** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4)

Still a few days until it starts but should be a great tournament with many tight groups. Its always tough to bet against Phil Taylor in any tournament, but personally I think he's due a lose, he has a couple of bad tournaments from time to time, then all the talk about him retiring rears its head! With a high quality field in this, with all players reaching at least a semi final of a major (mostly televised) tournament or highest continental money earner, there is plenty of talent on show. I'll have a look at tournament odds another day, but 1 bet that stands out for me is: D.Fitton To Qualify from Group C - (Top 2 in 4 person group) Evs. Boylesports 8/10 pts. He's in the group with Mervyn King , Steve Maish and Kirk Shepherd. Mervyn King is rightly the odds on favourite to qualify but is capable of being turned over, he's easily upset and can often beat himself. Steve Maish is the ITV Qualifier from their playoff , no mean feat in itself but he isn't the most experienced player on TV, lost in the worlds in the 1st round 3-0 and is only ranked 40th in PDC. Kirk shepherd has done little since propelling himself to the bright lights with his PDC World final in 2008 with only a Qtr final in the US Open to show for this year. He is also only ranked 28th in PDC. Fitton however is ranked 2 in WDF rankings and 3 in BDO, admittedly not as high a standard as PDC but i'd say he'd be top 20 if he ever stepped across. He is a 2 time BDO worlds semi finalist including this year and has won 2 tournaments in 2009, Isle of Man and Dutch open, the latter being a tournament with 2200+ entries.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) The groups and odds 'to win the group' (from Sky Bet before the name) and 'to qualify from the group' (from Boylesports and after the name): GROUP A 1/12 Phil Taylor (1) 1/250 12/1 Mark Webster 'evens' 8/1 Vincent van der Voort 8/11 100/1 Anastasia Dobromyslova 14/1 GROUP B 2/1 Tony O'Shea (8) 4/5 13/8 Colin Osborne 4/9 9/4 Colin Lloyd 4/5 8/1 Brian Woods 9/4 GROUP C 8/13 Mervyn King (5) 2/15 9/4 Darryl Fitton 4/6 8/1 Steve Maish 15/8 10/1 Kirk Shepherd 5/2 GROUP D 1/2 Raymond van Barneveld (4) 1/8 4/1 John Part 4/5 3/1 Kevin Painter 8/11 100/1 Francis Hoenselaar 10/1 GROUP E 3/1 Ted Hankey (2) 17/20 5/2 Simon Whitlock 5/6 3/1 Wayne Mardle 21/20 15/8 Scott Waites 17/20 GROUP F 8/11 Gary Anderson (7) 2/9 9/4 Steve Beaton 20/21 6/1 Co Stompe 7/5 15/2 Kevin McDine 7/4 GROUP G 5/4 Terry Jenkins (6) 2/5 5/4 Adrian Lewis 2/5 12/1 Darin Young 12/5 5/1 Denis Ovens 8/5 GROUP H 8/11 James Wade (3) 2/9 9/2 Robert Thornton 6/5 9/4 Andy Hamilton 4/6 16/1 Gary Mawson 16/5 http://www.pdc.tv/page/GrandSlamDetail/0,,10180~1867657,00.html

