Cricket: England vs Australia Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series

Sport Cricket
Event T20 England v Australia
Selection Lay England (Lay)
Strength 10/10
Date 30/08/2009
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 2.42 (Lay)
Reasoning I think England really struggle in this match. Very different teams from the Ashes and Australia look to be much stronger. Batting in particular, Australia have a lot of big hitters and have more chance of big score. Also in bowling I think slight edge to Australia and they look very strong today.

Re: T20 England v Australia Not gonna have a bet on the match result as I don't think there's much value either way. Top Aussie Batsmen - S.Watson @ 7/2 Bet365 Shane Watson was in good form with the bat in the test series and hopefully takes that to the twenty twenty match, he does not have a great record with the bat in T20 matches for hes country but averages just below 36 in first class cricket, if he gets in he can get a high score. Top England Batsmen - J.Denly @ 4/1 Bet365 Joe Denly scored 67 for hes country against Ireland midweek and should retain a place in the side here, he has helped Kent to finals day in recent years and although this is a step up for him I don't think he'll be out of place here and will be gunning for runs. Top Aussie Bowler - B.Hilfenhaus @ 4/1 William Hill Hilfenhaus may shine here for the Aussies today, I think hes the value play in this market, goes for around a run a ball in T20 so far picking up eight wickets, he'll be a key bowler for them this afternoon and should take a few. Top England Bowler - J.Anderson @ 5/2 Bluesq Anderson knows Old Trafford well and England will be looking at him as there main wicket taker this afternoon, he doesn't have the best stats in T20 matches but he can perform well at this ground, should lead from the front.

Re: T20 England v Australia 3 for me. Hopefully I can find some form along the way. 3pts England to beat Australia 5/4 Sportingbet England take some momentum into this match having won the Ashes just a week ago. They laboured to victory in their warm up match with Ireland but conditions were awful. They good thing from their point of view is that Ireland's innings was only 20 overs so the bowlers have had some good preparation for today. Australia walloped Scotland but we've seen in the past, Scotland aren't anywhere near good enough for this level. In fact, they are a level below Ireland. England will name a similar if not the same side to the one that played Ireland on Thursday. Broad and Anderson could return for Bresnan and Sidebottom but England like Sidebottom in this format. You'd think 2 spinners would be likely at Old Trafford so Adil Rashid and Graeme Swann both look set to play. Australia will be much changed from the final test match but should name the same side which played Scotland on Friday. Ricky Ponting and Brad Haddin are back in Australia now so Michael Clarke skippers the side. David Hussey has replaced his brother in the side while Adam Voges will also play. Dirk Nannes will play in this game having previously played for Holland in international cricket. Brett Lee should make his 1st appearance against England this summer too. Australia's record in twenty20 cricket is very poor and they looked rubbish in the world twenty20 earlier in the year, never threatening a win. They've lost their last 5 twenty20 matches and while I don't think England are a great deal better in this format, I think we have enough to win this match. It may not be by 100 runs like the last time the sides met on English soil but I do think England will win. 3pts Under 8.5 6's 5/6 Skybet I don't think we'll see too many 6's today. Both bowling attacks are pretty good and neither batting lineup is at full strength with both sides missing their best batsman. One of the surprising things about Australia over the last 12 months, both in twenty20 cricket and ODI's is the lack of 6's they've been hitting and with Symonds now out of this side and Haddin injured that may not improve much in these series. England have never hit too many 6's generally either unless freak instances like Dimi's 5 in a row at The Oval come about. Generally, Old Trafford offers big boundaries and a slightly slower wicket. We don't usually see too many 6's at Lancashire games here and I don't expect to see more than 8 here. 1pt ew J.Trott Top England Batsman 11/2 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Jonathan Trott has already shown all his class with his 2 innings against Australia last week. He batted 3 on Thursday and I would hope he bats there again today if he doesn't open. Trott was the top scorer in the domestic twenty20 this season and in truth nobody else was really close with Michael Lumb some 82 runs away back in 2nd. Trott has performed well for Warwickshire in this format for a couple of years now and having played so well last weekend I think he's a superb ew bet at 11/2 today.

