** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Germany v England 19th November 2008 - 7.45 pm gmt

19th November 2008 90 mins only.

Germany :void(0)'>11 - 10
Draw :void(0)'>9 - 4
England :void(0)'>12 - 5
This looks like a certain home win here as England as usual in this meaningless friendlies suddenly have an epidemic of injuries to the regular players! In truth the likes of Ferguson, Benitez & Scolari now will have conjured up a whole host of unfortunate knocks and mysterious illness problems that stops their stars from playing. It's an age old problem and is why England always flatter to deceive when there is a big tournament. Capello will have his first experience of the frustrations his predecessors had and ultimately contributed to their demise. There is nothing Capello can really do about it unless he gets tough and puts his foot down and says if players continually have knocks or ilnesses that prevent them from joining up with the England squad for friendly matches then they don't play in the qualifiers for the big tournaments!
Capello 'calm' over withdrawals
INTERNATIONAL FRIENDLY Germany v England Venue: Olympic Stadium, Berlin Date: Wednesday, 19 November Kick-off: 1945 GMT Coverage: Live on BBC Radio 5 Live and ITV1; Live text commentary on BBC Sport website
_45215183_-54.jpg Capello has 'no dispute' with Liverpool or Chelsea, say the FA
England manager Fabio Capello is not angry with clubs over the loss of key players for Wednesday's friendly against Germany, the FA have claimed. England will be without Steven Gerrard (groin injury) and Frank Lampard (rib) for the game in Berlin. Capello has previously been critical of player withdrawals, and reports had suggested he was unhappy. But the FA's Adrian Bevington told BBC Radio 5 Live Capello "didn't seem to be fuming" and there was "no dispute". Fulham's Jimmy Bullard and Scott Parker of West Ham have been added to the squad to replace Liverpool skipper Gerrard and Chelsea midfielder Lampard. But England captain John Terry, who has been struggling with a foot injury, is expected to be available. The Chelsea defender picked up the knock against West Brom at the weekend but completed a full England training session on Monday. Gerrard reported for duty on Sunday despite his club saying he would be unavailable after picking up the injury at Bolton on Saturday. But a check by the FA's medical staff has confirmed the extent of the injury and Gerrard has returned to the north-west. "Gerrard reported for duty last night, was assessed by the medics, scanned this morning, it's a legitimate injury and he goes back to his club for treatment," said Bevington. "Obviously [Capello] is disappointed that he's losing players. "I've spoken personally with both players this morning, they're gutted about it. "I've spoken with Gary Lewin, our physio, and he has absolutely no issue - he's looked at them both and they go back having been scanned." Gerrard played the full 90 minutes at the Reebok Stadium, but a Liverpool spokesman said: "A scan has confirmed a tear in the adductor magnus muscle in Steven's right leg, and he is expected to be out for between seven to 10 days."
_45213796_split226.jpg Both Gerrard (left) and Lampard picked up injuries at the weekend
Five Live's football correspondent, Jonathan Legard, said Capello was not impressed earlier this season when Liverpool withdrew Gerrard from the World Cup qualifiers against Andorra and Croatia to have an operation on a groin injury. Capello can now call upon just four of his likely first-choice line-up for England's first visit to the German capital since 1972. Manchester United trio Wayne Rooney, Wes Brown and Rio Ferdinand, along with Chelsea team-mates Ashley and Joe Cole and Wigan striker Emile Heskey are all sidelined with injuries. While some Premier League managers may see the friendly as an unnecessary distraction from an already busy fixture schedule, Manchester United's Michael Carrick has defended the match against the three-time World Cup winners, describing it as "the stuff of dreams". "If you ask any player if they want to play in England against Germany they will tell you it is a massive game," said the midfielder. "It is one I watched when I was growing up and wished that I would one day play in. It is not a hindrance at all, it is a massive honour. "It is England versus Germany in Berlin at Olympic Stadium. The players are desperate to be a part of it."
o.gif606 DEBATE There is a lot of flair and pace in this young side and a lot of players on form for their clubs, Germany will have their hands full for sure Shearfox
Former skipper David Beckham, who is one cap away from equalling Bobby Moore's tally of 108 caps, has been left out of the squad. Beckham has not played since Los Angeles Galaxy's season finished on 26 October after they failed to make the Major League Soccer play-offs. Capello has made it clear he will only pick players who are playing regularly, and the 33-year-old Beckham will be inactive until he joins Italian side AC Milan on loan in January. Goalkeeper Joe Hart has an ankle injury and has been replaced by Paul Robinson. Manchester City's Hart was hurt after falling awkwardly as Hull striker Daniel Cousin scored during Sunday's 2-2 draw at the KC Stadium. He will be sidelined for up to four weeks. Blackburn's Robinson, who has 41 caps, joins fellow keepers David James of Portsmouth and West Brom's Scott Carson. Despite the injuries to Heskey and Rooney, Capello has opted not to recall striker Michael Owen, who scored for Newcastle in their draw with Wigan on Saturday.
_45210665_mancienne226.jpg Mancienne has impressed playing for Championship leaders Wolves
Chelsea defender Michael Mancienne - currently on loan at Wolves - was a surprise inclusion in Capello's squad. Mancienne, who is yet to play for the Chelsea first team, joins uncapped Aston Villa duo Curtis Davies, 23 and Gabriel Agbonlahor, 22, in a youthful England setup. Capello said he will take a careful look at the youngsters in his new-look England squad in the international friendly at the Olympic Stadium, home of Hertha Berlin. "Our opponents Germany are always a very strong team, and when they play at home even more so," he said. "Everyone has told me that it is not a friendly game against Germany, but I think this will be a friendly game. We will do some experiments and after this game I will know better some different players."
England squad to play Germany: Carson, Robinson, James, Bridge, Davies, Johnson, Terry, Lescott, Mancienne, Richards, Upson, Barry, Carrick, Downing, Bullard, Parker, Wright-Phillips, A Young, Agbonlahor, Bent, Crouch, Defoe, Walcott.
I can't see how a team of players that have never played before maybe only in practice can be competitive against Germany... It is buying money here on the outright win for Germany! England will have to be careful here as the Germans are still smarting over the 1 v 5 loss in 2001 and it is a perfect opportunity to get one over us in a big way here!!! Predictions : Germany Win @2.10 ***** Germany -1 HCP @4.00 *** Germany -2 HCP @10.00 ** OVER 2.5 Goals @2.00 *** (Report courtesy of BBC Sport Website) (Odds Courtesy of Paddypower.com) :ok