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) ok group betting from me. Group a, TAYLOR 1/14, no way we can expect anyone else to win this group, yes taylor is vurnerable in short format games but he wont lose three on the spin and the others in this group Webster, Dobromyslova,Van Der Voort, ar just vying for second place, GP B, OSBOURNE 6/4, i rate the wizard he is one of the next generation of top players along with Nicolson, Wade, Lewis , McDine Van gerwen the next ten years promises great darties, he is in a group with Lloyd, O'Shea and Woods, the latter will be the whipping boy i watched him at Lakeside last year averageing 39!, O;Shea is a debutant here and could be overawed by the PDC crowds, and Lloyd will run Colin close but i think he is a good price. GROUP C, FITTON 9/4, a good player who should be playing PDC, former practice partner of the power,who has to have good players that can push him, obviously the scandals of last year will be brought up i for one thought there WAS funny business,this will make him more determined to show what he can do he will be run close by King who has proven he is a class player right at home in the professional ranks, i just fancy Darryl to edge him out of top place, the other Maish and Shepherd can only hope that of of the big two falter as neither especially Shepherd can be expected to win this group. GROUP D, PAINTER 3/1, now as you know i'm not a Painter fan all his faffing about licking his fingers stepping backfrom oche, deep breathes, just make me hate him more but i'm goin to back him against Barney, Part and Honselaar, Barney just is'nt at his best and has'nt been for ages i just wonder if he fancies it anymore, and Part he has pedigree and can never be written off, but unless he is on top form he tends to struggle and he is'nt as big a scoree as Barney and painter GROUP E, WHITLOCK 12/5 the bookies have him, Hankey and Waites at the same odds but i'm goin for the aussie he topped the DRA rankings ahead of Nicholson whbo we know can play, so that's no mean feat, Hankey will get pelters from the crowd who know how to get to him and i don't think he'll handle it well. Waites this could be his big chance to attract a big sponsor that will allow him to defect from BDO, and i'm tipping him as my dark horse for this event, Mardle dropping down the rankings and is in danger leaving Wolverhampton pointless in this company. GROUP F, ANDERSON 4/5 odds on and with his recored here to two semis why not, now playing at the standard his game merits, he has a tough group here McDine who always performs here, Beaton when he's flowing thers not a better player to watch, and Stompe qtr finalist at WC last year, but Gary should be looking at winning this group and indeed the whole event, i expect McDine to grab second spot behind the flying Scotsman, GROUP G, LEWIS 5/4 , i'm taking a chance here backing Aidy, a perrenial under achiever the Jimmy White of darts, has the ability but not the menatl toughness he HAS to come good sometime,this is a hard group Jenkins, and Ovens will have other ideas, but i'm goin to go for jackpot ho hit top spot. GROUP H, THORNTON 10/3, i don't know if Bobs recovered from his broken hand if he is he can win the group of death, Wade has'nt been winning so mch this year, and Hamilton performed well in Dublin, but is too inconsistent for me Gary Mawson will give it a shot but go fro Thornton

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) Excellent stuff theoldmaster, I agree with pretty much all your group winners!! Ive done them all in combo's so lets hope they ring true:hope I would differ on Mcdine finishing second though I would expect him to lose both matches IMO. A few pre-tournament bets: C.Osbourne - Outright 40/1 Ladbrokes 2pts EW (2 Places, 1/3) A very consistent player. I stand by my belief Taylor is due a defeat in a televised major and I think Osborne can be the one to inflict it, in the Quarters if things go to plan. Its only a small points bet because he is in the same half as Taylor and so will meet him before the final, but with a few big name players lacking form and Osborne winning his 3rd tournament of the year in the players championship at Irvine, he is playing well and should be high on confidence. G.Anderson - Outright 14/1 Ladbrokes 3pts EW (2 Places, 1/3) The bottom half of the draw is set to be a cracking battle to make it to the final Wade, Anderson, Thornton, Hamilton, Whitlock, Hankey and Lewis are all in it to name but a few. All capable of knocking each other out but I fancy Anderson with his high scoring to make the final. He has won a players championship event this year and I reckon if he meets Wade in the Semi's he can repeat the victory from last year at this same venue. C.Osbourne v G.Anderson - Name the finalists - SportingBet 50/1 - 1pt EW If both my EW predictions come in, the final will be this, so either add it or do it instead... or ignore it completely! Group E - Most 180's - Betfred - 11/1 - 2pts Group contains: Hankey, Whitlock, Mardle & Waites. I can't understand these odds, least favourite of the 8 groups therefore I think this bet is great value. They should be 3rd or 4th favourite at worst IMO. I think this will be one of the tightest groups in this tournament with many games going the distance or near to, 5-4, 5-3 e.t.c With that in mind, the more legs played = more chances of 180's. Most groups have a whipping boy (or girl?!?) that will inevitably produce some 5-0's... most 180's come in close encounters when players are pushing each other. Add to that the quality of players, Mardle, Waites and Whitlock won't struggle to put 3 in the lipstick and Hankey (I think, can't find the facts) holds the BDO record for most 180's in a televised match and broke Barneys record of most 180's in the BDO World Championships.