Re: Cricket: England vs Australia Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series Play the fcuking game for gods sake. What difference does delaying the sodding thing 5 mins a time make. We could've had 10 overs by now :wall:wall. I can see what's coming here. Delay delay delay then in an hours time it will truly piss down and be abandoned and my 6's bet which is as good as a winner will be void. GET ON WITH IT :loon.

Re: Cricket: England vs Australia Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series Try again

Sport Cricket
Event T20 England v Australia
Selection Lay England (Lay)
Strength 10/10
Date 01/09/2009
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 2.46 (Lay)
Reasoning Try the same bet as last time. Saw nothing in that game to suggest England going to win this. Australia did OK with the bat, maybe would have liked a few more runs. But early on they looked very good with ball with Lee and Johnson, causing problems England bowlers could not. Don't think this England batting is very strong and however the game goes they will struggle to get the runs.

Re: Cricket: England vs Australia Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series England LAY @ 2.46 Betfair (£755 to LAY) I see enough of the first game to oppose England here, I thought the Aussies score was around par and it showed when England went out to bat and lost two quick wickets, Australia have a decent batting line up with a couple of big hitters, Australia of obviously gunning for revenge on the test series and they're worth a bet tonight. Top Aussie Batsmen - S.Watson @ 4/1 Coral I wrote this the other day....Shane Watson was in good form with the bat in the test series and hopefully takes that to the twenty twenty match, he does not have a great record with the bat in T20 matches for hes country but averages just below 36 in first class cricket, if he gets in he can get a high score. He got out to a pretty poor shot but I'll give him another chance. Top England Batsmen - J.Denly @ 4/1 Coral I wrote this the other day....Joe Denly scored 67 for hes country against Ireland midweek and should retain a place in the side here, he has helped Kent to finals day in recent years and although this is a step up for him I don't think he'll be out of place here and will be gunning for runs. He was out for a golden duck and whilst that is not ideal I can't rule him out on 1 ball bowled. Top Aussie Bowler - B.Lee @ 9/4 Bet365 Brett Lee looked in good form with the ball in his only over the other day dismissing Denly, he had an injury plagued test series and will be looking to bounce back in the T20 matches and one dayers.

Re: Cricket: England vs Australia Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series 3 for me again tonight. Same 3 bets as Sunday apart from an Aussie top bat rather than an England one. Hopefully the forecasted rain isn't too bad or better still slides down the side of the ground and we get a game in. 3pts England to win 2nd Twenty20 International 5/4 Stan James England had the better of the play that was possible on Sunday and having thought they'd win on Sunday, I saw nothing to change my mind. Brett Lee and Mitchell Johnson came in with a lot of hostility but England despite being 4/2 weren't out of the game when the rain came. This match will be played on the same wicket as Sunday's game so the pitch should be a lot slower which will negate anything Lee, Johnson and Nannes can deliver. Instead, England's bowlers bowling the cutters and off spinners could well prove dividends. Most of the Aussie batsmen struggled with the pace of the wicket and it's the kind of wicket English batsmen play a lot on with twenty20 matches being in a short period of time in the domestic format. England played well on Sunday and but for Denly dropping a catch we'd have been chasing 120 rather than 145. A similar performance tonight, along with taking any chances that come our way should be good enough to win this match. 3pts Under 7 6's 11/8 Sportingbet There never looked like being 7 6's on Sunday and on a wicket which I expect to play much slower and in day/night conditions I don't see how there is going to be 7 or more tonight. Only Cameron White hit anything like a 6 on Sunday and he went on to hit 3 of them. England don't tend to hit aerially so I don't think we'll be troubling the scorers too much with 6's and as I said on Sunday, Australia haven't hit many recently either. This line automatically looks too high for a day/night game so I'm on the unders again here. 1pt ew D.Hussey Top Australia Batsman 6/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) David Hussey came down the pitch like a lunatic and swung right past one from Paul Collingwood on Sunday but in a way that's a good thing because it showed he is supremely confident at the minute. He's a class act in this format of the game and Corals are dicing with death offering 6/1 on him when it looks like he'll bat 4. Especially when they were 9/2 on him on Sunday. Hussey has plenty of experience of English conditions and the English bowlers from his time with Notts and assuming he gives himself a bit of time to get in I expect him to go well. He showed his twenty20 process for Kolkata on the world stage in the IPL earlier in the year and coming here off the back of a blistering ton against Scotland on Friday, at 6/1 David Hussey is a good ew bet.

