** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

World Athletics Championship

Re: World Athletics Championship 3 for me tonight. I often look for the value as we've seen so far this competition but I like the look of 3 favourites this evening. 4pts B.Vlasic to win Womens High Jump 19/20 Sportingbet While it's dangerous and often folly to suggest a high jump can be a 2 horse race, this one looks like a stone cold 2 horse race between the defending champion Blanka Vlasic and home girl Ariane Friedrich. These two have been fairly well clear of the rest of the finalists in this event this season. Vlasic, who only got silver at the Olympics last year in Beijing has a best of 2.05 this season with 2.07 her personal best meanwhile Friedrich has gone 1 centimetre higher but that was earlier in the season. The Croatian, Vlasic has won both the recent Golden League meetings and I think she'll win this as well. 4pts L.Demus to win Womens 400m Hurdles 5/6 Betfred This looks like another 2 horse race between the American, Lashinda Demus and the Jamaican Melaine Walker. Demus ran a personal best just 2 weeks ago in Monaco so it was clear she was in good form coming into this event but she cruised through her semi final as well making her very much the one to beat. Melaine Walker is head and shoulders the 2nd best in the field this season having run a solid seasons best in the semi final here and the Olympic champion will give Demus the hardest test. Demus was 2nd in this 4 years ago but I think she's in good enough form to go one better here in Berlin. 5pts W.Spearmon to win Mens 200m w/o Bolt Evs Skybet If you're looking for a gold medal contest, don't watch this race because there isn't one. Usain Bolt is so far ahead of this field he's a certain winner but there will be a decent contest for the silver medal, a contest which I think Wallace Spearmon can win. He's the only other man in the field to have broken 20s this season and he's a solid 200m runner in his own right. Spearmon has a PB of 19.65s and if he can run anywhere near that it will be too good for this field. The young Panama athlete, Alonso Edward is making great strides this season has run a straight 20.00 but this is his 1st real championship experience. Shawn Crawford can put in a decent run but consistency wise I like the look of Spearmon who was 3rd in the Olympics last year and 2nd in this event in Ozaka, 2 years ago and at even money I'm happy to take him to follow Bolt home.

Re: World Athletics Championship Finally we have some betting for the Mens Marathon at the World Champs!! I have been studying hard all night and there is one runner who interests me initially at the prices and that is Benjamin Kolum Kiptoo. Amazingly this Kenyan didn't start running until 2005 aged 26 and ran his first marathon a year later. Under the guidance of probably one of the best trainers in the world he has been undefeated in his last 3 marathons including setting a course record in Rome in March and I think the books are somewhat underestimating him 20/1 Sportingbet 1/4 3

Re: World Athletics Championship Surprised Cheruiyot is still 20/1 at WillHill and Expekt. Have to give him a shot. Cheruiyot will lead the Kenyan charge with the supporting cast including Abel Kirui and Emmanuel Mutai. When he is on, he's been nearly unbeatable.

Re: World Athletics Championship A bit of a late one for the Ladies Marathon - but then again all the prices have been late coming out and some haven't bothered at all! My pick is the Japanese runner Yoshimi Ozaki who is running only her third marathon. In her first one she finished 2nd and then in November won the Tokyo marathon in a quick time of 2.23.30 - one thing I learned from the mens race yesterday - it will probably be quick and there aren't that many who can run under 2.25 on show. It wasn't just the the time of her win but who she beat - Yamauchi,Kosgei and Shibui would be a lot shorter prices than her if they were running and she easily beat Zakharova who is 8/1 here.The only real concern is the injury she picked up in the Spring but I don't think she would be running if she was still injured. Had to spread the bets around a bit but got £25 win 33/1 Bwin, £20 ew 18/1 Bet365, £25 win 16/1 Hills £50 podium 7/2 Hills.

Re: World Athletics Championship Anybody watch the women's 1500 metres? I didn't having woken up late but read it was a very odd race where the second favourite got knocked to the ground, the Spanish woman who 'won' got disqualified and the favourite Maryam Yusuf Jamal was announced as the winner instead with Briton Lisa Dobriesky (sp?) got promoted to silver! :eek :loon I can't complain too much but as the result brightened up my Sunday.