons so far in the match.

Re: Snooker: UK Championship 2009 Allen's defeat was the only blip on the snooker bets tonight. Otherwise, Hendry in at 9-6 and Higgins 9-7 to take their handicaps. +10.75 for the match bets:ok -5.00 for the outrights, but Selby still in there with a match against Hendry tomorrow.