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) The matches start Tonight (Saturday 14th on ITV4) and this bet looks great value Tony O'Shea vs Brian Woods 830pm (ITV4) Tony O'Shea to Win - 1/2 Betfred - 8pts Odds seem generous to me. Depending on which rankings you use, this is WDF No.1 vs 21 or BDO No.1 vs 15. O'Shea has won 5 tournaments this year, Brian Woods none. O'shea made BDO Final last year, Woods lost 1st round. O'shea is good, Brian Woods is not IMO. Tony O'shea - Correct Score - 5-1 - StanJames 7/1 - 3pts Based on the above again, I reckon Woods can nick a leg on his own throw.

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) Bettingzone preview: http://www.bettingzone.co.uk/other/betting/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=betting/09/11/12/manual_113630.html Have edited my first post above to include odds 'to win the group' from Sky Bet. Match odds (from Boylesports): Saturday November 14 7.30pm Start Mervyn King 2/7 vs. 13/5 Kirk Shepherd Raymond van Barneveld 1/66 vs. 14/1 Francis Hoenselaar Tony O'Shea 40/85 vs. 13/8 Brian Woods Colin Osborne 8/13 vs. 5/4 Colin Lloyd Phil Taylor 1/250 vs. 33/1 Anastasia Dobromyslova John Part 9/10 vs. 9/10 Kevin Painter Darryl Fitton 8/15 vs. 6/4 Steve Maish Mark Webster 21/20 vs. 3/4 Vincent van der Voort Sunday November 15 12pm Start Steve Beaton 8/13 vs. 5/4 Co Stompe Robert Thornton 11/10 vs. 8/11 Andy Hamilton Adrian Lewis 3/10 vs. 5/2 Darin Young Simon Whitlock 4/6 vs. 6/5 Wayne Mardle Ted Hankey 9/10 vs. 9/10 Scott Waites Gary Anderson 4/11 vs. 21/10 Kevin McDine James Wade 1/5 vs. 7/2 Gary Mawson Terry Jenkins 40/85 vs. 13/8 Denis Ovens First to 5 legs wins the match. Outright odds (from Sky Bet): gsod09-outright-sb.jpg

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) Good luck with those Perry. Really like that Group E 180's bet mate. May well follow you in there with a saver on Group H which I think will produce some really tight matches. 1pt ew S.Waites to win the Grand Slam 80/1 Boylesports I like Scott Waites, he's a typical BDO player for me in that he scores heavily but can be shaky on the doubles but not as bad as some. He's found himself in a nice section of the draw. His group looks tougher than it may prove to be and then his initial knockout match would be against someone from the Anderson group which again isn't too bad. Gary Anderson could be a touch fearsome, he's a good record in this and he's due to cane a big TV event soon but Waites is no mug and will have taken him on plenty of times in the BDO. If Scott Waites brings his A game to the party this week then I can see him going ok. I think this bottom half of the draw (Groups E-H) is wide open so at 80/1 I'll take the Yorkie here. 1pt ew R.Thornton to win the Grand Slam 80/1 Skybet It's fairly well known I like having this guy on my side even though he can be frustrating. He was pony when he was last seen on UK television but he has to be over those problems judging by his performances in the European Championships. If he is, and he brings his strongest game to the party he's a threat to anyone as he showed at the Tavern earlier in the year when only Taylor denied him the title in a final which ended closer than most thought it would. I was on Thornton at 33/1 in that event so why he's 2.5 times the price here I'm not sure. It has to be based on the Grand Prix but he had a broken hand in that event. Thornton's a very heavy scorer, can be dangerous on the doubles and fears nobody. He should go well this week. Those are both to 2 places 1/2 the odds. Couple of group bets too. 1pt M.Webster to win Group A 12/1 Skybet It's probably daft going against Taylor in this group but he's been beaten before and over 9 legs there's no reason why he can't be beaten again. If you win the bull against him you're almost half way there. Mark Webster on his day is a very good darts player. I still remember how he destroyed John Part on this stage last year and although his switch to the PDC hasn't gone as well as he'd have liked, he's still a good player. In what is a 3 horse race, I think 12/1 is well worth a tickle on the former BDO champ. 1pt S.Beaton to win Group F 5/2 Boylesports Steve Beaton is playing some lovely darts at the minute and his uncomplicated style has got him a long way in the sport. For me, he's playing better than ever at the minute, a point proved when he made the final of the European Championships last month. Gary Anderson is obviously the danger in this group but if he has a mare on his doubles, as he can, Beaton can be the one to top the group at his expense. Off to the Luton game shortly but will come back with match bets tonight for the rest of the week. There isn't a huge amount I like tonight. Good luck to all this week :ok

