Horse

billy the punter

Playing in my first HORSE tournament tomorrow and was wondering if any PL'ers are regular HORSE MTT'ers? I know Al has played a few. I class PLO/PLO8 my strongest game, I'm obviously experienced at hold em and I've played 7stud at cash to decent stakes. If I were to play a cash game I would choose dealer's choice, it's what I used to play a lot and I feel I adapt constantly to different games. I recently won a ROE tournament live (round of NLHE, round of PLO) so I think HORSE will suit me. I have no experience of Razz and limited experience of Hi-lo 7stud. My limit hold'em wouldn't be overly strong - I plan just to rock it for that. Any thoughts or help for what I should expect from a HORSE tournament? Razz tips especially helpful. :ok

Re: Horse hey billy i play a lot of horse in $10/$20/$50 mtts and sngs and have some pretty good results with quite a few wins:ok the good thing is your plo8/stud experiance should help a great deal here and razz and stud8 are a lot easier to play well with these skills. right razz tips first as that seems to be your weakest game. i take it you know the basics that you want the best 5 low cards (same ranking as the low in o8 usually i would want 3 cards lower than an 8 to play unless i'm showing a good low card and those to act are showing paint or at least an 8 ,then i'd just complete and steal the antes;). if i have those 3 low cards then depending on how good they are vs those to act/have acteds face cards will determine what to do. if say someone completes with a 6 showing and i'm 5 high its an easy raise and so on down the streets, if your definately ahead then bet pretty much every time ,as its limit its very hard for people not to call. the only exception is if your 2 cards ahead ,say on 4th they brick you hit a good low card and your whole hand is better than their lowest showing card then its worth letting them have a free card(hopefully theyll catch enough to call some bets on later more profitable streets) if you feel you have a similar hand or maybe a little behind then you should flat call,there are antes in the pot so if you can get in cheap do so:okunfortunately pot odds can lead you further on through the hand but you just have to keep going,if you think you can win if you hit on 7th its pretty hard to fold on 6th unless its a very small pot. so on 3rd if there are a few good low cards showing and you have an okay hand ( say 2 4 8) just call and call if someone completes. if you are well behind its not worth trying to bluff someone,it just wont work as its limit:lol there are some exceptions like your showing good low cards but have paired your hole cards. if the opponent doesnt look like he has a good hand then its worth keep throwing in bets in this situation once you get to 6th a big bet can sometimes get rid of someone here. conversly its good to call with a mediocre hand if you think your opponents capable of this;) its a judgement thing and every chip counts in limit,working out who will and wont do this is very important and saving a big bet on 7th or calling down with bad but winning hand makes all the difference:ok also there are nut peddlers that will only want big hands and dont seem to understand the pot odds,sometimes you can get them off a hand but its usually best to try this in a small pot when you get to 6th and can put a big bet in,even if they dont really understand its not hard for them to work out 100 in a 1500 pot with anything half decents a no brainer. as with stud keep a good eye out for the dead cards and how they effect you /your opponent. okay stud hilo next similar to 08 here really but its easier to work out which side of a pot others have and take advantage:ok hands with very good potential both ways are no brainers stuff like aa2 345 a23s etc etc are very good starting hands but dependant on the other players cards other hands can come into play and be good winners:ok say one player raises showing a queen and another reraises with a king (probably both having a pair) then you should call with a disjoined low hand because it will be hard for them to fold even if you carry on hitting low,half of a 3 way pot is always good:) same the other way as well if theres a lot of low looking hands a big pp is great because 1 they block each other and 2 again your hopefully getting half a 3+way pot how it goes from there is dependant on what drops but usually you can make a good amout by keeping as many others in the pot while getting as much in as possible,once you get the hang of that its simple. try not to get too deep into a hand if your on the wrong end of this tho as drawing for half the pots gonna kill you,once there a lot in the pot even then you still have to call so try not to get in that situation if your looking at the second best high hand or low hand after 5th street with bets going in fold while you can. hope this helps a bit:hope