** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Shop Managers

My dad's cash betting is generally through Coral but a fair portion is through WH (local shops). He just went in to take a price and was offered 1/10 of his requested stake. Knockbacks/stake cuts can be part and parcel of gambling but it's the manner of this one that annoys me. The manager, when on the phone to trade, said he was a "stranger". This is complete rubbish. He doesn't bet in there everyday but he has used that and the three surrounding shops plenty, over the past the past 30 years. My dad heard him say this and questioned him after and he said something like..."well I only remember paying you out". The manager's lies and reasoning behind them are pathetic. He should be giving trade the facts. It wasn't a big price by the way (under 3's) and within 2 minutes of the call it was shortened. I had two rows in the shop years ago, once when they didn't have money to pay a bet (yet took it without letting me know) and secondly when they didn't have Royal Ascot form up. The same manager - says it all. I know we're going over old ground, and that most of us that have been in the gam a long time know all this, BUT, it's so annoying. Rant over.

Re: Shop Managers How tolerant are they in the shops before they ban you, I mean, how much do you need to be taking out of the till before they realise you're a burden and they want to stop the bleeding? Once you are banned, do they ever go back on the decision several months/years down the line? Is it just a case of them recognising your face, and if new staff members start, you try your luck again? Or is it cos the stake is so big, they have to ring their boss before taking the bet and so it doesn't really matter who is on till. I bet all the pro's are circling like vultures whenever a new shop opens.

Re: Shop Managers

How tolerant are they in the shops before they ban you, I mean, how much do you need to be taking out of the till before they realise you're a burden and they want to stop the bleeding? Once you are banned, do they ever go back on the decision several months/years down the line? Is it just a case of them recognising your face, and if new staff members start, you try your luck again? Or is it cos the stake is so big, they have to ring their boss before taking the bet and so it doesn't really matter who is on till. I bet all the pro's are circling like vultures whenever a new shop opens.
It all depends. The last two times I got banned the amounts I won were relatively small (as were my stakes). I think a lot of the time it's the type of bet and the way you bet that can trigger concern. For example a bloke who has 100 losing lucky 15's and then cops £50,000 on one is never going to get banned, regardless of how much profit he has made. One of my most profitable shops was the Coral at Canary Wharf but the big three are of course more tolerant and very hard to get banned from if you're turnover is "fair". I was a marked customer and every bet had to be placed a good few mins in advance and phoned through etc. But there were little restrictions though to be fair, had no compaints - a great shop for me. It was known I was with the RP at the time so perhaps that was a reason behind not getting restrictions - PR an' all that. And don't even get me started on ON-COURSE bookmakers and ON-COURSE shops. This is only my experience(s), those on the "other side" may explain things differently or better.

Re: Shop Managers Hi Billy, Don't know much about shops as I never use them. But it is unbeliveable they are quite happy to take money off "poor" punters but ban good punters. That's like saying Ronaldo can't play football because he's too good!? I can't believe they didnt pay out in your row with them as well because they did not have any money (the other story). Did you eventually get your deserved winnings? What did you have to do to get it mate? Jono

Re: Shop Managers Billy would probably have had to go back to the shop the following day by which time they'd have been able to collect some money from another shop. He will definitely have got paid - I don't think the problem was so much the shop not having the money when he went to draw, rather they didn't tell him when he placed the bet that they wouldn't have the cash that day to pay out should it win.

Re: Shop Managers

Billy would probably have had to go back to the shop the following day by which time they'd have been able to collect some money from another shop. He will definitely have got paid - I don't think the problem was so much the shop not having the money when he went to draw' date=' rather they didn't tell him when he placed the bet that they wouldn't have the cash that day to pay out should it win.[/quote'] Yeah that's pretty much it, I put the bet on 5 mins before the race and watched it in the shop, so it wasn't as if I put it on early and they got stung in the meantime. They are entitled to let you know, that was the problem, like Samba says. It's a case of going back the next day, going to another shop, or like I did demand they lock the doors for 5 mins so they can see how much money they have in the machines. :lol