Re: Germany v England 19th November 2008 - 7.45 pm gmt It wouldnt surprise me if Germany have similar withdrawal problems though or is this problem cant just be an English one? I'm not sure where to get team news to check though! To be honest, i'd favour the Germans at home regardless of the English team news so 11/10 looks tempting :ok

Re: Germany v England 19th November 2008 - 7.45 pm gmt I am happy enough with the 2,10 for Germany, surely hosts will take this one much more serious than England, in Berlin. Missing all those great players is not such a bad news, those given the chance will do their best, Germany though has better options even if some stars are missing. Over 3 also is tempting, I am watching Germany very often and imo they still have a lot to improve at the back, i.e. England should score with the fast wingers they have - surely Capello is good enough tactician to know that...

Re: Germany v England 19th November 2008 - 7.45 pm gmt There is a simple answer to that on motivation for the Germans: Germany-v-England_681486.jpg believe me they hate having that rammed down their throats! :ok

Is betting on friendlies really a good long term thing to do ? You can never be sure of player motivation. Best left alone

Re: Germany v England 19th November 2008 - 7.45 pm gmt England's waste-of-time friendly in Germany has claimed its first victim with Theo Walcott now ruled out for three months after dislocating his shoulder in training last night in Berlin. With Tomas Rosicky and Emmanuel Eboue already injured, Arsenal are out of options on their right flank, while England's team tonight will be without approximately ten regulars football365.com

Re: Germany v England 19th November 2008 - 7.45 pm gmt Germany v England England have lots of players missing tonight and with the news that Walcott is now out also I fear for England here, There is a great rivalry between these two sides and although its a friendly both sides will want to win, Of course I would love to see England turn over Germany on there own patch again but I just can't see it, Germany will be the stronger team and I can see 2-0 or possibly 3-0 to the home side against a much weakend England team. Germany on the handicap look a decent price. Germany -1 Handicap @ 7/2 >Betfred

