Finding your Niche..

Hi all, People may have noticed that I only really restrict myself to posting in the BBOTD thread, and I am aware that this is not what is needed on this forum. I think the reason for this, is, I don't feel confident enough that I know what I'm talking about to join in some of the discussions. I find this forum fascinating for the spectrum of views and knowledge on all things racing - its clear that many people on here have a deep involvement that goes further than my "mug punter" knowledge. I appreciate that I have learnt a lot from this forum, and hopefully this may continue. Being a complete inner-city urban product, I've never sat on a horse, and have only ever been to a meeting once (Market Raisen, was a good day and eye opening). Things like people commenting on how well a horse looks in the paddock (I'm clueless, apart from being able to spot a horse sweating up) are not common to me, clearly this is something I will have to attend more meetings and sort :) Anyway, looking back through my selections, I have noticed a bit of a trend. I have moderate success with 2 year olds, a high success rate with very poor flat races (what would have been 'banded' stakes in the past I suppose, 0-65 etc) and shocking at group races. So I think I'm going to start to stick to these races, for some reason I seem to be reading the form well, and its not lost on me that while my selections are normally 3/1 or lower, each time I have been above this, I have scored (bar one selection). I've had 13/2, 9/1, 12/1 on the button and a 20/1 place. In time I may start my own thread, focussing on these types of races and hopefully seeing if we can plug a few winners out of these awful races. Has anyone else found a niche like this where they seem to excel at one thing, and stick to it? I know BH (I think) seems to stick to Novice Hurdles, I think its great how one particular type of race seems to resonate with certain people..

Re: Finding your Niche.. Similar to you, i know very little about racing as a whole but i'm learning every day. Just got back from Folkestone and looking at the horses in the paddock i really coulndnt make a 'paddock pick'. I stick to the low grade flat races mainly. Have tried group races but just cant get my head around them. I also try to stick to fields of 10 and less but do occasionally go over that limit.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.