Large Runner MTT's (Low buy in) and Freerolls

RuleBritannia

What is the best strategy at the start of these tournaments? Do you like to get yourself into a decent position looking to play as many hands as possible at the start? Do you sit back and watch a load of players being taken out by going all in for the first few hands, knowing that although you are still in the game, you have a lot of chips to make up? What In your opinion is the best way to go about things?

Re: Large Runner MTT's (Low buy in) and Freerolls think a lot depends on your opponents at the start. lower buy in tourneys tend to be a bit more of a donkfest with a lot of loose aggressive play ,so usually i play tight aggressive for the first 3 or 4 levels but hopefully double/treble up with a big hand/s. however if its a calling stationy sort of table then i'll loosen up but play pretty passively(small ball), if it's a tight table then i play aggressive:). of course a whole table won't be all playing the same way but you get the picture:ok the players closest to you ie 2-3 to your left/right are probably most important as your more likely to be getting involved with them,so their style of play should be most important in how you play. if you have been tight in the first few levels you should be able to pick up some nice sized pots later with a few well timed bluffs.of course this isn't always the case as you might get moved or a lot of players won't be paying any attention:\ but you should be able to work out the players you could bluff against by then ,as long as you pay attention;).