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) 80/1 e.w JOHN PART, this is one that took my attention as well as the Thornton and Waites bets (thanks for those) John Part is class world champion three times, is no mean feat remember Priestley only won it twice and John Lowe three times also, i have agood record with Part i won my first ever bet on Skybet when he won his first world title in the PDC, and won again when won the desert classic at 33s which i tipped on this site, 80s i far too long for a player of his calibre, when he is on song he is a fantastic finisher, the best in fact, which compensate for his scoring, anything around 150+ to 170 is well within his capabilities, when on form, obviously we have to expect him to perform well and he has a habit of losing sprint games but at this price he is well worth a gamble in my opinion, his group contains Painter, Barneveld and Honselaar, the two men are players who can outscore Part, but i would back Part here

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) No bookie has put any odds up yet but here are tonight's matches which start at 6pm. John Part vs. Francis Hoenselaar Colin Lloyd vs. Brian Woods Vincent van der Voort vs. Anastasia Dobromyslova Darryl Fitton vs. Kirk Shepherd Raymond van Barneveld vs. Kevin Painter Phil Taylor vs. Mark Webster Tony O'Shea vs. Colin Osborne Mervyn King vs. Steve Maish http://www.pdc.tv/page/GrandSlamDetail/0,,10180~1873817,00.html

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) There's one I fancy tonight. 3pts T.O'Shea to beat C.Osborne 11/10 Skybet Tony O'Shea wasn't at his best last night but still played fairly well with 4 maximums and a near 92 average. Colin Osborne was rubbish for the most part. Luckily for him Colin Lloyd was worse. In 8 legs of arrers, the Wizard only hit 10 ton plus scores and his average of 82.07 isn't going to win too many matches at this level. Of course, we all know Osborne is much better than that but I believe O'Shea is better than what we've seen as well and in what looks a fairly even contest I'll go with Silverback at 11/10.

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) OOOH!! Amateur lipreaders could make out what Ted Hankey was saying to the crowd after he won the 7th leg! :lol Scott Waites was doing his best to throw it away after leading 4-1 but finally wins 5-3. Surprise of the tournament so far has been Adrian Lewis' 5-2 loss to Darin Young! :loon Tonight's match odds from Sky Bet: John Part 1/16 vs. 7/1 Francis Hoenselaar Colin Lloyd 1/2 vs. 6/4 Brian Woods Vincent van der Voort 1/12 vs. 6/1 Anastasia Dobromyslova Darryl Fitton 2/5 vs. 7/4 Kirk Shepherd Raymond van Barneveld 8/15 vs. 11/8 Kevin Painter Phil Taylor 1/16 vs. 7/1 Mark Webster Tony O'Shea 11/10 vs. 4/6 Colin Osborne Mervyn King 4/11 vs. 2/1 Steve Maish

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) has James Wade been playing as badly as this for a while , I remember him playing badly , but that was a while ago on Sky sports 1 the last live tournament i watched, one things for sure i won`t be betting on him again as that looked woeful , As for Hankey , he looked like a kid that was away to take the ball home from a kickabout at the park because he was getting beat , can`t remember the last time iv`e seen such a sour loser in darts.

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) Hmmm. Value is relative. If Painter can replicate what he did against Part then the likes of 6/4 thqt Stan James are dangling for him to beat van Barneveld is worth a shot. http://www.pdc.tv/page/GrandSlamDetail/0,,10180~1875858,00.html Going to try and catch lightning in a bottle with a speculative six-fold: Part, van der Voort, Painter (very speculative), Taylor (Webster might give him some trouble but Taylor loves to turn it on against the pretenders), O'Shea (agree with kev's analysis) and King (Maish may have beaten him last week on the Pro Tour but the TV stage is different).

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) Got a touch worried when Osborne pinged in a 12 darter to open up but O'Shea came back nicely. Was a good night of darts. Sets up 2 knockout matches on Tuesday and an interesting scenario in Group D where Barney is playing like a cnut, Part can go level with him with a win and Painter will also join them on 4pts if he beats Hoenselaar. Can we get a 9 dart shootout in that group :unsure.

