Triple Crown for 4 yr olds plus

It would be great to see some of these superstar horses we have recently witnessed run as 4 yr olds but what is there to entice their trainers and owners to keep them on as 4 yr olds? Would something like a triple crown entice trainers or owners as we would then get to see matchups like Zarkava, New Approach, Ravens Pass etc rather than see a horse until it has run as a 3yr old and be then packed off to stud. My idea would be either A. 3 brand new races for 4 yr olds, one run on Guineas day at Newmarket, one run on Derby day at Epsom and one run on Leger Day at Doncaster to run alongside the classics with fillies getting an allowance against the colts. B. New races threaded between the classics that 3 and 4yr olds could go for and see the youngsters race against the older horses so we could see some classic match ups that we have missed which are an alternative to the classics. There are so many matchups we would have loved to witness, I'd have loved to have seen O'Briens top horses from last year stay on and run this year and same goes for horses like Sea The Stars and Rip Van Winkle who will be probably sent to stud after this season. I noticed a few comments in the Sea The Stars threads and agree that it is exciting in the jumps knowing we will see the likes of Denman and Kauto Star for a few years and a flat alternative would be great but there isn´t one. What are your thoughts?

Re: Triple Crown for 4 yr olds plus The problem is the racing calendar is far too packed as it is, we would end up with very small fields I reckon. I totally agree with the romantics of it, the life of a top flat racehorse is far too short on the track which is why in my eyes the great horses are jumping fences, coming back year after year taking on all the young guns and letting us see different clashes that brings. Also to see a horse mature from a 3yo novice upwards for 8 or 9 years. I think Stoute is best trainer for keeping older horses going but at the end of the day its the owners who want their investment looking after. Eh, If I was the owner of STS this year I would have gone for the triple crown, i mean how many horses will ever get the chance, I know he probably doesnt stay the ledger trip but against that lot i reckon he would have got away with it, Who will remember the race he won in Ireland instead in a few years time, we would never forget a triple crown winner. I think the whole racing calendar wants a shake up anyway, from top to bottom but thats another thread maybe.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.