How would you change the racing programme?

Racing is facing a crisis in these hard times, there is not as much money to go around. The Levy (which the BHA authorities get off Bookmakers) will be severely cut back. So how would you change the Racing Programme to save money? I believe there is too much racing in Britain. Idea for Flat Racing. Recently, in lower grade racing there's been uncompetitive markets. The favourite going off at SP 4/9 when betfair SP is odds against. Too few bookmakers and punters turning up to form a competitive market. If on-course bookmakers and punters don't want this stuff, why not get rid of it? What about making 60 the minimum bottom weight? Effectively doing away with Class 6 races. With those below that rating being allowed to race “out of the weights”.This will also improve the over all quality. Of course those 60 + horses don't improve their own ability overnight. But by getting rid of the lowest level, the “average” quality of race goes up (improves). It is not inconceivable that given time it could genuinely improve the standard of British horse too. Not convinced of this myself yet, but... Breeders do not set out to breed a 50 rated horse, but knowing they have a safety net in class 6 must effect their thinking. Discouraging breeding at the lowest end of the market, so in time (possibly) improving quality. Horses rated below 60 do not (imo) deserve to win a race in Britain. That is not to say owners and trainers of these horses don't deserve to win, I am not anti-owner, far from it. I know connections think the world of their charges. It tugs on the proverbial to think “our old boy will not be able to win a race”. But the simple fact is, owners would just own a higher quality horse, albeit (if finances don't allow) a smaller share. Those who don't fit the new system could still be sent hurdling or sold to race abroad. To help connections adapt, these changes could be phased in. Minimum bottom weight going up 3lbs each season. Could this work? What changes to the race programme would you make to save money? What changes to the programme would you like to see?

Re: How would you change the racing programme? I don't agree, ginge........... The horse population is a pyramid of ability, there are probably 100 bad horses for every half decent one. I think they should maintain the programme for poor horses to give owners a chance of winning something, employment for jockeys and stable staff and betting opportunities for the punters who want to get involved (it's not compulsory to bet on low grade races). I think if you did away with low grade races droves of 'small' owners would just leave the sport, lots of trainers would go to the wall and staff and jockeys would be on the dole. If you look at the all weather, generally low grade fare, the races are usually full - you don't get many 5 or 6 runner handicaps, it's usually up around the course limit In fact I'd go as far to say that low grade racing is thriving and isn't the problem. OK, so it's never going to reach the 'general public', Sky News and Radio 5 will never mention it, 98% of the population won't even know it's going on - but why spoil it for the many people involved ?

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.