Re: Cricket: England vs Australia Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series Would like to see us win these but there looks a vast difference in quality between the two teams in this format of the game of the minute, our openers dont look like they have a run between them and I'm not sure how quick Colly/Trott etc can score, its such a different 20/20 England with no Pietersen or Flintoff in the team. Kev, I dont think we can really say we had the better of it when we were at 4/2 chasing. Even all the news reports said England saved by rain etc.....

Re: Cricket: England vs Australia Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series

Would like to see us win these but there looks a vast difference in quality between the two teams in this format of the game of the minute, our openers dont look like they have a run between them and I'm not sure how quick Colly/Trott etc can score, its such a different 20/20 England with no Pietersen or Flintoff in the team. Kev, I dont think we can really say we had the better of it when we were at 4/2 chasing. Even all the news reports said England saved by rain etc.....
I think you can forget the 7 balls we faced. The covers had been on for an hour and it was raining while we were batting so the pitch looked a lot more juiced up for them than it did when we bowled on it, hence Collingwood bowled 4 overs of cutters. Their record in twenty20 is rubbish and granted ours isn't much better but at least we have some form twenty20 players playing.

Re: Cricket: England vs Australia Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series I dont think the conditions would have got that much better, we might of won of course, we will never know. But I'm so pressed to say any team in in the advantage when they are 4/2. Anyhow.....lets get out there and win tonight.

Re: Cricket: England vs Australia Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series I'm in a seriously rough trot at the minute but I'm hopeful it will turn around soon. Hopefully a change of angle can get me back on track ahead of the Champions Trophy. I'm going with 2 outrights for the ODI series. 3pts S.Watson Top Australia Series Batsman 10/3 Coral Shane Watson's having an excellent tour at the minute with a barrage of half centuries and they've all come in arguably the weakest format of his game. As an ODI opener he averages over 50 and he could be the one constant in the Aussie side as he looks to cement the openers berth. Ricky Ponting misses the start of the series and Michael Clarke will be up and down the order. They look the two chief dangers although Hussey and Voges can put big innings together in the middle order. Watson's in good nick though and on the quick scoring grounds of the 1st 6 ODI's I think he can top score for the visitors over the 7 games. 1pt England to win series 5-2 9/1 Skybet I think England will win this series but 9/5 about it happening isn't really for me when we're waiting 3 weeks for the goods so I'll go with a 5-2 correct scoreline. The 1st thing to mention is that if any games are abandoned then this is a void bet and that could well happen given the Durham leg of the series is September 20 :eyes. There isn't much between these two sides. It looks like Australia will go down the rotation route whereas I believe England will be pretty strong in their team selection. Joe Denly's injury may not have helped but for the most part I think we'll go with the same side on the whole. England are starting to look a better one day side under Andrew Strauss and if we can put a lead together, Australia might have an eye on the plane so we can nick a game or two along the way and at 9/1 I don't think we'll be too far away with the 5-2 England scoreline, assuming all 7 matches provide results.

