** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

British & Irish Lions Tour - South Africa 2009

Re: British & Irish Lions Tour - South Africa 2009 That's the safest option Drogba and I believe that bet is a winner. I believe the Lions are going to win off scratch today though as the boks are going to be caught a bit cold I feel and I'm not overly impressed with their backline and don't rate their coach either. COME ON YOU LIONS CAN'T WAIT!

Re: British & Irish Lions Tour - South Africa 2009

That's the safest option Drogba and I believe that bet is a winner. I believe the Lions are going to win off scratch today though as the boks are going to be caught a bit cold I feel and I'm not overly impressed with their backline and don't rate their coach either. COME ON YOU LIONS CAN'T WAIT!
Too close to call for me so i have taken the +7.5 Lions. I think the engine is nicely ticking over for the lions here and should catch the Boks on the back foot today. :ok Now where is my Munster jersey !!!!:tongue2

Re: British & Irish Lions Tour - South Africa 2009 the only thing worrying me is that South Africa have planned to come into this game having not played a competitive game, its through choice not coincidence. Having said this I think SA win a tight game here and to give the lions a try and a bit handicap is probably a bit heavy.

Re: British & Irish Lions Tour - South Africa 2009 Lions lack a bit of muscle, 'ref lacked a few cells, Boks lacked wind at the end. If the Lions try and run it a bit more they will cause serious problems in the next tests. Calamity Jones leaves 6 pts behind (hate to say it, but i did tell you :\)& the 'ref looked after the rest. Keraney has to replace Byrne next week, hope they at least put Hayes on the bench because the scrum needs a bit of muscle though it was improved 2nd half. Like to see DOC get a run, he'd settle POC. Phillips pass is painfully slow but great try, Roberts & BOD are razor sharp, Bowe played a great game as did Moyne. Its a great pity the 'ref had never seen a scrum before, ok he is from the SH but still. The "Beast" was a disgrace and should have been carded for his "technique", or lack of it. Rugby is a great game & as soon as SH learn to play (according to the rules, not their"interpretation" of) and teach their 'refs the rules it could develop into a worldwide sport...................:clap

Re: British & Irish Lions Tour - South Africa 2009 There are imho 2 mains for defeat of lions today: 1. Horrible performance in line-outs, scrums and maul. 3 lost own scrums, 3 lost line-outs and a really weak maul- you can´t afford it against the world-champion. That was Austrian Rugby how I habitated..... 2. The Referee´s interpretation of rules was against the lions. Apparently there are a diffrence between northern and southern Hemisphere. In sum the lions were stronger than expected. It was in German so named "tremble-win" (I don´t know what´s the correct English term for it) and I trembled for my @1,4.... A Lions-win were easy possible- for example one of the wingers (I can´t remember it´s Ugo Monye or Tommy Bowe) had got a try in front of his face, but carried the ball in the wrong hand - and could be hold in goal. It´s difficult to say something about next Saturday- are rested Boks now in charge or the lions grow up their performance with business? I feel excited for next Saturday...

Re: British & Irish Lions Tour - South Africa 2009 This game was all about the job that the beast did on Phill Vickery and never got penalised.Lions were starved of any ball the first half and made far too many errors in the scrum and lineouts. Steyn kept us pegged down in our half and you can't win games from there. Adam Jones steadied the front row the second half but i wouldn't reasd too much into that as the boks took their foot off the gas and made multiple substitutions but all makes for a cracker next Saturday.

Re: British & Irish Lions Tour - South Africa 2009

This game was all about the job that the beast did on Phill Vickery and never got penalised.Lions were starved of any ball the first half and made far too many errors in the scrum and lineouts. Steyn kept us pegged down in our half and you can't win games from there. Adam Jones steadied the front row the second half but i wouldn't reasd too much into that as the boks took their foot off the gas and made multiple substitutions but all makes for a cracker next Saturday.
I would read plenty into Jones and, just as importantly, Rees coming on, as at the time the Saffers hadn't made their substitutions. Vickery was getting no protection from Mears in the scrum either. The Beast was shorter than Vickery and did a number on him. Jones is shorter than the Beast and did one on the Beast. Rees also is a more powerful scrummager than Mears. Before they Saffers made subs in the front row we were starting to push them back.

Re: British & Irish Lions Tour - South Africa 2009 What I meant Barton was that the game was already lost by then so although they had a huge impact (so did Martin Williams) I still wouldn't underestimate the saffers front row again next week although "we should" have a more solid platform with Jones and probably Rees starting.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: British & Irish Lions Tour - South Africa 2009 Wasn't able to post my thoughts prior to last weekend's test match. Was gutted that the Lions lost as fancied them to level the series. Still, it was a great match to watch, full of drama and certainly one of the best games I've seen for a long time. Sadly, this weekend I cannot see how the Lions can win. With Jenkins and Jones out, the scrum looks vulnerable again and that to me will be key to the outcome of the match. BODs absence is less crucial (I think they'll play Flutey) but they will miss his leadership skills. Despite the suspensions and potentially injuries, the Boks just seem to a have a wealth of talent in all areas. Indeed, the respective bench changes last weekend just highlighted the potential they have (some of their replacsments should have even started). I'm going to wait until the teams are announced before committing to any bets (just in case De Villiers does something bizzare) but am favouring a very comfortable win for the Boks at this stage.

Re: British & Irish Lions Tour - South Africa 2009 Despite the vast array of changes for both sides, I still fancy the Boks to win tomorrow's match comfortably. The Boks team looks strong and the bench far better than the Lions 16-22 (I'm also not keen on just 2 backs on the bench for the Lions). Bet for me is: 5pts win on SA (-8pts) @ Evens with Blue Square

Re: British & Irish Lions Tour - South Africa 2009 Agree. Boks make 10 changes but man for man look no weaker, particularly in the backs. This lot are fresh and will want to make a big statement. Very strong bench. This is a bridge too far for tired, battered Lions and I think SA will cover the handicap quite easily. Boks by 18 points, alas. dad

Re: British & Irish Lions Tour - South Africa 2009 South Africa v British & Irish Lions: First Scoring Play - Betfair 3.15 - LIONS PENALTY Don't know the exact stats but in modern rugby I think it is long odds on that the first score is a penalty (would like to back SA at 2.86 too - giving and overall bet at about 1.5).