Re: Germany v England 19th November 2008 - 7.45 pm gmt I think everyone's being a bit overly expectant of England to fail miserably. We haven't played badly at all under Capello recently, and I for one think the exclusion of Lampard and Gerrard is a positive. When do either of them play well consistantly for England?....especially when they're both together. Brown's out. That is a massive boost to the England team. He never has a good game for England, and I don't personally feel he can play as a Right Fullback. He never seems to know when to press forward or when to defend and a lot of the time he just lays the ball off and stands there...like a lost schoolboy. His replacement? Glen Johnson, who has been in outstanding form for Pompey and is a player who loves getting forward. I'm not too worried about the possibility of a midfield pairing of Gareth Barry and Michael Carrick. Both more than capable and will definitely put in a performance. So we lost Walcott....Wright-Phillips will replace him, who is basically the same player. Both got bags of pace and very capable of getting in behind the German Full backs. I'd like to see Ashley Young play some part, overall I think we will still have a very good lineup full of players that are experienced at the highest level.

Re: Germany v England 19th November 2008 - 7.45 pm gmt Jase I can see how you feel Capello will want to keep momentum going after some good results for England. However it is asking a lot of these fringe players who would ordinarily not have a hope in hell to play for England if the other missing players are fit. It would be something else if England got a result in Germany under the circumstances and a low scoring defeat I'm sure would not be a bad result either. However if Germany decide to play to their potential then they should win this game comfortably! :ok

Re: Germany v England 19th November 2008 - 7.45 pm gmt

Jase I can see how you feel Capello will want to keep momentum going after some good results for England. However it is asking a lot of these fringe players who would ordinarily not have a hope in hell to play for England if the other missing players are fit. It would be something else if England got a result in Germany under the circumstances and a low scoring defeat I'm sure would not be a bad result either. However if Germany decide to play to their potential then they should win this game comfortably! :ok
I understand where your coming from Jonesy but now the fringe players have been given a chance they might just supprise everyone as they will be looking to impress Capello. :ok Looking at who we've got playing and who is missing, getting a draw would be a result. :unsure

Re: Germany v England 19th November 2008 - 7.45 pm gmt All logical reasoning is telling me to back the Germans, however I think something strange may happen tonight. With the absence of some many English 'stars' I have a notion that England may pull one out of the hat. What basically is a second string team out to show they are more than worthy of their place in the side, they will hold no fear which I think could lead to a very open game. They may even play like more of a TEAM given the absence of a few under achieving 'world beaters' that have bluffed off after playing full games for their teams at the weekend. So im going to get on the limeys at 4s and try to cover myself on over 2.5 goals at 2.2.

All logical reasoning is telling me to back the Germans, however I think something strange may happen tonight. With the absence of some many English 'stars' I have a notion that England may pull one out of the hat. What basically is a second string team out to show they are more than worthy of their place in the side, they will hold no fear which I think could lead to a very open game. They may even play like more of a TEAM given the absence of a few under achieving 'world beaters' that have bluffed off after playing full games for their teams at the weekend. So im going to get on the limeys at 4s and try to cover myself on over 2.5 goals at 2.2.
:beer :nana

That was close offside goal though' date=' but very bad defense work from Westermann :eyes[/quote'] Thought it was offside as well, but I'm Irish !! have to get on betfair now and lay them for the WC as the patriots come out of the woodwork. Friendlies count for nothing as the 1-5 game a few years ago proves, though nice of liverpoolfan to remind us of that score in his intellectual post above ! I don't think we'll underestimate Bulgaria even though they got hockeyed last night. Back to England though - these are the players we see every week, which is why they are over-rated. We don't see the Italian and Spanish leagues where the football that is played most resembles international football. Champions League football gets close, where its all about possession and ball retention, which 80% of the Premier League isn't, so if there were more English players involved there, things might improve, as long as the fans understand and are patient. I just can't see England beating Italy or Spain when the chips are down.