Re: Cricket: England vs Australia Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series It's a side market attack for me in the 1st ODI. I think England will win but it's the 1st d/n ODI at The Oval so I'll leave the match outright alone. 3pts P.Collingwood's Performance Pts 44&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. With KP and Fred unavailable, Paul Collingwood is an important fixture in this England side with bat primarily and with the ball. He took 2 wickets in the twenty20 match so his bowling could be a canny option for Strauss. He'll bat at number 4/5 in this match and I'm sure we'll need him to contribute on a ground which is often high scoring. He generally goes well with the bat in ODI cricket and with him fielding in catching positions a lot of the time catches are never far away. I expect him to play a big part at The Oval and would expect him to cover 44pts. 3pts A.Voges (-0.5runs) to beat E.Morgan 5/6 Ladbrokes Adam Voges isn't a certainty to play in this game but if he does play then I like this bet. Eoin Morgan hasn't been in particularly good form for Middlesex this season and while I understand their consistency, I feel England's selectors should've been looking at Jon Trott or Ed Joyce as our back up batsman in this squad. Adam Voges smashed a quick 70 odd last week against Scotland and I know that's no real form indication but it's a better guide than anything Morgan can offer. I like Morgan at county level but I'm not quite sure he's at this level just yet so I'll take Voges to outscore him, if the Aussie plays. If he doesn't this bet is void. 2pts O.Shah 41 runs or more 15/8 Blue Square Owais Shah enjoys batting at The Oval. He has hit a ton and a half century here in his 4 ODI innings on this ground and with the pitch expected to be good and Shah up the order potentially then I think we'll get a decent knock from him here too. He's also got a twenty20 international half century here which emphasises further how he enjoys this wicket. If he gets in, he'll want to go on and fully capitalise because there are a few people after the middle order spots in this England side. Coming in during the middle order, he should not only face potentially weaker bowling but he could use the batting powerplay and if he gets going I think he'll pass 40 so I'll take this as a spot of value when Ladbrokes offer only 7/4 that he scores 50. 1pt ew T.Paine Top Australia Batsman 10/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) It's always a minefield predicting Australia's opening pairing but the word on the grapevine is that Tim Paine, Australia's wicket keeper will open the batting. That makes sense because he's replacing Haddin in the side so it won't cause too much change when Haddin is fit to return as opener. In truth, I don't know a huge amount about Paine but he averages just a shade under 38 in list A cricket so he must know which end of the bat to hold. His strike rate is only 67 so he could be the one they all bat around. However he bats, if he opens then 10/1 is a big price, especially at The Oval where the wicket is so good that with 1st use the openers can open up a decent lead and with the ew terms available I'll try my luck that he comes in at a big price.

Re: Cricket: England vs Australia Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series When your luck is out it's sure as fcuking out :wall. Paine was sold a massive goober by Watson and was run out by half a pitch length and then Shah, on 40 flicked his 41st run away only to tread on his stumps and be out hit wicket :\. Unbelievable luck it really is. Collingwood easily covered his performance while the other bet was void so it's -1.5pts for me when really it should've been +4 at least :sad.

Re: Cricket: England vs Australia Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series Right let's hope my luck changes. 4 for me for the 2nd ODI. It's at Lord's and starts at 10.15. 3pts England to win 2nd ODI 11/8 Stan James I seriously believe there's nothing between these two sides and so with that in mind I see the 11/8 on England here as value. We should've won the 1st game. 261 was a very achievable target but we left it too late to up the run rate. Even then we only went down by 4 runs. This England side is slowly making progress under Andy Flower and that's encouraging. I don't think either side will make any changes. England will still be without Joe Denly and Rashid bowled so well it's hard to see England going back to one spinner even if they really want to. Unless they want to rotate their players, there's no need for Australia to make any changes. I don't see anyone who would strengthen their side as Ricky Ponting isn't back until the 4th ODI. As I say, there's nothing between these two sides. England will know they should've won the 1st ODI and there were certain things we can improve on, noticably the 2nd powerplay and batting in partnerships but that will come and at 11/8 I think England are decent value to win this one. 5pts Under 4.5 6's 11/10 Blue Square Amazingly, in 100 overs at The Oval on Friday night, we only saw 1 6 and that was despite a fairly high scoring game in which neither side lost a load of early wickets. That's almost unheard of, especially as the big hitters all got in and got going. That in itself says we won't get a lot of 6's in the series and we certainly won't here. The boundaries are Lord's are always big and there aren't generally too many 6's here. Both bowling attacks are good and the 10.15 start makes batting a bit trickier 1st thing which will effectively wipe 10-15 overs of potential 6 hitting out. 1 6 on Friday isn't suddenly going to become 5 6's here so I'll have my strongest bet of the series so far on this under. 3pts O.Shah to beat R.Bopara 10/11 Bet365 I like Ravi Bopara but this is Shah's home ground and he looked in excellent touch on Friday night until he inexplicably trod on his stumps. I didn't think Bopara looked great even though he top scored for England on the night. He looked to be searching for form. If England are put into bat in the early morning conditions it could be very tricky conditions for Bopara to bat and he could provide a low score. There's not a millimetre of this wicket that Owais Shah won't know and I'd have him marginal favourite in this match. I'll take the Middlesex lad at 10/11 here. 1pt ew L.Wright Top England Batsman 10/1 Ladbrokes (1/5 1,2,3) Luke Wright is a big price here. First of all he's only batting at 6 in this innings so he should really be a bit shorter with the ew terms on offer but traditionally, Lords is a low scoring ground where 225 can be a more than competitive score. Often scoring in the middle overs can be tricky and it takes a cameo at the end of an innings to propel a score to where it should be. Luke Wright is the man who can play that cameo. He played a decent knock for England at The Oval and another one is perfectly achievable here. Wright was 3rd for England in the 1st game and looks a decent ew bet here at Lords.