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) Hi. I'm new to the forums, but watching the Grand Slam of Darts yesterday gave me some ideas for today's bets. Any discussion/criticism welcome, I'm still learning :) 10pts Whitlock to beat Waites @ 1.60 Whitlock was absolutely great yesterday against Mardle, finished at 142 and 141, 97.76avg. Tough opponent as well. Today he is facing Waites, who beat Ted Hankey yesterday. Hankey was definitely affected by the audience yesterday and couldn't play his best, but Waites had still big problems with his finishing and struggled to a 5-3 win (79.49 avg). Big difference between these guys if they keep playing at the same level as yesterday and I just can't see Waites beating Whitlock here. 10pts Mardle to beat Hankey @ 1.75 Mardle lost to Whitlock yesterday, but Whitlock was playing really well, while Hankey was truly struggling with no 180s and low avg. Hankey seems to be affected by the audience as seen yesterday, so I can see some value at these odds. If Hankey ups his game he can give Mardle some problems, but if not = easy win for Mardle

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) Last night's report and round-up: http://www.pdc.tv/page/GrandSlamDetail/0,,10180~1875961,00.html Tonight's match odds from Stan James (matches start from 6pm): Co Stompe 4/6 vs. 6/5 Kevin McDine Andy Hamilton 4/11 vs. 2/1 Gary Mawson Adrian Lewis 1/2 vs. 13/8 Denis Ovens Ted Hankey 6/5 vs. 4/6 Wayne Mardle Gary Anderson 1/2 vs. 13/8 Steve Beaton James Wade 8/15 vs. 6/4 Robert Thornton Terry Jenkins 2/7 vs. 5/2 Darin Young Simon Whitlock 4/7 vs. 11/8 Scott Waites Yeah, if only just going by statistics then the Mardle and Whitlock bets seem pretty sound enough and it's what I'd go for if having to make a couple of predictions for those matches. Probably put those two alongside a couple of other likely results.

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) Leery about Stompe (97 average!? REALLY!?), Lewis (should win but he mugs himself off at times), Anderson (wouldn't be a surprise if Beaton beats him but if I had to bet, I'd bet on Anderson) and Wade (shocking performance but he won which was important. Won''t be as bad again will he? Thornton will eat him up if he does!). Mardle should win the war of attrition against Hankey...the crowd reaction for that one will be interesting! Hamilton, Jenkins and Whitlock look good to win. Thornton the value bet. My bets? Hamilton/Jenkins/Whitlock treble, adding Mardle and Thornton as two smallish four-folds and all five in a slightly smaller five-fold.

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) I looked at the match list tonight and I thought we'd see a lot of surprise results tonight. Ovens, Hankey, Beaton, Thornton and Waites all more than capable of winning their matches. I'm effectively on Beaton at 5/2 tonight and so I might keep my powder dry but I'm getting ever more tempted to back Thornton tonight :unsure.

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) Perhaps I should not be saying it now, but I am pretty much disgusted by the level of darts played today. Props obv to Stompe and McDine, who both put a great performance (how does it feel to lose with such a high avg?). But then it went soooooo much down - Hamilton sucked, but got it. Lewis was absolutely terrible, hitting 60,59, etc. And how the hell does the World Champ miss so many doubles and still wins against someone of such a high calibre as Manley, who got all the support he could? Horrible, just horrible.

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) It was Mardle not Manley and unfortunately his form is on a sharp downward curve! The Quality has since been improved by a good display from last bet with a hope, Mr.Anderson! And a bahnstormer between Mr. Hells Bells (Wade) and Thornton!

Re: Grand Slam of Darts 2009, 14th-22nd Nov (ITV4) One for me for a bit later. 3pts C.Lloyd to beat T.O'Shea 5/4 Stan James Although he can get through by not winning, given that Osborne plays Woods after this match Colin Lloyd will be thinking he needs to win to go through. Any win sees him through regardless of what happens in the final game in the group and I don't see any reason why he can't pick that up. Tony O'Shea has played well this week but he's not unbeatable by any means. Lloyd layed a marker down with his thrashing of Brian Woods the other night and I think he can pick up where he left off there and beat Silverback in this one.