Re: Cricket: England vs Australia Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series That's 2 games England have thrown away now with poor batting and poor tactics. Once again a ridiculous piece of cricket from Owais Shah has cost me a winner. 6's bet won as there wasn't a single one so -2.5pts on the day. -4 for the series.

Re: Cricket: England vs Australia Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series Shah has always been a poor runner between the wickets. If he doesn't sort it out it'll cost him his place in the side which is a shame because he's an excellent batsman against the slower bowlers in the middle of an innings but one day cricket is about rotating the strike and if he can't do it then we need to put someone in who can. Johnson played well. He played the innings I talked about in my Luke Wright bet write up. We're missing 2 key players from the batting lineup but I'd like to see Collingwood gluing it together at 4 I think. He looks like the one (along with Strauss) who can make 100. Make a 100 and the rest chip in and you've got 250 minimum and that's something we need to get into the habit of quickly. We've got to use this 3rd powerplay a lot better. Friday we should've used it when Bopara and Shah were going nicely and today I'd have used it straight away. He brought Watson and Hauritz on after 15 overs and Watson got the wicket. Had we taken the powerplay then, he'd have had to have gone back to Johnson and Lee which meant the likes of Hauritz and Watson would've been bowling in the last 10 overs when we could've got stuck right into them.

Re: Cricket: England vs Australia Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series In a bit of a hurry so no huge write up's but I'm going with 4 again this afternoon. 3pts England to win 3rd ODI 11/8 Skybet There isn't much between these two sides. England should have won both the 1st two games from the halfway position so I'll go with them to finally get over the line today with Denly possibly making the difference. 4pts P.Collingwood's Performance Pts 45&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Collingwood has covered this total in the opening 2 ODI's. The 1st with the ball and the 2nd with the bat and I think this is a ground where he can go well on again. This time I expect a more all round performance from England's twenty20 captain and I expect him to cover 45pts. 5pts Under 4.5 6's 4/5 Blue Square 1 six in the series to date and the Rose Bowl is another big ground, like Lord's where not a single 6 was hit. I can't see how we're going to go from 1 in 2 matches to 5 in this match so it's the unders here for me. 1pt ew C.Ferguson Top Australia Batsman 5/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Top scored in the opening 2 ODI's and is still an each way price. Australia are not batting brilliantly and numbers 2 4 and 6 not having great series thus far therefore Ferguson looks a decent ew bet again.

Re: Cricket: England vs Australia Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series Well, you gotta have a bet to keep your eyes open. 1pt BUY Swann perf @ 33 Perked up by his contract on a pitch that will take spin and 10 overs pretty much guaranteed, Swann should play a part. One c & b and almost there. 3pts Ponting MoM @ 10-1 The gimlet-eyed executioner walks out at 3, refreshed. Doesn't like Lord's in Tests but one ton in two knocks here v England in ODIs. Could get a crushingly big score or be done lbw Broad for 4. Perf spread is a buy @ 45 but fixed odds on Ricky Returns is maybe the safer way in.

Re: Cricket: England vs Australia Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series -3pts from the one game punt in these ODIs. It would be ultimate ignomy to end on the wrong side of the punting ledger having endured this overblown 'series' so will press on. 0.5pts BUY Paine perf @ 50 Aus keeper growing in stature, safe (and stumping sharp) with the gloves. Opens and poised for a half-ton with the bat sometime soon. 2pts Ponting MoM @ 11-1 Pure class, enduring hunger. If you think Aussie to win again then the Punter price would be more 3-1. 6pts England highest score 1st 10 overs @ 5/6 The only part of the game England seem to manage. A decent start. Looking for snicks off the quicks and Denly to give it a go.

Re: Cricket: England vs Australia Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series Time is against me this week. Just one today which is still available post-toss. 5pts Over 3.5 6's 11/10 Blue Square There's some decent hitters in these sides and unlike the past matches we're on a small ground. 6's a plenty here in the twenty20 world cup and 4 6's isn't too much here. A good pitch and weakened bowling attacks should lead to 4 6's at least.